PDA

View Full Version : Any one here travel with their dogs?

Willy Bee
12-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Hi All,
I travel with 2 basset hounds. Both are rescues from ABC basset rescue. Who are your 4 legged friends?

Charlie

mlh
12-23-2014, 02:00 AM
We have a little basest a PBGV.
Lynwood

1retired06
12-23-2014, 02:32 AM
We have two, cockapoo mix and lasaApso/Maltese mix. Neither shed!

Happycamperscolorado
12-23-2014, 02:52 AM
4 month old black lab. travels well so far

K0LCB
12-23-2014, 03:23 AM
We have 4 yapping Yorkie, good morning to you, welcome to the zoo

Captain Joe
12-23-2014, 04:15 AM
We travel with 5 and soon to be six. Lots of doggie bags for us. See our website, below.

Arizonacouple
12-23-2014, 04:38 AM
BXRS4US is our license plate and says it all - rescues from Boxerluv, Phoenix

BB_TX
12-23-2014, 05:00 AM
75 lb 8 yr old rescue (adopted at 6) Golden, Molly. Before her a 75 lb 14 yr old rescue (adopted at 8) Golden, Austin. Great travel dogs.

tweber502
12-23-2014, 05:53 AM
We travel with JoJo our Boxadore. She's a Yellow Lab/Boxer mix and loves to travel and stay in the Montana. We rescued her around 8 years ago from the Central Kentucky Boxer Rescue. She was just 3 months old when we adopted her. Tim

http://i57.tinypic.com/t5rdz9.jpg

bigskyjimmy
12-23-2014, 06:31 AM
No Dogs anymore for us(although we love dogs) they are like having kids again except you gotta pick up the poop[:p],2 cats for us now and LOW maintenance and if we have to leave for a few days we have a automatic feeder:)

ALSAN
12-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Two labs and a golden plus Cotton the cat

Neil.M
12-24-2014, 05:42 PM
13# 4yr old Pug (runt of the litter}. Travels very well but she sheds a lot, but worth putting up with the hair. Great dog.

leemedic
12-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Buck Sergeant, Ginger Snap both Golden Retrievers and Anchor a Flat Coat Retriever.

steelpony5555
12-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Two very spoiled rescued miniature poodles.....one black one white so we are politically correct....guess we should get a brown one ......used to have Mastiffs and Rotties......but in my old age came wisdom.....miniature poodles make tiny poopies.....need I say more......

halfwright
12-26-2014, 02:01 AM
We have one rescue dog, a cross between a poodle and a garbage disposal. I call him the Ethiopian monkeybeaver dog. I know he is Ethiopian because he is always hungry and he eats bananas and tree roots.

MIMF
12-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Baxter is an 85 pound 10 year old Walker Coon Hound. One of the most intelligent dogs I have ever known. Cleaning up after him is easy because, you can see the pile 10 yards away if, you know what I mean.

Willy Bee
12-31-2014, 11:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

Baxter is an 85 pound 10 year old Walker Coon Hound. One of the most intelligent dogs I have ever known. Cleaning up after him is easy because, you can see the pile 10 yards away if, you know what I mean.

That is tooooo funny

MRSXBADHABITZ1
02-06-2015, 08:07 AM
2 Japanese Chins

Virginia Young
02-06-2015, 02:01 PM
One spoiled rotten Blue Heeler. (Also known as an Australian Cattle Dog.)

washley1
02-06-2015, 05:15 PM
A 12 1/2 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Baily. Travels like a dream, but starting to slow waaaaay down. I think it won't be long and we'll be looking again...

cglabelle
02-13-2015, 05:17 PM
We are down to 1 dog. We used to travel with 3 Alaskan Malamutes.

For people with med to large dogs check out these. They are very sturdy and portable. Advantek™ Pet Gazebo, 5 ft. x 5 ft. x 5 ft.
104872499 $149.99 (price and info from Tractor Supply)

We use 2 of these to make a larger enclosure for one dog. You can connect quite a few of these together. All you do is turn the connector (top and bottom) to "out" from "in".

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_566677_0_ebfc5dca27f569e9d5fdcf45bf3ab637.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/CGLaBelle/media/Saxons%20condo%20AZ%201-2015.jpg.html)

kdeiss
02-14-2015, 01:38 AM
[quote]Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

No Dogs anymore for us(although we love dogs) they are like having kids again except you gotta pick up the poop[:p],2 cats for us now and LOW maintenance and if we have to leave for a few days we have a automatic feeder:)

X2 We totally agree

PackerFan
02-14-2015, 10:24 AM
We have 1 Chocolate Lab and 1 cat. They are the best of friends and buddies!!

