PDA

View Full Version : weapons and Canada


tooth ferry
02-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Suggestions requested for - what do you do with your weapons if you are are traveling along the U.S. side of the border and want to go into Canada for a few days?

chris199
02-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Google it or check here...

http://canada.usembassy.gov/mobile//traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

1retired06
02-03-2016, 02:22 AM
We have dropped off (handgun) at the border, no problem. Receipt provided and then picked up at reentry back into the states.

CORattler
02-03-2016, 06:50 AM
You mean Canadian customs will store it for you?

quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

We have dropped off (handgun) at the border, no problem. Receipt provided and then picked up at reentry back into the states.

1retired06
02-03-2016, 07:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

You mean Canadian customs will store it for you?

quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

We have dropped off (handgun) at the border, no problem. Receipt provided and then picked up at reentry back into the states.



Yes

richfaa
02-05-2016, 01:01 PM
We cross the border often and wee had no idea Canadian border folks would store weapons. My advise is to purge the RV and truck No firearms, bullets, clips, holster anything that might be identified as maybe you have a firearm. You will have a very bad day if detained.

"In all cases, travelers must declare to Canadian Customs authorities any firearms and weapons in their possession when entering Canada. There are often facilities near border crossings where weapons may be stored, pending the traveler's return to the United States, but this should be done before attempting to enter Canada.

NOTE:Canadian law requires that officials seize firearms and weapons from those crossing the border who deny having them in their possession. Seized firearms and weapons are never returned.

"Storing your weapon at the U.S. or Canadian Border

It is not possible to store your guns at the U.S. or Canadian border crossing. If you want to check your firearms into storage you must do it before you get to the border crossing. One of the more popular recommendations for doing this is to rent a local safety deposit box. You can also look up the gun shop nearest to the border crossing you intend to use, and call them to see if they have any recommendations specific to their town.

sapest
02-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Long guns can generally be brought with you, but REQUIRE a permit.
There is a list of restricted weapons, including all handguns and other things you may not think of, like bear spray and brass knuckles.

Have never heard of CBSA storing weapons. Dont forget to check on what foods cant cross, right now its any uncooked poultry and poultry related products including a lot of pet foods. Even some fireworks.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html
-Steve

1retired06
02-05-2016, 04:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We cross the border often and wee had no idea Canadian border folks would store weapons. My advise is to purge the RV and truck No firearms, bullets, clips, holster anything that might be identified as maybe you have a firearm. You will have a very bad day if detained.

"In all cases, travelers must declare to Canadian Customs authorities any firearms and weapons in their possession when entering Canada. There are often facilities near border crossings where weapons may be stored, pending the traveler's return to the United States, but this should be done before attempting to enter Canada.

NOTE:Canadian law requires that officials seize firearms and weapons from those crossing the border who deny having them in their possession. Seized firearms and weapons are never returned.

"Storing your weapon at the U.S. or Canadian Border

It is not possible to store your guns at the U.S. or Canadian border crossing. If you want to check your firearms into storage you must do it before you get to the border crossing. One of the more popular recommendations for doing this is to rent a local safety deposit box. You can also look up the gun shop nearest to the border crossing you intend to use, and call them to see if they have any recommendations specific to their town.




Again, we stored ours at the border crossing, Canadian side. Folks were pretty nice about it. Declared it, it was unloaded and in the fiver, were told we could not bring in, I indicated we would have to cancel our visit, and they offered to store for us, and there was no charge. Should add however significant differences concerning gun ownership between the two countries,

richfaa
02-06-2016, 02:39 AM
Iretired06.You were there on a good day and you did declare it. It may not work the next time.

1retired06
02-06-2016, 04:30 PM
You are probably right!

Dam Worker
02-07-2016, 07:34 AM
We had to give the wife pepper spay bottle to the queen years ago when going into Canada. It was on the confiscate list. Canada has some other laws that are not well known. Look up their rules pertaining to DWI's, felonies etc. Usually you can pay the queen a sum of money and be quickly put on the good list. LMAO.

I guess I will have to make sure there are no trace of weapons, ammo etc if I ever go up North again. We actually had our unit searched by the USA side on one trip. Probably less than five or ten minute delay but never the less you can not be there when they search your rig. My wife also had a very high security clearance which was probably a higher clearance than anybody at the crossing.

Good luck and maybe a phone call before you get there would help make everything go smoothly.

Tom Marty

richfaa
02-09-2016, 10:13 AM
One never knows what may happen or what the "security Condition" may be on the day and time you are there. Border guards both sides are very good at "profiling" people. We have been across the border many times over the years with not a problem. Know the very up to date laws particularly those concerning firearm's. Do not try to fool the border guards you will most likely lose. Plan ahead.

