PDA

View Full Version : Long Road Trip

JABURKHOLDER
06-01-2017, 07:15 PM
In a couple of weeks we are leaving for a long road trip. We will be covering 26 states in 75 days. We have been RVing for 14 years but have never attempted anything of this grandeur. Our trips are usually 2 -3 weeks at a time every month or so. I am looking for any advice or tips that any of you "long timers" may have for this type of adventure. I am not looking for sightseeing tips, just long term travel/long term RV living advice or tips. I already have the bills, medical, and stick & brick things covered. No kids, no pets.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

K0LCB
06-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Congratulations. Have fun, don't be in a hurry, if you see something interesting stop and take a better look.

twindman
06-01-2017, 07:36 PM
As we got older, we have shortened our driving days and when traveling back to back days, we almost always stay over 2 days at the 2nd or 3rd day. Gives us a chance to do laundry, shop, and rest a little bit.
Now if you are seeing the North East, you can see about 20 states in 3 days, right? :-)

JABURKHOLDER
06-02-2017, 06:28 AM
Now if you are seeing the North East, you can see about 20 states in 3 days, right? :-)
Just got back from Maine. That was 7 states in 1 1/2 days. :)

JABURKHOLDER
06-02-2017, 06:31 AM
As we got older, we have shortened our driving days and when traveling back to back days, we almost always stay over 2 days at the 2nd or 3rd day. Gives us a chance to do laundry, shop, and rest a little bit.

Already decided we are not driving back to days. We are also staying a minimum of two nights per stop. Other stops we are staying longer.

Loneoak
06-02-2017, 07:47 AM
We have taken several extended trips over the last number of years. We stop for a day of rest once a week to do laundry, etc.

There are so many RVs out there now, there are not enough campsites for everyone. You almost have to make reservations in most places. We do not like being on a schedule, in case we want to stay a day or so extra in one place or leave earlier than we planned. So what we do is when we know what day we are moving on, we make a reservation at the next place.

We stay at a lot of KOAs and have had good luck overall with them. There is the odd one I would not want to stay in again (the one south of St. Louis comes to mind) and some we thought were just splendid (Cedar City, Utah and Milton, Florida). Most are quite acceptable.

One thing to keep in mind is the maintenance of your trailer and tow vehicle. We have had oil changes on our trips, had the wheel bearings re-packed, even replaced all the trailer tires on a trip.

If you have a mobile device, get the Allstays app. It shows you everything you need to know on the road - campgrounds, RV repair places, dump stations, etc.

I hope some of this helps. If you have any specific questions, ask away.

1retired06
06-02-2017, 07:53 AM
Agree, take your time and be flexible. You will run across lots of things you will want to experience. We were on the road 4 months last summer doing Montana, Dakotas, Utah, Wyoming, and planned for two days at Yellowstone and stayed 10.

Loneoak
06-02-2017, 08:24 AM
There is so much to see across the continent! We have taken a trip out to Seattle, doing the Oregon Trail along the way, gone to the south-west, to Alaska, and we see stuff every year on the way home from Florida. We are planning a big trip next year to see some of the places we missed on previous trips like North Dakota, Oregon, the middle of Colorado, and along the west coast. Gotta do it before we get too old!

mjammersc
06-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Looking forward to hear about the adventure and also the tips here. We hope to start this style of travel in about a year or so.

I agree on All Stays app for your phone as we use it a lot just for our pre-planning. In addition to campgrounds, dump stations, fuel stops, etc, it also lists low bridges. I do a quick scan of my route options (the off interstate portions) to see if there is anything to be cautious of from low bridges though obviously keep your eyes open.

timandsusan
06-03-2017, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the Long Timers! We have been RVing for 11 years and have always taken trip from 6 week to 4 months. Like you we have taken care of the stick house, bills, prescriptions, etc. As a retired engineer, I have to plan--maybe to much but I enjoy researching places and things along our route. You can read about our travels on our trip journal page--shown below. My wife and I both drive but she prefers divided highways--I take the other roads. We have found that staying a week or more in popular places really lets us see and do things we like and take the rain day that will happen as a time to rest. During peak travel times--July and August--we make reservations in popular places like Santa Fe, Durango, and others. Also we have left the RV at a park with the power hooked up but the water disconnected so we could go on short or up to a week excursion. (Also store the satellite antenna)--we did that to take a trip to Crater Lake, float the Colorado River thru the Grand Canyon--just some examples. Have fun, enjoy meeting other RVers and see the country.
Our trip journal is http://www.mytripjournal.com/millingtontravel
Any problems with the website, send me message.

