PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Owners

t1mrtork
10-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi everybody!
I am going to pick up my new 2005 chevy duramax 4 door 1 ton dually next week! Have any of you had much trouble with the diesel? How has it towed for you folks? I am towing my 3400rl with my 94 6.5 chevy diesel 2500 single wheel right now. I am really anxious to see how much differnt it will tow. Its a big purchase and hope it will be as trouble free as my old truck. Any heads up on problems or any good news would be appreciated. Thanks :)

OntMont
10-22-2004, 04:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by t1mrtork

Hi everybody!
I am going to pick up my new 2005 chevy duramax 4 door 1 ton dually next week! Have any of you had much trouble with the diesel? How has it towed for you folks? I am towing my 3400rl with my 94 6.5 chevy diesel 2500 single wheel right now. I am really anxious to see how much differnt it will tow. Its a big purchase and hope it will be as trouble free as my old truck. Any heads up on problems or any good news would be appreciated. Thanks :)

We have a 2001 2500HD. Not a speck of trouble. Tows like a dream with a 3255RL behind it. Alison transmission is great. Just put in Tow/haul mode and Drive and let her GO!

For myself, I would be looking at the new 3500 SRW, but the 3400 is a big trailer, so the dually may be right for you.

Just put new tires on it today. I wore out my Michelin 245/75 set (which I had carried over from my old truck) and put on a set of Michelin 265/75. This gives me almost another 750 lbs of tire capacity. The 245s were running at, or just over their rating.

All the current trucks seem to be good, but I am confident that you will be happy with your choice.

DHenry
10-22-2004, 05:07 PM
My 2002 has been trouble free, tows like nothing else I have ever had. I would get another if I needed to but I only have 21,000 miles on this one so it should go for awhile longer.

t1mrtork
10-22-2004, 05:56 PM
I was also wondering what kind of milage anybody was getting.

Northstar
10-22-2004, 09:07 PM
t1mrtork congratulations on your new truck. Sounds like you will be having lots of fun with that rig. Keep us posted. Happyrving.......

Montana Sky
10-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Congrats on the new truck... While towing my 3400RL I average 12-14mpg, empty on highway it runs 19-21mpg. City is usually 16-18mpg empty. This is my second Duramax and have not had a bit of trouble with either. You have a great tow vehicle and coach. Enjoy them both.

aljolleyjr
10-23-2004, 05:12 AM
I have a 2004 4x4 CC D/A dually and this is my 3rd. Duramax, haven't had any trouble with any of them. My mileage ain't great. 8.6 to 10.2 towing and 15.5 to 16 solo,but I only have 5800 miles on it. Hopefully it will get better. It dosen't have any trouble towing my 3295 Big Sky. Good luck with yours.

NJ Hillbilly
10-23-2004, 07:24 AM
I have the exact '94 6.5 and use it everyday. My wife drives it to work and we pull a 2 or 4 horse trailer with it. It does a good job towing.

Now the difference between it and the '02 with the D-Max is night and day. You will love the extra power and the way the trans shifts.

Good Luck with it.

John

BillyRay
10-23-2004, 08:58 AM
have an 02 with no problems. love it...only getting 10 - 13 mpg though.

Bill Hill
10-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Congrats on the new truck! We have a '04 2500HD SB Crew Cab 4X4 with the D/A and love it. No trouble whatsoever! Right now we're towing a 30'/7000lb travel trailer and getting about 12-13 mpg towing, 14-15 around town, and about 18-19 on the highway solo.

BH

Glenn and Lorraine
10-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Got the '03 2500HD with the Duramax and 51000+ miles and I love it.
Mileage--20+ without, 12+ with.
Troubles--nothing out of the ordinary.
Wore out the Firestones in just 38,000

I'd buy another but not until this one gets broke in.

t1mrtork
10-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the imput. Sounds like the biggest problem is getting the engine broke in. Guess that means lots of traveling to get some miles on it. :)

Montana_2203
10-25-2004, 06:55 AM
I just bought a 2005, 3400RL and I have an '02 Duramax 2500HD... single wheel.... I have 265 tires and keep them properly inflated... I also got a sliding 5th.wheel, Reece 16K, but frankly, I haven't found that I need to move the 5th. wheel to make tight turns.... I hope I am ok with the single wheel deal since the truck is paid for and I don't want to spend any more extra money on a dullie or a conversion... Sure would like to hear some positive stuff on this setup.... I love the camper and although we only pulled it 70 miles to our home..... our "maiden" voyage is scheduled for Williamsburg, Va. the second week in November.... we can't wait.....
[^][:X]

snowbunny
10-25-2004, 07:08 AM
We have a 2001 Silverado D/A and love it. Have had no problems at all. On the Rally trip we covered 3220 miles (2900 towing our Montana) and averaged 12.5 mpg. We have just over 60k miles on it now.

