PDA

View Full Version : Sailun as OEM tires

DQDick
09-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Took the factory tour at the ralley and we noticed that all the new Montana's are coming with Sailun tires standard. 614's are still an option, but all the rigs on the floor had Sailuns.

mlh
09-29-2016, 03:00 PM
Bout time!
Lynwood

Dam Worker
09-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Glad to see that they are putting good tires on the new rigs. I first saw the Sailuns on SOB that came that way from the factory while we were visiting a RV show at Phoenix Stadium last year.

Tom Marty

bigskyjimmy
09-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Now that is good news but why would you "upgrade to the g614's when the Sailun's (if the are the G rated Sailun's) are just as good??? I guess maybe some of the old timers still do not trust them OR they want to pay for a American made only tire I am guessing[?]

DQDick
09-30-2016, 03:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Now that is good news but why would you "upgrade to the g614's when the Sailun's (if the are the G rated Sailun's) are just as good??? I guess maybe some of the old timers still do not trust them OR they want to pay for a American made only tire I am guessing[?]

I sort of prefer that they never understood why we insisted on 614,s instead of Marathons and still don't:(

1retired06
09-30-2016, 04:52 AM
Wow, what an improvement.

bncinwv
09-30-2016, 04:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Perhaps it is due to the fact that Goodyear has historically paid for damage to the rig in the event of tire failure and to date I have read no reports of the manufacturer of Sailuns's doing the same. I am due for replacement in a couple of years, and have no doubts as to who the manufacturer of the replacement tires will be.
Bingo

pkbridges77
10-01-2016, 02:41 AM
Great news! I have been impressed with Goodyear's willingness to compensate for damage from blowouts, but I haven't seen any real documented Sailun failures. I think by now that Sailun has a pretty well established reputation.

DQDick
10-01-2016, 03:21 AM
We'll really find out as more members get them on new rigs.

Dam Worker
10-01-2016, 07:46 AM
As for no reports as to Sailun paying for damage caused by blowouts compared to Goodyear when I was doing research was I could not find any reported blowouts with trailers. I did find one reported blowout on a dually back when the tires were rated for SRW only. They were not rated for dually applications. I have the Sailuns and feel that they make a great product. Time will give us a clearer picture.

I really want tires that don't blowout. I do realize road hazards can still cause blowouts no matter how good the tires are.

Tom Marty

Dam Worker
10-01-2016, 08:19 AM
As for no reports as to Sailun paying for damage caused by blowouts compared to Goodyear when I was doing research was I could not find any reported blowouts with trailers. I did find one reported blowout on a dually back when the tires were rated for SRW only. They were not rated for dually applications. I have the Sailuns and feel that they make a great product. Time will give us a clearer picture.

Tom Marty

Lenny K
10-01-2016, 12:16 PM
So are they ST or LT? Very confusing when reading the literature. Some info stays they can be used on trucks also.

Dam Worker
10-01-2016, 02:23 PM
My tires state "For Trailer Use Only ". They do have a rating of 4080 Single wheel and somewhere around 3600/3700 in Dual Wheel configuration. Sorry I can't tell you any more about them Lenny except they weighed as much or more than my Trail King tires and rims combined. 7K axles with 8160 lb tire capacity gives me a better feeling than the cheap one they replaced. Also are rated fo 75 mph if I remember correctly like the Goodyear.

I assume these were made to compete against the Goodyear tires for heavier trailers.

Tom Marty

rames14
10-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Tredit (Montana's vendor for tires), stated they are rated trailer only. The reason, is China must compete fairly in LT tires, but can dump trailer tires. Hence, Sailun's are a classified trailer tires so they can sell at cheaper than their cost to produce. That is per Tredit. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Lenny K
10-02-2016, 10:33 AM
I was planning on using the Sailun on the trailer. I was looking at the ST235/85R/16 which are an inch taller than the ST235/80R/16 as I could use some extra height. Has anyone used the ST235/85R/16 on their trailer? Any clearance issues?

PSFORD99
10-06-2016, 11:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

Tom Marty

IMO the Sailuns haven already given us a clear picture, how many years now with Sailuns ? Enough where they should be aging out, and needing replaced, and still no reports of issues.

Periodically we still read about the G614's having a blowout, granted less then a few years ago, but still happening.

I am running on six year old G614's . They will be replaced next spring with the Sailuns.

I'll replace a G614 any day with a tire I don't have to pay for a warranty on that may create damage ,and lost time.

PSFORD99
10-06-2016, 11:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Lenny K

I was planning on using the Sailun on the trailer. I was looking at the ST235/85R/16 which are an inch taller than the ST235/80R/16 as I could use some extra height. Has anyone used the ST235/85R/16 on their trailer? Any clearance issues?

