PDA

View Full Version : China Tires

cliff918
03-17-2017, 12:06 PM
I have heard a lot about China tires and have had one blow out that caused over 4K damage to my 15 3910FB.
The tires had only about 2K on them and were at proper pressure and not overloaded.
I went after the tire manufacturer Crown Tire in China. After about 5 months of back and forth they settled with me for a little more than half the estimate from the Keystone dealer.
I want to mention the saving document in this case was the scale weight slip that I had gotten at the start of out trip.
It is well worth the time to pull across a public scale and get a printed slip of the weight of your rig, the tire manufacturer will always say that the rig was overloaded unless you can prove otherwise.
By the way repair was done by an independent repair facility at half the price quoted by the Keystone dealer. The savings paid for a new set of Carlisle's.

bigskyjimmy
03-17-2017, 12:12 PM
That's good news coming out of a bad situation with the blow out damage But you replaced them with Carlisle's while good tires I did not know they made a G rated 14 ply tire and that is what these bigger newer Montana's have to have not E rated or you will be looking for another blow out Made in USA OR China IMO

cliff918
03-17-2017, 12:30 PM
New style Carlisle's with higher weight and speed rating than the E rated China tires my 2015 came with, yes made in USA

bigskyjimmy
03-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Good to know another option out there just do not see many people running them on the newer Bigger 5er's like Goodyear G614's and Saliun S637's

mlh
03-17-2017, 05:13 PM
China tires $4000 damage. Not surprised but at least you knew enough to get them off. Some people don't and go right on buying China going to blow tires. I see campers at an exit just off I81 with blown tires. Sometimes you can tell them and sometimes they get mad. Oh well!
Lynwood

fauch
03-20-2017, 09:10 PM
What size/Rating "China Tires" did you have?
This is more important than the fact that they were "China Tires"
I have been a pest on this since 2011.
We are missing the most important learning when our 'cause analysis' points straight to China Tires'.
I want to know TIRE LABEL INFO
Were these your tires? ST235/80R16E
These are 65 mph rated.3,520 lbs at 80 psi AT 65MPH.

15392 lbs is the GVWR on that trailer.
12,632 on wheels, 2760 on the hitch.
~3158 lbs/tire

mlh
03-21-2017, 07:38 AM
For those who think they these China bomb tires I what you need I say good luck I wish you well.
Lynwood

phillyg
03-22-2017, 07:47 AM
Fauch, I understand where you're coming from. But, while the tire you quoted is technically within the load spec'd by Keystone for the larger Montanas, those tires are clearly not up to the task based on anecdotal evidence from a variety of RV websites, and they are mostly Chinese tires.

Now, it may be true that some posters' complaints might be unfair because they really didn't maintain the tire pressure correctly, or drove in excess of 65mph, or damaged a tire hitting something, I still tend to believe the cheap Chinese tires used by many RV mfgrs. are of inferior quality based on anecdotal evidence.

moc5er
03-22-2017, 10:08 AM
For those who think they these China bomb tires I what you need I say good luck I wish you well.
Lynwood

Your reply makes no sense please correct it.

fauch
03-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Fauch, I understand where you're coming from. But, while the tire you quoted is technically within the load spec'd by Keystone for the larger Montanas, those tires are clearly not up to the task based on anecdotal evidence from a variety of RV websites, and they are mostly Chinese tires.

Now, it may be true that some posters' complaints might be unfair because they really didn't maintain the tire pressure correctly, or drove in excess of 65mph, or damaged a tire hitting something, I still tend to believe the cheap Chinese tires used by many RV mfgrs. are of inferior quality based on anecdotal evidence.

I would never have that tire on my trailer. I personally have never had anything other than LT tires on my trailer. The 'buffer' as some call it, that lies in that range between reasonable traveling speed and 106mph (load/speed rating for my LTs) is where the safety factor is. The information on the sidewall of that tire that worries me, is not 'made in China', it is the load/speed rating.

The tire that I quoted is the tire that Keystone installed on that trailer when new.

