PDA

View Full Version : Looking for confirmation about the need for TPMS

Mark N.
03-19-2015, 07:03 PM
I can see the "want" of these. I want them too. But, they aren't cheap. So, I'm wondering about the "need". Has anyone here actually had a tire "saved" by a TPMS alert once they were driving, and after they checked tires before moving?
I ALWAYS check the pressures before moving, and, at every rest stop I walk around looking and listening.
I know that it has happened to people, but my question is how common is it for these things to save a tire?

I hear constantly about people swearing by them, but is it just a "peace of mind" thing, or have you actually been alerted by a tire leaking fast enough that it wouldn't have lasted until your next stop without blowing?

Rondo
03-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Mark-- I think it is personal choice of whether to put them on your wheels or not. I do have them on our Monte and also the truck. It's not that I've ever had them go off on me but it is a safety device I feel better having. I know numerous MOC members that have saved not only the tire but also damage to the side and wheel well of the Monte because the monitor alerted them when the tire blew or had a rapid drop in the pressure of a tire. One normally will not hear a tire blow or go bad until it is to late and the tire is chewed up or the tire has shredded and taken out half of your wheel well or even the brake line and etc which I have seen happen. Again, I say it is a personal choice but I would not be without them.

JandC
03-20-2015, 01:31 AM
I haven't experienced a "save" yet with mine. But if one of my tires begin to drop air I sure will not see it out of my side mirrors. I do a walk-around inspection when I fuel up or stop at rest areas also. I feel each hub for excess heat and look over each tire even though I have TPMS. Most rest areas and truck stops are a little too noisy to hear a leak don't you think?

Being full time and traveling a lot the past couple of years I sure didn't want to try to remember to check my tires every time I hooked up. With TPMS I can see what the exact pressure and temperature is of each tire after turning it on and waiting about 3 minutes.

Ishler
03-20-2015, 01:41 AM
I have! We were returning from the Lancaster Pa area to home when just north of the New York border the Low pressure alarm went off. I was able to get to a nearby rest are where I found a screw in the trailer tire. Can't predict what would have happened traveling at 65mph on a hot sunny day. We have the TST system.

timandsusan
03-20-2015, 02:37 AM
I have had several low pressure alarms from just leaving the RV park (and I checked the tires) to towing down the Interstate at 65 with an alarm. Having said that--We tow about 6000 miles a year for the past 9 years. I see it as exposure to road hazards will place your rig in the situation where tire failure is more likely. At that mileage--I feel we are to exposed to those road hazards to skip TPMS. If I were just towing to the Texas coast for several weeks--a round trip of 300 miles--might skip it--low exposure to hazards. For our travel safety and towing habits--TPMS is a must--but each of the MOCers has to made the decision on their own. I also believe in getting new tires after 4 years max on the RV. I have a log on when each tire was bought--mileage is not the issue.

richfaa
03-20-2015, 03:55 AM
They will NOT protect against a "sudden and catastrophic failure"(Blowout);We have had them on both our Montnana's for a total of 9 years and @ 80K miles. We have had several low pressure alarms that allowed us get off the road and check the tire. I am sure they have saved us considerable damage to the Montana. Considering the damage that can be done and the cost of repair they are well worth the money. We will not move unless they are working.

A slow loss of pressure if not detected will cause the tire to come off the rim and will look and feel like a blowout.

BB_TX
03-20-2015, 04:05 AM
I have had mine for 3 years and so far have never had an alarm for low tire or hi temp. In fact I have never had a low tire at all in 8 years of owning the Monte. But on trips we may drive 2-3 hours between stops. And being able to see the pressures during those intervals gives peace of mind. Low tires don't just happen before you leave or at rest stops. A slow leak on the highway and an alarm may allow you time to find a safe place to pull off, or to prevent ruining a tire from continued driving. Or in the case of a blowout or sudden loss of pressure that you might not hear, it could prevent ruining a wheel even though it would not save the tire. One saved tire or wheel would pay for the monitor. Not to mention the hassle of replacement.

DarMar
03-20-2015, 04:13 AM
No saves here either but real piece of mind, something we require. With our dually it is extremely difficult to check pressure of the inside dual. Wouldn't be without, just spent $350. On 10 new sensors after 7 years. Our system is a pressure pro.

DQDick
03-20-2015, 04:20 AM
Had one save and met a man who found out due to high temp in one tire that he had a wheel bearing going bad. While Rich said it won't save from a catastrophic failure, finding a low pressure situation can avert a catastrophic failure. As others have said, worth the peace of mind.

