PDA

View Full Version : GMC Owners

Sue
10-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Looking for advise. I drove my husbands truck tonite, its the GMC below my signature. I don't know how to describe it, but there is like a rattle in the steering wheel when it drives over bumps. Has anyone ever experienced this? It kinda like rattles almost a shake kinda thing. (just slightly) Also, I haven't driven his in a while and it doesn't seem to stear around corners as easily as mine, maybe some power steering issues.

Any adivse would be appreciated. I will deffinatley push for a dealership run, but wondered if anyone here had any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

CountryGuy
10-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Sue, this is a known problem,

Intermediate Steering Shaft.

There is a brand new one out that is supposed to stop this problem.

Call your dealer. The "temporary" fix was to lube the shaft. The replacement shaft is rather new. Note, it is a "redesigned" shaft.

This problem has been ongoing since about 1999.

Al had the replacement shaft put on last week and he is very happy with the results to date.

Carol

NJ Hillbilly
10-19-2004, 04:05 PM
The steering "rattle" is a documented problem. The first thing that the dealer will di is lube the slip shaft. This does help many but not all. It didn't help mine but the rattle went away on it's own. I have about 50,000 mi on and the noise has been gone for a long time now.

John

DrivesBGM
10-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Wow, thanks for the post. I had experienced this a few times and thought that I was imagining things. I'll pay closer attention now that I know that the Chevy Service Dept should not look at me as if I have three eyes when I tell them that I have this problem!

Craig

Glenn and Lorraine
10-20-2004, 07:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Sue, this is a known problem,

Intermediate Steering Shaft.

There is a brand new one out that is supposed to stop this problem.

Call your dealer. The "temporary" fix was to lube the shaft. The replacement shaft is rather new. Note, it is a "redesigned" shaft.

This problem has been ongoing since about 1999.

Al had the replacement shaft put on last week and he is very happy with the results to date.

Carol

If this is an on going problem is GM charging anything for the replacement? If they do charge what did the "redisgned" shaft cost?

BillyRay
10-21-2004, 03:08 AM
I have a chevy, but the same thing. I noticed it mainly on slow turns...took it to dealer and they fixed it. I have several friends with the same problem.

tweir
10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Yup---its a problem....! When I first took it back to the dealer they put in a "steering shaft kit"---are you ready for this: grease. I was told that the real fix is the super-dooper redesigned shaft. Seeing how my truck went off warranty about 3k ago; I hope I don't get it----the shaft that is...!

Bob Pasternak
10-21-2004, 11:06 AM
GMC: Get More Cash!!!:D My son was a 'Ford Freak' and a mechanic. A little sign on his tool box read: "Ashes to ashes; Dust to dust: Were it not for GM's, my tools would rust!!!"[:o)]

OntMont
10-21-2004, 11:17 AM
I have not noticed this problem, but I do have an extended warranty, wonder if I should ask them about it?

Dave e Victoria
10-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Bob Pasternak, Not trying to start anything but, you might tell your son FORD is an acronym for "Found On Road Dead." I heard that years ago when I was a student at General Motors Institute. One of the refrains in our school anthem was "To hell with ford and Crysler products. God bless GMI." GMI is now renamed Kettering University and they accept students from bot Ford and Crysler. I expect they have changed the lyrics as well.
Sorry about that. I'm an old codger that remenices a lot..

CountryGuy
10-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Glenn,

Our GMC is still under warranty, all work, including the lube fix (done before the Rally) and the new installed replacement shaft (done after the Rally) were done for FREE!!

Tweir, If I had a truck out of warranty, but had that lube fix done before the warranty was up, I would go back to the dealer and ask about the replacement shaft. You are on record as having a problem.

Britney 10
10-21-2004, 04:23 PM
WOW!!!! Our GMC 2500 HD Durmax 4/4 Sierra is just almost a year old and we have a little over 20,000 miles on it and have not heard anything with the steering yet... Does this happen to all of them.... Another thing that I have been wondering about is the fuel mpg it has been 15.7 for months and I am wondering if something is wrong..????

