PDA

View Full Version : Another china bomb

ctwebb
09-12-2016, 03:18 AM
Hi all, Has anyone gone after the tire makers for the damage to your unit after a tire blow out. We have the Power King Tow Max tires that are three years old and have about 5000 miles on them. One blew out yesterday and caused a good amount of damage to my unit. Tire pressures were correct. No signs or warnings when we hears the loud explosion I assume this is where the term China bomb comes from
Thanks for your input

mhs4771
09-12-2016, 03:26 AM
On only Tire MFR that I've heard of paying for damage is Goodyear.

mlh
09-12-2016, 03:59 AM
I don't know why the OEMs would put put 65 mph tires on a camper and send them out on a 75 MPG highway.
We have seen over and over this same story. If you have ST China bomb tires on your camper you are are begging for trouble. Run them at your own risk.
Lynwood

TLightning
09-12-2016, 04:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by mlh

...I don't know why the OEMs would put put 65 mph tires on a camper and send them out on a 75 MPG highway...
Lynwood

What does the speed limit have to do with tires, some western states have no speed limit? I don't personally know anybody that pulls one of these things at 75. It's a well known fact that STs are restricted to 65, which, IMHO, is way fast enough to be going with one of these beasts in tow.

jcurtis934
09-12-2016, 05:30 AM
Tom, you travel different roads than I as I am always passed by rv's doing 70 plus. And I see them down the road on the shoulder sometimes. My advice to those still running the low quality tires...stay off the freeways...you are littering america. John

waynemoore
09-12-2016, 05:37 AM
I live in Arizona and travel the western states year round. I don't know any state where the is no speed limit, some yes are high 80 and 85. And I for one pull my Montana for the most part at 63 to 65. That said there are times I can hit 70 or a bit over to pass or going down a hill. I am no tire expert but I feel there is no reason to deliver a rig like mine that can weigh 16,500 lbs with what most would consider light weight tires. It is irresponsible at the least and down right dangerous at the worst.

1retired06
09-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Amazing how many new buyers trust the manufacturer to equip with decent tires

mlh
09-12-2016, 09:44 AM
I feel very comfortable and safe pulling my camper at the speed limit, 65 75 what ever. That is what speed limits are for. Each one of us should not pull their camper faster than they feel safe and comfortable.
Lynwood

DQDick
09-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Getting back to the original question, folks have found Goodyear to be accomodating with the Marathons, other members have said they were going to try to get compensation from other companies and then we haven't heard anymore. I take that as not a good sign.

TLightning
09-12-2016, 01:44 PM
I stand corrected...all the states now have speed limits. I do find it interesting some of the good folks on here are towing at speeds that might be "legal" but with trucks that clearly exceed their GVWR and/or GCWR.

PPeppel
09-13-2016, 01:08 AM
As I am new to the 5th wheel trailer life and bought mine last month I have seen so many posts about tires it's crazy. I currently have a set of Trailer Kings on mine from the dealer. I have looked at 3 shops for replacement tires and the most recommended tire is still made in china?????
As a new owner with less than 100 miles on the current set I find it hard to eat another $1000 bucks to replace brand new tires, especially when I read some posts where the recommended tire on her Samson/GY Marathon and so on are also made in china. Is there a mileage or time frame people are having issues?

racquetballfreq
09-13-2016, 02:14 AM
Goodyear reimbursed me for my deductible, ($500), and the cost of the (2) Marathon Bombs, ($420), without any questions other than having the blow outs sent to them on their dime. Replaced all 5 tires with Sailuns S637 after reading all the reviews.

Im guessing they would have paid for the damage, ($4,000), but I had already filed a claim with my insurance company.