Jay Bird
02-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Two Brittany's travel with us.

mlh
02-14-2015, 12:03 PM
When you travel with your pets. Do they travel in the TV or the camper?
Lynwood

tweber502
02-15-2015, 03:38 AM
We would never have our dog travel in the camper. The back seat of the Sierra folds down to make a flat surface and we have a large 3'X4' memory foam dog bed we put in there for her to lay on. Needless to say she is VERY comfortable traveling. I would think that riding in the Montana would be very bumpy and make her sick. I wouldn't want to ride back there and I'm sure she wouldn't want to either. Tim

leemedic
02-15-2015, 04:15 AM
We travel with 2-Golden Retrievers and 1 Flat Coat Retriever.

Willy Bee
02-16-2015, 05:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Lynwood
In the TV only. This way I can know when they need a potty break! They have the back seat all to themselves.

kim65gt
03-03-2016, 11:18 AM
We just got our 2010 Montana and plan to retire in it in 2018 with our 3 dogs (2 Chihuahuas and 1 Chinese Crested) and 3 cats. Not sure how it's all gonna work out but we're going to give it our best shot.

Ragtacker
03-03-2016, 03:01 PM
3 Yorkies they travel very well and love being in the trailer even if its just in the driveway

GLS3950
03-04-2016, 01:03 AM
2 Dachshunds. One mini smooth coat and one standard long hair. They travel great as long as they are in the front seat with us. Not spoiled at all.

Virginia Young
03-04-2016, 02:18 AM
We full-time in our Big Sky and have a Blue Heeler named Bella. She loves to travel and easily adjusted from the large back yard we had at our house, to the constant leash-walks. The drawback - having to keep outings short because we have a dog waiting on us. We have a one-month stay planned for Washington DC this Spring and are going to have to send her to my dad in AR. There is just no way to see DC with a dog in tow and it wouldn't be fair to her, to leave her all day.

edit: Oops! just saw that I replied to this last year. LOL

spikedog
03-04-2016, 03:15 AM
Two crazy Jack Russells- Macy Rose and Sunny Bean.

kim65gt
04-05-2016, 01:28 PM
We plan to travel with two Chihuahua's (13 & 14), one Chinese Crested (3) and three ornery cats (3, 7 & 8). Not planning our get away until 2018 so we have a couple of years to work out the bugs in our plan. But they are definitely going with us.

chris199
04-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Reagan, the 3 year old yorkie, goes everywhere with us. She rides up front with us in a "car seat/box" with a buckle for her harness. Very comfortable and secure. Pic in signature.

Beau2010
04-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Our two Goldens, Beau, 6 and 95 lbs and Bella, 3 and 65 lbs travel with us. Both good travelers. Since we are getting a little elderly, we have to hit the rest stop at least once a day so that works well for them as well. Back seat of our Dodge is fine for them with the fold down platform. Truck has rear seat A/C vents so they stay cool as well. They will tell us if they are thirsty or hot; probably better travelers than two kids would be.

egregg57
04-07-2016, 02:43 AM
We bring Tobey (Australian Cattle Dog - Shepherd mix) everywhere we camp. He doesn't let on that he's excited about going but we know he is. Once arriving at our destination he is pretty much beside himself and wants to take walk after walk. We try to stop at CG's with Dog Parks. We'll turn him loose in one of those and he becomes a "Mad Dog" as we call him! Run, Run, Run! He is great with other dogs and will have normally a group running with him, playing, and chasing one another.

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_604161_0_ebd5b7eb89819f190905fe6e0d50cdc5.jpg

If we are planning a day trip, we'll drop him off at the attended park for the day. After coming back to the campground and picking him up, he is toast. Just plain worn out in a good way!

Tasha who passed away 2 Novembers ago absolutely loved going camping. She was a Chow/Lab mix. All black with a purple tongue, and felt like a stuffed animal to the touch. Very, very smart too. I would love to have another one just like her. She would become very excited. She knew, as soon as we started taking clothes or food out to the camper, that we were getting ready to go. She could barely contain herself.

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_604161_1_af42a36e40a3a47b18014c57da9fb564.jpg

She would sit between the wife and I, looking out the window, intently watching the world go by. She loved pine needles, and curling up near the fire. She was a great dog!

Both Tobey and Tasha were rescues. Tobey had been through 4 homes before us. I don't know why. He is a good pooch! Well travelled they went from Acadia in Maine to Charleston, SC and many places in between. They may have had a not so good start prior to being "Rescues" but since ending up with us, they both have been given a good life!

Both my wife and I miss Tasha so.

Sundogette
04-10-2016, 04:47 AM
Bax & Bailey - Pembroke Welsh Corgi's. They travel really well. They know the drill when it is time to get in the truck. Only challenge is the perpetual dog hair. I try to brush them daily....and I vacuum a lot!

