PDA

View Full Version : Normal Pressure and Temp for TPMS?

Goin 4 Broke
03-01-2015, 03:00 PM
I am running the stock tires and installed TPMS. Cold inflation is at 80 psi. What is considered "normal" rise while running? I had 95 psi on two of the tires and 87 on the other two. Temps around 60. Is this ok?

rohrmann
03-01-2015, 04:34 PM
When we had the Marathons, I set the low pressure to 70 psi, and left the other settings alone. Now that we are running the G614's, I have the low pressure set to 100 psi, and again, all the other settings are the default numbers that the monitor came with. Depending on the ambient temperature, and the temperature of the pavement, the tire temps can cover a wide range, as well as the high pressure from the initial cold pressure the tires are inflated to. No need to worry too much about anything except the tires being under inflated. As you travel, you will get used to checking the monitor as it scrolls to each tire, and you will see the temps being higher on the sunny side of the rig, and pressure variations between all the tires.

DQDick
03-01-2015, 04:44 PM
I use TST brand monitors and they recommend setting the alarm at 20% above and 10% below where you inflate your tires too. Temps are going to vary significantly with weather and road conditions, but as long as it's not over 157 degrees your fine. Based on this, your two at 95degrees are getting close to the 20%.

dieselguy
03-02-2015, 05:32 AM
Although I use TPMS and it saved me a flat out on the road shortly after I installed it ... it can create a bit of parinoia watching the screen. Going down the road, temps will rise 10 - 15 degrees maybe more on a really hot day. On a hot summer day, the side with the tires to the sun will be several degrees more as well as a few lbs more than the shaded side. When temps in winter months fall significantly static tire pressure will drop several lbs. This has always been going on before you got a tire monitor ... now you can see it on the screen. Set your alarms as needed and the rest is just more fluff to having a TPMS onboard.

rames14
03-02-2015, 03:13 PM
I would say that your pressure is normal. Typically the two sides of the Montana will be close to the same temp. Not just sun side but weight distribution of your unit. You might want to have each tire weighed at a rally to see if that is impacting your pressure. If you don't have temperature on your TPMS, you might want to get an infrared thermometer also.

leemedic
03-02-2015, 11:22 PM
Two to three times I had temperature spikes up into the 170's on my front tires. I turned the sensor off to reset, and yet the temperatures were in the 170's.

I could not figure it out until I took my truck into Ford for an oil change.

They checked my front brakes, and the calipers were sticking against the disc.

I had to replace both. So, if you should ever see a temp spike like that, consider your brakes.

JandC
03-03-2015, 12:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Goin 4 Broke

I am running the stock tires and installed TPMS. Cold inflation is at 80 psi. What is considered "normal" rise while running? I had 95 psi on two of the tires and 87 on the other two. Temps around 60. Is this ok?

I think you readings are normal, however on both my Montana units I have never ran the OEM tires. If the 8 degree temperature difference is from side to side, then I am guessing you are a little heavy on one side of your trailer. Even if I have all sun on one side of mine while towing I only end up with a 2 or 3 psi difference, but that is with G614's.

DarMar
03-03-2015, 02:18 AM
I believe your pressure increases while running look normal. We are running 614s as well though and we never notice a difference in pressure from tire to tire of more than 2 - 3 psi, perhaps with a different tire it could be greater.

Our previous unit was a lot heavier on the drivers side but we still didn't ever experience more than 2 - 3 psi difference.