Know what it on the "do not bring " list and do not bring it.

washley1
02-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Maybe 25 years ago we had a pop up and took a trip north of the border. We crossed at Thunder Bay area on the west end of Superior. The Canadian border guard saw my Florida tags and immediately asked if we had any mace. We laughed and said no, and really thought she was making a joke. Very sternly she advised us that EVERYONE from Florida has mace,and there would be the Devil to pay if we tried to slip it in. I'm sure she took our number and reported us. My DW is Canadian, and she could not believe it. Of course everyone knows Floridians don't carry mace...they just CARRY!
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

We had to give the wife pepper spay bottle to the queen years ago when going into Canada. It was on the confiscate list. Canada has some other laws that are not well known. Look up their rules pertaining to DWI's, felonies etc. Usually you can pay the queen a sum of money and be quickly put on the good list. LMAO.

I guess I will have to make sure there are no trace of weapons, ammo etc if I ever go up North again. We actually had our unit searched by the USA side on one trip. Probably less than five or ten minute delay but never the less you can not be there when they search your rig. My wife also had a very high security clearance which was probably a higher clearance than anybody at the crossing.

Good luck and maybe a phone call before you get there would help make everything go smoothly.

Tom Marty

richfaa
02-10-2016, 08:33 AM
Oh I more thing be aware of what you can bring back from Canada to the USA. The USA border crossing can be much worse than going the other way.

TLightning
02-10-2016, 03:11 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Canada is as bad as Mexico...different reasons, but just as bad. I'm not going to either country.

Irlpguy
02-11-2016, 02:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

As far as I'm concerned, Canada is as bad as Mexico...different reasons, but just as bad. I'm not going to either country.


As a very "PROUD" Canadian I find it difficult to understand the above statement and will control the urge to not respond in the way in which I would like to.

I have traveled pretty much all of the central and western US and have made many friends along the way, I have made myself aware of the rules and regulations I must observe when crossing into the US and returning to Canada and while I most certainly do not like some of the "welcome to the US searches" we have been subjected to when entering the US, I adhere to your rules, because it is after all your country and your rules, however making friends and seeing some of the wondrous things the good Lord created long before borders existed, is more important to me than not going because I don't like your rules.

It is such a shame that because of his position TLightning will never be able to visit the great state of Alaska with his Montana and will never see the many wonders that make up Canada while making that trip, nor will he ever make friends here that like myself, will not speak unkindly of his country, his countries rules and your way of life.

I hope TLightning might change his opinion, if not then Canada and we proud Canadians will not be shortchanged by his absence.

Tooth ferry: I would only suggest you make yourself aware of any items that you are not allowed to bring into Canada, you can certainly bring rifles and shotguns in which are properly declared, you most certainly cannot bring handguns in and I would suggest you not show up at the Canadian border expecting them to be held for your return, that is "NOT" an option. For anyone entering do not try to bring handguns in undeclared because if you do you will never get them back and will not be allowed to enter the country if you are found to have lied about them. Make yourself aware of the rules as we do when we enter the US and abide by the rules.

If you feel lost without your handgun then sign up for one of our bear wrestling or caribou roping classes, you will find you really don't need one up here...(joke)

mlh
02-11-2016, 02:35 PM
What are the rules on bringing a long gun into Canada especially a shotgun. I have a lot of Canadian friends who come down here several times every year to shoot in BR shooting matches but I never bothered to ask about getting in the US or back in Canada.
Lynwood

Irlpguy
02-11-2016, 07:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by mlh

What are the rules on bringing a long gun into Canada especially a shotgun. I have a lot of Canadian friends who come down here several times every year to shoot in BR shooting matches but I never bothered to ask about getting in the US or back in Canada.
Lynwood


As far back as I can remember Americans have been coming to Canada to hunt, both big game and game birds, they brought their rifles and shotguns with them and they continue to do so. I can not advise you on what you are required to do to not only get them into Canada but equally important get them back into the US. Those answers can be found by contacting the appropriate border services, get the answers from the horses mouth, not from what might be thought to be correct on this forum.

Years ago I received a permit to hunt antelope in Montana, I do not remember what was required but I do remember it was not a big issue in either direction with respect to my rifle. Find out what the requirements are, follow those requirements and you will have no problems.

richfaa
02-12-2016, 05:02 AM
We live less than 20 miles from the Canadian border unfortunately it is in the middle of Lake Erie so it is not easy to drive over that way. We have to travel to New York or Michigan to cross. Detroit is usually a nightmare so we travel up to Sarnia for our crossing.We have been crossing the border for many years ,many, many times. It is not a big deal just know the most recent laws both ways. We have never had a issue going over or coming back .Our Ohio drivers license list the we have a CCP but we have never been asked by the Canadian border folks if we had one on board .We of course do not.

