PDA

View Full Version : Checked spare tire

Chip
08-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Checked the air pressure in my spare the other day and guess what? Zero psi. Great. So aired it up to 110 lbs, sprayed with soapy water to check for leaks and of course it was leaking at the base of the valve stem. Great, another one. So off to tire dealer to replace the valve stem.

This is the fourth valve stem that has leaked. The other three the pressure pro warned me while on the road.

So check your spare. Mine has never seen the road.

CORattler
08-16-2017, 11:46 AM
This is a good reminder for all.
Personally, I check all tires for damage & correct pressure before each outing.

BB_TX
08-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Good reminder. Haven't checked it this year. Last year when I checked it was about 40 psi.

WaltBennett
08-16-2017, 03:17 PM
There's none of the 'rubber' valve stems that will last longer than 5 years. They do that so dealers can get a few extra bucks when installing tires.

As for a spare, I go to a used tire store nearby and get the newest one (DOT stamp will tell you how old it is) with decent tread every four years. When they install it, they put a new valve stem on - a whopping $35 each time.

Phabask
09-02-2017, 05:56 PM
how many get there tires balanced,

DQDick
09-02-2017, 07:04 PM
i did once, haven't since. Not recomending that, just what I do. Never have rotated tires on any truck I've owned either, I do balance those, however.

allmi01
09-08-2017, 08:23 AM
I always balance trailer tires and do it with the TPMS sensors mounted to make sure thye are balanced well. Keeps them on the road instead of dribbling like a basketball. It's also a bit easier on the running gear of the trailer.

JMHO.

Mike

oddjobal
09-08-2017, 04:27 PM
When I first started (87) with a Tag Along, I asked that question, most people said NO. I did it anyway. Like "dribbling like a basketball" as allmi01 said. I always balance and check pressure before each outing

mbensonTST
10-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Hello TST TPMS is releasing a Spare Air System, in addition to our Industry Leading TPMS Systems. It will have a hose from your spare tire to the edge of your trailer that mounts to the under side and has a valve stem at the edge of your trailer that you can check pressure regularly, and very easily, of course if you use TPMS you can screw a sensor to it as well.

Please feel free to ask any questions here, or as always you are welcome to contact me directly at 210-420-0132

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST Sales Manager

beeje
10-06-2017, 08:25 AM
I just installed the tst507 system and it worked great to the loction we are currently at. I bought 12 sensors and can monitor all 6 truck tires/ all 4 fifth wheel tires and both spares.

If I had to complain about something it would be that the system records pressures that are 2-3 psi below where I had set them (checked with 2 different high quality gauges). Not a big deal though.

timandsusan
10-08-2017, 05:48 AM
I check my tires including spare at the beginning of each trip. Then depending on how long we stay I check them again. I have found that my Craftsman Air Compressor located in the front basement can easily reach all the tires without removing it. Just connect to AC power and get it done! Works on the truck also.

mlh
10-08-2017, 09:51 AM
I always balance trailer tires to keep all that vibration out of the camper.
It's almost impossible to keep tires or anything else that's under pressure from leaking. Air will go trough steel if it's not designed right.
Lynwood