PDA

View Full Version : Left rear tire on Monty worn way too fast

vipermanden
09-17-2017, 05:18 PM
I measured the depth of the tread on all 4 tires of my 2017 3820FK Monty, after our first 2,500 mile trip, and they were all perfect. Since then, I have just watched the temp and psi readings on our TST tpms, and they are always within a few degrees or a few psi, unless the sun is on one side for a long time. Anyway, on this last mountainous trip, going over the Teton pass of 10% grade for 5 straight miles, ugh, I noticed getting ready to make our last leg home, that the left rear inside tread was totally gone, and the strands below the rubber were starting to show? How could this happen to this one tire so fast? We are not full timers, and do not carry any water with us, so we travel pretty light compared to most. We have weighed our fiver a couple of times on highway scales, and it has always been in balance front to back. I have not had the chance to measure side to side, but like I said, we don't carry anything heavy with us. So is there a bent axle, or is the "Correct Trac" system messing up, or is the Morryde suspension messing things up? I put the spare on, and went the remaining 335 miles home, and so far the tread wear seems normal for that spare? Any ideas? See the pic attached. It was worn on the inside of the tire, so I am not sure if this happened on one leg, or for the last 10,000 miles? But still every other tire measures really uniform for wear.

GLS3950
09-17-2017, 05:58 PM
I would take the camper in and have the alignment checked. It looks like the camber is way out on that tire. If you keep running the way it is you will just wear out another tire.

Golfmedik
09-17-2017, 06:09 PM
It could be a bent axle or also the spring eyelet bolt could be loose. Check the torque on the bolts and also check to see that the shackles are the way they are supposed to be on that side. This happened in June to a friend of mine that has the same camper I do. He's from Montana and you will notice the salt. He had a really bad tire wear and found this after he called me and asked me for a pic of mine. Notice the difference. His was the right rear tire wear as well. The top pic was the problem, the bottom pic is the way they are supposed to look.

AZ Traveler
09-17-2017, 07:10 PM
We had the same issue on SOB which turned out to be a bent axle after hitting an unmarked frost heave in AK. There is always the possibility that it was just a bad tire. I would have your dealer look it over.

RKassl
09-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Bad alignment from factory.

beeje
09-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Non of the units from any manufacturer are aligned at the factory. You defiantly have a camber issue. Find a truck shop that has the ability to bend the axels to correct the alignment. Correct track will not correct a camber problem.

Charli
09-18-2017, 08:07 AM
We had one tire that was wearing off on the outside. Took it to an alignment shop in Mesa and they found all the tires were out but the one that was wearing was the worst. They aligned all 4 and I thought we were done.
This summer took the trailer in for new Sailun to replace the Trailer a kings and dealer found that both axles were bent. Not sure how that happened as I don't recall hitting anything and thealignment shop didn't say anything about bent axles.
Now I'm wondering how the alignment shop lifted my Trailer. Did they put a jack in the middle of the axles to raise the trailer? New axles are on order and I will have a word with the alignment shop when we are in Mesa this winter.

vipermanden
09-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Yikes, I called my dealer, Sierra RV in Reno, NV, and they are going to get back to me on what they can do about this. I also called Keystone, and they don't deal with this either. I thought maybe they would have recommended alignment shops? So we will see where it goes from here? Might be a Morryde or Lippert warranty issue? Maybe my dealer will replace rather than sending me to an alignment shop???

Ram Montana High Country
09-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Let them put on New and then get the alignment

Ram Montana High Country
09-18-2017, 03:51 PM
After reading about some of these issues and our friends having to have suspension components replaced, the "Wet Bolt Kit" was purchased - My High Country had bronze bushing but no wet bolts - his unit had nylon bushings and wet bolts ... his failure was bushing and shackle. Now were both set.

Ram Montana High Country
09-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Golfmedik - please confirm the difference between pics - is it the rocker that is upside down?

beeje
09-18-2017, 03:55 PM
I have gone through this same exact issue before with a previous trailer. The dealer and keystone were of no help. Keystone told the dealer to remove the axle and ship it to them. If they determined that it was defective/ out of spec, they would replace it. If not I would have to pay for a new one. I was not willing to take that chance.

