PDA

View Full Version : Generator storage compartment question

Happycamperscolorado
12-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Don't plan on putting a Generator in the front storage compartment. Was curious what folks are using their storage for? I know there are slots in the base of the compartment and thought that would be a good place for sewer and water hoses. Any ideas on dividing this space up? Anyone have any pics to

Have to get my rv reloaded after trading in TT.

Thanks

mamestra
12-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Store my Weber Q barbecue the propane tank for it, my tool box and most of our outdoor decorations. I put a plywood "floor" in it in order to do this.

woodman
12-14-2014, 10:30 AM
It is an unheated area so consider only articles you're not concerned about freezing. I put both my (2) small Honda portable generators in there plus a small compressor and an additional battery. We have a separate area in our Montana for the sewer hose. Whatever you store in that area will distribute more weight to the hitch, so if that is a concern, you need to consider that.

Drifty1
12-14-2014, 11:12 AM
I have an air compressor and most of my solar equipment in this compartment. This includes 3000 watt inverter and charge controller for solar panels... I moved my sewer hose ect. under trailer in new storage tubes

.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--BlV2xuUb1Q/VI5E9QanoWI/AAAAAAAAEvY/HMvohPb59Bo/s400/image.jpg

Ozz
12-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Hi,
I made some tubes with PVC Pipe, many use lighter weight stuff, which is fine, I keep a nifty collapsible 8' step ladder in one, and sewer hose on the other.
I have my battery bank up in the storage area with wire shelving up above to store other things. The older I get, the less I like to stoop and retrieve things from that compartment.
As you use the 5er more, things will come to you.

http://i58.tinypic.com/4uv0nl.jpg

jfaberna
12-14-2014, 12:12 PM
I put electrical cables, satellite tripods, etc. hoses. anything that will not freeze. I use to put my generator there, but now keep it in the truck bed.

maximo
12-14-2014, 12:36 PM
I installed a wall of 3/4 inch plywood up next to the 2 12 volt batteries so nothing I put in the storage area could fall into the battery and oil tank area. BBQ stand and propane tank, sewer hose containers go in the storage area.

sambam
12-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Tackle box, tool box, case of water, empties (we have a bottle bill), and all the cleaners, lubes, waxes and garage-type stuff when traveling. Mostly clean it all out when winterizing.

1retired06
12-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Tools

Recumbent
12-14-2014, 03:38 PM
We carry our Honda generator, and things that might pick up dirt/sand such as lawn & bag chairs, entry rug, patio mats, awning sun screen, bottle jack, jack stands, and tow strap. Put Gorilla tape over the floor slits to keep out rain spray when traveling. Will later reorganize for solar and battery bank. Use a divider between the two doors to keep stuff from accidentally sliding over to electrical, hydraulics, and batteries. We have tried many different ways to load up the storage compartments. Sometimes have to think to remember where something is stored after rearranging all that storage space. Have fun. :)

DQDick
12-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Before we went solar we kept our BBQ grill and accessories up there. Sewer hose is under the rig in a PVC corner post and the piece used most frequently is in a walmart container in the basement with caps on both ends. Now our six 6v batteries and the invertor and solar controllers occupy that space.

Artemus Gordon
12-14-2014, 06:16 PM
I use the space to hide things I buy, from my wife!

bigskyjimmy
12-14-2014, 06:39 PM
AHHHHH a Generator of coarse(portable) and lawn chairs and that's it ,I don't like clutter

JandC
12-14-2014, 11:15 PM
I don't like bending over and getting under there to open the door, so I keep all the stuff I don't need that often up there, like my wash buckets, grill, extra water hoses, air compressor, wet vac, etc..

WaltBennett
12-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Have four T-105s, our second sewer hose, a big bottle jack, wood shims, sewer hose support & a bunch of other misc. stuff.

MIMF
12-15-2014, 01:54 AM
Our folding camping bikes and patio carpet.

jlb27537
12-15-2014, 03:31 AM
It varies depending if it is a summer trip out west or down to the RGV for 5 months.

I have a short pin box and when connected to the truck I can only open either compartments only part way. Thus what goes in there is things I do not need when traveling.

This trip south I have the Brinkman Smoker, the Weber gas grill, 20# LP bottle, Weber Charcoal grill, couple large bags of charcoal, folding table for grills, 5 gal bucket full of wash stuff, and a couple of small stack-able boxes of "stuff", 2 boxes of wood chunks for smoker.