H. John Kohl
03-20-2015, 04:55 AM
The SAVE is the low pressure alert. The fifth wheel trailer tows perfectly. You will never feel a flat tire on the trailer. You may or my not hear a blowout. I heard mine before adding TPMS. Was the blow out caused by low pressure I will never know. The TPMS is one of three Safety items I recommend for 5th wheels. The TPMS did tell me of a tire going flat.
1. Surge Guard EMS on the power lines.
2. Bed Saver on the Hitch.
3. TPMS.
Safe travels.

jlb27537
03-20-2015, 06:50 AM
My 507RV has saved me. $240 is cheep insurance.

http://www.shop.greatrvproducts.com/category.sc?categoryId=29

Jim

twindman
03-20-2015, 07:24 AM
I had a save at the Rally in Goshen last fall. (it was on the truck tho and I wasn't towing at the time) Wife and I headed to a little town about 30 miles away for some genealogy research. Got about 1 mile from another small town and got low pressure alert - 42 psi in right front. Drove into town and stopped at first available place. By then it was something like 38 psi. Went across the street to gas station to add air. Started at around 35 and was DOWN to 30 in about a minute or 2. They said a tire shop about 1 mile away. Drove quickly and was around 20-22 when I got there. They swapped spare to front rim, sold a used tire (still good shape) for spare, and balanced and installed both for $70. I didn't have to do a thing, so that tpms was very nice. Without it I probably would have had a complete flat in 5 minutes out on a highway and had to change it myself. Oh, by the way, the sidewall had about a 2-3 inch slit in it!!

tracyclifton
03-24-2015, 03:46 AM
I've had the system since 2008. It saved me 2 years ago on the freeway. The low sensor sounded. Pulled to the side and found the stainless steel valve stem nut was loose and the valve stem was leaking. Tightened it up and made it to the next air station. No doubt in my mind that it would have deflated and blown out causing possibly thousands in damage.

sambam
03-24-2015, 05:01 AM
I bought mine 2 years ago after buying the Montana. Everyone on this forum said to get rid of the Marathons, but I wasn't in a position to go out and spend big bucks on G rated tires at the time. After the camper, fifth wheel hitch, and other assorted unexpecteds, funds were tight. Someone here made the suggestion to at least get a TPMS so I'll know if/when something happened. Several years ago, I towed my Cougar TT for miles not knowing I had a blowout. Quite a bit of damage. I didn't want a repeat perfomance with this camper. I spent the money, got the TST, and since then have added the G614's. I can't imagine being without the system now that I have it. It is peace of mind, but it's also must-have equipment, IMO.

Mudchief
03-24-2015, 05:09 AM
It has saved me 2 times. Like Dick says some blowouts are caused by low pressure and heat building up.

DonandBonnie
04-05-2015, 11:13 AM
We will not be without a pressure monitor system. Two years ago we were hauling the Big Sky through the mountains of West Virginia when the monitor showed one of the inside tires on our dually at 26 lbs. We found a wide spot to pull off so that we could check the tire. The tire seemed solid when we checked it. Knowing that we did not need the dual tires to carry the weight of the Big Sky we continued on, albeit at a slower speed until we found a tire shop. The mechanic's first opinion was that we had a bad reading on our monitor, but decided to pull the tire just to make sure. Sure enough he found a small screw imbedded in the tire and a very slow leak. With a patch on the inside of the tire we were on our way. As solid as that tire seemed who knows how long we would have driven before discovering that the inside tire was flat. As we said, we will not be without our pressure monitor.

ReneT
04-13-2015, 04:17 PM
I just installed a system 2 months ago and traveled from FL to Ar then to NH. It was reassuring to know that I was somewhat protected. I went out to my truck today after it as sitting for 2 weeks. I started the truck and drove off. As soon as I started driving, the internal message from the truck said the left front tire needed air. I then turned on my TPMS and it said it was down to 51 lbs. I stopped the truck and looked at the tire. It looked fine. My tires take 80 PSI and at 51 PSI it looked good to the naked eye. I went home and checked the pressure and it was indeed down to 51 lbs. If I had continued to drive most likely it would have overheated and blown. What if that had been my RV's tire. Imagine the damage it would have done.
I had a King of The Road a few years ago and a tire did blow and I never knew it until a passing motorist flagged me down. By the time I stopped all was left was the two beads on the rim. The entire tire was gone. It also did a lot of damage to the wheel well. Just that one instance a TPMS system would have paid for itself.

rames14
04-13-2015, 04:23 PM
We had a definite save. Our first TST system was showing our pressure and temp consistently. All of a sudden I saw one tire start dropping pressure. We pulled over and had about a four inch slit in the sidewall of our tire. Who knows how long before we had a full blow out?

iowaone
04-13-2015, 04:40 PM
I have had two saves on camper and one on another vehicle in six years. In these cases I was able to get to better location to change tire an no damage on camper from destroyed tire