PDA

View Full Version : TPMS settings question (TST 507):

Mark N.
04-18-2015, 06:29 PM
What parameters do you set for the high & low pressure settings? I run the Goodyear G614s on my trailer.
I actually don't even really understand the high pressure setting. If you set a tire at the correct pressure, it's not going to climb into the danger zone. Ever. Not based on my driving experience anyway. They certainly do climb, depending on temps., but never into the danger zone. So, I guess for the high pressure setting I'll just move it up far enough to avoid any alarms on a hot day on hot pavement.
My big question is how low you are setting the low-pressure setting so as to avoid alarms happening on a cool morning.

DonPd
04-19-2015, 03:04 AM
I have a TPM and it has the following guidelines. Set the high pressure to 25% of your baseline pressure. This is because as you travel the tire heats and the pressure will rise, pressure increases 2% for every 10 degrees of temperature increase. Set the low pressure to 15% of your baseline pressure. So for example, if your baseline is set to 100 psi, it will trigger at 85 psi.

DQDick
04-19-2015, 04:46 AM
I did the same, just followed the TST recommendations.

tomJerram
05-08-2021, 06:19 PM
OK I understand the high and low pressure settings I just got a Lippert link system that also monitored temperature so what TEMPERATURE should I set

rames14
05-08-2021, 10:16 PM
Another thing I do is read temp in Celsius and pressure in psi. If you are running 110 psi and the temp is 100, it’s easy to get things confused. It makes it real easy to keep pressure and temp clear.

tomJerram
05-08-2021, 11:01 PM
what temperature do you set the alarm to?

rohrmann
05-08-2021, 11:01 PM
For the TST system, and it really doesn’t matter for any of them, the default temp setting is 158 degrees. This is based on studies by Michelin that determined that number to be where the tire begins to fail. I just listened to an interview of Roger Marble, a retired tire engineer who when asked about temperature settings for TPMS systems, said it is worthless because the places in the tires where heat matters can’t be measured by these sensors attached to valve stems. So, I just leave the 158 degree setting alone and just watch the pressures. I set the low pressure to 100 psi because below that the weight capacity begins to be lower than I want, and the high pressure I set so I don’t get nuisance alarms, maybe 150 psi.

tomJerram
05-09-2021, 06:17 AM
Thanks,. That makes a lot of sense.

JandC
05-09-2021, 06:28 AM
I bumped my temperature down to 150 on my TST system.

rames14
05-09-2021, 07:52 AM
I set my temp at 50 C. As I mentioned earlier, I use psi and Celsius for settings so they are clearly different and as I glance at the readings my mind can quickly (at least as quickly as my mind works - is there any coffee left?) differentiate between temp and pressure. On temp, you are looking for change, not a specific reading like pressure. I notice my temp varies mostly by side of vehicle and usually follows the side of the rig with sunshine or road crown. If one tire temp starts to rise significantly I know there is a problem.