PDA

View Full Version : Yet another tire post! Lol

Artemus Gordon
03-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Our friends from the MOC Forum just stopped by Redding in their 2014 3750. Met them in June at an RV Park in Red Bluff. Have become good friends and we have met up with them twice. As we sat by their RV last Thursday night, I discussed the "E rated tires" on the Montana! Mike said "soon as we get back home in Southern Ca, I will change them out". Just got off the phone with them south of Sacramento. The tire looked like it exploded! I heard you guys talk about it. Never see a photo of one. Wow, that's incredible! No RV damage thank God! Adding insult to injury, the lug wrench was never hung on the wall next to the spare tire lowering wrench! No lug wrench! Was missed during PDI. Plus their tire wrench for the truck was not compatible with RV lugs. Last they found out the "Roadside Service" was not covered for RV. Thank goodness another traveler stopped and assisted them. I guess it just goes to show the details, new RV owners need to know when buying. They are on their way again! New tires and roadside coverage is in the list! Oh btw, they called their dealer and were told, RVs don't come with lug wrenches!

bncinwv
03-21-2015, 02:31 PM
I have never had a lug wrench come with any of our rigs. Standard equipment added is torque wrench and sockets! Good that there was no trailer damage, bad that they had to fins out the hard way about tire selection.
Bingo

tweber502
03-21-2015, 02:47 PM
I have never bought a camper that had a lug wrench either. I carry an 18" breaker bar with socket to remove the lugs and a torque wrench for retightening them. I don't use the torque wrench to loosen the lugs. Tim

sambam
03-21-2015, 03:16 PM
I didn't get a lug wrench either. I think the socket I use on my truck fits the Montana. Anyhoo, I have a breaker bar, extension, sockets and a torque wrench on board. Along with bottle jacks (6, 12), for those moments. Sorry your friend had to suffer a blowout, but glad he didn't have damage. Now he can move on to G rated tires and spread the good word.

Irlpguy
03-21-2015, 03:24 PM
None of my trailers, neither of my 5ers have come with a lug wrench. If it was missed during PDI it was because it is not a part of the RV.
That is why we carry a tool box with deep sockets to accommodate the recessed lug nuts on some of the RV's. I also carry a torque wrench to ensure they are properly torqued, you cannot do that with a lug wrench.

Unfortunate your friends suffered the blowout, however they were lucky to not suffer any damage to the RV. Count your blessings and buy a properly fitting socket and extension, also a torque wrench is a good inexpensive investment.

DQDick
03-21-2015, 03:26 PM
It's a shame no one tells folks any of this before they buy. We've also never had a lug wrench and were lucky enough to get rid of the E tires before they attacked.

jlb27537
03-21-2015, 03:31 PM
The wrench that hangs in the lower compartment only works the spare tire holder. A lug wrench, jack, etc is the owners problem.

Another example of someone buying something they know nothing about. Worse yet, going on a trip, clueless as what they need.

Glad there was no damage, but I have no sympathy for them.

davidaf
03-21-2015, 03:59 PM
I think sympathy is in order. Every vehicle i've ever purchased came with a jack and lug wrench. A trailer has wheels and lug nuts that may need to be removed just like a car. Therefor it's logical to expect a new purchase to come with the required tools since every other purchase with the same requirement did. Everybody is new once (I assume they are new to the lifestyle) and has to learn they aren't included somehow. They just happened to learn the hard way. Though, i do have to question not noticing it since I regularly check my lug nuts as is recommended on the little sticker below the 6 point leveler door.

1retired06
03-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Yup, no lug wrench with any RV we have ever had. Yup, we carry a complete set of deep sockets and a torqe wrench.

Irlpguy
03-21-2015, 04:23 PM
About the first thing I took out of my new truck and each and every one I have owned was the chicken s^%t jack and lug nut wrench provided. Yes they will work in a pinch but I have always owned a "star" wheel wrench and carry a hydraulic jack in my truck. I cannot use the same wheel wrench on the trailer so I have sockets, extension and breaker bar that fit those recessed lug nuts.

My daughter has pulled her living quarters horse trailer for hundreds of miles, no wheel wrench, no jack and I shake my head in wonder. Guess she figures she is a girl and if she stands there and looks pretty and helpless someone will come along and help her out of a situation that could happen and one which she has been reminded of many times. I don't have any sympathy for her if a problem occurs because she has been told.