Karl
10-28-2004, 12:00 PM
I'll reply with a reply I gave on another thread.

We have a GMC 2500 Duramax/Allison also, crewcab short box towing a Monty 3295. I have towed it about 15,000 miles thus far, and have been VERY satisfied.

I use the Tow mode when towing, however, I often will hit the button briefly to go out of tow mode to allow the tranny to shift into 5th just a bit sooner than it would in tow, then I go back to tow mode. I do this especially on two-lane roads where I will be driving at a speed just a bit below the "sweetspot" which seems to be 63 mph/1800 rpm on my unit.

There have been a few times in mountain driving, and more times driving against a severe headwind that I have used the "lockout" of 5th to keep the tranny from doing the seek and shift.

I did ask my dealer about my habit of undoing "tow" to allow the upshift, and he/they did not feel that that would be any problem.

I applaud GM/Chev for arranging the marriage of Duramax/Allison and hope they have many offspring!

sreigle
10-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Speezack, the single rear wheel is fine in my opinion, whatever that's worth. In the past 19 months of fulltiming we've put on 60,000 miles towing our Montana with a single rear wheel 1-ton truck.The 3/4 ton will be just fine. In fact, we just traded for a 3/4 ton last week. If I recall, the 3400 has a relatively light pinweight so you shouldn't have any problem with the truck sagging in the rear.

Montana Sky
10-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Speezack,
I tow the 3400RL with the 2500HD and have not had any trouble yet. Nothing to worry about, just enjoy your trip to VA.

rehorner
10-31-2004, 12:02 AM
Our 2004 GMC 2500HD CC 4X4 w/ D/A has been trouble free so far (17,000 mi.). Getting 18 mpg unloaded; got 13 towing my previous trailer, but it was only 5500 lbs. Just got a 3380RL but have not been on any trips yet.
We love the truck, the diesel is quite unobtrusive, and the Ally is the best tranny. Tow/haul mode is great - it upshifts and downshifts at just the right times.
Good choice and good luck with your new truck!
Pam and Bob

Montana_1683
11-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Dear tlmrtork,

We have a 2001 GMC 2500 crew cab long bed, with duramax & allison tranny. The duramax pulls our 2005 3295RK not much differently than our previous 99 Prowler TT. The only difference is getting up to speed when going from a dead stop when entering the Interstate. I pull in overdrive without using the tow/haul mode. If you are towing, Trailer Life Magazine does not reccommend use the cruise control, this causes the tranny to shift down to 3rd gear rather than shifting out of overdrive into 4th gear. Also by anticipating grades, the tranny rarely kicks out of overdrive, unless the grade is rather long and/or steep. You will notice an increase in fuel mileage by using overdrive.

Gary

Dave e Victoria
11-03-2004, 04:42 AM
We have an 03 Duramax with the HyperTech program. We pull a 3295 Big Sky (well over loaded). The truck has 50,000 miles with ZERO problems. We are getting 11.3 mpg pulling the trailer and about 18 otherwise. I have owned 27 vehicles over the years (European, Japanese, and all three American big brands) and this one is the best of all.

The mid 04 changes to the Duramax made it even better.

t1mrtork
11-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Gary
Do you notice the tranny tempature going up when it is in overdrive?

