PDA

View Full Version : Rookie tire pressure stuff

stiles watson
10-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Was talkin' to th' tire man today. He said that what a lot of folks forget to do is reduce the tire pressure on the tow vehicle's tires when they are not towing. He stated that I should pull the pressure down to 60 psi from the 80 psi that I use with Monty when I am running around between tows (not just over night of course).

I know all you old timers know all about this, so it is a note for us greenhorns.

lightningjack11
10-25-2004, 09:00 AM
Actually I try to load my tires IAW Tire and Rim Association Tables. There is a copy of the tables in the RV Handbook by Estes.

Not the most popular method on the Forum but I will stick with it.

When I am not towing I usually use the doorframe pressures.

NJ Hillbilly
10-25-2004, 09:17 AM
I keep the tires aired all the way up. This way I don't have to worry about adjusting the pressure. It's kinda a pain to change the pressure in duals. It does ride a little firmer but the steering response is better withthe sidewalls stiffer due to the higher pressure.
As for using the charts. That's a very precise way and I feel that if Your trailer weight doesn't change then that's a good way to maximize tire life. I tow 6 different trailers with drastically different weights and I hook up a trailer at the drop of a hat for work so airing the tires up and down (especially in the middle of the night) is not really practical for me.

John

Chester
10-25-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm with John. I leave my pressures up all pulling season. I don't pull in the winter and then I reduce the pressure. This gives a little more grip on snow and ice.

8.1al
10-25-2004, 11:15 AM
If we are going to be in one spot for a week or more I will drop the pressure in the rear tires. I don't mess with the front since the weight up there doesn't change all that much. I drop the rear to 50psi and could actually go lower according to the tire tables.

Broome101
10-25-2004, 01:20 PM
I leave min alone chek them every 5k when I roate the tires and make sure they have 80PSI in them at all times. Looks lijke I am about ready for set before winter comes, I think it might hurt a little when I go to the tire store to purchase them. what do you think?

DrivesBGM
10-25-2004, 01:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightningjack11

... When I am not towing I usually use the doorframe pressures.

Lightningjack11,

Isn't the air pressure posted on the door the pressure required to support the maximum permissible weight of the loaded vehicle?

Craig

lightningjack11
10-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Craig,

I checked the tables and you are correct. My door pressures call for 50 and 75 and that checks with the tables pretty close. I just changed my truck tires to LT 265's so now I have to re-evalute before my next trip.

I run my trailer tires at 60-62. That more than covers my weight on the tires and allows for some g force during bouncing. Tire wear is great. Never a blowout on the trailer.

Hey guys, will be off line for a few weeks. Have family emergency. Not taking Monty.

sreigle
10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Tom, sorry to hear about the family emergency. Please let us know how things are going.

Tire pressures. I normally leave ours aired up for towing (55 front, 75 rear), year 'round.

Montana Sky
10-25-2004, 09:49 PM
When towing I run all four tires at 80psi, when not towing I run them 55psi. As for the coach I run them 80psi all year round. Towing or stored for winter.