PDA

View Full Version : The Problem with Tire Pressure Monitor Systems

loua_loua
04-23-2016, 03:31 AM
I wanted to relate an issue we had traveling to Lubbock Texas recently so as to warn everyone about the proper installation of a Tire Pressure Monitor. We have had a TPMS on our 2011 3455SA Montana for several years now, ever since we had a blow out on the Fredericksburg Va,loop which resulted in $3500.oo in body damage. We purchased the TST system and screwed on the tire monitors to the valve stems after upgrading to Goodyear G rated tires.

On our way to Lubbock TX recently, we stopped at a Flying J and I noticed one tire was starting to fail due to a broken spoke on the Aluminium Alloy Rim. Luckily we were just down the road from a camping world and they put on the spare and we were off. The next day the TPMS monitor went off and the right rear tire was loosing pressure fast. We called our road side assistance folks, they sent a guy out and found the valve stem was the culprit. He replaced it and we were off again. The next day, same thing, a valve stem problem on the left rear. Once again, we got it fixed and were on our way.

We found out that if you're going to have a TPMS monitor your tires, you better put on metal valve stems. The sensor offers too much resistance and WILL eventually damage the rubber valve stem, even if it is one of those high pressure stems you need for the G rated tires. But here's the catch. We were told by the Goodyear Dealer in Lubbock you can't put metal valve stems on Alum Alloy rims. They don't make them and the ones at the Auto stores, won't fit. We replace the Alum Alloys with steel, and metal valve stems and drove from Lubbock to our home in Pa without a problem.

I wanted to let everyone know our experience so you can watch out for cracked valve stems if you use the screw on type TPMS sensors.

mhs4771
04-23-2016, 04:49 AM
Well that Goodyear dealer is wrong. We're on our third 5er with Aluminum wheels and have had all metal valve stems in all, that include a Montana and two SOBs

Dam Worker
04-23-2016, 04:56 AM
With my new Sailun's the tire dealer sent new metal valve stems. He reminded me that they come with two different size o-rings. At least that is what I remember him saying. One size or the other would work in my aluminum rims.

Tom Marty

RKassl
04-23-2016, 05:16 AM
My 2015 3440RL came from the factory with G614's on aluminum wheels with metal valve stems. I have a Pressure Pro TPMS and everything works fine. Just bought a new 2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 and had the dealer put on metal valve stems on my new truck rims.

jjackflash
04-23-2016, 05:30 AM
We have a 2008 3400 RL which we bought in Late 2007. 1 year after purchase I installed G614's with metal valves and never have had a problem,that Goodyear dealer was wrong!
Jack

johnregrus
04-23-2016, 06:32 AM
I think what the Goodyear dealer was trying to say was when you place Aluminium against another metal there is a reaction and aluminium corrosion will occur over time.

bigskyjimmy
04-23-2016, 06:38 AM
That is true,But my dealer Les Schwab out here in the West said they would not install the tires without metal stems they have seen to many failures without themquote:Originally posted by johnregrus

I think what the Goodyear dealer was trying to say was when you place Aluminium against another metal there is a reaction and aluminium corrosion will occur over time.

Mudchief
04-23-2016, 09:39 PM
On our 3rd Montana with Aluminum wheels and metal stems and never had a problem not even with corrosion.

loua_loua
04-24-2016, 02:02 AM
Thank you for all your responses. All I can say is after the third valve stem problem, I bought metal valve stems at a NAPA Auto Parts Store, brought them back to the 5ver and they would not mount into the Allum. rims. Ironically, my wife and I went to a local dealer in Pa yesterday and I noticed on the 2016 models, anyway, the rims looked to be Aluminum with metal valve stems. So, the Goodyear dealer may have been wrong but I'm glad I'm riding with metal stems. I have had no problems with the rims or stems. A costly lesson I guess.

WaltBennett
04-25-2016, 01:15 AM
All Tredit wheels on Montanas come with metal valve stems (at least that was what a Tredit person told me). If you've Tredit wheels and they don't have metal stems, some idiot tire mech. took them off - like a Firestone clown did to mine - and put wiggly fake rubber ones on that will only last five years at best. Tredit sells the metal ones they put on their wheels and that's where I got the ones I just put back on my wheels. Mine were way under $2 each plus shipping.

jjackflash
04-25-2016, 05:35 AM
The older models didn't always come with metal stems.
Jack

Bill.vannuys
04-25-2016, 06:35 AM
Walt,
Thanks for the information on Tredit valve Stems! I'm thinking of changing my metal stems (a little short) to something a little longer and figure Tredit must have a good stem length for the rims they make. Thanks for the excellent idea I wasn't quite getting.
Bill