Bob Pasternak
11-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Terry; We have, as you can see by my profile, a 3/4 ton Dodge with the Cummins in it. It was set up with the tow/camper package. The camper package is heavy duty shocks and sway bars along with oversized tranny cooler and radiator. It also has a larger battery and alternator. I added a PMT power chip, 4" exhaust and Auto Meter gauges. The last trip we took the tranny temp never went over 180 degs in August running up in the northeast. And I run it in overdrive and cruise as much as possible. Take it out of OD in towns for the engine brake. Take the cruise off if I'm approaching a hill that I think might cause it to disengage. With my foot on the throttle, I can just about feel when it is ready to shift and ease off to keep it in the torque (1500RPM) range on my engine. 1800 RPM in OD gives me a little over 65 MPH and since we seldom run interstates, that's fast enough.

NJ Hillbilly
11-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Terry, when T/H is engaged not only do the shift points change but the torque converter locks up in all gears. Once the converter is locked, the trans doesn't really generate much heat. It's the unlocked converter slipping(that's what it does) that generates 90% of the heat in the trans.

My temp stays steady but when there are some shifting going on it does rise. I changed my trans pan to a deeper one that holds about an extra gallon of fluid and I switched to the Allison synthetic trans fluid. The temps aren't much lower but when they rise they cool down faster.

John

t1mrtork
11-04-2004, 09:15 AM
To NJ Hillbilly,
Where did you get the trans fluid? Do you use synthetic engine oil? If you do when did you start using it. I dont want to start to early and not get the rings seated properly. I build racing engines and we use synth oil very early but the ring seat load is very differnt and if there is oil consumption it dosnt matter as the oil is changed weekly at times.
Terry

NJ Hillbilly
11-04-2004, 12:55 PM
The best place to get it and any parts (spin on filters, pan, fluid) is to look for an Allison shop. If You go to their website there is a locator to find an authorized facility. Do not buy filters from the dealer. The trans filter from the dealer is about $16 it's $6 from an Allison dealer. I change mine either every oil change or every other one. Don't forget that there is a magnet on the top of the trans filter. Carefully take it off (it looks like a giant washer) clean and place on new filter. Carefully clean it because it is thin and can break. Fill the filter and install it. I add fluid at about every other filter change to compensate for lost fluid.

I do use synthetic engine oil. I switched to it after the second oil change. I changed the oil and filter at 1000 mi then again at 2500-3000. I put regular oil in in the summer months and run synthetic in the colder months. Look for an auto supply store that deals in AC Delco filters. Get them there stay away from Fram and other aftermarket filters except for Baldwin. The D-Max generates high cold oil pressures and has been known to burst cheap filters.

One other important maintenance item is the rear diff oil. If You have the G80 Eaton Limited slip axle the fluid neds to be changed after about 500 mi of towing or so. The locker uses friction pads like brake pads and during break in the oil gets trashed and dirty. You also use synthetic in the rear. Changing the oil is easy since there is a drain plug in the bottom of the housing, just use a 3/8" ratchet to remove the plug and drain it.

John

t1mrtork
11-04-2004, 02:35 PM
John, are you talking about the first 500 miles on the diff? And then normal changes after that?

NJ Hillbilly
11-05-2004, 05:07 AM
Wait for 500 mi to tow then tow for about 500 mi then change. To be honest, I am a little anal when it comes to break in and other fluids. I changed at 500 mi.(removed the fluid that was beaten up by the ring and pinion breaking in, there is also a lot of junk from the casting of the housing.), then towed some changed again. then after 2500 mi or so ( I easily towed 500 mi.) I changed it again. I try and do it in the Spring every year. $20 of oil is cheap insurance.

John

t1mrtork
11-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks John
Your right most people dont think of the cost of oil that way compared to the cost of working on any of the drivetrain parts.

Montana_1683
11-07-2004, 05:07 AM
tlmrtork;

No the tranny temp guage on the dash never changes. Once again Trailer Life Magazine discussed using the overdrive. They stated it didn't hurt the allison tranny. Only suggested never using cruise control when towing, this causes the tranny to shift out of overdrive and by-pass 4th gear. They did mention that if driving very hilly areas and if the tranny begins searching, should then shift to the tow/haul mode. Never had to do this in driving through the flint hills of Kansas or the hills in the Ozarks.

Gary

t1mrtork
11-07-2004, 02:38 PM
I see that some people say that they dont use the tow/haul mode very often. The allison book says that it locks up the torque converter, wouldnt that make it more fuel effeicent? Seems like people dont use the tow mode that often. Does the truck pull better when not in the tow mode?

t1mrtork
11-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Gimmy2001
Do you find that it pulls better when not in tow mode? Sounds like you dont use it to pull with if you dont have to.

