PDA

View Full Version : A new metal valve stem was the cause of a leak...

Mark N.
03-09-2015, 05:40 PM
I checked my tires last month before I moved my trailer to a parking lot near my home for a day. I noted that one of the tires was down about 7-8 lbs. from the others. "Hmmmm" thought I. I pressurized it back up and forgot about it until today while getting ready for a trip. Again, that tire was down 7-8 lbs. from the others.
OK then, off came the tire (a Goodyear G614) and down to Discount Tire I went with it. The tire and the full metal valve stem are both about 14 months old. (Yes, they replaced brand-new Goodyear Marathons)
Indeed, the valve stem was leaking around it's base. Discount Tire replaced it, problem fixed. No charge. Even new things occasionally fail...

1retired06
03-10-2015, 03:13 AM
Good thing you check your tires regularly

Tom S.
03-10-2015, 03:26 AM
Just proof that anything man made can fail. Always check things to be sure. :D

DQDick
03-10-2015, 04:40 AM
Good catch! Even 614's aren't put them on and forget them tires.

rohrmann
03-10-2015, 06:50 AM
We've had a couple of the stems develop leaks since we installed our G614's. The original stems installed were too short to install the TPMS sensors, so eventually we had them replaced with longer ones. Unfortunately, they were the style that has the nuts inside the wheel, and we have had a couple of them fail. The best one that was installed as a replacement has the nut on the outside and has been solid. Not all tire shops have all the styles of stems available, so that is something to investigate ahead of time, prior to having the tires installed.

ALSAN
03-10-2015, 04:47 PM
I also had one of my metal stems fail last summer on our trip out west it was the type that had a rubber washer inside and out side with a nut the rubber washer had split and my TST set off the alarm changed to the spare and stopped at Les Swab got it fixed and bought extras for my tool box ( not all dealers have the metal ones in stock )
On return I took Monty to my local tire guy pulled all tires off and replaced all stems with new style on checked the old stems there was another rubber washer split and ready to let go

DmaxDually
03-13-2015, 02:01 PM
I am in the process of replacing my Marathons with G614s. I'm installing the flow thru tire pressure sensors from TST on the valve stems. It took some research to find the right metal valve stems that will fit the aluminum wheel. The valve stem hole on the factory Montana wheel is recessed. I couldn't use the metal valve stems that have the hex nut on the outside because of the recess they couldn'r fit a socket on it to tighten it down. I went with Enkei 45 deg metal bolt on valve stems that have 2 hex nuts on the inside. The first nut is installed and torqued to tighten down the valve stem. Then the second nut is installed as a jam nut to keep it locked down.

CORattler
03-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Good info here. Thanks everyone for the insight.

rohrmann
03-13-2015, 03:57 PM
The best stem we have installed is one that has a large flange on the inside, with gasket inside and out. The nut is actually a long sleeve with the nut portion just outside the surface of the wheel. I was concerned at first, didn't think the flow through sensor would work, but there is just enough.

DmaxDually
03-14-2015, 09:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

The best stem we have installed is one that has a large flange on the inside, with gasket inside and out. The nut is actually a long sleeve with the nut portion just outside the surface of the wheel. I was concerned at first, didn't think the flow through sensor would work, but there is just enough.

The problem I have with the aluminum wheel on the camper and on my truck is that the hole for the valve stem is recessed in the wheel. Any metel stems that have a nut on the outside can't be used because they can't fit a socket in the recess to hold the nut to tighten it on the inside. I'm sure there are other stems out there that will work but the tire shops don't want to waste time trying to figure it out.They want you in and out.
The Goodyear shop by me was very good. They sell custom wheels so they had a few different metel valve stems in stock that they were willing to try. The only ones that fit were for the Enkei wheels. There is no nut on the outside just a round flange with a rubber hat washer under it that fits into the valve stem hole in the wheel and then another rubber hat washer that goes in from the inside of the wheel with a washer and a double nut to hole it in. Hopefully it will work for me. If not it's back to the drawing board or give up and go with internal sensors [V]