PDA

View Full Version : Tires Overwhelm Me


Skyecaitlin88
07-28-2015, 03:36 PM
We launch fulltime November 1st and before then I want to get decent tires on our 350QBQ but I am feeling very overwhelmed because I know nothing about tires.

The tires it came with say "ST 235/80R16 124/120L" and from the research I've done, these are big no nos for fulltime travel. Camper is 12,900 dry and will never be more than 16,000 packed.

When shopping around for tires, what should I ask? What should I look for?

jcurtis934
07-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Look on the backside of a rim (wheel) and it will have specs stampec into the metal. It should say 3710 or 3720 lbs and 110 psi. So if this is true, then you can upgrade to goodyear g614's or go with the sailun tires which are used by heartland rvs and a couple of moc members on the same rims. Both of these choices are load range g tires. I and many others had far too many blowouts on our factory equipped load range e marathon tires. The other thing you need to know is st tires are speed rated to 65mph only and higher speeds will degrade the tires. John

bigskyjimmy
07-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Simple answer is you want 14 ply G rated LT tires (if like was said your rims can handle them),go to the search Forum and type in Tires ,You will not live long enough to have the time to read all the posts of what brand etc...:)

sambam
07-28-2015, 04:12 PM
A G rated tire is advisable for the weight you're talking about. The E-rated ST tires have a long history of failure in that weight range. The letter simply indicates how much load a tire can safely carry. My G614's are rated for 3750 pounds each, which means 7500 lbs. per axle. The E rated ST's are around 3400 lbs. IIRC. You need to be sure your rims are capable of the higher PSI that a G rated tire requires as well. It should be stamped on the back of the rim. Since your Montana is new, chances are they are rated for the increased pressure. You'll get plenty of feedback I suspect. This is a popular topic on the forum and for good reason. Hats off to you for inquiring and being pro-active on this subject. Happy travels!

Skyecaitlin88
07-28-2015, 04:20 PM
It scared the BeJesus out of me that they are aloud to sell campers with tires that arent good enough for the weight they are capable of towing!!!!! Do I need to take off the tire to see that number?

DQDick
07-28-2015, 04:22 PM
G614's for us. Pricy but one of the most, if not the most, important items on the rig.

Skyecaitlin88
07-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Alright soooo... Tires are ST Radial Trailer Kings. Load Range E 10PR. Max load dual-3080, singal-3530. Max pressure is 80PSI.

bigskyjimmy
07-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Also you can offset the cost of the new tires by selling the Trailer Kings on Craigslist etc..,Farmers and people with lighter trailers are good to go with them

sambam
07-28-2015, 06:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Skyecaitlin88
Do I need to take off the tire to see that number?


No, it is stamped on the back of the rim. You will have to crawl under the trailer, however.
Your Trailer Kings definitely have to go.

WeBeFulltime
07-29-2015, 01:56 AM
I currently run LT Michelin and plan to upgrade to Sailuns next year when the Michelins "time out". Remember that not all of your Montys weight is on the tires/axles. The rest is on the pin/truck.

1retired06
07-29-2015, 02:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by Skyecaitlin88

Alright soooo... Tires are ST Radial Trailer Kings. Load Range E 10PR. Max load dual-3080, singal-3530. Max pressure is 80PSI.


Get rid of them as soon as feasible.

markmontana
07-29-2015, 03:00 AM
Mine are also 80 psi wheels- what are some of the options for 110 psi wheels? Need low cost so I can afford to do the switch

DQDick
07-29-2015, 04:19 AM
[quote]Originally posted by DQDick

I would be very concerned about going low cost, wheels are very important. Many here have gone to Tredit Tire the people Keystone buys wheels from and gotten help there: http://www.tredittire.com/wheels

markmontana
07-30-2015, 02:54 AM
quote:

Mark, Have you weighed your rig to see if you really need to move to G rated tires?

If your loaded axle weights are in the 11-12,000 lb range a good LT tire would work for you. I am totally happy with my Duravis R250 tires.



Have not weighed it. The GWVR is 14500 and my wife likes to take everything in bulk! I want the peace of mind of one less catastrophic event looming around the corner.