Montana Sky
11-07-2004, 09:23 PM
I use the tow mode when in the mountains or town driving. Out on the open road I turn it off to allow the tranny to shift into 5th gear sooner. If the tranny starts "hunting" for gears I turn it back on and let the computer and engine take over. I have found on the open road having the truck in 5th gear sooner I tend to get a little better mileage. And I do mean a "little" better mileage. The tranny will shift into overdrive while the tow mode is on, but for me I found it does not hit 5th until 65-67mph. Tends to run the RPM's closer to 3,000 than I like.

Montana_1683
11-09-2004, 08:37 AM
TLMRTORK,
When I am towing in overdrive I don't notice any difference than when I used the Tow/haul mode on a trip to South Dakota. Of course at that time I only had a Prowler TT and used cruise control. Since reading the Article in Trailer Life, should have been April - June 2004. Just prior to getting the Montana. Even in overdrive, when slowing down, the duramax & allison act together like some people describe using an after market exhaust brake. As stated before I wouldn't reccommend using cruise control when towing, as mentioned in the T L article. This causes, in my opinion too much of a downshift and reduces fuel mileage. Wow have I noticed a change in cost to fill up lately. Cost over $56 yesterday, of course this will last 3/4 weeks. Not pulling now since Monty is put away for winter. Last time a fill-up was $43. Can't understand why diesel is so much more than gasoline. It costs less to refine than unleaded.

Gary

Montana_1683
11-09-2004, 08:44 AM
tlmrtork,

Forgot to mention that when pulling in overdrive at 65-70 mph the tach runs just above 2000 rpm. Usually gets 12-14 towing, and 18-20 solo. Of course much of the driving around home is rather flat. Do go to Belle Vista, Ark frequently since being a property owner. It is still pretty flat until getting to Joplin, Mo.

Bear Hunter
11-14-2004, 12:36 PM
We have an 02 3500 extended cab dually D/A combo pulling a 3255RL. This is our 4th diesel and by far the best. I did call GM about the tendency for the trans to search when under about 65 mph while in tow/haul and was told it would be best to take it out if I would be driving for a prolong time at speeds causeing the trans to search due to it being programed to shift between 62-65 in tow/haul. We use all AmsOil Products in our trucks past and present. Good Luck and Semper Fi
Roger and Lola Cohoe

t1mrtork
11-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I cant wait for spring to arrive to test out the new truck. Sadly the 5er is winterized now. But next fall we hope to be able to try out the trans as we think we would like to go to colorado. Thanks again, Terry

OntMont
11-14-2004, 02:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bear Hunter

We have an 02 3500 extended cab dually D/A combo pulling a 3255RL. This is our 4th diesel and by far the best. I did call GM about the tendency for the trans to search when under about 65 mph while in tow/haul and was told it would be best to take it out if I would be driving for a prolong time at speeds causeing the trans to search due to it being programed to shift between 62-65 in tow/haul. We use all AmsOil Products in our trucks past and present. Good Luck and Semper Fi
Roger and Lola Cohoe

Our 01 used to do that, but the dealer reprogrammed the computer with an updated version that seems to have eliminated the problem. I'm not sure when GM made the switch, but ours is a late 01, so perhaps the same would apply to your 02. Ask your dealer to check, or just reprogram it to the latest version.

Bill and Ann
11-28-2004, 04:54 AM
I had a problem with our truck on the way to Texas this year. The truck wouldn't go over 48 mph. The dealer down here put the gizzmo on the computer and told me all injectors had to be changed. Apparently this is a problem with the Duramax. Thankfully it is going to be a warranty item. There is a 200,000 mile warranty on the injectors. The injectors are a backorder item so I am waiting to get the work done.

t1mrtork
11-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Sorry to here about your troubles Bill. I hope the 05 injectors have been made better. Good luck on your fix. If the injectors are backordered this must be the Dmax's weak point. At least the injectors seem to be about the only real problem I have heard about.