As I said previously, NO trailer axles are aligned from the factory. They just bolt all the parts together and send them out the door. Its kind of the luck of the draw as to weather you get a unit that wears out tires or not. This is not my opinion, this is what I was told from the heavy truck shop that aligned my unit. They do dozens of them every week.

vipermanden
09-19-2017, 04:20 PM
So I am getting the same run around from the dealer and Keystone, and the dealer told me to go this particular RV and Truck alignment center, and they only align axles up to 6,000 pounds, so since mine are 7,000, he could not help me. So I guess i should just have my dealer order and install a new axle? Any idea how much a Dexter 297697 Nev-R-Adjust 7,000 pound axle costs? Of course I am outside my one year warranty by 1 month, even though I bought an extended 5 year warranty with the dealer, I guess they will not cover a bent axle, that could have been caused by a pothole etc.???

vipermanden
09-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Do you think if I need to buy another axle i could upgrade to having the rear axle be an 8,000 pound axle for a little more cushion?

Irlpguy
09-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Do you think if I need to buy another axle i could upgrade to having the rear axle be an 8,000 pound axle for a little more cushion?

I would not be buying a new axle. Please contact Dexter directly, their warranty is for 2 years I believe, certainly longer than the so called warranty from Keystone.
I had the same problem you are experiencing with my previous SOB on a trip from Canada to Yuma, AZ. One tire only was worn down to the threads on one side and badly worn on the other. Although my unit was out of warranty the manufacturer authorized 2 new tires be sent to me in AZ and a confirmation they would pay for any axle repair. I made the arrangements at an axle shop in Vegas after replacing the tire with one sent from my dealer. I checked this tire every 50 - 100 miles and there was absolutely no wear on that or any other tire. I cancelled the alignment and continued the 1200 miles home with no wear on that or any other tire. I believe in my case there are three possibilities, (1) The tire was defective or (2) That wheel locked up during hard breaking at some point and started the process or (3) It was under inflated. I put several thousand miles on the unit and had no further issues with tires, so don't just assume it is an axle problem.
Now back to Dexter, they replaced both axles on my 3402RL when the dealer and Keystone would do diddly squat. They shipped them all the way up to me in Canada and paid a local repair shop to replace them. However this was an issue with wear on the spindles as the bearing spun on the spindles.

Dexter axles are sold everywhere, they are bent at the factory to provide proper camber and caster, since Dexter does not install them on the Montana's, they have nothing to do with the alignment on the unit itself. There certainly is no guarantee that when Keystone installs them on the frame that they are equally aligned on each side.

It is possible to bend a spindle by hitting a curb or a significant pothole, an alignment shop would be able to determine if that were the case.

I personally would continue using the RV, ensuring the tire pressures are "always" at the recommended cold pressure before each trip and monitor them visually regularly.

vipermanden
09-19-2017, 07:40 PM
IRLPguy, I can rule out temp and pressure, since I have the TST tpms system. All 4 tires stay within 3 psi and 5 degrees. I did not know a defective tire could wear on one side, so maybe it is a braking issue? I use the control in my 2016 RAM and adjust the braking number to somewhat follow the speed i am going. If I am going 65 on the highway, I set that number to 6.0 if i am driving around town, I set it to 3.0. So maybe there was a time i left it on 6.0 in town, and I was locking up the rear wheels, and did not know it? Maybe i should just leave the setting at 3.5 all the time, and not screw with it? Maybe it happened coming down the Teton pass, and if i only would have checked right after that, maybe it was locking up all the way down the pass, even though I use mostly the engine brake. I agree with you, i will get a new spare tire and watch it closely on my ext trip, and see what happens. Thanks

Mudchief
09-19-2017, 08:27 PM
I have had that problem a few times and it was a bent axle. Both time I went to a regular trailer place and had them changed for less than 400 dollars. If you go to a RV dealer you will pay a lot more than that. There is not difference between a 6K & 7K axle. They just put a larger hub on to get the extra weight.

vipermanden
09-19-2017, 08:35 PM
They charged you $400 to replace the axle? How much was the axle?

beeje
09-20-2017, 05:32 AM
I believe I paid $365 to have mine aligned. As previously said 6k and 7k axles are almost identical. I see no reason why they cant do a 7k axle, makes no sense to me. Since that alignment I found a missing wet bolt on the right rear. Tore it apart and found out all the bronze bushing worn through. So I ordered all new springs/ a new wet bolt kit/u bolts etc. Installed all that at a total cost of $285. I did not get it re-aligned and have not noticed any wear on my new sailun g637 tires.