I would bet my last cigar that almost all of these trailers have been towed from Indiana to the dealer at 75+ mph. The centrifugal effect of speed on a tire does not necessarily cause immediate failure.

I'll trade my USA made ST tires for your China LT tires all day long.
the tires above:
ST235/80R16E vs
LT235/85R16E

bigred715
03-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Keystone knew about the Chinese tires a long time ago. Good Year Marathon made in China. They could have changed to another brand, upped the price by about $1000 or less and we would have paid the increased price of the 5th wheel anyway. Thousands of dollars saved by the owners and a lot of good will towards Keystone.

fauch
03-27-2017, 04:11 PM
AGAIN
Just changing to another brand would not do it for me. Unless that other brand was NOT a trailer tire. I don't care where it was made.

ST235/80R16E vs
LT235/85R16E

Golfmedik
03-27-2017, 04:38 PM
A new E rated tire is now on the market. It is the new Goodyear Endurance line of tires that are all American made and they have up to an "N" speed rating.

fauch
03-28-2017, 08:10 PM
'N' speed rating on the GY Endurance is 2830 lbs @87 mph. A long way from 3042 lbs at 106mph. Another ST E rated tire. NOT an LT E rated tire.

T225/75R15
117/112N E
Trailer Use Only
None 2,830 lbs.

fauch
03-28-2017, 08:25 PM
Ya bunch of hard-headed 'fous' (look that one up in the French-English dictionary)

The entire tire performance on a trailer is in the Speed to Weight Rating

CHINA, 'E', be dammed! I want a tire that gives me required weight capacity at high speeds. LT tires on a trailer is the only way to go.
I know personal opinions are like .....
But i also have a lot of data, history and info....

PSFORD99
03-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Ya bunch of hard-headed 'couyons' (look that one up in the French-English dictionary)

The entire tire performance on a trailer is in the Speed to Weight Rating

CHINA, 'E', be dammed! I want a tire that gives me required weight capacity at high speeds. LT tires on a trailer is the only way to go.
I know personal opinions are like .....
But i also have a lot of data, history and info....

Totally disagree, there is not an E rated LT tire in a 235/80 0r 85/16 with the NEEDED weight rating for these heavier Montana fifth wheels with 7K axles. 6k axles ,and the older lighter Montana fifth wheels, many are running a LT E rated tire, but NOT on 7K axles .

3042 is usually the weight rating for the E rated LT tires , won't get it done on 7K axles. These fifth wheels need G rate 14ply tires on them, they are coming from the factory now with G rated Sailun S637, and by the way its a ST tire made in China. Arguably the best G rated tire on the market.

Mike117
03-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Who in the heck would go 87 MPH or let alone 106 MPH? If you going that fast your nuts and a danger. Great they are rated for that.

fauch
03-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Totally disagree, there is not an E rated LT tire in a 235/80 0r 85/16 with the NEEDED weight rating for these heavier Montana fifth wheels with 7K axles. 6k axles ,and the older lighter Montana fifth wheels, many are running a LT E rated tire, but NOT on 7K axles .

3042 is usually the weight rating for the E rated LT tires , won't get it done on 7K axles. These fifth wheels need G rate 14ply tires on them, they are coming from the factory now with G rated Sailun S637, and by the way its a ST tire made in China. Arguably the best G rated tire on the market.

The Sailun is an ST tire, speed rating is 75 mph
Maybe the best G rated ST tire on the market but far from the best G rated LT tire
on the market

fauch
03-28-2017, 10:35 PM

The Sailun S637 is an ST tire, speed rating is 4080 lbs at 75 mph.
VERY GOOD the ' made in china ' means less than that rating

fauch
03-28-2017, 10:41 PM
Who in the heck would go 87 MPH or let alone 106 MPH? If you going that fast your nuts and a danger. Great they are rated for that.

NO NO NO
nothing to do with driving at speed rating. the point is that maximum load capacity is not reached until that speed. Load capacity at normal highway speed (65-70?) is greater than load capacity at speed RATING

phillyg
03-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Fauch, it seems what you're arguing is the max load rating isn't reached till the tire is rotating at the max speed rating. I don't think that's correct. The max load rating is achieved by psi, no? If you look at a load rating table, increased load occurs at higher psi, up to max psi. The max speed rating is just that, the highest speed for which the tire is rated. For me, I could care less how fast the tire can go because I think 65mph is a good speed hauling a 16,000lb brick.