adams7806
06-03-2017, 05:34 PM
We returned today from a 90 day, 17 state, 9,884 mile trip. It was wonderful but there are a couple things I will change when we do it again. We had several spots that were just overnighters, to get us to our next destination. No more of those. We would have a minimum of 2 days in every location. I also like Loneoak's idea of not making your reservation till your ready to move on. We had reservations in every location so we had no flexibility. Also, don't over shop! We took a lot of food but found it was more fun to shop when we got somewhere so that we could taste to local foods. We did not have and RV specific GPS and had to reroute a couple times because of low clearance or other issues. We got a new GPS about 2 months in to our trip. We tried not to travel past 2:00 pm. that way we had time to get set up and relax. We stayed mostly in local RV parks and only in KOA 2-3 times. We found that prices were better, and we met a lot more local folks.

Bottom line, go and enjoy! If you see something that looks interesting, stop! We had a ball and I've already started planning a trip that will take us in to Canada and through the Northeast.

timandsusan
06-03-2017, 06:15 PM
On our Alaska 4 month trip, we took out one recliner and put in 5 cubic foot freezer--cost about $150 to bring back fish. It worked great and came back with it full of frozen salmon and halibut that we caught. All were vac-packed so they lasted a long time and this also showed us how handy it was. So now the recliner was junked and the freezer goes with us when ever we travel. We do quick meals like BBQ chicken or brisket, vac-pack it and freeze it. Then on evenings we want a quick hot meal--look in the freezer. Also it stores ice cream! and ice. So, we found it works great. Even unplugged from AC power for 6-8 hours makes no difference since it is closed. Something to think about to make travel fun. We are actually on our 2nd freezer unit--they were really not made for going down the road in the back of a 5th wheel.

The Bone
06-04-2017, 05:28 AM
I am currently on a cross country trip and wow we have seen some wonderful things. Take lots of pictures because you will love them when you get home. I also take some cash with us because toll roads and bridges. We only use our credit car for everything because it's not connected to our bank accounts. I have alredy done one oil change and will do another one before we get home. I only use full synthetic oil and drive a diesel so I had a problem locating a dealer that had my oil. If you do what I did you need to call the parts guy to see if they have it in stock. Don't call the service department because they will call the parts guy for the oil. Another problem is holiday weekends. We took off and planed on missing summer vacations for the kids but they are out there on holidays LOL.
Do a good once over on your truck and trailer to make sure when you take off everything is 100% make sure that your tires are good for the trip. The more you take care of at home the less headache you will have on the road. Safe travels.

mlh
06-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Like The Bone said make sure your tires are good for the trip. If you have China Bomb tires on your camper get them off. You are stating off in the hottest part of the summer there is a very good chance if you have the original China Bomb tires you are going to have at least one blowout that could do thousands of dollars damage to your camper.
Lynwood

JABURKHOLDER
06-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Like The Bone said make sure your tires are good for the trip. If you have China Bomb tires on your camper get them off. You are stating off in the hottest part of the summer there is a very good chance if you have the original China Bomb tires you are going to have at least one blowout that could do thousands of dollars damage to your camper.
Lynwood

Switched to Goodyear 614's last summer.

JABURKHOLDER
06-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Do a good once over on your truck

I am having my Ford dealer do an oil change (I get those free 3 times a year), any scheduled maintenance and a thorough, overall inspection before I head out west.

rohrmann
06-04-2017, 11:57 AM
We fulltime, and that is almost what you will be doing, except you will eventually go back to your home. The best advice I can give is, slow down and don't act like you are on vacation. If you have that much time, relax, smell the roses and spend some time really visiting the places you are traveling through. Don't be obsessed with making a predetermined amount of miles per day or having to be at some destination exactly on a certain day, unless that destination is the reason for the trip. Things happen on extended trips that are out of your control and it would be a shame to still have to make all the states you are planning to visit in a shorter time if you do have some mechanical or illness issues. Just have a great trip.

mlh
06-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Switched to Goodyear 614's last summer.

Good Have a nice trip.
Lynwood

timandsusan
06-05-2017, 06:26 AM
A few suggestions that work for me. I have owned 2 Ford diesels--and I have always had the service done at Ford Dealerships--I have more trust in the dealers than anyone else when working on diesel engines. And I always check to see if there are internet coupons for service to save a few $$.
Next. Yes things happen on the road to your rig. I have had service a few times on the road. I have never felt comfortable doing this even with Montana dealers--they know I am leaving their area and will not be back. So, if possible--try to make it home and use a local dealer who you can return to if necessary. I had a dealer in North Texas call me after I left to tell me that they had decided to not honor their promise to pay for the damages they caused. My message to them was clear--have you heard of the internet! They sent a check for $1500 to pay for breaking my landing legs.

shovelhead86
06-05-2017, 09:03 AM
I agree with you about staying at a campground for at least 2 days. Otherwise I might as well have stopped at a truck stop or Wally World. When driving i do like to go for about 11 or 12 hours. Stopping for fuel and eats. Those 2 or 3 hour driving days that people talk about just don't cut it for me.