I don't think it is the dealers responsibility to educate a new owner, if you are going to pull one of these things down the road you should be prepared for a possible flat tire and know you have the tools to deal with it. This may seem harsh but I have seen and helped many who wound up in the same boat.

Artemus Gordon
03-21-2015, 04:47 PM
I have both lug wrench and spare tire handle, each hung by straps! Thought that must be standard? My Komfort had three items. The slide manual retract, the handle for lowering the landing gear, and a lug wrench!

rohrmann
03-21-2015, 05:13 PM
At the very least, on most of these rigs, there is a sticker that says the lug nut torque should be checked prior to trips. If the sticker had been noticed, they might have discovered the lack of a wrench. It's probably best that one gets their own tools, as the ones supplied if they were would probably break the first time they were used.

clarkandsheila
03-21-2015, 06:32 PM
I too think some sympathy is in order. I think part of the trouble is all our cars/trucks come with a jack,lug wrench, maybe a chock so it is not an unreasonable, but wrong, expectation. Doesn't matter that it may be a poor setup, it is there.
I have seen this before especially for people who think they will like the lifestyle but have little to no mechanical ablility or savvy. They simply are ignorant of what it takes. I see the same thing with boaters.
Those that won;t learn get out, those that will learn carry on but all of us have to learn.
Those with some reasonably applicable experience with equipment other than trailers have a huge leg up on the learning curve.

If they ignore the needs then they are on their own.

Slink
03-22-2015, 09:43 AM
I carry the proper size socket compressor torque wrech and genne

Artemus Gordon
03-22-2015, 02:38 PM
UPDATE: less than 400 miles later, (this afternoon) they just blew a second tire on opposite side! Less than 3000 miles on set I believe! Both blow outs at 55 on I 5!

DQDick
03-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Which brand of tire did they have?

rohrmann
03-22-2015, 06:16 PM
That rig shouldn't roll any farther than necessary to get to a safe location and then get 14 ply rated tires installed. Hopefully this last event didn't do any damage other than the tire.

Artemus Gordon
03-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Dick: I am not sure the brand. They were the tires from the factory on the 2014 3750. I saw the E-Rating and want to say they were Marathon Tire? The tires were on opposites sides of the coach. They were dropping off RV at tire shop in Orange County tonight. No RV damage on either side. I also wanted to report that I spoke today with manager of dealer I bought my Montana at in Tx. He told me "they add the lug wrench" to every unit they sell. Include putting the holding straps on the storage wall. He said they remind new owners it's only used in emergency. Torque wrench must be used as he reminded me. He reminded me about the dealers supplemental buyers sheet. It contains warning about the 13.9 height on the 3750 with two 15k air units, and as I discovered tonight, a brief paragraph about needing a torque wrench. Always knew they were a first rate RV dealer!

N2BchMtnMrsh
03-23-2015, 12:30 PM
I would like to thank AG for posting this information about us. The 2013 Montana 3750FL came with Goodyear Marathon's, made in China, with only E ply rating. To add to AGs information, we have about 7,000 miles on these tires, two trips from OC to Salem, OR and back, a couple of San Diego trips, a Vegas Trip and a Tahoe Trip. The treads still look new. But contrary to what AG posted, as I have not had a chance to talk with him, there is extensive trailer damage. When the first tire blew, it broke the electrical line to the trailer brakes, busted up the steel plate under the black and gray valves and bent the side panel. When the second one blew, it tore off the decorative rim plate, ripped up the back of the side panel clear to the back stairs. I am trying to post some pictures, I hope I can figure it out. And while I could change the tire myself, if I am spending money on AAA, Good Sam and National General Insurance, why should I break my back? The dealer gave me an entire tool set, a road emergency triangle set, and several other tools, but NO LUG WRENCH. The tool set wrenches only go up to 1/2 inch and the lugs are 7/8 inch. My truck is 13/16 inch. I am going to get a torque wrench and some thin wall sockets to carry with me. I don't mind road trouble, but I do mind it on an 9 month old Montana with less than 10,000 miles on it.

mhs4771
03-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Hang on to those dead tires or what's left of them to submit a claim to Goodyear for the repair bill. There are others on the forum that have had their repairs covered by Goodyear, but you need the dead tires.

Carole
03-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Definitely hang on to your old tires and call Goidyear immediately. We only had 5000 miles on our bombs but I insisted on getting the 614s before we had trouble. Goodyear made us a fairly good deal and the piece of mind is priceless. So sorry you had these problems. Keystone should be ashamed to put this junk on these heavy rvs. Good luck.