Jim

jjackflash
12-15-2014, 06:02 AM
I store my two Honda 2000i's and the 6 gal tank that feeds them. Everything fits perfect!

tweber502
12-15-2014, 11:28 AM
I keep a plastic 6 drawer storage thingy that holds all of my tools, fittings, coax cables etc., a gal. of antifreeze and a gal. of oil for the truck, 4 ton bottle jack, sewer hose (RhinoFlex with end caps so no leaking), air compressor & all my wash/auto detail stuff. Also keep my Pyroclaw log grabber up there. Tim

grayghost03
12-15-2014, 03:19 PM
That area is mine :), wife has the rear bedroom for crafts and sewing, front is for my tools and compressor, etc.

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_561173_0_ff0929aa00ee0122c74675abdaba386e.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/grayghost03/media/Modifications/ToolBox.jpg.html)

Happycamperscolorado
12-16-2014, 02:10 AM
thanks for the replies

trlrboy
12-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Charcoal grill, dutch over stuff, propane grill, fireplace tools.

jfaberna
12-18-2014, 04:15 AM
You can also use the compartment as a threat to misbehaving grandchildren. Just tell them they will sleep there if they don't behave.

awaywego
12-18-2014, 05:33 AM
Well I guess I am the only one who uses it for the Onan generator. I installed it when I bought it and it has come in handy a few times.

Neil.M
12-19-2014, 06:47 PM
4 drawer Craftsman tool box and a separate case for my socket set and a few other things that won't freeze. We are full timing so have a fairly large selection of tools.

Chasnracin
01-03-2015, 09:34 AM
We use ours for firewood and extra chairs and things. Also for the Honda 2000i's when they come along.
Hey Ozz, how did you mount the PVC storage to the frame? (Not trying to Hijack the thread.)

Ozz
01-03-2015, 01:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Chasnracin

We use ours for firewood and extra chairs and things. Also for the Honda 2000i's when they come along.
Hey Ozz, how did you mount the PVC storage to the frame? (Not trying to Hijack the thread.)

First, 6 batteries and bottle jack, wood for jack support.

I took allthread and bent a U around the pipe, marked it and drilled for the allthread, bit washers, double nutted it.

Chasnracin
01-07-2015, 04:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

quote:Originally posted by Chasnracin

First, 6 batteries and bottle jack, wood for jack support.

I took allthread and bent a U around the pipe, marked it and drilled for the allthread, bit washers, double nutted it.

Sounds easy enough! Thanks

bncinwv
01-07-2015, 05:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

Well I guess I am the only one who uses it for the Onan generator. I installed it when I bought it and it has come in handy a few times.

Generator in the generator compartment?? Who woulda thunk?? Oh wait, that is what is in ours also!!;);););)
Bingo

Dam Worker
10-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Yep I gave up some storage in the generator compartment to have the factory put in a 5500 Marquis Gold Generator. I do like AC even if I am not near a 30/50 amp plugin.

Tom Marty

tooth ferry
10-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Store things that I probably won't need when hooked to truck. I don't put gas or propane under my bedroom next to much electrical stuff.

stillcampin
11-02-2015, 06:24 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/13yikvs.jpg

Ice maker, portable frig/freezer, misc

chris199
11-03-2015, 06:01 AM
I avoid putting anything up front either in the basement or in the generator compartment. Just have no need and limiting pin weight. The 3790/91RD has so much rear storage....I only put my grill and grill propane tank up in basement.

Overlord
11-03-2015, 06:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

You can also use the compartment as a threat to misbehaving grandchildren. Just tell them they will sleep there if they don't behave.
.....and don't forget to mention to them that you have an extra roll of duck/duct tape on hand for good measure.

Wheelhouse
11-26-2015, 06:34 AM
We have a 2007 3500rl. When we purchased the unit, it had a Onan generator w/metal surround box, front on passenger side. Drivers side has storage for 2 batteries and extra fluids, greases, small air compressor, etc. The only problem I have had with the generator box being there, was changing the landing gear. I had to cut a small opening in the propane compartment above the box in order to access the drive rod bolt that was between the top of box and under the washer cabinet. Oh yes, I have a wide lift compartment door as opposed to the two compartment doors :)