CaptnJohn
06-05-2017, 01:30 PM
I agree with you about staying at a campground for at least 2 days. Otherwise I might as well have stopped at a truck stop or Wally World. When driving i do like to go for about 11 or 12 hours. Stopping for fuel and eats. Those 2 or 3 hour driving days that people talk about just don't cut it for me.

I agree ~~ why pack up to drive only 2 - 3 hours? I'm older now (69) so prefer driving 8 - 10 hours unless destination is within 12. Usually stop every 2 - 3 hours for fuel, eat, walk the dog, etc so surely not overtired in 10 hours. If snow ~ that can make a difference.

The Bone
06-07-2017, 05:58 AM
IO will have a couple 2 and 3 hour trips. We went from Ashland New Hampshire to Portland Maine then short trip to Boston. Then we will have a long drive to Philadelphia Pa. Spending at least 3 full days because we may never make it back and want to experience as much as we can.

Loneoak
06-07-2017, 09:26 AM
We have found on a long road trip that six hours is perfect. This means you are not in a rush to leave in the morning and you arrive in time to set up camp and make dinner.

When we drive to Florida the trailer is winterized so we do two twelve hour days, stay at Walmarts, eat out for dinner and arrive in Florida at our park around mid day.

JABURKHOLDER
07-13-2017, 12:08 AM
Been gone for 30 days of my 75 day 26 state journey. So far we ha been to IN, IL, WI, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA and are now in OR. Tomorrow we head to Travis AFB, CA. So far, so good. No issues, no complaints. A couple of observations...other RVers drive too fast (65+mph) and most tow vehicles I've noticed are Fords.

Every Montana I have seen travelling the opposite direction I have waved. Y'all seen me ? :)

Loneoak
07-13-2017, 05:08 AM
We have traveled extensively in the U.S. and Canada since 2008. This is the first Montana we have owned (bought it three months ago), but the Montana is the fifth wheel we see most often. There sure is a lot of them out there!

The Bone
07-15-2017, 07:34 AM
Out trip is almost over. been on the road for 3 months. we have seen a lot of things. America is beautiful for sure. We have driven 13,000 miles so far and another 800 to go. Northern Utah is beautiful. Just like the Grand Canyon. Fuel was cheapest in Missouri. looking forward to getting home. Next year we will leave for 3 more months later in the year to catch the fall colors.

waynemoore
07-15-2017, 10:20 AM
We have made several long 10,000 plus miles trips. Arizona to Maine though Canada to Georgia have not got to Florida yet. We are in Oragon now but are looking forward to getting back home. Have a long trip to the east coast planned for next year. I budget for the trips and use the following formula.
Average $45.00 a night for RV Parks. Some are higher some lower but this works for us.
Fuel, I use 8 miles per gallon times $3.25 per gallon as an average. Now I get much better than 8 miles per gallon but if it gets windy I may not. $3.25 high yes but that gives us plenty of extra money just in case. Plus the extra helps with oil changes. One never knows what the fuel market will do.
Food well we would have to eat no matter where we were so that is a push.
That's our system.

JABURKHOLDER
08-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Just got back from our 26 state, 75 day excursion. 11,424.5 truck miles and 8,519 RV miles. 307 hours of driving and 1,123.4 gallons of diesel. We have a 2016 3791RD Montana and a 2016 F350 dually, 4x4, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Everything went great. Only one issue with the truck ... had to get an oil change. That one hurt a little cause I get them free at my dealership. This one I had to pay.
Only three minor issues with the RV ... (1) the front A/C blower cage loosened on its shaft. Just tightened the set screw. (2) Some bolts were wearing holes in the underside of the left rear panel by the rear storage. Just put fender washers between the bolt and the panel. (3) A piece of wood trim on top of the left slide out in the den was coming loose. Just reset the staples and added glue.

EVERYTHING else worked as advertised. Anyone with concerns about travelling with a residential fridge, don't sweat it. Ours was on continuously from day one. (that's 75 days straight) Even with the RV bouncing down some bad roads, we had no problems with the fridge. My GPS seemed to want to take me down "billy bob's pothole country lane" quite a lot. The A/C worked flawlessly with the triple digit, dry heat and the triple digit, humid heat. The West was HOT and the south was HUMID and HOT.