PSFORD99
03-29-2017, 09:25 AM
The Sailun is an ST tire, speed rating is 75 mph
Maybe the best G rated ST tire on the market but far from the best G rated LT tire
on the market

And in your opinion which G rated LT tire is the best. Hopefully you are not going to say the Goodyear G614's.

I invite you to do a search on the Goodyear G614, and the same on the Sailun S637, and get back with us on what you find. I have, and know the track record of the G614, and besides being way overpriced , they have a horrible track record as far as blowouts, and tread separation.Granted they have improved, but still hear about them. So far, and not saying there hasn't been issues, I have just never read about a blowout on the Sailun S637.

Sailuns have been on the market for a few years now, time enough now to know how dependable they have become. Its not a wait ,and see how they do anymore. FYI, they were an LT tire up until about a year ago, and changed to ST for import purpose. Same tire with ST on them instead of LT. Trailer use only when they were an LT, trailer use only now as the ST. If not mistaken the G614 is also trailer use only, but an LT tire. What difference would it make if Goodyear decided to put ST on their G614.

PSFORD99
03-29-2017, 09:50 AM
The Sailun S637 is an ST tire, speed rating is 4080 lbs at 75 mph.
VERY GOOD the ' made in china ' means less than that rating

Sailun S637 ST 235/85/16 4400 lbs @ 110 psi

Sailun S637 ST 235/80/16 4080 lbs @ 110 psi

Not sure how you determine they have a less rating then given, but never the less its a given they match or exceed the Goodyear G614.

PSFORD99
03-29-2017, 09:55 AM
Fauch, it seems what you're arguing is the max load rating isn't reached till the tire is rotating at the max speed rating. I don't think that's correct. The max load rating is achieved by psi, no? If you look at a load rating table, increased load occurs at higher psi, up to max psi. The max speed rating is just that, the highest speed for which the tire is rated. For me, I could care less how fast the tire can go because I think 65mph is a good speed hauling a 16,000lb brick.

I think, and agree with you , they reach their max weight rating at max psi.

65 mph is a good speed towing these heavy fifth wheels. I too could care less about speed rating being 75 mph.

fauch
03-30-2017, 03:44 PM
I do not know why this always gets so complicated.
A trailer tire is maxed out at 65 mph
The newer Sailuns and some others are maxed out at 75 or ~80mph
A tire that is load rated at 106 mph has a lot of reserve capacity at 65 mph.
The load limit on a 65 mph tire starts diminishing above that speed.
The load limit on a 106 mph tire is not reached until 106 mph.

Dam Worker
03-30-2017, 11:15 PM
I will give my perspective on the tires. A cheap Trailer tire is just that. A cheap LT tire is not a whole lot better but is rated higher. A good trailer tire like the Sailun, Goodyear etc is a heavy duty higher load and speed rated tire. I think of peace of mind because the load and speed rating. Seems like a lot of retired people will never go over 55 mph so the point might be mute. For those that regularly go over 55 or even 65/70 I think it becomes quite important. I also feel that the closer to the max load you go the better the tire should be. Take a Sailun or Goodyear without being mounted and pick it up and you will feel the difference in weight alone. These tires are for serious work and serious load.

Tom Marty

jlb27537
04-28-2017, 06:17 PM
I do not know why this always gets so complicated.
A trailer tire is maxed out at 65 mph
The newer Sailuns and some others are maxed out at 75 or ~80mph
A tire that is load rated at 106 mph has a lot of reserve capacity at 65 mph.
The load limit on a 65 mph tire starts diminishing above that speed.
The load limit on a 106 mph tire is not reached until 106 mph.

Right on........

My Durvis R250 is speed rated 106mph. 3042lbs @ 106 mph. So @ 65 the load rating is "probably" closer to 3500lbs. They weigh 59lbs, same as a G614.