Beau2010
04-26-2016, 05:52 AM
Beau and Bella go everywhere with us. Both Goldens; Beau is 100 lbs male and Bella is 65 lbs female. She was six months old on our first trip with her. Probably would not do that again but they are great travelers. If Bella had a thumb and could speak English, we would send her to school with the other kids. Smartest dog we ever had and we have had some good ones.

gjetzen
05-09-2016, 04:50 AM
It's 2 English Springer Spaniels for us. Duncan and Rodney. Duncan loves going for rides in the truck, Rodney traveling on the interstate no problem however if the road gets too hilly and curvy he will get motion sick so we normally "drug" him just n case. One adult Bonine tablet does the trick. Both dogs travel in their crates in the back seat area of the truck.

Sally Newberry
08-18-2016, 05:16 AM
We have 3 mini long-haired Dapple Dachshunds ages 13, 11 & 9. They also travel well...as long as they are in the front seat :DLOL!!! Most of the time the 2 young(er) ones will sleep in the back seat, however the oldest one, Peanut, MUST be up front. She likes to be on the center armrest so she can see, or on a pillow on my lap. All 3 of them are excellent campground dogs. We were seasonal in a campground when we got Peanut so she spent roughly the 1st 6 months of her life in a campground. She quickly learned campground etiquette, where her boundaries were, not to bark at other dogs or people...unless they come into her yard. Since our other 2 are her puppies she seemed to teach them the same thing. We camp on weekends as of right now and usually get compliments on how well behaved our "kids" are. We can leave them in our camper for a few hours alone, and as long as we have the radio or tv on and the shades pulled they don't bark...at least that's what our neighbors have said. We've been very lucky with them.

quote:Originally posted by GLS3950

2 Dachshunds. One mini smooth coat and one standard long hair. They travel great as long as they are in the front seat with us. Not spoiled at all.

Bigdog
08-18-2016, 01:34 PM
We have one dachshund she is a mini, black and white. Great travel dog she is either on the floor in her bed asleep or on the wife's lap sleeping/looking out the window.

jameswbarton
08-18-2016, 01:49 PM
We have a Puggle Couch, a Cavalier king Charles Couch, and two theater chairs for us in the living room and the king Bed for four. The dogs love the walk in shower!

hybridhauler
08-18-2016, 03:50 PM
We travel with two. Mo is a Border Collie that has been blind since he was one. Molly is a Corgi and part time seeing eye dog for Mo.
Both travel well. If you say the word camping....Mo goes crazy, he loves going on trips.

kevinfrance
08-27-2016, 04:35 PM
Hello. We are new to this site, just purchased our first camper. 2016 - 3910FB Legacy fifth wheel. We have been out almost every weekend with it since our purchase in July. We have two german shepherd dogs that we take everywhere. They love to camp!

padredw
08-28-2016, 01:11 AM
We have a problem, Maybe someone can help.

We have Daisy, a lab/mix, that is a member of our family. She came to us at our back door 8 years ago. She has been over most of the United States, riding in the back seat of our pickup which we use to tow our 34' fifth-wheel. She loves to camp, but not to ride.

The problem is that she begins to pant within a half hour of our starting out pulling the trailer. She does not sleep, she pants, sometimes quite loudly but always constantly.

We have tried a "thunder shirt" (she is totally frightened by thunder here at home), and a couple of medications, but nothing has cured her insecurity. Note that this has been going on for almost 8 years, so it hasn't affected her general health--physical or psycho-social.

Obviously we have learned to live with it, but if anyone has any ideas that might help, this old dog is willing to try some new tricks.http://dw4u.net/dog11.jpg

BB_TX
08-28-2016, 05:42 AM
padredw - Have you tried Composure for your dog? Our vet recommended it. Our Golden is very much afraid of thunder and heavy rain, but the Thundershirt plus Composure works very well in calming her. When I see a storm approaching, I put her Thundershirt on her and give her a "chill pill" before the storm arrives.
She does not pant when traveling, but does not rest well either. Planning to try the Composure on our next long trip.

padredw
08-28-2016, 07:33 AM
Thanks, Bill, I will see if I can get some "Composure" this week. We are leaving one week from today on a long trip through Colorado, Wyoming, and New Mexico. That will be a good test.

David

Mel B.
03-02-2017, 07:57 AM
She's a 95 LB. German Shepard, and she thinks she owns the truck. She sleeps in it, sits in it as long as I'll let her. We love her, but she sheds ALOT!!

John Neeley
03-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Two Brittany's travel with us.

We also have a Britt, Bailey, age 12... jiust got back from the beauty parlor infact, to keep the fur down... best dog we've ever had, and we've had many. Also her partner in crime, Sally, a Chi-Doxie, age 1. Seems everything evolves around them mutts and controls our daily chores, and worse when traveling as the DW thinks they have to eat 3 times a day at a certain time... dunno, think they got us under their paws, haha..