I like the look of the alloy wheels we have now, but willing to change to 110 psi. I believe any wheel rated for 110 psi will be well built, but figure I will have to go more generic looking steel wheel to keep the cost down. Treddit is a good place to start, thanks

rames14
07-30-2015, 03:52 AM
This same post started on the Facebook Montana page. The answers are the same. The two most recommended options are the Sailun and Goodyear G614. The Sailuns have not been around as long, but have gotten good reviews here. They are less expensive. We have Goodyear G614's, which are a Montana option. If you have a lighter weight trailer, there are some LT tires that have been used, but none carry 3500 lbs, and all Montana's come with 7,000 lb axles. So, your tires would become the weak link. Newer Montana's come with 110 psi wheels. And, as to the answer (once again), Montana has cheaper tires on because many people will not pay for the more expensive tire. Despite the fact that the G614 is offered as an option, look at the number of people here on the forum who purchased with the stock tire. Either you ordered it that way or your dealer ordered it that way. And dealers know their market. And, despite all of the discussion, there are still many out there not running TPMS. Can't afford TPMS and good tires? Can you afford the damage from a blowout? Do you check tire pressure on all four wheels before you head out in the morning? Some of us need to look in the mirror. Sorry for being blunt, but when the same question is asked on multiple forums by the same people, either they are looking for a different answer or they are trying to talk themselves into a different solution.

Skyecaitlin88
07-30-2015, 09:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by rames14

This same post started on the Facebook Montana page. The answers are the same. The two most recommended options are the Sailun and Goodyear G614. The Sailuns have not been around as long, but have gotten good reviews here. They are less expensive. We have Goodyear G614's, which are a Montana option. If you have a lighter weight trailer, there are some LT tires that have been used, but none carry 3500 lbs, and all Montana's come with 7,000 lb axles. So, your tires would become the weak link. Newer Montana's come with 110 psi wheels. And, as to the answer (once again), Montana has cheaper tires on because many people will not pay for the more expensive tire. Despite the fact that the G614 is offered as an option, look at the number of people here on the forum who purchased with the stock tire. Either you ordered it that way or your dealer ordered it that way. And dealers know their market. And, despite all of the discussion, there are still many out there not running TPMS. Can't afford TPMS and good tires? Can you afford the damage from a blowout? Do you check tire pressure on all four wheels before you head out in the morning? Some of us need to look in the mirror. Sorry for being blunt, but when the same question is asked on multiple forums by the same people, either they are looking for a different answer or they are trying to talk themselves into a different solution.

No need to be a jerk dear.

jlb27537
07-30-2015, 10:11 AM
quote:
No need to be a jerk dear.


He is not a jerk DEAR.....He is just telling you what is all over the internet. As a "professional blogger" it should be easy for you to find what info you need.

No need to ask the same question on several forums, the answer does not change. Go buy some G range tires.

Jim

jcurtis934
07-30-2015, 11:02 AM
If you don't like the sailun or goodyear g614 options, you can buy new wheels in the 17.5 inch size and utilize several brands of commercial trailer tires. Some of us have done that as they are the same overall diameter as what you now have on the rv. Yes, you will spend about $3000 for five, but as has been mentioned if you are unlucky on a blowout, the damage can be quite high. For me, my life and others on the road were worth the expense. You could also be extremely lucky and have no damage to the rig with a blowout. Just remember, st tires are max rated for 65mph and exceeding that does internal damage to the tires and they are made in china, which doesn't have a proven track record of quality in tire manufacturing at this point. Hope this helps you...only trying to steer you guys in the safe direction. John

Hooker
07-30-2015, 12:31 PM
The OP is concerned about RV tires, yet he has a 3/4 truck for a 16k 5th wheel. RV tires might be the least of many problems.

1retired06
07-30-2015, 12:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

The OP is concerned about RV tires, yet he has a 3/4 truck for a 16k 5th wheel. RV tires might be the least of many problems.


Good point

Rain Ducker
07-30-2015, 03:01 PM
This topic is now closed and locked.

We encourage civil discussions. We encourage treatment of members that is courteous.

Thank you all for your participation.