This tire stuff is not that hard folks.

Beau2010
05-01-2017, 09:29 AM
LT v ST:
I have seen a number of LT tires on two and three axle trailers, both RVs and gooseneck livestock trailers blown out because of tight turning and sliding the tire sideways with a load on the trailer. LT tires are not designed to take such punishment; ST tires are. If you never make a tight turn, you may be OK with the LT. If you ever have to get into a tight spot in a campground or a fueling station, you will slide a tire sideways and likely blow it out if it is a LT. Sure, they are rated higher but for the job they are designed to do, which is not on a multi-axle trailer.

dieselguy
05-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Just to be argumentative ... I've run LT's on my last 3 fivers since 2000 ... no issues. My 2005 2980RL that I ordered came with LT's on it right from the factory. Several others here on the MOC run LT's. We watch our weight numbers and pull on down the road. As with most other topics .... different experiences from different RV'ers.

jlb27537
05-01-2017, 12:49 PM
LT v ST:
I have seen a number of LT tires on two and three axle trailers, both RVs and gooseneck livestock trailers blown out because of tight turning and sliding the tire sideways with a load on the trailer. LT tires are not designed to take such punishment; ST tires are. If you never make a tight turn, you may be OK with the LT. If you ever have to get into a tight spot in a campground or a fueling station, you will slide a tire sideways and likely blow it out if it is a LT. Sure, they are rated higher but for the job they are designed to do, which is not on a multi-axle trailer.

I have to disagree with the above. However, all LT tires are not created equal. A "pick a name here" $100 tire you get at Wmart and put on a heavy trailer, yes you will probably have a issue because the thread is a traction tread and wants to grip the road.

But a LT tire with a hard rubber compound, a non aggressive tread, will give great results on a multi-axle trailer. As a example look at the Bridgestone Duravis R250. A E rated tire, 3042 lb rating @ 106 mph. Weighs 59 lbs and is a all steel tire (same as a G614). Slow down to highway speeds of 65 or so and it's load carrying ability is that of a G ST tire.

My '14 3150RL, bought in March 13, has had R250's on it since I brought it home and their service is flawless.

The Firestone Transforce is another good option in a LT tire.

That said, when my R250's age out, I going to look hard at the Sailun G stuff.

mlh
05-01-2017, 01:17 PM
I have GY Wranglers on my 5er. I have had my truck turned almost 90 degrees from the trailer with no problem.
Lynwood

mhs4771
05-01-2017, 06:46 PM
ST Tires are fairly new in the RV market, for years most trailers ran Truck tires if heavy or if fairly light nothing more than Passenger Car tires. And you never heard much about tire issues until ST Tires hit the market place.

Buckeye83
05-01-2017, 08:00 PM
'N' speed rating on the GY Endurance is 2830 lbs @87 mph. A long way from 3042 lbs at 106mph. Another ST E rated tire. NOT an LT E rated tire.

T225/75R15
117/112N E
Trailer Use Only
None 2,830 lbs.

After speaking with a couple of GY engineers and corporate sales we have decided to try the new GY endurance tires over the GY G614. The 235/80/16 tires are rated at 3420 pounds at 80 psi. This is the direct replacement for our HC and well within our scaled weights. The 235/85/16 tires are rated at 3638 at 80 psi which may be suitable for the Montana. They both carry the N speed rating.

They get mounted tomorrow...

Beau2010
05-02-2017, 08:29 AM
As long as you avoid tight turns and heavy loads, you may get by with the LT tires but I have seen too many gooseneck loads of livestock with one or more blown tires when backing into a tight unloading facility. They virtually all have run truck tires in the mistaken belief they will give better service, and maybe they will, so long as no sliding sideways of the tire occurs.

Dixie Flyer
05-27-2017, 10:54 AM
I have run the Good Year Marathon tires from China enough to know the problem that comes with China made tires. After buying a new Montana in 2011 and sitting in a campground in Virginia with four bad tires I decided to investigate the tires situation on campers.

