PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Advice

Tail Lights
02-03-2016, 03:18 AM
Hope someone can share their dog experience with us. We are traveling this spring with a 55 pound, 7 month old Golden Retriever. We also have a 3 year old cat that does her best to stay away from the dog (dog wants to play, cat runs). We have been training the dog but its a work in process as she still often turns into a crazy puppy - which she is.

We are considering an outdoor dog pen. We would not leave the dog unattended but we think she would be more relaxed in a pen and we might have more time to ourselves outside when she is in it.

The down side is its about 60 lbs of more stuff that cost about $125 that we may not actually use or perhaps only use for a short time. Are pens really worth the $$ and extra weight in the RV?

We would value any advice anyone has (including tips on traveling long distance with a puppy).

WaltBennett
02-03-2016, 03:43 AM
We've traveled with several dogs over the years, but anything over about 30 lbs can jump any of the pens we've seen for dogs. They're just not tall enough. What we've done with our current young dog was to get a large folding crate (wire grid kind)that was big enough for him standing. On our first trip with him last year (7 through 9 months of age) he spent most nights in it and we would put him in it whenever he got too rambunctious. Folded up it slipped between the couch and end wall for traveling, and we could put it outside or at the side of the living room other times. He's now 13 months and up to 47 lbs and will use an old larger one we've got in our bedroom at times. The one we traveled with is in our S&B living room for when he does his act.

Happycamperscolorado
02-03-2016, 03:59 AM
some folks like them some folks hate them but with our last 3 labs we trained them with the hunting collars. does it work? yes it does. did we use it for a long period. no. do we still use it yes, but very little. only when we have guest at the house and our lab gets excited. she knows when the collar goes on
to behave. at the campground we will put it on every now and then but for the most part she stays on the camp site without leaving because we trained her that way. there a a ton of different training methods and for us, the collar worked. our pups caught on quick with the collar and after a few days for the most part we did not need it for stay, sit, down etc... commands.

swanny
02-03-2016, 04:12 AM
The dog needs to be trained properly, sorry so blunt. You get out of a dog what you put in. We have owned goldens for years always 2 and camped everywhere with them with not one issue. We very seldom even tether them when outside. I find it amazing no matter wear we camp they learn the boundaries really fast. So, train , train, train no matter what method you choose and I wouldn't go the fenced in route.

good luck, kevin

elknut
02-03-2016, 04:46 AM
We travel all over the U.S. competing in AKC obedience trials with our 70# Goldendoodle. We use a collapsible kennel made by Guardian Gear-it is all fabric and unfolds to approx. 41"L x 31" H and 20" W.
It is sturdy and has plenty of ventilation. When folded up and in the carrying case we put it behind the couch in the Monty. The kennel in the case is only 2.5" wide. We use it at the campsite and at the dog shows. I believe most dogs like a place of their own to unwind and relax in private. Can't remember where we purchased it-but for our needs it is great.

spikedog
02-03-2016, 05:51 AM
We have stayed at campgrounds that do not allow outside pens or crates even if the owner is sitting with their pet. Not a frequent happening but it is out there.

1retired06
02-03-2016, 06:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by swanny

The dog needs to be trained properly, sorry so blunt. You get out of a dog what you put in. We have owned goldens for years always 2 and camped everywhere with them with not one issue. We very seldom even tether them when outside. I find it amazing no matter wear we camp they learn the boundaries really fast. So, train , train, train no matter what method you choose and I wouldn't go the fenced in route.

good luck, kevin

Most campgrounds enforce leash requirements

PeteandJoan
02-03-2016, 07:48 AM
We also have seen campsites that do not allow pens. We have used the electronic collars for several of our dogs over the years. They do not HURT the dog...just high pitched ring first and then if the dog does not respond properly then you can give them a mild (according to how you set it up) shock. They learn fast and you will have a much better puppy in no time at all. Take the dog for walks on a leash and with the collar also. Tug leash first to correct dog and if no response after a couple of tugs then give her a "ring" and then as a last resort a mild shock. Do this every day and soon you will not need collar, just the leash. If puppy regresses.....you can still put collar on for retraining. Good luck !

kdeiss
02-03-2016, 09:35 AM

good luck, kevin

I totally Agree!

swanny
02-03-2016, 10:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

good luck, kevin

Most campgrounds enforce leash requirements

Very true, Knock on wood we have had only one CG enforce it. Our dogs act as if they are on leashes. We always leash walk. During training alway be 100% consistent, commands, verbiage and tone.

Mike117
02-05-2016, 12:55 PM
I have bought a canvas collapsible pen on Amazon. Our dog is 50 pounds. Frame and canvas folds down. Floor cleans and plenty of ventilation. Zip door and top.