HomeOnTheRoad
10-21-2004, 04:36 PM
The brand comments are probably just in jest. But not everyone will take it that way. So let's be very careful not to let this digress into a brand war. Thank you for your understanding.

Montana Sky
10-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Britney 10,
I am assuming that you are talking 15.7 towing. I seem to average 19-21mpg on the highway empty, city is 16-18mpg, usually around 12-14mpg towing my 3400RL and 16-18 towing the boat. Over the past few weeks I did notice that I am not getting the usual mileage and called a friend who works at my dealership since I just had my fuel filter changed, thought it could have something to do with it. He said at least around here the switch to diesel 2 in the winter with the "anit-gel" already mixed in. This fuel causes a decrease in mileage, also running colder in the winter decreases mileage as well. Just thought I might pass that along.

tweir
10-22-2004, 02:13 AM
I planned on it. Funny thing (not) when I drove it over to the dealership last Saturday because my low oil light came on (they just changed the oil on Wednesday & shorted me 1 1/2 quarts of oil---Technicians----yeah, right) I told the 'service advisor' about the steering shaft noise. When he brought it back from the 'technician' he said there was more wrong with the truck than just the steering shaft---"its something in the suspension" (again, "technician lingo" for 'I don't have a clue'). I replied and told the 'service advisor' that last time they "fixed it" with the same symptoms, the 'shaft kit' (grease) was applied and they found both front "Heavy Duty" shocks bad---one actually had a melted boot. They fixed both under warranty; so the 'service advisor' knew where I was going with this one....! Its going in next week for the fixes; and yes you are correct, its documented and the Dealership "fixed" the stuff, not I.

Sue
10-22-2004, 05:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Britney 10,
He said at least around here the switch to diesel 2 in the winter with the "anit-gel" already mixed in. This fuel causes a decrease in mileage, also running colder in the winter decreases mileage as well. Just thought I might pass that along.

Explain Please!!! What is diesel 2 and when do we use it???

Britney 10
10-22-2004, 06:25 AM
Montana Sky,
This is not towing we have not even hooked the Montana to this truck as of yet. At one point it did go to 15.8 mpg and then it went back to the 15.7 and has stayed there for the past 6 months.

quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Britney 10,
I am assuming that you are talking 15.7 towing. I seem to average 19-21mpg on the highway empty, city is 16-18mpg, usually around 12-14mpg towing my 3400RL and 16-18 towing the boat. Over the past few weeks I did notice that I am not getting the usual mileage and called a friend who works at my dealership since I just had my fuel filter changed, thought it could have something to do with it. He said at least around here the switch to diesel 2 in the winter with the "anit-gel" already mixed in. This fuel causes a decrease in mileage, also running colder in the winter decreases mileage as well. Just thought I might pass that along.

NJ Hillbilly
10-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Sue, many areas blend the diesel fuel with kerosene to thin it a little and improve it's cold weather characteristics. If Your area requires it then the fuel will be "winter blend" for the appropriate time of year.

The one thing to be careful is bringing fuel up north during the cold months. Florida (for example) does not need blended fuel. Over the road trucks carrying hundreds of gallons of fuel must be aware when travelling North and they use additives in the tanks to avoid gelling. If You run an auxiliary fuel tank it could be a problem unless the fuel is treated.

Gelling is when wax crystals form in the fuel due to the cold temperatures. These wax crystals slow the flow of fuel and clog filters. The newer trucks have heaters in the filters to warm the fuel and melt these wax crystals. I know the GMC does and I believe Ford and Dodge have also added them in recent years.

It is always a good idea to use an additive in the winter months in cold climates to reomve any condensation from fuel systems along with improving the lubricity and cetane of the winter fuels.

John

Sue
10-22-2004, 08:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly
The newer trucks have heaters in the filters to warm the fuel and melt these wax crystals. I know the GMC does and I believe Ford and Dodge have also added them in recent years.
John

Is this the same thing as plugging the truck in with an electrical cord? I know my husband will do that when it gets really cold.

If not the same, then is there an additive I can buy to put in the gas? And at what temperature should I start??