I came to the conclusion that Good Year G614 tires were the way to go I bought wheels that would accommodate the 110 psi for the G614 and installed the G614 with the new wheels and never looked back.

Two months ago I bought a used 2015 3611 RL and went searching for tires. This time I was not able to afford the G614 and new wheels so I searched for light truck tires but found that Good Year has introduced a new trailer tire made in the USA. Good Year is trying to over come the bad reputation that comes with trailer tires so they made the Endurance. I bought the Endurance and mounted them on the Montana and have logged two thousand miles so far with no problems.

I have found that most, if not all manufactures will put 7,000 pound axles on a camper and then on paper rate them at 6,000 pounds so they can put a lesser grade tire on the camper. In other words the tire on the camper is at its legal limit at dry weight so when you load the camper with your stuff you are marginal on the safety and weight the tire is able to carry. Thus early blow outs, tread separation and the list goes on.

If I had planned to keep our present camper four or more years I would have found a way to put the Good Year G614 tires on it, but at my age I don't know how many good years I have left to travel and be safe. Anyway that is my two cents worth on this subject and I hope it helps someone.

jlb27537
05-27-2017, 11:40 AM
I did a bit of research on a Marathon and a Endurance. A 235/80/16 in a Marathon weighs 39#'s a Endurance weighs 40#'s. Both seem to have the same fabric/steel construction.

To me it looks like Goodyear is building the Marathon in the USA and calling it a Endurance. Going to pass on the Endurance.

CaptnJohn
05-28-2017, 02:10 PM
I did a bit of research on a Marathon and a Endurance. A 235/80/16 in a Marathon weighs 39#'s a Endurance weighs 40#'s. Both seem to have the same fabric/steel construction.

To me it looks like Goodyear is building the Marathon in the USA and calling it a Endurance. Going to pass on the Endurance.

You may be absolutely correct. Marathon were made in the US before being manufactured in China. Either way, they need people willing to pay to test them for 3 - 5 years before I'm confident in them.

Buckeye83
05-28-2017, 03:28 PM
In speaking with the design engineers at GY the sidewall construction is different between the Marathon and Endurance. Weight is a factor to consider but over the last several years advances have been made in many materials (not only tires) that will allow you to reduce weight but maintain or improve strength in the sidewalls. I guess I will be one of their guinea pigs. We are a 1,000 miles in with no issues.

CaptnJohn
05-28-2017, 03:57 PM
In speaking with the design engineers at GY the sidewall construction is different between the Marathon and Endurance. Weight is a factor to consider but over the last several years advances have been made in many materials (not only tires) that will allow you to reduce weight but maintain or improve strength in the sidewalls. I guess I will be one of their guinea pigs. We are a 1,000 miles in with no issues.

I like "testers" more than guinea pigs 👌. I'll run what arrives on my HC next month until fall. I have had great luck with Carlisle and may switch to them in LRF. I understand HC wheels in 2017 are rated to 110 psi so may consider a LRG.

PSFORD99
05-28-2017, 06:57 PM
I have run the Good Year Marathon tires from China enough to know the problem that comes with China made tires. After buying a new Montana in 2011 and sitting in a campground in Virginia with four bad tires I decided to investigate the tires situation on campers.

I came to the conclusion that Good Year G614 tires were the way to go I bought wheels that would accommodate the 110 psi for the G614 and installed the G614 with the new wheels and never looked back.

Two months ago I bought a used 2015 3611 RL and went searching for tires. This time I was not able to afford the G614 and new wheels so I searched for light truck tires but found that Good Year has introduced a new trailer tire made in the USA. Good Year is trying to over come the bad reputation that comes with trailer tires so they made the Endurance. I bought the Endurance and mounted them on the Montana and have logged two thousand miles so far with no problems.

I have found that most, if not all manufactures will put 7,000 pound axles on a camper and then on paper rate them at 6,000 pounds so they can put a lesser grade tire on the camper. In other words the tire on the camper is at its legal limit at dry weight so when you load the camper with your stuff you are marginal on the safety and weight the tire is able to carry. Thus early blow outs, tread separation and the list goes on.