If I have any more suspension problems I will take it to mor ryde in Indiana and have it all removed and replaced with there independent suspension and be done with it. But that's I $3000 pill to swallow.

If you have the $$ My suggestion would be to skip trying to get the stock suspension fixed and go straight for the mor ryde IS

Golfmedik
09-20-2017, 04:02 PM
Golfmedik - please confirm the difference between pics - is it the rocker that is upside down?

What happens is that the shackle gets inverted due to the rig going through a low spot, off road a bit, of being jacked up. When they get this way, it pushes the axle out of alignment and wears the tires. You can raise the front end of the rig all the way up and it will pop back the correct way. Sounds like a gun shot. Or you can take it loose and put it back the way it is supposed to be.

vipermanden
09-20-2017, 07:15 PM
So are the shackles supposed to be the same direction pointing up like in the second picture when you are on level ground? I have noticed mine in different positions from time to time, but never thought any thing of it. I will have to check tomorrow and see how they are right now? You say if you put blocks under the front leveling jacks, and jack it way up, it will fix this? Interesting??? Is there a reference diagram from Morryde that shows the position they are supposed to be in?

Golfmedik
09-20-2017, 07:34 PM
So are the shackles supposed to be the same direction pointing up like in the second picture when you are on level ground? I have noticed mine in different positions from time to time, but never thought any thing of it. I will have to check tomorrow and see how they are right now? You say if you put blocks under the front leveling jacks, and jack it way up, it will fix this? Interesting??? Is there a reference diagram from Morryde that shows the position they are supposed to be in?

Correct. The second pic is the way they are supposed to be. He was noticing a bad tire wear on his right rear tire like you. When he went to investigate, he thought they looked funny as in the front pic. He called me while I was on vacation and I took pics of mine as a reference. He used the Level-Up system to raise the camper and then put blocks and cribbing under it to ensure it stayed up. He then took the right rear front spring shackle loose and put it back to normal. The tire wear stopped initially, them he noticed the very rear leaf spring bolt (the select track bolt) had come loose. So check the torque on all spring bolts as well.
Yes to the other question about it reversing itself if enough weight is gotten off of the front of the rear axle allowing the shackle to flip. A buddy had his XLR do this and MorRyde told him that was an option to getting it back to normal. Attached is mine in the normal position like the second e in my first post.

vipermanden
09-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Thanks, I will check tomorrow. Funny how my Morryde logo on my LRE/4100 is broken away just like yours.

Lenny K
09-20-2017, 07:50 PM
Now that is interesting. Something to keep an eye on when doing my walk around prior to departure.

Golfmedik
09-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Now that is interesting. Something to keep an eye on when doing my walk around prior to departure.

I've gotten to where I do look at them before each trip and when getting to the CG and then home.

beeje
09-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Yea I here ya, tires are way to expensive not to pay extreme attention to them. Only takes a few minutes. I believe most people never check the condition of, or the air in any tire on any vehicle. I am very anal about that kind of stuff. Probably the reason I have never had a flat let alone a blowout on any vehicle I have ever driven (while on the road). Knock on wood.

Golfmedik
09-22-2017, 04:03 PM
Yea I here ya, tires are way to expensive not to pay extreme attention to them. Only takes a few minutes. I believe most people never check the condition of, or the air in any tire on any vehicle. I am very anal about that kind of stuff. Probably the reason I have never had a flat let alone a blowout on any vehicle I have ever driven (while on the road). Knock on wood.

Not to mention a safety factor and a factor that affects the "pocketbook" when one blows out.

vipermanden
09-22-2017, 04:54 PM
I check lug nut torque about every 5 days, or every third leg, and check air pressure with a gauge before each time I move, and have the TPMS system, but I never looked at the shackles before, and will do that now. They want $1,000 for a new axle, so I will go on my next trip, and monitor everything, including tread wear across the tire. Then if I have a problem, I will get a new axle.

