PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal Tire wear

MrMeeks
02-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Bought used 2008 2955RLand noticed extra wear on outside right rear tire. Wear on outside edge of tire. Not a balancing issue. I understand there''s no alignment to be done. Is this due to more weight (ref, microwave, sinks) on that side, or just the nature of the beast. Do I live with it or try to fix it? Thx for your help....I'm new to trailering.

BB_TX
02-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Actually axle alignment can be done by a properly equipped trailer shop. The axles should be aligned to each other and to the frame.

A bent axle can also cause odd tire wear.

Others should be along to provide more detailed info. My trailer is similar and the tires have 20,000 + miles with no noticeable wear difference on any.

BB_TX
02-16-2017, 08:33 PM
You might also take a look at your spring hangers. Possible you could have a broken hanger on that side.

TLightning
02-17-2017, 04:36 PM
If it is an ST tire, that could be the culprit.

Charli
02-20-2017, 09:06 PM
I had wear on the outside of one of my tires and had a wheel alignment done at a shop specializing is alignments in Mesa, az. All of the tires were out but the tire showing execcive wear was out the most.
I asked what would cause all the wheels to be out and they said it happens frequently due to the pounding on the rough roads, hitting curbs, etc.
At least now when I switch out my tires this summer I know they will be properly aligned, at least for a while.

RonD
02-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Bought used 2008 2955RLand noticed extra wear on outside right rear tire. Wear on outside edge of tire. Not a balancing issue. I understand there''s no alignment to be done. Is this due to more weight (ref, microwave, sinks) on that side, or just the nature of the beast. Do I live with it or try to fix it? Thx for your help....I'm new to trailering.

Your in southern CA, I am sure there is an alignment shop down there, but from experience if you have a trip taking you north, Hewitt Alignment in Stockton, CA can fix your problem, ours was the same as your talking about, I was in and out in a couple hours the tire wear issue was completely gone, towed that 5th wheel for 4 more years and 40000 miles, this shop is really good

OrangeCrate
03-11-2017, 04:54 AM
Charli, what shop did you use? Are you happy with service you had done there?

scattershot
03-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Your axles need to be aligned, regardless of what folks tell you. It can be done, but you need to go to a frame and axle shop. My 2006 2955 RL had the same problem. I found out that the factory doesn't align the axles.

Charli
03-11-2017, 11:12 AM
I used Straight Line Suspension, 1725 E Main St, Mesa. Cost $390.
They were recommended by an RV repair shop in Mesa whose name I can't remember.
Access was easy in and out. Parked my 5er on their large lot and came back in a few hours and they had taken the trailer in, completed the work, and parked it for easy hookup and drive out.
They provided me with all the numbers, camber, toeing, etc. for each wheel. Can't really tell any difference pulling but time will tell on tire wear. They were very busy with lots of other trailers getting work done. They were knowledgable and professional.
Not sure about the post above regarding axle alignment. Would seem to me the axles are fixed points and the wheel alignment fine tunes for problems. I do have an adjustment feature called "Correct Trac" which could be used for more significant adjustment. Im just a layman so I my opinion may be all "wet".