If I had planned to keep our present camper four or more years I would have found a way to put the Good Year G614 tires on it, but at my age I don't know how many good years I have left to travel and be safe. Anyway that is my two cents worth on this subject and I hope it helps someone.

I respectably disagree on all china tires. Sailun S637's are made in china, and I have yet to read a negative comment about them . Goodyear G614's are a good tire, they should be at twice the price of Sailuns.

The 614's have sure had their share of problems,granted they have improved. IMHO Sailuns have already proved to have a much better track record then the G614's have EVER had.

The problem was at one time the Goodyear was just about the only game in town for a G rated tire, that is not the case anymore . To each his own, but I think Goodyear should be a little more competitive , twice the price for a tire that is arguably inferior to some others. Yes if they have a blowout Goodyear will pay for repairs, if it was a faulty tire, but that comes with a price tag, and again IMO you are paying that high price for insurance. I don't need to be double covered on insurance, I have auto insurance to cover damage.

Woodturner
05-28-2017, 07:06 PM
The more I read the confusider I get. We are leaving eastern Oklahoma June 5th on a trip to Jasper Canada plus some side trips along the way there and back. I estimate around 5000 miles total and two months time. We have a 2014 Montana 3582rl with 110 psi rated rims and new g614 tires inflated to 100 psi. I will be trying to hold my speed between 62 and 65 mph. My question is have I got the rig sit up to handle a trip like that? We will be pulling with a 2015, 3500 Ram dully with the factory tow package.

mlh
05-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Woodturner quit worrying, beings confused. You ARE good to go. You will have NO tire problems.
Set back relax, enjoy the trip.
Lynwood

Texan
05-28-2017, 08:27 PM
The Goodyears of today are equal to the Sailuns in quality but not price. You should have no problem with your tires but i would probably keep the tires inflated to 110 psi when traveling in the summer even though it should be cooler the further north you go. I have a 2014 3402rl with sailuns and have had no problems and you shouldn't have any either. Sit back,relax and enjoy the drive.

Dixie Flyer
05-29-2017, 06:33 AM
The more I read the confusider I get. We are leaving eastern Oklahoma June 5th on a trip to Jasper Canada plus some side trips along the way there and back. I estimate around 5000 miles total and two months time. We have a 2014 Montana 3582rl with 110 psi rated rims and new g614 tires inflated to 100 psi. I will be trying to hold my speed between 62 and 65 mph. My question is have I got the rig sit up to handle a trip like that? We will be pulling with a 2015, 3500 Ram dully with the factory tow package.

I ran the Good Year G614 tires for several years on my 2011 Montana without any problems. I did keep them at 110 psi at all times. Must have put over 15,000 miles on them before trading the Montana for a Foretravel MH, big mistake. Anyway I am back with a Montana 3611rl and would have put the G614 tires on it, but the money would not allow me to buy rims and tires, so I went with the Endurance. We are planning another trip to Michigan in July after having completing a trip of 1.300 miles from Greenville, South Carolina to the Gulf Shores of Alabama and then to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina and then back home. So far the Endurance is doing great, but I will hold total judgment after the travels are over this summer.

You will be fine on your trip as long as you don't run over something on the highway that causes a tire failure. Of course in all things there is always that unexpected thing that happens no matter what you do and how careful you are, its called Murphy's Law.

phillyg
05-29-2017, 07:15 AM
If you're running 100psi on a tire max rated 110psi, and your FW weighs out less than 15,000lbs or so, 100psi is probably okay. How about getting the load table from GY and know for sure?

bigred715
05-29-2017, 12:42 PM
All my rigs, car,truck and 5th wheel have Michelins on them. My 5th wheel is one of the smaller trailers out there. 3000RK with a 14,200 GVW. I will not buy a Goodyear tire after they put their name on the lousy Marathon tire that came on my trailer. Will, also not buy any Chinese tire. I avoid turning sharply other than backing into my parking space which is gravel and gives as opposed to turning on asphalt. May change to something different for the trailer due to price when they need changing and years left for traveling.