Montana Sky
11-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Bill,
I had a friend who ran into the same problem as you, they had replaced the injectors with the GM injectors and not even 3,000 miles later he had to have them replace again. This time he got Chevy to use the injectors made by Isuzu for the Duramax, and he claims the motor has never run so strong. I would check into the options offered by General Motors on the injector problem. I just had the high pressure fuel pump replaced on mine as it was leaking into the engine valley. Turned out to be SOP high pressure pump. Was pretty suprised at this happening with only 17,500 miles on the truck and it is not even a year old yet. Good luck on the repair and let us know how it goes.

Bill and Ann
11-29-2004, 02:48 AM
Will keep you posted on the fix. I know the diesel was made by Isuzu
so I would hope they are used as the replacements.

Montana Sky
11-29-2004, 06:18 PM
I have a feeling if you dont tell them you want them, GM will be using the same ones you already have. I am very interested in the solution the dealership uses to fix the problem.

Montana_2203
12-04-2004, 12:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann>>>>all injectors had to be changed. Apparently this is a problem with the Duramax. Thankfully it is going to be a warranty item. There is a 200,000 mile warranty on the injectors.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I was going to post something about this but decided against it... I will now tell you that I called GM after hearing a story from a couple of my friends about bad injectors..... the GM people would not confirm anything about this.... however, my local dealer, from whom I purchased the truck.... did tell me there was a problem with "some" but that it was not across the board so there was no recall however if the problem did surface on the Duramax... it would be fixed at no cost up to the 200,000 miles mentioned.... I am very concerned abou this since I am planning a cross country with my rig sometime in the next year or two.... I have an '02 Duramax with a little over 48,000 miles and a '05 3400RL..... sure wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere waiting for the fix to arrive.... wonder what my chances of getting this fixed before it happens or is that probably not necessary...... (if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....)

Dave e Victoria
12-04-2004, 01:32 PM
I guess I would drive on. The probability of a problem is low and the probability of a stranding problem is even lower. Injectors don't fail as a group. If one fails there are 7 more to get you to service even if a bit slower.

chopstyx57
12-07-2004, 07:01 AM
We have a 2004 GMC 2500HD and pull a 3400rl...it tows like a dream...I do suggest getting the "Edge" chip. It pulls without coming out of overdrive now. Getting 14 to 16mpg towing and 23 to 25mpg empty. An increase of about 4 to 5mpg with the chip.

We love our truck and have not had any probs whatsoever in 22000 miles. 18000 of that towing.

enjoy!!

Montana_2203
12-07-2004, 08:21 AM
[quote]quote:Originally posted by chopstyx57

>>>"Edge" chip. It pulls without coming out of overdrive now. Getting 14 to 16mpg towing and 23 to 25mpg empty. An increase of about 4 to 5mpg with the chip.

t1mrtork
12-07-2004, 02:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by chopstyx57

We have a 2004 GMC 2500HD and pull a 3400rl...it tows like a dream...I do suggest getting the "Edge" chip. It pulls without coming out of overdrive now. Getting 14 to 16mpg towing and 23 to 25mpg empty. An increase of about 4 to 5mpg with the chip.

We love our truck and have not had any probs whatsoever in 22000 miles. 18000 of that towing.

enjoy!!

John, thanks for the info. Can the Edge chip be readily removed in case you have to go back to the dealer and not void the warranty? Do you have different power levels or just a level power increase all the time? Thanks, Terry

Bill Hill
12-07-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm really cautious about the idea of putting in a chip or reprogramming on my '04 Duramax. We met a gentleman at a Good Sam outing who works for Daimler/Chrysler as the person who deals with dealers and warranty repair, he's a master mechanic. He says that all the manufacturers can tell if you have changed the programming, even if you change it back before taking it for service. I'd hate to void a 100K mile warranty. Any other thoughts?

Dave e Victoria
12-07-2004, 05:33 PM
All of these after market guys quote a legal provision that says they are not responsible unless they caused the problem or the manufacturer specifically reserves the warranty in the case of add ons. Well "duh". I think there is some risk with all of theis stuff not unlike putting a trailer hitch on your Montana to haul a bike rack. If you are cautious, you won't do it. If you are more adventurous, you might. The question is risk vs reward. At this point, I have both the hitch and the aftermarket program, thank you. Love 'em both -- no problem.