I'm running the G614's ST235/85/16, with no clearance issues on my 2008 3400 RL. I would think they would be the same height as the Sailuns. At one point the Sailun 85's were the only option ,but now they offer both the 80 ,and 85.

jfaberna
10-06-2016, 02:31 PM
On the factory tour I looked closely at the Sailun tires and they were load range "G" with steel belts in the sidewall just like the Goodyears. By the time my G614s are worn out, there should be a lot of data on the Sailun tires since they are now standard on all Montana's.

Dam Worker
10-06-2016, 03:35 PM
Two different places that I found the Sailuns for sale. One place the tire size was one inch bigger and just a hair cheaper. The other place had exactly the same size as what came on the rig. I had better customer service with the second dealer and ended up with the exact same size. In my opinion if you need a little bit bigger tire go with the next size up. Every one that had already put the bigger size tires on their rig let me know that they have had no problems.

Tom Marty

uhftx
10-08-2016, 10:25 AM
I'm stuck with 80 psi tires no matter what. My rims are only rated for that. Even if I upgraded to the Goodyear. I can still only inflate to 80 psi Why go for an exagerated 200 psi tire if the support system can not handle it.
Goodyear has had a lot of years and nascar support. Do they necessarily make a better tire? I seen one post about them honoring their warranty.
Is that a good reputation. I have run mixed branded tires on my trailer over the years.
I replace them when I think they need to be replaced.
I have had blowouts these tires are LT replacements that came with the montana.
The Saluns are newer Last 10 years or so when I first discovered them.
I have not heard anything bad or good. So with that information.

It makes sense to write a complaint when you are angry. Most people that are happy with their purchase are 99% less likely to chime in on the good.

For what it is worth. Tires on your truck will outlast the camper tires even if they are both LT branded. Why? Mostly due to scuffing. sidewall separation in tight turns and overloading. Look at the construction, excavator backhoe, hauler trailers. They never seem to have as many tire problems like we do.
Can you imagine an over the road trucker having problems with one brand of tire?
I could pretty much guarantee within one year the sales wound plumet due to bad word of mouth.

We have no input that is worth listening to, in comparison to the trucking industry.
Look at how many are running single wides vs dually;s on the axles.
It saves fuel and is more efficient negating the effects of a blow out.

Shields are up and I'm ready for flack

milsutter
11-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Am taking delivery of a 2017 3970RD on Thursday and it has the Sailun G rated tires on it.

milsutter
11-06-2016, 11:24 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Lenny K

So are they ST or LT? Very confusing when reading the literature. Some info stays they can be used on trucks also.
[/quote

They are ST, G rated, made in China tires

jcurtis934
11-07-2016, 02:54 AM
Does it maater? They are heavy, well made, and no reports of issues probaby due to being made by the one good tire company in china. If sold below value in u.s. then issue is unfair business practice against goodyear 614. John

PSFORD99
11-07-2016, 05:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

Does it maater? They are heavy, well made, and no reports of issues probaby due to being made by the one good tire company in china. If sold below value in u.s. then issue is unfair business practice against goodyear 614. John

Or could it be unfair business practice by Goodyear. The price for a Goodyear G614 is outrageous. IMO all you are doing paying that price for G614's is paying for insurance to repair damage to the RV. This has been well documented with G614's.

The Sailun S637 has an excellent track record, have yet to read an issue with them, unlike the G614 .

kenneth e holman
11-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Many of these Goodyears are not having blowouts but are running over debre and then gradually leaking air out of there tires which cause the tires to run hot then fall apart.This can happen to any other tire including the sailuns. The goodyears had a problem in the past but seem to be a much better tire today but the sailuns are still a much better buy for the money. I have sailuns on my rv with about 13,000 miles on them and they have held up real well.

caroldee2735
11-16-2016, 12:42 PM
I finally found Sailuns and ordered four 235/85 s . They aren't on yet. Now I wonder what happens if I have a flat tire and try to put on the spare that came with camper which I assume is a 235/80 as that is what the four tires are. Should I replace with Sailuns 235/80. Instead ? Replacing these tires is one of the most confusing things I have ever been through !!!

DQDick
11-16-2016, 02:57 PM
Whenever I change tires I change the spare also even if it never met the road. Its still an old tire and if it's OEM before they went to Sailuns it's not a good tire either.

