PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Utah

Jay Bird
02-16-2016, 12:17 PM
If you had two places you could visit in Utah where would that be? Also, what campground would stay at?

halfwright
02-16-2016, 12:42 PM
Canyonlands NP (might as well see Arches while there)
Stay at Dead Horse Point State Park.

Zion NP
Stay at a small RV park run buy a motel near the south entrance--forgot the name. Across the highway from the golf course

onekla
02-16-2016, 01:03 PM
We would definitely go back to Moab and spend more time in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. We stayed right outside the park in a gated park called Moab Valley RV Park. We would stay there again.

Also Bryce and Zion National Parks are on our list. We visited both while on a bus tour. We'd like to spend more time there exploring. Can't make any recommendations on RV parks there though.

Y'all need to travel through Arkansas and fill that state in on your map! We could offer some recommendations if interested.

Irlpguy
02-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Zion, Bryce Canyon, Kolob Canyons, stayed in a lovely campground backing onto the Virgin River in Virgin Utah, I think it was Zion River Resort.

Jay Bird
02-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Thanks Jim and Darlene, Kathy & Brian, and Ed & Carol. We appreciate you responses. It looks like Zion is recommended by all. This gives us a great starting point.

pkbridges77
02-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Bryce and Zion, within easy driving distance of Cedar Breaks on Utah 14. No place on earth like these beautiful parks. I would shoot for Duck Creek Campground, Hwy 14 on Cedar Mountain. Always much cooler there when it can approach 100 in Zion. Good trout fishing there and Navajo Lake. You can spend at least a day at Zion, a day at Bryce, and if you do that try to work in a short day trip to Coral Pink Sand Dunes north of Kanab. Wish I could recommend a campground near Zion but not familiar with any although I seem to remember there are some in/near Springdale. One other treasure that is worth it is a day trip to the North Rim of Grand Canyon. Much less use than South Rim and 1000 ft higher. Completely different view. That whole area is my old vacationing stomping grounds growing up in '60s and 70s. Dad built a cabin about half way between Bryce and Zion on 89 that is now ours. We'll spend a month there in Sept-Oct this year.

twindman
02-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Just remember you can't travel directly from Bryce to Zion, I think. If memory is correct, there is a tunnel somewhere between the two. Can't remember if I am mixing it up with elsewhere, but I think there is something about scheduling a time with someone and they turn the tunnel into a one way road for a while ($$$).

tooth ferry
02-16-2016, 06:10 PM
The tunnel is no problem. You pay for a 2 way trip and they stop the oncoming traffic so you can drive down the middle. Did it with our 2014 Mon. High Country listed as 13'3". Both ways no problem except for nervous DW on the first run

tooth ferry
02-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Tunnel is not a problem. You buy a 2 way pass and they stop the oncoming traffic so you can drive down the middle. Did it with our Montana High Country listed as 13'3" tall. Did not need to pre-schedule but we were there in the middle of the day. No problem except for nervous DW on the first run. Kind of fun.

tooth ferry
02-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Double post, sorry. I didn't think it worked on the first try.

timandsusan
02-17-2016, 01:29 AM
We got to Utah every year to see the G-Kids. Our favorites are Bryce because it is very compact, great color in the rock formations, and star viewing (try to catch a Ranger show on the stars with their telescopes). Bryce is one of the darkest places in the US. Next is Moab with Arches and Canyonland NP. We have been several time to both. I think you could stay 5 days in Moab and enjoy so many sights from that central location. Have a great trip.

jcurtis934
02-17-2016, 03:34 AM
There was a huge slide just west of the tunnel in october, if I remember correctly. Took out the road. John

BB_TX
02-17-2016, 04:07 AM
Have driven thru the tunnel but not towed thru it. Tunnel is on the east entrance highway. But from their web site:

Q. What are the size limits for an oversized vehicle?
A. Any vehicle that is 11 feet 4 inches high or higher and 7 feet 10 inches wide or wider needs the one-way traffic control service. Any vehicle 13 feet high or higher cannot pass through the tunnel.
Length restrictions are 40 feet for a single vehicle and 50 feet for any vehicle combination.