Golfmedik
09-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Check the torque in the Select Track bolts. The ones at the end of the springs that go through the yellow hexagon.

Carl n Susan
09-22-2017, 09:57 PM
<snip
They want $1,000 for a new axle...
</snip>
I don't know who "they" are but they are ripping you off. Go to a trailer shop, not a RV dealer, who should do the job for a third of that price. An axle costs about $160 and there isn't much work in replacing it.

RonD
09-22-2017, 10:16 PM
I f you take a 4 hour drive, I-80 west to I-5 south to Hewitt Alignment in Stockton with an appointment you will be fixed correctly with a good alignment and your issues will be over, these people are very good, there number is 209-948-8433

vipermanden
09-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Ron,

Will Hewitt alignment order the axle for me? will they also service the correct trac and wet bolt setup? It would be nice to do a one stop shop. It took me a while but i did find a place in Reno, NV that has the Goodyear G614's in stock, and they can dismount and mount and balance two of my tires for a total of $770 The tires are $324 each

beeje
09-23-2017, 07:44 PM
The sailun s637 is as good if not a better tire that the g614 at half the price. I put a set of 5 on this year and have had no trouble what so ever.

The Bone
09-26-2017, 05:56 AM
I just had my axles aligned and it took 3 hours. I waited for it. Had them done at Hewett Alignment in Stockton Ca. $320 for the job. All 4 wheels were out of wack. It war the inside of both rear tires. Now it feels like the trailer tows much better . We will see but no way would i buy new axles because you will still have to have them aligned it would appear.

vipermanden
09-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Bone,

Are your axles the 7,000 pound axles? Just want to make sure they don't turn me down, like the shop in Reno did, because they only do up to 6,000 pound axles?

Mel B.
09-26-2017, 02:48 PM
So I had a similar problem a few weeks ago in Oregon. The wife and I made a u-turn on HWY 97 between klamath Falls and I 5 The blacktop had about a 4" drop and as slow as I was going didn't think anything about it. A few miniutes later I looked in my mirrors and the trailer was going down the road at a angle. I stopped and the rear shackles were bent and the right rear tire (NEW SALIUNS on there first trip) was just about touching the skirting. It was 5:10 so we spent the night on the side of the HWY. The next morning I called camping world in Redding and thank god they were no help. So I called a truck repair shop in Shasta City. The guy said if you get it here I'll look at it. So I had to bend my skirtting so it wouldn't rub on the tire. It was a very nerve racking drive. So we made it and 2 young guys got on creepers and I could hear alot of opinions, one was that my frame was bent. They climbed out and said they think the frame is bent. He said his boss would be right back and he would look. So he showed up and kept looking and he said something broke. Then he told one of the guy's to pull the right rear tire and remove the leaf spring. He did and the leaf spring fell apart in a bunch of peices and the bolt or pin that holds the spring and the axle in place was sheared off. And he had the spring in stock. All this for a whopping $175.00 I was shocked, I expected alot more then that. I told him I would go on line and give him a great review. But he said no that he hates working on RV'S, well he said it's not the RV'S it's the owners that he doesn't like. So the last thing I asked was should I get the trailer tires aligned with a lazor? He said why there better now then when it was new. Anyone know a place in Sonoma County that will align my axles?

Mel B.
09-26-2017, 04:54 PM
I f you take a 4 hour drive, I-80 west to I-5 south to Hewitt Alignment in Stockton with an appointment you will be fixed correctly with a good alignment and your issues will be over, these people are very good, there number is 209-948-8433

I just called Hewitt and made an appointment for next Wed. $165 per axle they don't use a lazor but they bend the axles. She said they get alot of brand new RV'S straight from the dealer. I wanted to drop off the 5ver on Friday and pick it up on monday or Tuesday on the way back from our summer place in the gold country, But they would let me but I had to leave my truck, becuase they can't move the 5ver without my truck. So I'm taking it over next Wed. Thanks for putting the name and number out there. I called a few truck places here but they didn't sound as good as the lady at Hewitt.