Hunting weapons is again not a big deal know the laws and the procedures. We also carried a high level security clearance while in the employ of the US Government and it never made a difference.

We also made border crossings into Mexico and it can be a bit different due to the social and cultural differences .Drugs have always been a huge issue crossing into Mexico and on any given day one can expect to be "inspected" however we never had a problem.

The Oldguard
02-12-2016, 05:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by mlh

What are the rules on bringing a long gun into Canada especially a shotgun. I have a lot of Canadian friends who come down here several times every year to shoot in BR shooting matches but I never bothered to ask about getting in the US or back in Canada.
Lynwood


This is a good place to start your research (http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/transporting-firearms/#.Vr4CyU_2aP8)

Bigboomer
02-12-2016, 07:54 AM
With planning our trip to Alaska this summer we contacted Canadian Border Services Agency to get the "proper" scoop. Besides asking the agent about food, pets, etc. I asked him about weapons. He of course stated about handguns which we knew about. Regarding long guns (both rifles and shotguns) he said there is no issue just go to the same website the Oldguard just posted, go to the section for non-resident fire arms transportation and print out in triplicate the forms for declaration, fill them out and do sign until you declare at the border to the agent there and pay your $25. The permit is good for 60 days. The agent was very polite and accommodating. We will need to do the same on return from Alaska.

As for any other restricted firearms you can ship them ahead to Alaska and pick them up there. We are using Three Bears Outpost in Tok, AK which also has an outpost in Montana. The process is quite simple and legal.

Here's the bottomline, if you want to do the right thing, it is easy and all you have to do is be respectful. Regardless of whether you are a US or Canadian citizen, know each others countries rules and laws and follow them accordingly. Some laws are more cumbersome than others and they may not make us happy but they are laws.

TLightning
02-13-2016, 01:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

quote:Originally posted by TLightning

As far as I'm concerned, Canada is as bad as Mexico...different reasons, but just as bad. I'm not going to either country.


As a very "PROUD" Canadian I find it difficult to understand the above statement and will control the urge to not respond in the way in which I would like to.

I have traveled pretty much all of the central and western US and have made many friends along the way, I have made myself aware of the rules and regulations I must observe when crossing into the US and returning to Canada and while I most certainly do not like some of the "welcome to the US searches" we have been subjected to when entering the US, I adhere to your rules, because it is after all your country and your rules, however making friends and seeing some of the wondrous things the good Lord created long before borders existed, is more important to me than not going because I don't like your rules.

It is such a shame that because of his position TLightning will never be able to visit the great state of Alaska with his Montana and will never see the many wonders that make up Canada while making that trip, nor will he ever make friends here that like myself, will not speak unkindly of his country, his countries rules and your way of life.

I hope TLightning might change his opinion, if not then Canada and we proud Canadians will not be shortchanged by his absence.

Tooth ferry: I would only suggest you make yourself aware of any items that you are not allowed to bring into Canada, you can certainly bring rifles and shotguns in which are properly declared, you most certainly cannot bring handguns in and I would suggest you not show up at the Canadian border expecting them to be held for your return, that is "NOT" an option. For anyone entering do not try to bring handguns in undeclared because if you do you will never get them back and will not be allowed to enter the country if you are found to have lied about them. Make yourself aware of the rules as we do when we enter the US and abide by the rules.

If you feel lost without your handgun then sign up for one of our bear wrestling or caribou roping cl//asses, you will find you really don't need one up here...(joke)



I have nothing against Canada or Canadians, in fact one of my best friends, a retired surgeon lives in Canada...I taught him how to fly. My point was I do not wish to go any where when the rules and regulations are so strict as to be a PITA...that includes returning to the USA. I don't want to put up with the hassle, either going or coming back. I've been to Canada many times, all pre 9/11 in a vehicle and post 9/11 in an airplane. Canada and Mexico both come under the "BTDT" category for me.

Trailer Trash 2
02-13-2016, 12:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by tooth ferry

Suggestions requested for - what do you do with your weapons if you are are traveling along the U.S. side of the border and want to go into Canada for a few days?

Just don't take your guns, simple enough.

richfaa
02-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Find a gun store that will store them for you on the US side.When we go to Canada for a few days we purge the Rv of anything that might suggest a weapon. It is no big deal. We do the same thing for how much booze you can transport , fruit and veggies, etc.

coachgrowl
10-18-2017, 09:06 PM
To my Canadian friends I love Canada and most of it's citizens. We took a trip to Alaska in 2009. Quite a journey through Canada and of course the border crossings. It seemed to me that there was quite a bit of leeway as to what was asked and what they wanted to know about us. I do not quite understand the fixation on handguns but hey it is their country not ours. I camped 2 nights in a row next to retired RCMP officers and learned the joke about blacks and french men. If you are Canadian I salute you. If not well at least we tried.