Dam Worker
11-16-2016, 04:43 PM
I ordered the exact same size as the OEM tires on mine. As stated I probably should have bought an extra for the spare. Use your spare tire even though the size is about an inch smaller there is no differential/gears to hurt anything. It will probably put a bit more of the load on the bigger tire but you should be ale to get to a repair center without to many worries.

Tom Marty

Bugbitten
12-03-2016, 05:03 AM
Where are you finding the Sailun? No dealers have heard of them around here.

hybridhauler
12-03-2016, 07:13 AM
I second what Dick said. When I installed the new set of tires on our 3750, I bought one for a spare as well. I also found a matching rim so they are all the same

captain1
12-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Who sells Sailun tires in Houston tX?

Mike117
12-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Dam Worker, I see your in Richland. I am in Ferndale-Bellingham. Where do you find these tires and who installs?

kenneth e holman
12-03-2016, 05:05 PM
There is not anyone that sells sailun's in Houston that i know of. I bought mine from simple tire.com. You can order from them and have Discount- NTB or who ever mount them for you. I bought 235x85x16 tires for mine and have about 13,000 miles on them with no problems.There is a discount tire dealer on the Sam Houston toll road just east of hiway 59 north that has a large enough parking lot to pull your 5th wheel into.Take the 1st exit when you get on the toll road and u-turn at the light and he will be on your right. You can pull down to the last bay and they can install the tires you bring and drive out the back of the parking lot with no problem. I believe they charge 16.00 per tire to mount and balance.

captain1
12-04-2016, 04:52 AM
Thanks for your input. What size is your Montana? Mine is model 2980 2008 model which we bought new in 2009. I will have to check my rims to see if they would fit the larger 235x85x16. Otherwise the smaller 235x80x16 should work. We've seen a lot of the U.S. in the past seven years.

Dam Worker
12-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Mike117 I bought mine from a place in Michigan if I remember correctly. When researching where to buy them in the Pacific Northwest I did find three or four places around the Seattle area that supposedly sold them. I really did not want to pull the unit over there for tires so I naught mine online jacked the unit up on manual mode and removed all the tires and rims. Loaded new tires and old rims with Trail King tires in the back of my truck and had Costco mount and balance the new tires and reinstalled on the unit. Simple tire sells them although the tire size is just a bit bigger (taller) and I decided to go with exact same size so I bought mine from Michigan. I can't remember their name but they had good customer service and the correct size so I decided to buy from them. I will try to come up with their name as they sent me a t-shirt and new steel valve stems for free with my purchase of the tires. If yo do a search on Sailun you will find long thread that I started and it has the company's name.

Tom Marty

Carl n Susan
12-04-2016, 12:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by captain1

...Mine is model 2980 2008 model which we bought new in 2009. I will have to check my rims to see if they would fit the larger 235x85x16. Otherwise the smaller 235x80x16 should work...

A couple of things you should consider/check:
1. I am pretty sure your 2980 (one of the lighter Montanas) has 6K axles, and not 7K like the newer rigs. I believe the tire sticker on the driver's side near the propane compartment will show which axle you have. Otherwise, crawl under the rig and check the stamp on the axle itself.

2. Montana didn't offer 110 PSI capable wheels in 2009. All of them were 80 PSI. The Sailuns will work at 80 PSI but be careful not to overfill them.

3. The 235x85x16 tire v. the 235x80x16 is really not an issue. The difference in aspect ratio has a minor effect on the height of the tire. Either one will fit on your rig.

4. You have 6" wide rims on your 2980 just like every other Montana. Montana has used the same rim width forever and fitted them with E rated LT, E rated ST (Chinese junk), G rated Goodyear G614, and now Sailun G617 tires. So either Sailun or any other standard tire will fit.

You really don't need G rated tires for a 2980 with 6K axles. Pick one of the better rated LT E rated tires (Duravis 250 comes to mind) which are far superior to the LT type E rated tire you have. Many members here have used LT tires for years, even with 7K axles (and some have weighed their rig to ensure their weight isn't too much).

kenneth e holman
12-04-2016, 05:33 PM
My model is an 2013 model 3402rl.I have 235x85x16 tires. If you have the 80 psi rims instead of the 110 psi rims then as per previous post you can still use the sailuns but only at 80 psi and still have a much better rating than the load range E tires. If you have the 6,000 pound axles then you might want to buy the michelin xps ribs. These are the best 10 ply tire on the market and weigh 62 pounds each as the 14 ply sailuns do. I've had both and weighed both and they are the same. The michelins are all steel including the sidewall - same as the sailuns.The weight capacity of the michelins is the same as any other load range E tire but twice as heavy. I don't know why they aren't rated a higher capacity than other tires but they are twice the weight of other load range E tires and you will be very impressed with them. If you are within the weight limit for load range E tires then Michelin is the way to go. You can get them at Discount Tire. Good-Luck.

