PDA

View Full Version : I-10 thru El Paso

BB_TX
05-28-2016, 10:55 AM
My daughter will be traveling I-10 westbound (not towing) thru El Paso going to Las Cruces. Have never been thru there. Should she just stay on I-10 straight thru? Some route around? Any concerns just passing thru?

DQDick
05-28-2016, 11:07 AM
I'd go straight thru. Haven't been thru since March and there was construction there and in Las Cruces so you might want to check with the highway departments to make sure something strange isn't going on.

Sundogette
05-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Also pay attention to the weather. It it is forecast to be windy, the dust storms have really been difficult for travelers on I 10. Please make sure your daughter understands what to do in a dust storm.

BB_TX
05-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info. She will be going in a couple weeks. Will check on highway and weather conditions then.

8.1al
05-28-2016, 12:56 PM
There have been problems with dust storms the last couple weeks on I-10 west of the New Mexico, Arizona border. The problem was some recently cleared land. Arizona feels they have a handle on it now but for those that don't know, it is recommended that you pull as far off the road as possible, turn off your lights and keep your foot off of the brake.

BB_TX
05-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Good info. Never been in one.

twindman
05-28-2016, 02:22 PM
A few days ago, I10 just heading south from Las Cruces for about 2-3 miles they had it narrowed to one lane. It was backed up for about 2 miles. Not sure if there is any way around it either.
As to El Paso, I10 is ALWAYS a mess in my opinion. My daughter lives there, so we visit several times a year. The overhead signs are strange to say the least. 5 lanes, left 2 say Highway 54. Within a quarter mile, the 54 arrow is in the right 2 lanes!
Good luck.

Art-n-Marge
05-29-2016, 08:41 PM
If you are not familiar with the area, then stay on I-10, even with rush hour traffic. Their traffic ain't that bad. Now if she were going to L.A., CA, it would be a whole different story, starting with, why the heck would anyone wanna drive to L.A., CA, on purpose!?