I would go ahead and start the process and see how far you get.

mlh
09-13-2016, 05:20 AM
PPeppel you have seen a lot of post on tires because tires are the number one problem and topic in the warm months I've been a member since 2004 and this has been the no. 1 topic for a number of years. People think if they run at some magic speed and keep them inflated to some magic number they will be OK only to have a blowout some time later. I don't recall a single blowout with any tire other than a cheap ST tire. When will it happen? Maybe today maybe never. Do you wont to take that chance knowing very well there is a very good chance it will happen.
Lynwood

richfaa
09-13-2016, 07:07 AM
We did run LT tires on our 06 3400.They were General LT and as I recall the max tire load was 3080 per tire.You have to have the Montana weighed to determine the load on each tire as I recall when we were weighed at the fall rally we were over on 3 of the 4 tires. We also had Cooper Lt tires on the 3400.We had no problems with the LT tires but with these heavy Montanans the chances are you will be out of specs in regard to tire load..

PPeppel
09-13-2016, 12:09 PM
MLH
As the tires are a huge point of false I see the point. My issue is the fact that many of the recommended replacemen's are also China tires. Several US made don't make the weight load I need (14k)so I'm at somewhat of a loss. Searched online and talked to truck shop down the road and keep ending up with a brand made in china.

Carl n Susan
09-13-2016, 04:50 PM
The Sailuns, while made in China, are the exception to the "Do Not Use" rule. They are actually manufactured to exacting standards and have been in use for several years without incidents. Check the MOC, RV.net, IRV2 and any other RV oriented forum and all users are pleased. The fact they are around $130 each is an extra bonus.

jlb27537
09-14-2016, 01:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by PPeppel

MLH
As the tires are a huge point of false I see the point. My issue is the fact that many of the recommended replacemen's are also China tires. Several US made don't make the weight load I need (14k)so I'm at somewhat of a loss. Searched online and talked to truck shop down the road and keep ending up with a brand made in china.

The Sailuns are a good option, about $130 each. You only need 4. Use the OEM tire for a spare, cause it is just that. Sell the take-off's on C list and your cost is almost nothing.

You mention you only need 14k tires. The brochure shows your UNLOADED SHIPPING WEIGHT IS 13,470lbs with a 3,475lbs carrying capacity. That puts your trailer at a real world weight loaded weight close to 17K. Figure 20-23% on the pin. Yes you need 14K tires on the axles, which Sailun's and a Goodyear G614 will work.

Next is the towing with a undersized truck, but that is for a different thread.

PSFORD99
09-14-2016, 02:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

I stand corrected...all the states now have speed limits. I do find it interesting some of the good folks on here are towing at speeds that might be "legal" but with trucks that clearly exceed their GVWR and/or GCWR.

At one time Montana had no speed limit, but its been quite a few years ago. I guess there were more.

PPeppel
09-15-2016, 01:50 AM
JIB

Had trailer weighed and dry from the factory was 13.1k, fully loaded is just shy of 14k with empty tanks which is how I will be rolling. All is well under my hitch/tow-able rate (15.9k). But thanks for the tire info as with everyone hating CB's but then recommending another made in China I was confused.

baybum10
09-17-2016, 02:39 PM
I figured I had spent all that money for a new 5th wheel and the HC was in the lighter weight range so I should at least get two years from the tires. At the end of Labor Day Weekend, just shy of two years and after about 5000 miles the Power King Towmax had the belt shift and was starting to come apart. I was lucky,no damage, the TPMS system I had installed warned me of a significant pressure loss. Correct pressure was maintained and the TPMS confirmed it at the beginning of every trip. Guess these tires are junk even for the lighter weight High Country. Anyway made it home safely on the spare from Cape Charles Va. to NJ. Four new Sailun Tires will be installed this week.

mlh
09-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Baybum10 smart move getting good tires. You can never assume you will get a mile out of the OEM China bomb tires. You are not the first on MOC this has happened to you will not be the last. A word to the wise!
Lynwood

bigskyjimmy
09-17-2016, 03:01 PM
The Goodyear Gy614 or Nothing Is now a thing of the Past as Many of us are using Made in China G rated 14 ply Lt's for years and thousands of miles with great success and that includes Sailuns,Geostars G574's like me and my buddy as that is what Les Schwab tires here out West sells and lots of them AND then you have Westlake any many others.. Just stay away from anything ST IMO on these Heavier Montys as they are not the right tool for the job

craigb
09-17-2016, 05:04 PM
All ST tires are rated at 65mph. Some auto tires are only rated at 70mph