They state a 13 ft max height restriction and a 50 ft total length restriction. Don't know how well that is enforced. But it would be a long drive back and around if they held to that.

Note that if you look at google maps street view, the entrance to the tunnel says 13'-1" in the center quickly sloping off to 11'-4" at the sides.

jimcol
02-17-2016, 04:07 AM
Your memory is correct John but it only had it out for about 4 days. George and Rosetta, if you do go to Zion, and you don't go in from the East, do yourself a favor and drive from the West to the East entrance without the 5'er. It gives one a completely different view of the park. Jim

twindman
02-17-2016, 04:51 AM
I would say if your Montana is newer than 4-5 years none of us can go thru the tunnel ;) since we are all over 13 feet.

quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Have driven thru the tunnel but not towed thru it. Tunnel is on the east entrance highway. But from their web site:

Q. What are the size limits for an oversized vehicle?
A. Any vehicle that is 11 feet 4 inches high or higher and 7 feet 10 inches wide or wider needs the one-way traffic control service. Any vehicle 13 feet high or higher cannot pass through the tunnel.
Length restrictions are 40 feet for a single vehicle and 50 feet for any vehicle combination.

They state a 13 ft max height restriction and a 50 ft total length restriction. Don't know how well that is enforced. But it would be a long drive back and around if they held to that.

Note that if you look at google maps street view, the entrance to the tunnel says 13'-1" in the center quickly sloping off to 11'-4" at the sides.

pkbridges77
02-17-2016, 12:06 PM
If you decide to stay at Duck Creek on Hwy 14, base out of there and go to Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Coral Pink Sand, etc without the 5er. You'll be a lot more comfortable, especially at Zion, and have a lot more flexibility. In fact, you could do some exploration without the 5er to see if there is a place you would like to camp. Agree with above about the tunnel. There can be delays up to 30 min. or so waiting for the one way traffic, and you get that whether you're pulling a trailer or not. You'll also have to park at the visitor center and take the tram to Zion Canyon where the Narrows are. Ha! I can remember two way semi truck traffic through that tunnel! It's kind of an engineering marvel, but intimidating with a big rig.

pkbridges77
02-17-2016, 12:09 PM
Forgot to add - I-15 to Cedar City, Utah 14 to US 89 avoids the Zion tunnel and gets you to the east side of Zion, Bryce, and all those other sites.

Jay Bird
02-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Kathy and Brian. You are right we need to hit Arkansas one day. We were originally going to go through Arkansas on our way to CA but had change plans. It is still on our to do list.

Jay Bird
02-17-2016, 01:17 PM
Paul & Tracy, Tom & Gail, Rogers & Sue, Tim & Susan, John, and Bill and Patricia Thanks. Lots of good info here. This will help with the planning. We do not plan to go through the tunnel. We were warned of that. With the IS our unit is 13'6". Thanks again.

jpkelpe
02-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Capitol Reef National Park is a very nice and interesting park. Did not have Monty with us so can't help with campgrounds. I know Mrs Country Guy stayed at a campground near there. Not many people visit the park so it is not crowded. She went there on our recommendation and then went back and spent more time a couple of years later

Recumbent
02-19-2016, 09:42 AM
I agree with the other recommendations plus a good day trip while near Bryce Canyon is Scenic Highway 12 up to Capital Reef. That it is a good drive if you don't mind looking out either side of the truck straight down several hundred feet with no shoulder.:) We recommend not towing on Hwy 12.

mainer
02-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Just two favorite in Utah is tough. I think Utah has been one of our favorite places to visit too.

When we went to Zion, I was able to get reservations right in the park. Not a full hook up, I think it might have been electric only, remember stopping in the park to fill up our tank. We didn't have any problem with our 40 foot Montana with our site.