P.S. I should get my husband to post on here, would probably mean you guys wouldn't have to help me out so much. Thanks for all your help!

Bob Pasternak
10-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Number 2 diesel is a summer blend. Number 1 is winter. Anymore most fuels are winter blended in the north.(Northwest Indiana) I haven't seen separate pumps for one and two for a few years now. I go to a truck stop and get a "diesel fuel conditioner" and put it in then run the truck 'til it's circulated. We'll probably not put many miles on ours 'til Jan. when we go to Florida. Until then I'll run the truck long enough to get it up to operating temperature about every week and a half. Diesel fuel will stagnate so a conditioner is essential.

NJ Hillbilly
10-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Sue, the plug is for the engine block heater. It warms the coolant and makes for "happier" starting. Oil circulates sooner when things are warm and less start-up wear occurs this way.

As for fuel conditioner, I use the Power Service with cetane booster. It's relatively inexpensive and available at Wal-Mart and most parts stores.

On thing to remember is to use an additive when storing and to only park it (storage) with a full tank. This leaves a smaller air space in the top of the tank and less condensation.

John

Sue
10-22-2004, 10:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly
As for fuel conditioner, I use the Power Service with cetane booster. It's relatively inexpensive and available at Wal-Mart and most parts stores.
John

You run it all the time with the fuel conditioner or only when the weather is cooler???

sreigle
10-22-2004, 11:34 AM
I've only been a diesel jockey for a year and a half, including one winter with a couple of weeks with highs in the teens but nothing below zero. I was told dealers around here don't stock winter diesel unless the temperatures are to be below zero for more than a few hours. So I quit worrying about it.

I'm wondering if I should resume worrying about it? At what temperature?

I've never used additives. Does it sound to you all like I should? At what temperatures? Etc.

Thanks. Lots to learn here.

Glenn and Lorraine
10-22-2004, 11:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by Britney 10

Montana Sky,
This is not towing we have not even hooked the Montana to this truck as of yet. At one point it did go to 15.8 mpg and then it went back to the 15.7 and has stayed there for the past 6 months.

Britney 10, It has nothing to do with how old your truck is but rather how many miles you have on it. The more miles the more it gets broke in. In an earlier post you said you have just over 20,000 miles on it. My truck started showing better fuel mileage at around 30,000 and has improved as I rack up more miles. At this time I have 51,000+ miles but I haven't check it since I hit 40,000. At that time it was just over 20 mpg without and 12+ with the 5er. I guess I am due to check it again. I'd be very interested to see where this higher fuel mileage levels off. Just when is a Duramax finally broke in or is it ever totally broke in???

NJ Hillbilly
10-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Sue, I do add it from time to time in the spring, summer, and fall and try to add at every tank during the winter.

Steve, it really all depends on the ambient temps that that You are in. If the local stations don't stock the winter fuel it's not a problem. If You fill up in So Carolina and drive to New York State, You would want tomake sure You put in an additive. Otherwise don't sweat it. I would just add a dose for the injection cleaner and the biocide properties to avoid algea in the warmer climates. It's always something.

John

Glenn and Lorraine
10-22-2004, 01:07 PM
I've never done it but in northern NY when the temps go to +10 or below they add kerosene to the tank to control the geling. I believe they run 30% kero, 70% diesel. Even those with outside heating oil tanks add kerosene for the same purpose.

Montana Sky
10-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Bob

Montana Sky
10-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Sorry new laptop with different keys.
Bob,
Thank you for clearing up what I had said on diesel 1 and diesel 2. You are correct, diesel 2 is the year round fuel and used mainly in the lower warmer climates. Diesel 1 is used for the colder climates. Up here in the Pacific Northwest we have the option at the pumps as to which fuel we can use. I am sorry for the confusion. Back to the mileage per gallon part, you will get lower mpg by using diesel 1. Britney 10, the only thing I would recommend is try using another fueling station. You want to make sure you are using a station that moves volume on diesel. You dont want the stuff that has been sitting in the tanks all summer. If you still dont get any better mpg I would be calling your dealership for a check up. Keep us posted.