Dixie Flyer
05-29-2017, 01:15 PM
All my rigs, car,truck and 5th wheel have Michelins on them. My 5th wheel is one of the smaller trailers out there. 3000RK with a 14,200 GVW. I will not buy a Goodyear tire after they put their name on the lousy Marathon tire that came on my trailer. Will, also not buy any Chinese tire. I avoid turning sharply other than backing into my parking space which is gravel and gives as opposed to turning on asphalt. May change to something different for the trailer due to price when they need changing and years left for traveling.

I have a friend that went to the Michelins RIB tire on his Open Range fifth wheel. He has run those for about three years now and loves them.

PSFORD99
05-29-2017, 08:13 PM
I have a friend that went to the Michelins RIB tire on his Open Range fifth wheel. He has run those for about three years now and loves them.

Great tire, but out of the question on these newer Montana's. Okay for 6K axles.

CRUZIN 2
05-29-2017, 09:05 PM
We just arrived home in Nebraska, and before we left TX I put on 4 Sailuns S637 235/80/16. We traveled 1300 miles and we don't run slow, no problems and they look good.

Fireater99
05-30-2017, 07:31 PM
Purchased the Sailuns about 6 weeks ago and love the upgrade.

CORattler
05-31-2017, 06:09 PM
China tires $4000 damage. Not surprised but at least you knew enough to get them off. Some people don't and go right on buying China going to blow tires. I see campers at an exit just off I81 with blown tires. Sometimes you can tell them and sometimes they get mad. Oh well!
Lynwood

If they get mad, just smile and wish them safe travels :D

mlh
05-31-2017, 06:35 PM
If you keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result you gotta be stupid so it's no need to talk to them. You just smile or LOL and forget it. Ain't my camper so I don't care.
Lynwood

Dixie Flyer
06-01-2017, 06:30 AM
I bought a 2005 Wildcat which had Good Year Marathon tires on It. The first tire blew out on a trip to South Georgia when it was a year old. I put new Good Year Marathon tires on it in 2009 before a trip to New Mexico. On that trip I blew all four tires before I could get home. One tire the tread came off in Texas and knocked a hole in the bottom of the camper, snatched a wiring harness out of the wall and I had about twenty feet of wire hanging out of the camper and over four thousand dollars worth of damage.

Good Year made good on the damage and tire replacement. I wrote Forest River a letter explaining the problems I had with the tires on the camper because by now I had gone through three sets of tires in four years. I got a call from Forest river asking me for the serial number on the camper which I gave them. A few days later I got a call from Forest River advising me they were sending me a complete set of axles, news tires and wheels along with a Moreride suspension system at no charge. Asked what dealer to send then to as they were going to pay for the labor as well.

After the upgrade I never had a problem with tires or suspension system as long as I had the Wildcat. The Good Year tires were replaced with another brand of tire and were still on the camper when I sold it. When I bought the 2001 Montana Good Year Marathon tires were on it and after one year all four tires had to be replaced. Needless to say I had a fill of tires made on China that is when I went to the Good Year G614. Those tires stayed on it until I traded for a motorhome in 2015. The motorhome didn't work out for us so I sold it and bought the used 2015 Montana and the first thing that went was the China made tires.

I really can't say for certain that all China made tires are bad, neither can I say that all USA made tires are flawless. However I can say this. In my experience the made in the USA tires I have bought have had a better track record. Therefore as far as I am concerned I had rather run a tire on my camper that I have confidence in than to run a tire that has a big question mark hanging over it.

waynemoore
06-01-2017, 09:22 AM
I must be a quick learner. Bought my new rig on Thursday it had Trail Kings on it. We stayed at the dealership doing the PDI. That Saturday I took the rig to the local Discount Tire store and had 4 new Bridgestone tires installed. It's just me but I would NEVER run China bombs for a year knowing how bad they are. Just don't need the stress plus if I can afford to buy the rig I dam well better be able to afford better tires. To me the two most important items on the ridge are tires and brakes. Best to not skimp on either.