Montana Sky
12-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Bill and Shari,
I have the same truck as you and trust me, you wont need to do anything to this truck but drive it. I am towing the 3400RL and have not had one bit of trouble towing this coach yet. Have been up and down more grades that I care to think about up here in the Pacific Northwest. Congrats on your new 2980RL coming soon. Hope you have many happy miles with both your truck and coach to come.

Bill Hill
12-08-2004, 02:57 AM
Montana Sky,
Thanks Much! I'm sitting on pins & needles now. Our rig was supposed to have been delivered last week, but got held up by bad weather. I got a call from the trucking company yesterday that the rig was delivered to the dealer yesterday afternoon. Of course, I haven't heard from the dealer yet. We're scheduled to take delivery at 2:00pm Saturday, then a trip to Camping World on Sunday. Looks like Christmas is coming early!

rames14
12-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Good luck. So many toys and so little money. Reminds me of the old boat adage - a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. Every time I go in an RV store, electronics store or sporting goods store my eyes glaze over. Enjoy your new trailer. By the way, we love the 2004 Max and Ally - really like the way they work together.

sreigle
12-08-2004, 05:37 PM
How exciting, Bill and Shari! Be sure to let us know all about it when you get it.

Montana Sky
12-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Bill and Shari,
Again, glad to hear your coach has arrived, best of luck on your walk-thru and trip to camping world. Nothing like having a new coach for the holidays, my christmas came back in April when my 3400RL arrived and has been going ever since. I have to stay away from the dealership and all other rv stores as well or I just keep finding that have to have item I cant do without. Hope to see you on the highways this coming summer. Enjoy!

Bill Hill
12-09-2004, 03:13 AM
Hey Guys,
We get our first peek Friday afternoon when we go to drop of the pin box plate for our SuperGlide hitch so they can mount it before we pick up the trailer. Shari will probably have to drag me away from it, but we have to stop by (or buy!) the credit union to pick up the check to pay for it. Do you think the dealer would let us spend the night in it?

Also, I put a post in the MOC regional clubs section a little while back. We'd love to host an outing in the Southern California area next year if anybody is interested. There are a number of nice parks in the area to choose from. We'd really like to meet other Montana owners and share experiences, tips, etc. in person. We'll pick a time and place based on any responses we get.

Bill and Ann
12-10-2004, 02:47 AM
Update on replaced injectors: The dealer here in Texas replaced the injectors with GM injectors so I guess we will have to wait and see how they perform. The 9 hrs job took 3 days here in Texas but that didn't surprise us as everything seems to move slower down here. (except the traffic). The dealership gave us a rental as it was a warranty item. Thank goodness for that as I saw the bill going to GM. A $2700. fix.
I was surprised to read that installing a "chip" gives about 5 mpg more. I am already getting 14+ pulling our unit and 25 unhooked. I am not complaining and sure not going to touch anything that might do something different. I am also a firm believer of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

aljolleyjr
12-10-2004, 04:00 AM
I'm interested to know what kind of chip gives you 5 mpg more, because I only get 10mpg towing at best.

chopstyx57
12-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late post, I have been out of town and not next to my laptop....as for the Edge chip, in my case, I purchased and had my chip installed by my GMC dealer, so in my case anyway, I am not concerened with any warranty issues.

In a couple of posts back someone ask about price...I believe my dealer charged about 800.00 for the chip and gauge. The even let me run it for a couple of weeks without installing gauge to make sure I wanted it before the did the gauge. I believe when they did the gauge it was around 300.00 to install...the temp gauge sensor probably is not real pleasant to install. With the increase in my mileage, and all the towing we have done since, it is close to have paid for itself.

hope this helps answer any questions...

Happy Holidays to all!! We are headed to AZ for Christmas Yahoo!
PS: left the monte there so it is waiting for us!

Glenn and Lorraine
12-10-2004, 12:42 PM
quote:With the increase in my mileage, and all the towing we have done since, it is close to have paid for itself.

When I threw the above figures at Lorraine, the accountant, she immediately got out her calculator.
Basing the cost of fuel at just $2.00 a gallon
Our unloaded MPG without the chip is 20mpg or a fuel cost of $.10 per gallon
Unloaded MPG with the chip installed should increase mpg by 5 or 25mpg or a fuel cost of $.08 per gallon
In order for that $800.00 chip to pay for itself I will have to drive at least 40,000 miles and that just paid for the chip.