N2BchMtnMrsh
03-24-2015, 01:59 PM
It is hard to "hang on" to your tires when they are in hundreds of pieces strewn along a half mile stretch of Interstate 5. I do have some pieces here, how do I go about dealing with Goodyear? Do I go to a local dealer? Do I call them? What is the process?

Artemus Gordon
03-26-2015, 07:25 PM
I would call everyone! Manufacture, Keystond, dealer! I wrote to Keystone in 2012 and got an email, stating the tires were properly spec out for the 3750. Several phones ago an not sure I still have it. I am looking for that email. I took them off and bought G14. If I find it I will post it. It might be a very important document.

robebeckl
03-27-2015, 12:51 AM
I went to my local good year dealer and they dealt with good year offices. They gave me credit for my marathons towards G614. I didn't have any damage.I was rotating my tires and noticed 1 of the four tires had a bulge around the entire tire.

jlb27537
03-27-2015, 03:00 AM
Take the pieces to a Factory Goodyear Dealer. Have them write you a receipt for the tires. The Dealer will then either save them for a rep to inspect or will ship to Goodyear.

Get a body damage estimate. You will receive a form from Goodyear, fill it out and return. A good Dealer will help you on the replacement tire prices.

Years ago, Goodyear recommended a G159 tire for trailer use. This was before the G614 was developed. I had a G159 blow and caused over $3,000 damage to a SOB. Goodyear replaced all 5 tires and paid for the damage, no questions asked.

I would also file a complaint with NHTSA http://www.safercar.gov/ Enough complaints, Keystone should??? do something.

You might want to have a recent weight slip to prove you were not over weight on the axles.

Slufoot733
03-27-2015, 07:08 AM
Strange, our 2010 3150RL has a lug wrench hanging on the front wall of the big storage compartment. It's held there by Velcro strips. IT CAME WITH THE MONTY!

bigskyjimmy
03-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Yep a lug Wrench came with my 2012 as well BUT not on the 2015, does not matter anyway like was said before EVERYBODY should have a big Torque wrench and the right socket And my Dealer during the PDI told me to heck with the Lug wrench and carry a Torque Wrench and Socket(NOT INCLUDED);)

jlb27537
03-27-2015, 01:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Slufoot733

Strange, our 2010 3150RL has a lug wrench hanging on the front wall of the big storage compartment. It's held there by Velcro strips. IT CAME WITH THE MONTY!

I'd bet a beverage the "lug wrench" is the tool to turn the spare tire holder down. Not a actual "lug wrench" The nuts torque to 120 ft lbs. Takes a pretty good tool to get to that.

My '14 came with a tool hanging on the front of the lower compartment. The spare tire tool, not a lug wrench.

Jim

bigskyjimmy
03-27-2015, 02:41 PM
yep on my 2012 it came with both the spare tire wrench AND a Lug wrench which I agree it would take alot muscle to get off a lug at 120lbs Or torqueing it back to 120, I think it was just for Emergency purposes ,on my 2015 I just got the spare tire wrench.......Where's my Cold one:D

Artemus Gordon
03-27-2015, 08:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

quote:Originally posted by Slufoot733

I'd bet a beverage the "lug wrench" is the tool to turn the spare tire holder down. Not a actual "lug wrench" The nuts torque to 120 ft lbs. Takes a pretty good tool to get to that.

My '14 came with a tool hanging on the front of the lower compartment. The spare tire tool, not a lug wrench. Someone owes me a refreshing beverage!

Jim

Mine, as I reported came with both the tool for lowing tire & "lug wrench"! So it seems only the "special units" came wth all the tools! Lol

jlb27537
03-28-2015, 05:06 AM
quote:[i]I just got the spare tire wrench.......Where's my Cold one:D

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_572796_0_a7761c9dee3e126d13501a1e9da5cc16.jpg

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_572796_1_b291e9eaad0aac3c03158f154417463c.jpg

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_572796_2_7dde9416e8e4811d6d8bd400ea274f46.jpg

Jim

bigskyjimmy
03-28-2015, 07:51 AM
LMAO .....TOO Funny I'll take it:Dquote:Originally posted by jlb27537

quote:[i]I just got the spare tire wrench.......Where's my Cold one:D

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_572809_0_a7761c9dee3e126d13501a1e9da5cc16.jpg

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_572809_1_b291e9eaad0aac3c03158f154417463c.jpg

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_572809_2_7dde9416e8e4811d6d8bd400ea274f46.jpg

Jim