John Neeley
12-09-2016, 04:58 AM
My 2016 3440RL which I just got in August, and is shown to have been built in Jan '16 uses the Trail King tire still. Was pricing the G614's and wow.... $1500 for a set..... not right now that's for sure as Santa needs a new pair of shoes... Havent looked up the Sailun's yet but will do that, but again, this rig has about 2000 miles on it sofar and showing no wear, but in my previous 5th wheel, which didnt weigh as much, I had terrible tire issues, namely due to alignment of the axles.
:(

DQDick
12-09-2016, 05:05 AM
Wear usually isnt' the biggest problem with cheap tires on our size rigs. Speed damage (could have happened when the delivery driver got to the dealer in a hurry), holes and curbs (again can happen before the rig even gets to the dealer) and just poor quality control at the factory as well as other issues make them a crap shoot as to whether they last. If you can't afford better tires be sure to get a good tire monitor system and check the tires for bulges in the sidwalls and tred seperation on a regular basis and drive at or less than the speed rating on the side of the tires.

mhs4771
12-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Ditto Dick's response.

mlh
12-09-2016, 11:04 AM
If you are still using the OEM tires you should get a TPM. You can't tell when you will have a blowout. The only thing that is near certain is you will have one.
Lynwood

kenneth e holman
12-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Never take the unit off the lot with the oem tires.I brought my sailuns to the dealership and had them changed out. You can take the factory tires and then sell them to someone local for there lowboy trailer which want have near the catastrophic results when they blow-out. Most lowboys don't carry the weight as these tires do on our rv's.

Mike117
12-10-2016, 11:29 AM

Mike117 I bought mine from a place in Michigan if I remember correctly. When researching where to buy them in the Pacific Northwest I did find three or four places around the Seattle area that supposedly sold them. I really did not want to pull the unit over there for tires so I naught mine online jacked the unit up on manual mode and removed all the tires and rims. Loaded new tires and old rims with Trail King tires in the back of my truck and had Costco mount and balance the new tires and reinstalled on the unit. Simple tire sells them although the tire size is just a bit bigger (taller) and I decided to go with exact same size so I bought mine from Michigan. I can't remember their name but they had good customer service and the correct size so I decided to buy from them. I will try to come up with their name as they sent me a t-shirt and new steel valve stems for free with my purchase of the tires. If yo do a search on Sailun you will find long thread that I started and it has the company's name.

Tom Marty

Mike117
12-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Thanks Damworker

shovelhead86
12-11-2016, 05:49 AM
I did have a ply separation on a
Sailun tire. i caught it in time as it was wearing uneven. i never even thought of warranty i just bought another.

Twopetes
01-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Interesting - and I will be looking at the tires on new units at the RV shows that start this weekend in Milwaukee!

Dusters
01-05-2017, 02:41 PM
I am considering to order 5 Sailun ST235/80/R16 S637T G rated tires for my 2016 Montana in the next 60 days. I received a quote from our West Coast business called "LES SCHWAB Tires" for a $185 each. They told me they have plenty of the Sailun brand in their Distribution Center. They will also rebate a small portion back on the OEM tires of less than 5K miles, which should offset labor and taxes. I still have some concerns about the OEM rims and the PSI. The tech said they will run just fine at 80PSI but can go up to 110PSI. I'm assuming it's my choice for a 14K weighted trailer if I maintain the current 80PSI recommendations. I still don't know if the 235/85 series is necessary for anything other than a 1 inch height change. I also have to consider a TPMS, but don't see it to be as necessary with the Sailuns now, as an added expense.
This was directed back to Mike117 also.

quote:Originally posted by Mike117

Mike117 I bought mine from a place in Michigan if I remember correctly. When researching where to buy them in the Pacific Northwest I did find three or four places around the Seattle area that supposedly sold them. I really did not want to pull the unit over there for tires so I naught mine online jacked the unit up on manual mode and removed all the tires and rims.............
Tom Marty

richfaa
01-07-2017, 04:20 AM
Don't know yet we will be due for new tires in a couple of years .The OEM G614s with the IS suspension are wearing even and have plenty of thread left after about 25K miles and show no signs of ageing yet.

WeBeFulltime
01-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Sailuns must be readily available here in Chattanooga, TN. I just checked with 2 independent dealers and both are familiar with them and can have them next day. Quoted $886.89 for five (5) 235/85R-16 mounted, balanced, all taxes, and new metal stems "out the door". Will be having them mounted this Spring.