My only other question is the $300.00 gauge install included in the $800.00 or does she have to do some recalculatin?

My 2500HD already has 55,000 miles and I question whether or not another $800.00 investment is worth the money.

t1mrtork
12-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Lorraine! You take all the fun out of us guys trying to justify having to have more power! Gosh, I look at it this way, a if a chip gives me more power AND better gas milage, the milage is a plus! LOL! By the way, thanks for the post on the extinguishers, and your christmas card is really nice. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY

Bill and Ann
12-11-2004, 03:57 AM
I can't believe the chip would get me an extra 5 mpg as I said before I am already getting 14+ and 24. I am with you Glen....Is it worth it?

Karl
12-11-2004, 05:17 AM
Hey! We are guys! Of course its worth it ... ...just having another new toy makes it all worthwhile!

VROOOOOMMM.......VROOOOMMMMMMMMM!

t1mrtork
12-11-2004, 12:45 PM
HERE HERE Karl! I'm with you. Of course I am bias about the subject as my buisness is making exspensive toys for you older boys! Remember, there is no substitute for cubic inches! Except for chips and bigger turbos, and bigger exhaust, and propane for the diesels and, well you get the picture.

chopstyx57
12-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Don't get me wrong, my 2500HD pulled the Monte just fine before I installed the chip. The chip just made the towing experience even more enjoyable. It does not pull down or even come out of overdrive on hills anymore and passing on a two lane is not nearly as uncomfortable. The increase in fuel mileage was just a bonus for me.....the increased performance is worth every dime I paid for it! The gauge is also very nice. I admit, I was just in it for the power, but I figured, what the heck I deserve it. Why they don't just give us this increase from the factory is a mystery. My advice.....Splurge and spring for the chip, you won't be sorry.

Happy Holidays!

Montana_2203
12-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Ok.... I think I will not get the chip just yet, however...
Now to another question concerning the dual wheels vs. single.... I have a single wheel '02, 2500HD duramax, my unit a 3400RL.... I have 265 tires and keep at least 65psi inflated.... question: other than the safety/handling thing... and much better control stopping if you have a blowout... etc..... is there any other reason to have dual wheels?... the weight is really not an issue and in fact adding 2 more tires actually reduces the overall weight capacity cause it increases the total unit weight... anyway, just wondering if anyone is perfectly happy with the single tire settup.....

Karl
12-12-2004, 02:28 PM
I am fully happy with the single rear wheel setup, but have nothing against the duals. Personally I do not like the "look" of the dually's, but that is definitely a personal opinion. If I were pulling a livestock trailer though, I would want the dually. My feeling is.... that as long as your trailer brakes are working well, there is sufficient stopping power even in a panic stop. By the way, I keep my tires at the max (80 or 85 lb) when pulling.

Montana_2203
12-12-2004, 02:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Karl

I am fully happy with the single rear wheel setup

... thanks Karl.... I needed that!!!! I will not concern myself with wanting either a "chip" or a "dually"!!

sreigle
12-12-2004, 04:21 PM
This is a Duramax thread so I'm not sure if you're interested in SRW owners in general or just the GM variety. If the former, then I'll add that I'm perfectly satisified towing 13,980 lbs of Montana with a single rear wheel setup. While fulltiming we've towed approximately 40,000 miles with SRW.

Glenn and Lorraine
12-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Couldn't agree more Steve. I am very happy with my SRW. Doubtful I would ever have a daulie.

Bill and Ann
12-13-2004, 03:29 AM
I put 265's on our truck also. I find that keeping the air at 80 PSI makes the truck ride better ever when not pulling the unit.

sreigle
12-13-2004, 09:39 AM
I agree with Bill and Ann about the 265's. Our F350 had that size and the F250 also comes with that size tire but in 17 inch.

Montana Sky
12-13-2004, 01:20 PM
I run my tires at 80psi on the coach and truck when towing, and when not towing I run the truck 55psi. The ride does well for me, and as for the dually question, I agree that the dually sure does look cool, after towing my 3400RL I dont see the need for it. I have the shortbed and the single rear wheel and no problems yet. =)