I don't know why the OEMs would put put 65 mph tires on a camper and send them out on a 75 MPG highway.
We have seen over and over this same story. If you have ST China bomb tires on your camper you are are begging for trouble. Run them at your own risk.
Lynwood

jameswbarton
09-18-2016, 04:22 AM
My Ranier ST Tires OEM on my Montana HC 375 FL are 75 mph speed rated. They are made in Thailand. I have no idea how good or bad they might be little info is available on the internet.

mhs4771
09-18-2016, 05:03 AM
Our good friends had Ranier's on their new Jayco and ended up replacing all four during our Maritime trip last summer. Broken belts, bulges, even one exploded.

jameswbarton
09-18-2016, 06:16 AM
Any idea on how old the Raniers were?

mhs4771
09-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Less than a year old. A trip to Florida then back to Western New York then off to the Canadian Maritime.

Mark N.
09-23-2016, 12:43 PM
I was a professional driver of one thing or another for my entire working life. I'm 62 now and retired for 5 years. I pull at 70 mph when the freeways are dry, there is light traffic, no wind, and visibility is good. I feel totally comfortable at this speed. I'll even go faster when passing. I'm doing it on G614 tires, but would NEVER go that fast on Marathons.

mlh
09-23-2016, 02:10 PM
Mark I agree completely. That is what speed limits are for if you have the proper tires. Let others drive at some magic lower speed.
Lynwood

scattershot
09-24-2016, 02:13 PM
TO answer the OP , I had a blowout with a Carlisle tire that causd significant damage. I contacted the company, and they covered the damage. I run Goodrich Commercial TAs on my 5er now, no problems.

kenneth e holman
09-24-2016, 04:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigb

All ST tires are rated at 65mph. Some auto tires are only rated at 70mph

Lynwood

kenneth e holman
09-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Not all ST tires are rated at 65 mph. The sailun's are ST tires and are an 129L code which stands for 75 mph rated.There tires don't show ST in there advertisement but it is now stamped ST on there sidewall- at least on the 235x80x16.

rames14
10-02-2016, 12:43 PM
First, to help with clarification, both the G614 from Goodyear and the Sailun's are all steel carcass's per Tredit. That separates the China Sailun's from the other Chinese tires which are poly steel construction. Second, again per Tredit, the Sailun's are now rated as Trailer Tires so they don't fall under the tariff system and they are allowed to sell below their manufacturing cost. They make their profit from the Chinese government. Unfortunately for Goodyear, their G614's don't get government subsidies. Third, as hinted at in an earlier post, speed limits are the top recommended speed under optimum conditions. And we've all been passed by the guy running China Bombs, doing 80 mph because they can, through rain and 30 mph side winds and overloaded on gcwr with a boat trailer behind. This forum has a lot of great information. If you go through the many pages of tire posts and still drive down the road with E rated tires, good luck. And let's not even add TPMS into the discussion. Even G rated all steel tires pick up nails and screws.

MARK A
10-03-2016, 06:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by rames14

First, to help with clarification, both the G614 from Goodyear and the Sailun's are all steel carcass's per Tredit. That separates the China Sailun's from the other Chinese tires which are poly steel construction. Second, again per Tredit, the Sailun's are now rated as Trailer Tires so they don't fall under the tariff system and they are allowed to sell below their manufacturing cost. They make their profit from the Chinese government. Unfortunately for Goodyear, their G614's don't get government subsidies. Third, as hinted at in an earlier post, speed limits are the top recommended speed under optimum conditions. And we've all been passed by the guy running China Bombs, doing 80 mph because they can, through rain and 30 mph side winds and overloaded on gcwr with a boat trailer behind. This forum has a lot of great information. If you go through the many pages of tire posts and still drive down the road with E rated tires, good luck. And let's not even add TPMS into the discussion. Even G rated all steel tires pick up nails and screws.

