PDA

View Full Version : full timer with prescription drugs

rustynail
10-30-2016, 12:32 AM
Hi I am new here and don't know if this is appropriate topic. I have to take opiate meds daily. My doc is in WI, and we are currently in GA. Having hard time getting refills because laws won't allow these meds sent across state lines. How do others handle this. We love full time RV, but this is a big issue for us. Thanks

lfw
10-30-2016, 03:28 AM
We have our Dr's send the prescription to Walmart..we just get them refilled when we are close to a Walmart...no problems .we are at the house about 2 months out of the year..we have been doing it this way for 9 years now.

Bill and Jan
10-30-2016, 03:30 AM
We use Walmart and just have them transfer the prescription every time we're in a different area. I don't know if that will work for opiate.

Bill and Jan
10-30-2016, 03:31 AM
Be aware that once in New York they filled my prescription but wiped out any refills we had.

JABURKHOLDER
10-30-2016, 03:51 AM
Your doctor should be able to fax your script to any drug store you like where ever you are.

jameswbarton
10-30-2016, 04:22 AM
Walmart and Target have been good.

mhs4771
10-30-2016, 05:51 AM
I do mine thru a Mail Order Pharmacy and have them shipped to my Mail Forwarding Service in Florida, and they will in turn ship them where ever I want, but as stated may not work for yours.
Mine is also one that can only be transferred once and wipes out any remaining refills.

Razrbk
10-30-2016, 06:36 AM
We use Walmart, also.

1retired06
10-30-2016, 09:58 AM
Exspess scripts, great folks.

cpaulsen
10-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Walmart......Walgreens.......RiteAid........they all do it...........just need an address to which one you are close to.

PackerFan
10-30-2016, 03:15 PM
We use Walgreens for our prescriptions. They are almost everywhere.

8.1al
10-30-2016, 06:07 PM
If you are taking a controlled substance such as Hydrocodone the doctor can only prescribe one month at a time and it cannot be faxed. The last time I checked with my pharmacist the doctor can write 3 one month scripts at a time, specifying on each when it can be filled. If you are travelling fill one and keep the others for the filling at the next place. I was running into this problem and was able to switch to Tramadol which can be faxed and can get 90 days at a time.

rustynail
10-31-2016, 10:14 AM
We have all our standard meds thru Walgreens and it works fine......... except the opiates. Because I need new script every month(by law) the doc has to send a new one ea month. By law he cannot send out of state, therein lies the problem. Any thoughts? Thanks

ChuckV1
12-14-2017, 03:23 PM
I believe we are talking "POT" here an in some states it's still illegal even with a prescription but not all ... So sending such thought the mail is against Federal law I believe an no Walmart or Walgreen's will carry such an it only will be available in a certain type of shop which will not be available in every state :)

Unless the OP can get a 90 day prescription for such he is more or less stuck to staying in the state were he can obtain such, but as stated the doctor has limited him to a 30 day supply so he is sort of SOL in many ways till the government makes it not illegal across the board to obtain such ...

Good luck Safe travels

1retired06
12-14-2017, 08:24 PM
Express scripts sends direct to our mail forwarding service to our location.

richfaa
12-15-2017, 09:16 AM
If you are using what is considered a "controlled substance" it is going to be hard. You will have to work it out with your Doctor. The key word here is "controlled substance"

AZ Traveler
12-15-2017, 10:42 AM
Many of the responses here are not right for opiods or other controlled substances. They normally require a hard copy prescription and are only valid in the state written. When my daughter encountered this she had to find a different doctor in CA because the pharmacy would not fill a prescription written by an AZ doctor.

mazboy
12-20-2017, 08:06 AM
you have another option of just having the meds sent to your normal home address and having someone send the drugs to you.
another would be to get a doc in your location to write the order.

good luck

Mel B.
12-30-2017, 07:37 AM
I believe we are talking "POT" here an in some states it's still illegal even with a prescription but not all ... So sending such thought the mail is against Federal law I believe an no Walmart or Walgreen's will carry such an it only will be available in a certain type of shop which will not be available in every state :)

Unless the OP can get a 90 day prescription for such he is more or less stuck to staying in the state were he can obtain such, but as stated the doctor has limited him to a 30 day supply so he is sort of SOL in many ways till the government makes it not illegal across the board to obtain such ...

Good luck Safe travels

I hope your kidding?? The OP clearly stated "Opiates" Where you you came off off with POT, is beyond me?

clutch
05-31-2018, 05:39 PM
We stay long term in Az and Walmart-Humana mail order works well for us. However we don't have any Opiates.

rohrmann
05-31-2018, 10:18 PM
you have another option of just having the meds sent to your normal home address and having someone send the drugs to you.
another would be to get a doc in your location to write the order.

good luck

I guess you didn't understand the question. Opiates, which are hydrocodone and oxycodone type drugs, along with others. By law, you must get a paper prescription directly from your doctor and get it filled within the state it was prescribed. Your doctor can not send it to you in another state. At this time, there is no other option, other than getting another doctor in another state where you may be when you need a refill. The best option is to try to change over to a non-opiate medication, because this issue is only going to get more difficult rather than easier. Non-controlled medications can be mail ordered and sent to wherever you may be located, or picked up at whatever national pharmacy you do business with.

AZ Traveler
05-31-2018, 10:33 PM
Seems many of us tend to start typing before we really read and understand the request or question.

Mel B.
10-16-2018, 10:01 AM
I guess you didn't understand the question. Opiates, which are hydrocodone and oxycodone type drugs, along with others. By law, you must get a paper prescription directly from your doctor and get it filled within the state it was prescribed. Your doctor can not send it to you in another state. At this time, there is no other option, other than getting another doctor in another state where you may be when you need a refill. The best option is to try to change over to a non-opiate medication, because this issue is only going to get more difficult rather than easier. Non-controlled medications can be mail ordered and sent to wherever you may be located, or picked up at whatever national pharmacy you do business with.

Yep, if you need Opiates you need to see your doctor every month and get a paper prescription and hand it to your pharmacist. No getting around it, and it's going to get even harder. Oh and try and see other doctors in other states and your going to get labeled as "DOCTOR SHOPPING" it's unfortunate, but full timing and using Opiates to control your pain is going to be difficult at best. I relize this is a old post, but it's a common problem.