The Bone
09-28-2017, 06:41 AM
Bone,

Are your axles the 7,000 pound axles? Just want to make sure they don't turn me down, like the shop in Reno did, because they only do up to 6,000 pound axles?
They didnt even ask me what axles I had. call (209) 948-8433

vipermanden
09-28-2017, 07:04 AM
I had my two rear tires replaced yesterday, and the guy at the Commercial Tire center in Reno called Purcell Tire, and they stock the Goodyear G614's, said to check my wheel bearings, because that is what that extreme wear on the inside edge looked like to him. So i did check the rock back and forth movement from one side to the other, and it did not feel that bad, but he said just call a day ahead, and then show up, and they would inspect and repack all 4 for me while I wait. He said about an hour. Then when I get back from my next trip, I will go to Stockton or before the start of my next season, I will have them check them out. Thanks

Linnea
09-28-2017, 04:29 PM
I measured the depth of the tread on all 4 tires of my 2017 3820FK Monty, after our first 2,500 mile trip, and they were all perfect. Since then, I have just watched the temp and psi readings on our TST tpms, and they are always within a few degrees or a few psi, unless the sun is on one side for a long time. Anyway, on this last mountainous trip, going over the Teton pass of 10% grade for 5 straight miles, ugh, I noticed getting ready to make our last leg home, that the left rear inside tread was totally gone, and the strands below the rubber were starting to show? How could this happen to this one tire so fast? We are not full timers, and do not carry any water with us, so we travel pretty light compared to most. We have weighed our fiver a couple of times on highway scales, and it has always been in balance front to back. I have not had the chance to measure side to side, but like I said, we don't carry anything heavy with us. So is there a bent axle, or is the "Correct Trac" system messing up, or is the Morryde suspension messing things up? I put the spare on, and went the remaining 335 miles home, and so far the tread wear seems normal for that spare? Any ideas? See the pic attached. It was worn on the inside of the tire, so I am not sure if this happened on one leg, or for the last 10,000 miles? But still every other tire measures really uniform for wear.
We had the same problem. Took it to dealer to have the axles checked. Axles were fine and alignment was correct. The problem was with the height of the hitched in the bed of the truck (we have the same truck as you). We need to drop the hitch down one more notch to have the coach ride more level. Ever since making that adjustment, we have not had any more problems. We've probably put on 1500 miles since making that adjustment. Amazing what 1" can do! Dealer said the hitch height was causing the rear tires to wear unevenly. Hope this helps.

vipermanden
09-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Interesting, I dropped the American made 25,000 pound Companion hitch to it's lowest setting, and told my wife, it still looks like we could have the dealer adjust our 5th wheel tongue up about 2" to be totally level???

beeje
09-28-2017, 06:52 PM
You would be surprised just what each tire weighs. I could not find anyone with the equipment to weigh each tire position on the camper separately at the same time so I did the best I could do at a cat scale with the help of a very cooperative gentleman. We found a why to maneuver the campers axles and tire positions to weigh one tire at a time and the #s were very surprising. Almost unbelievable. But when they are added up they equal the 2 trailer axels weighed together. Her are the #s

Left front- 2740#
Left rear- 3400#
Right front-3300#
Rigth rear- 2920#

12360# Both trailer axles weighed together.

Ram Montana High Country
09-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Viper - what is the distance from bottom 5er to bed rails (Max/Min)? How level are the bed rails?

My Ram 2500 bed rails are higher in the rear by an inch than at pin location - depending on where you drive you might have to watch pinch points

mbensonTST
10-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Interesting Thread. If anyone has any questions with their TST TPMS feel free to ask or call me directly at 210-420-0132. It sounds like the tire had a manufacturer defect, especially since the spare was wearing evenly. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS

captl27
11-02-2017, 05:08 PM
I have a 2015 Montana 3725RL with about 11k miles on it.I also have a tpms for the last 2 years. The rear right tire worn to the steel band on the inside mean while the front axle tires look brand new. After consulting an alignmentspecialist we determined that the rear spring bushing on the right side wascompletely worn out and that it had also wore into the upper spring mount 3/16thto inch causing the misalignment of the rear right tire. I find it difficultto believe that these brass bushings wore out in such a short period of time. Ihave ordered the upgrade kit for the LRE 4000 shackle rebuilding kit and bought2 new goodyears for a total of about 600$ and will be greasing every 1000 miles

beeje
11-02-2017, 05:49 PM
I now grease mine every time it leaves my property. Like I said it post #19, If I have any more issues with the suspension, it will be going to mor ryde in Indiana to have the IS installed.