Ron,
You're going to have to add Geostar G574 to your list in order to remain accurate.;)
All-steel casing supports high load rating, providing maximum strength and durability.

Mark

craigb
10-03-2016, 06:53 AM
I switched to Samson All Steel ST235/85R16 14 ply Load range G Super Heavy Duty tire when my Marathons blew up. This tire is steel bead to bead. Got 3,000 miles so far.

Richard Harrison
01-15-2017, 09:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by ctwebb

Hi all, Has anyone gone after the tire makers for the damage to your unit after a tire blow out. We have the Power King Tow Max tires that are three years old and have about 5000 miles on them. One blew out yesterday and caused a good amount of damage to my unit. Tire pressures were correct. No signs or warnings when we hears the loud explosion I assume this is where the term China bomb comes from
Thanks for your input

Richard Harrison
01-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Hi Iam am new to MOC but have been camping for years.

Last tip I blew 2 copper tires that were only 4 years old The tread was over 75% good and pressure was up.
I have found that most tires blow for one of two reasons. Either a road hazard or over heating . I believe mine was road hazard. When they went, There was another camper a 10 feet up the road with the same problem and I had gone over 800 miles before they blow. They were made in China but so is everything today. They were a good brand (COPPER ) and did not show any signs of stress when I set out.
I have picked up things in my tires you never see when driving. Bolts, Pieces of metal, nails, screws,even had a screw driver in one, on a trip.

When I got home I put 2 more new tires on just to match up the new ones I had to replace on the road.
PS Covering your tires when sitting a long time is highly recommended.

mlh
01-15-2017, 10:45 AM
I think if you stay around here long enough you will see a pattern. I've been here since 2004 and have seen many blowouts usually in the summer when most people are traveling and it's hot and the cheap light Chinese ST tires start blowing out. They have watched the pressure not drove too fast and still a blowout has took the side off of their camper. I have seen very few problems with the G rated tires. A lot of people here have got G rated tires after they had a blowout with the Chinese ST tires and have had no problem since.
Lynwood

Art-n-Marge
01-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Besides Sailun, I've heard Maxxis is a pretty good tire. I run them on my rig with good luck. On the other hand I didn't have bad luck with my Marathons. In fact, the only tire I've had a quality issue was the infamous Mission tire which for me was the first tire I heard the term China bomb used wth. I know Goodyear Marathon had horror stories but I had no issue with mine, but I think I was their original owner and never abused them.

Besides the understanding they have improved as an ST, since these were OEMs I tend to believe RV transporters abused them. As for Mission, I think they were a bad tire which is why they went out of business.

WeBeFulltime
01-16-2017, 01:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by Richard Harrison

Hi Iam am new to MOC but have been camping for years.

Last tip I blew 2 copper tires that were only 4 years old The tread was over 75% good and pressure was up.
I have found that most tires blow for one of two reasons. Either a road hazard or over heating . I believe mine was road hazard. When they went, There was another camper a 10 feet up the road with the same problem and I had gone over 800 miles before they blow. They were made in China but so is everything today. They were a good brand (COPPER ) and did not show any signs of stress when I set out.
I have picked up things in my tires you never see when driving. Bolts, Pieces of metal, nails, screws,even had a screw driver in one, on a trip.

When I got home I put 2 more new tires on just to match up the new ones I had to replace on the road.
PS Covering your tires when sitting a long time is highly recommended.

I haven't heard of "Copper" brand tires. Are you possibly referring to "Cooper" ?

scattershot
02-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Carlisle tires came on my previous 5er, and naturally I had a blowout. It dis quite a bit of damage to the wheelwell of the Tahoe, and Carlisle paid for the damage.

Word to the wise, stay away from Chinese tires. If you do have a claim, the company will want to see the old tire, so save it and take lots of pictures.