CaptnJohn
06-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Never a problem with Carlisle tires. A US company run by Americans in China. No subletting in or out.

beeje
06-01-2017, 06:48 PM
You could not pay me to run any Carlisle tire on a camper. I Bought a new 2007 raptor toy hauler that came with 6 of them, and within 3000 miles all six had deep cracks 3" long in the groves of the tread that Carlisle and my dealer would do absolutely nothing for me. You are nuts to put Carlisle tires on anything but a wheel barrow. Just put on 5 new Sailun s637,s on my heavy 3455sa Montana. These replaced the nearly 7 year old g614,s that were taken off.

PSFORD99
06-01-2017, 07:46 PM
I must be a quick learner. Bought my new rig on Thursday it had Trail Kings on it. We stayed at the dealership doing the PDI. That Saturday I took the rig to the local Discount Tire store and had 4 new Bridgestone tires installed. It's just me but I would NEVER run China bombs for a year knowing how bad they are. Just don't need the stress plus if I can afford to buy the rig I dam well better be able to afford better tires. To me the two most important items on the ridge are tires and brakes. Best to not skimp on either.

If you are referring to a new Montana Fifth Wheel , you can't possibly be meeting your axle rating with that Bridgestone if its an LT tire. The weight rating would be what for a 235/80/16 ,3042 lb rating ????

Pocketlake1
06-02-2017, 10:20 AM
I have a HC 318RE with dry weight about 10k and I drive about 65. Considering changing to Michelin Defender LT 235/85 16 E rated. Should I be concerned about going to the LTs due to their reduced load rating compared to the Goodyear Endurance STs that I have now?

phillyg
06-02-2017, 12:57 PM
I have a HC 318RE with dry weight about 10k...... changing to Michelin Defender LT 235/85 16 E rated. Should I be concerned about going to the LTs due to their reduced load........?

I didn't look it up, but assuming the M tires are rated no less than 3k per tire, that means they can carry 12k lbs or more on the axles and there's still more on the hitch. I think you'd be hard pressed to overload the tires. OTOH, why not go with Sailuns, a better tire at less cost.

Retire 2022
08-10-2017, 06:50 PM
[?] We have a 2017 Montana 3811ms Legacy Edition. The tires have about 1200 miles on them as of today.

Tires are Sailun ST235/80R16 tubeless Radial; LRG 14PR.

Those of you that have these same tires; would you rate them as...GOOD Tires or BAD Tires???

Thank you for your replies.

Retire 2022
08-10-2017, 06:51 PM
[?] We have a 2017 Montana 3811ms Legacy Edition. The tires have about 1200 miles on them as of today.

Those of you that have these same tires; would you rate them as...GOOD Tires or BAD Tires???

Thank you for your replies. :thumbsup:

Lenny K
08-10-2017, 08:34 PM
You have the Sailun's that everyone is talking about. You're good to go camping.

PSFORD99
08-10-2017, 08:38 PM

Thank you for your replies. :thumbsup:

IMO you can't get a better G rated trailer tire then the Sailun S637, and that also includes the Goodyear G614. They never achieved the durability ,and reviews that the Sailun has, also the Goodyear is at least double the price of the Sailun.

Stick with the Sailun, you won't be disappointed.

Carl n Susan
08-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Good choice!! I have been watch the G637 for four years on many different RV forums. There have been no posted complaints in that time. You know if someone has a problem it is posted everywhere. Not the same for good experiences.

I just replaced my G614's with the G637's. 2500 miles later, they are fine.

CaptnJohn
08-10-2017, 10:22 PM

I did a lot of research on both GY G614 and Sailun S637. I only found 2 problems with the GY and ZERO on the Sailun. I put the S637 on my Montana HC. The 235/80/R16 have a higher load rating than the G614 at 4080. I put the 235/85/R16 on as I found fresh ones $10 cheaper. They are .9" taller and have a 4400# rating.

Mr Pachu
08-10-2017, 10:32 PM

I have the exact same tires on my 2015 Montana 3790RD with 7500 t0 8000 miles on them. They are wearing nice and even and are holding the air pressure nicely with no loss of air. I wish that my Montana was built to Sailun standards. Maybe then I wouldn't have so many problems with the trailer.