John Neeley
03-02-2017, 09:37 AM
Lynwood TV.... back seat of crewcab folds down and they have a regular doggie bed back there plus pillows, etc... geez, what a life of Riley..

Beau2010
03-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Two Goldens; Beau, 100 lbs and Bella, 65 lbs. They ride in the back seat (folded down) of our '16 Ram 3500. They know when its time to go and jump in with no encouragement and go right to sleep. If they get hot, I get a tongue in my ear. We also stop at rest areas on our schedule and they "go" also. Only down side is all the hair they leave behind.

Rick G
03-02-2017, 06:14 PM
We have two fur kids also, Jack-border collie mix and Daffy-lab mix. Both ride in the backseat of the TV on comfy dog beds except when we drive around the campground after we've set up. Daffy thinks she has to help me drive at 5 mph or less. Due to Daffy's bad back, we have a doggie ramp to get in the truck, a ramp to get in the camper, a ramp to get on the bed, and I'll be making a ramp for the 2 steps to the living room. They're worth it to us.:)

Ragtacker
03-02-2017, 06:57 PM
3 beautiful spoiled Yorkies

Dam Worker
03-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Two little Toy Yorkies accompany us on most trips. Easy to travel with because of their size. Joey the old man and Brandy the young girl do not want to be left behind. Until we have grandkids they are our extended family as we get closer to retirement.

Tom Marty

washley1
03-02-2017, 10:22 PM
A 12 1/2 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Baily. Travels like a dream, but starting to slow waaaaay down. I think it won't be long and we'll be looking again...
And so life keeps happening. She is no longer with us.

kdeiss
03-03-2017, 10:30 AM
No more Dogs for us over a 25 year period we had two Weimeraners that traveled well!
Sure miss the love and companionship but do not miss the care and restrictions.

Ronthecanadian
03-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Three golden retrievers (rescued dogs) in our troop.

762x51
03-03-2017, 02:40 PM
We have a 5 yr old, spoiled, "Sooner" that we travel with named Maggie. She's a really sweet dog, loves people, and likes to ride in the back seat of our truck. Never been any problem at all.

adams7806
03-03-2017, 06:50 PM
We have 2 mini dachshunds, Roxy and Rudy. We swore we would not be those old folks that call their dogs babies...............but we ARE those old folks!

vipermanden
03-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Two female Golden's go with us, Sunny and Chloe. If you zoom in on the pic, you can see them in the back seat.

Rygar
03-03-2017, 10:39 PM
A pair of incredibly spoiled Shetland Sheepdogs. (Shelties)

Arizonacouple
03-04-2017, 08:40 AM
We also have a very sweet boxer gal but she hates to travel in the truck. She stares out the window constantly panting. She can only lie down for a few seconds before she has to get up and resume her discomfort. We have tried numerous remedies but they either don't work or they her worse. Our only solution is to stop at rest stops more frequently and give her a break from the truck.

Rick G
03-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Before we set out on an excursion, we walk the pups about a mile to tire them out and take care of business. After about 100-120 miles the lab gets restless so we find a rest area, then off again for another 100 -120 miles. The process doesn't bother us, it's nice to take a break. On the way home after a weekend excursion she's worn out and can usually make 200 miles before stopping.

jjackflash
03-05-2017, 07:19 PM
We have a problem, Maybe someone can help.

We have Daisy, a lab/mix, that is a member of our family. She came to us at our back door 8 years ago. She has been over most of the United States, riding in the back seat of our pickup which we use to tow our 34' fifth-wheel. She loves to camp, but not to ride.

The problem is that she begins to pant within a half hour of our starting out pulling the trailer. She does not sleep, she pants, sometimes quite loudly but always constantly.

We have tried a "thunder shirt" (she is totally frightened by thunder here at home), and a couple of medications, but nothing has cured her insecurity. Note that this has been going on for almost 8 years, so it hasn't affected her general health--physical or psycho-social.

Obviously we have learned to live with it, but if anyone has any ideas that might help, this old dog is willing to try some new tricks.http://dw4u.net/dog11.jpg

We had a 12 year old lab that did the same thing, on one trip she got so bad we had to rush her to a vet.We learned to give her Tramadol before we started out.

vipermanden
03-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Our Golden's are 7 and 8 years old, and were nervous at first, but we fold up the back seat in the new Ram truck, and put the cargo deck down, and put a big quilt on it, with two fluffy dog beds with raised soft sides, and they now just dig in, and start sleeping, as soon as we hit the road. We give them the really small mini Milk Bone dog biscuits along the way, as rewards for being good travel dogs. Of course we stop more often because of them, but as long as we keep the temps down, they don't pant or fret anymore.