At Bryce there really is only one park that is close by, Ruby's Inn Campground, very convenient to drive to and they have a shuttle right outside the park.

US Highway 12 is a breathtaking drive too and Red Canyon State Park is a nice stop.

Loved Moab and the Arches too. Canyonland National Park, Dead Horse State Park

Sooo much to see. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

As you can see, I can't just do 2.....

TLightning
02-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Most have spoken about southern Utah. The northern part of the state is totally different with mountains, trees and lots of national and state parks. Check size restrictions before entering a park.

Keith Schweizer
02-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Living in Utah with 5 national parks it's always nice to head south to see all of that awesome red rock. At Zion'I would really recommend The Zion River Resort, Very Nice, really close to the park. Very clean camp ground, quiet. I would stay there again for sure. Just don't visit the parks during spring break, or free admission to the park day. WAY to crowded.

Enjoy!

Jay Bird
02-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Thanks to everyone. It looks like about three weeks is in the planning. We have identified three focal areas. We will locate ourselves if possible where we can use the campground as a jump off place to visit the areas near or around it. We are looking forward to the trip. Thanks again.

rames14
02-26-2016, 03:53 PM
George, if you stay at Ruby's Inn at Bryce, you can easily cover Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef. Then, slide over to Moab and visit Arches and Canyonlands NP's. If you have the time, Monument Valley and the slot canyons should also be on your list also.

Jay Bird
02-28-2016, 03:49 PM
Ron. Those are the regions under consideration. Thanks.

bigskyjimmy
02-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Zion river Rv resort hands downs:Dclose to the park and real high end resort for a fair price[8D]WE'LL BE BACK!!!:D

Hiller
03-01-2016, 03:33 PM
The only advice I can give is where ever you go make your reservations as early as you can. We ended up in a nice campground called Temple View in St. George UT but it was not close to anything and we drove a round a lot.

Jay Bird
03-03-2016, 05:15 AM
Thanks Jimmy, Barb and Rich.

Jay Bird
03-15-2016, 03:26 PM
We have made reservations Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, and Moab. Each reservation is for 7 days. Looking forward to a wonderful trip.

mmgeol
03-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Hi George,

You picked some good spots to visit. If you are staying at Gouldings in Monument Valley (or not), I would recommend taking their full day tour of the Valley, it was wonderful.

Jay Bird
03-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Hi Curtis.

We are staying at Gouldings. Thanks for the recommendation. Taking tours is something we have been discussing. The planning continues.

JandC
03-18-2016, 04:37 AM
I have been making notes on some of these suggestions. Back in 2010 we did a 4,000 miles "out west" trip on the Harley. We didn't know much about Utah so we only spent time in the southern part. Out of all the western states we visited back then, southern Utah had some of the best scenery!

Even though we have been out west in the Montana since then I am pushing for another bike trip just to Utah. The whole state sounds like a hidden treasure!

DHenry
03-18-2016, 05:21 AM
When anyone is staying in Moab, UT I highly recommend taking this tour. http://www.danmick.com/#page-top This company does an awesome job giving you a 4 X 4 rock crawling experience.

Jay Bird
03-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks Doug

richfaa
03-20-2016, 04:40 AM
Bryce and Zion as well as the North rim are on our list this summer.We had not read this entire thread before and it has been a great help.

Jay Bird
03-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Glad there was info for you to use Rich.

WeBeFulltime
03-22-2016, 02:05 AM
We also plan to see this part of our world this summer. Is end of May an OK time to head that way from Chattanooga? This thread has also been VERY informative for us.

washley1
03-24-2016, 02:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

We also plan to see this part of our world this summer. Is end of May an OK time to head that way from Chattanooga? This thread has also been VERY informative for us.

Yes. We went west in 2012, from FL. We left here on May 15, went up to St Louis then across to Utah. Great weather all the way across. Not too hot for our 2 weeks in Utah, which is a plus. I would love to go that way again!