mlh
11-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Mike Benson
I have a TST 507 and one of the sending units out of the 6 has quit working. It’s not yet 2 years old and hasn’t been used but about 600 miles. What’s the problem with it? Battery?
Thanks Lynwood

captl27
11-03-2017, 04:14 PM
have u changed the battery they are not expected to last more then two years.

vipermanden
11-03-2017, 07:17 PM
I was told with my new TST 507 to change the batteries yearly!

Wheelhouse
11-04-2017, 04:00 PM
I just bought a Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariart 4x4 single axle last week. The dealer informed me that the new Ford beds are 2" taller then earlier models. I measured my 2003 F-350 and found it was 20" and the 2017 is 21-1/2" deep. You will need to have the truck hitch at it highest setting, being 18" bed to plate. Next you have to adjust the pin-box by dropping it 2" to the next setting. This will give the 4" clearance you need for the bed to 5'er.
Take your pinbox tri-pod and place it under the pin. Next get a screw on broom handle and stand it against the pin-box next to the 4 square electrical box. Lower the trailer to make contact with the broom handle, do not put to much pressure to it, just contact. Now turn the tri-pod cup to make contact with the pin. Spray liquid wrench to the nuts inside the pin-box. Use a breaker bar with 1" socket to loosen 1st 4 nuts each side. Now use electric impact to loosen bolts, and crecent wrench to help remove nuts and washers but not the bolts yet. Disconnect break away wires at 4 square box. Now remove bolts and raise the trailer. The pin-box should rest in position. Raise the pin-box slowly, you may have to TAP with a hammer and line up the holes, insert bolts and nuts. After all 12 bolts and nuts are placed, hold nuts with cresent wrench and tighten with impact. Reconnect break away wires and your done. This should take about a half hour. Remember, you do not remove the pin-box, only disconnect bolts.
Hope it helps

beeje
11-04-2017, 04:16 PM
4" clearance in most cases is not enough. You should be shooting for at least 6"

ingalmi
05-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Interesting thread, I've also just recently experienced a similar problem of extreme inside tread wear on right rear wheel. Running Goodyear's G614-RST with approx. 3000 miles. After I converted from the traditional drum brakes to Disc brakes and a couple of 1000 mile trips I noticed the problem forcing me to change the tire to make it home. I thought the problem was camber on that side but took it in for an alignment check to verify the condition. The tech said it was a tow-out problem and not a camber problem on that wheel. It was too far out (an inch) to adjust and would need to replace the beam. I've ordered the replacement but before I change it I'm going to put the Monty on a level surface and use a straight edge (angle iron) across the bulge on the rear and front tires on the right side, if it truly is a tow out problem it will be quick to see it. I'm more inclined to believe that when I converted to disc brakes and the wheels were off the ground the shackle to the rear leaf spring may have inverted causing the wheel alignment problem however the shackle is in the right position now. Hard to believe I hit something to cause this condition (bent axle or beam).

dfb
05-21-2018, 08:29 AM
I just had my axles aligned and it took 3 hours. I waited for it. Had them done at Hewett Alignment in Stockton Ca. $320 for the job. All 4 wheels were out of wack. It war the inside of both rear tires. Now it feels like the trailer tows much better . We will see but no way would i buy new axles because you will still have to have them aligned it would appear.

There is an axle alignment shop in Reno. They want 700 per axle for a 7000lb axle!. 600 for a 6000 lb. ... Looks like Stockton!..

richfaa
05-21-2018, 10:13 AM
We solved all suspension issues on both our 06 3400 and this 13 3402 by having the Mor Ryde IS installed.

vipermanden
05-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Rich,

Who installed the IS for you, and how much for the axles and install? I'm thinking of doing it on our next Monty we buy, plus the disc brakes.

Dennis