Got to see the solar eclipse totality in Smyrna, TN. Kool Beans. May take in the next one in 2024 in TX. There was a wild fire near Yosemite that double in size over night. An entire nearby town was evacuated. Yosemite Valley filled with smoke and there was even smoke at our campground. Made for an interesting couple of days.

The thing I noticed most on this trip was the vastness of the wide open spaces. I could drive for hours with out seeing anything but open space. Dirt, rocks and mountains. I also noticed that a lot of that space was Indian Reservations. They got a raw deal.

One big tip I learned a couple years back about fueling at truck stops...
DO NOT SWIPE YOUR CREDIT CARD AT THE RV PUMPS OR THE TRUCK PUMPS !!!!
A credit hold between $500 - $1000 will appear on your card and stay there for 5 - 7 days before dropping off. Depending on how often you fuel and your credit limit, this could greatly impact your ability to use that credit card. Go inside and tell the cashier how much you want and what pump you are on. I generally said $75 on pump xxx.

Well, I don't want to make this post a multi-chapter book. Great trip, saw lots of stuff, had a terrific time. Any questions about tips I picked up or things I saw, just ask.

Jerry

mlh
08-29-2017, 01:31 PM
That's an average MPG of just over 10 not bad and about what I get for a whole trip with my 6.4. Now I wish my MH with its V10 get just close to that.
Lynwood

CaptnJohn
08-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Just got back from our 26 state, 75 day excursion. 11,424.5 truck miles and 8,519 RV miles. 307 hours of driving and 1,123.4 gallons of diesel. We have a 2016 3791RD Montana and a 2016 F350 dually, 4x4, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Everything went great. Only one issue with the truck ... had to get an oil change. That one hurt a little cause I get them free at my dealership. This one I had to pay.
Only three minor issues with the RV ... (1) the front A/C blower cage loosened on its shaft. Just tightened the set screw. (2) Some bolts were wearing holes in the underside of the left rear panel by the rear storage. Just put fender washers between the bolt and the panel. (3) A piece of wood trim on top of the left slide out in the den was coming loose. Just reset the staples and added glue.

EVERYTHING else worked as advertised. Anyone with concerns about travelling with a residential fridge, don't sweat it. Ours was on continuously from day one. (that's 75 days straight) Even with the RV bouncing down some bad roads, we had no problems with the fridge. My GPS seemed to want to take me down "billy bob's pothole country lane" quite a lot. The A/C worked flawlessly with the triple digit, dry heat and the triple digit, humid heat. The West was HOT and the south was HUMID and HOT.

Got to see the solar eclipse totality in Smyrna, TN. Kool Beans. May take in the next one in 2024 in TX. There was a wild fire near Yosemite that double in size over night. An entire nearby town was evacuated. Yosemite Valley filled with smoke and there was even smoke at our campground. Made for an interesting couple of days.

The thing I noticed most on this trip was the vastness of the wide open spaces. I could drive for hours with out seeing anything but open space. Dirt, rocks and mountains. I also noticed that a lot of that space was Indian Reservations. They got a raw deal.

One big tip I learned a couple years back about fueling at truck stops...
DO NOT SWIPE YOUR CREDIT CARD AT THE RV PUMPS OR THE TRUCK PUMPS !!!!
A credit hold between $500 - $1000 will appear on your card and stay there for 5 - 7 days before dropping off. Depending on how often you fuel and your credit limit, this could greatly impact your ability to use that credit card. Go inside and tell the cashier how much you want and what pump you are on. I generally said $75 on pump xxx.

Well, I don't want to make this post a multi-chapter book. Great trip, saw lots of stuff, had a terrific time. Any questions about tips I picked up or things I saw, just ask.

Jerry

If you get the RV Plus card at Pilot/Flying J you get a discount AND no hold ~ nothing. It is like a credit card but about a week before due you get an email and they then hit your card for the amount. Don't even have to go inside at the pumps.

JABURKHOLDER
08-29-2017, 05:59 PM
If you get the RV Plus card at Pilot/Flying J you get a discount AND no hold ~ nothing. It is like a credit card but about a week before due you get an email and they then hit your card for the amount. Don't even have to go inside at the pumps.

My Good Sam Club card saves me 8 cents a gallon on diesel and I have to go inside anyway to empty the bladder.

CaptnJohn
08-29-2017, 08:49 PM
My Good Sam Club card saves me 8 cents a gallon on diesel and I have to go inside anyway to empty the bladder.

With that card it is 9 cents for me,,,,