PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rotation on a Dually

hunts800
10-10-2014, 04:03 PM
I've never had a dually before. Mine has polished wheels, and they say I can only move the tires side-to-side unless I want to dismount the tires. What do those of you with dually's do?

CORattler
10-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Inquiring minds want to know (like me). Although I have never had a dually, I'm interested.

bigskyjimmy
10-10-2014, 08:19 PM
I have had a Dually for 4 years and have never rotated them and have never seen a reason too......Just my experience

HamRad
10-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Hunts800,
I have done both methods. Probably will just watch them closely and rotate only if I see any irregular wear. HamRad

Fjkiss
10-11-2014, 01:10 AM
I do the fronts to inside rear then next the fronts to outside rear each time about 10,000 miles cost about $60-100 mount dismount & ballance

1retired06
10-11-2014, 02:00 AM
Do not rotate. Original tires on my 2011 and only 21K on the truck. Tires look excellent. Age of tire drives replacement for me rather than wear.

steves
10-11-2014, 02:28 AM
I rotate just the front if they need it. By the time you pay for rotation over the years you can buy new tires. I have over 40,000 and tires look good.

Tom S.
10-11-2014, 02:51 AM
There are three possible ways:

1). Side to side w/o using the spare.
2). Side to side including the spare in rotation with the inside rear tires.
3). Complete rotation which involves removing each tire from the rim.

I know of no one who uses #3 unless maybe they own a tire shop. Most people either don't rotate them or use #1.

DonandBonnie
10-11-2014, 03:01 AM
Our Ford owners manual says rotate the front side to side and the rear side to side. Outside dually tire stays on the outside. Rotating front to rear is not recommended. It remains silent on including the spare in the rotation.

hunts800
10-11-2014, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the input. Guess I'll just keep an eye on them and forgo rotation.

rapidrobert
10-11-2014, 03:30 AM
Don't rotate, just replaced mine with 82 thousand miles without ever rotating.

Slufoot733
10-11-2014, 05:13 AM
Never owned a dual wheel truck. However my friend is on his second. In both casea he rotated only the front tires side to side. They did eventually wear out. His rear tires lasted 80K+ miles while the fronts were replaced wtice in that time. Seems to me leaving the rears alone is best. The other issue with most dual wheel trucks in that they are the longest pickup of the bunch. The length, coupled with driving style (i.e. making tight turns often) is what really wears out the front tires. Highway driving is least likely to damage them provided the front end is kept properly aligned. It's the scrub action of the tight turns that really tears them up.

Tom S.
10-11-2014, 05:15 AM
I do the side to side rotation. It gives me a chance to not only look at the tires, but also to check the brakes and other stuff. :D

RichR
10-11-2014, 06:07 AM
My truck is a 4x4 so watch the front tires for cupping and when necessary change front to outside dual,both sides.Yes I pay for it,about 40 bucks

Phil P
10-11-2014, 02:07 PM
We rotate ours every oil change in accordance with the maintenance instruction from the vehicle manufacturer.

All 6 tires wear out at the same time.

Phil P

Hooker
10-12-2014, 04:18 AM
When I had my dually, without fancy wheels, I rotated all seven as depicted in the manual, every 7,500 miles.

Lenny K
10-12-2014, 05:18 AM
I have steel rims and Costco rotates and balances them every 7,500 miles at no cost. I have 15,000 miles on them and all the tires still look like new.

Rob Walters
10-12-2014, 07:45 AM
I have aluminum rims and have mine rotated at Discount Tire at each oil change. They break down all the tires from the rims, rotate, remount and balance them. No Charge since I bought my tires from them and it's part of their package. IMHO the tires just cost too much not to take advantage of a free service.

DonandJudy_12
10-12-2014, 01:16 PM
It may seem to be "overkill", but I do my tire business at a company owned Firestone store. Why? At a company operated facility you can buy a real road hazard policy and lifetime rotation, balance and flat repair- I feel comfortable with this real protection- Naturally, I avail myself of this service several times a year- Incidentally, I rotate spare to right front, right front to left front and left front to spare- Duals are rotated from side to side with inside duals remaining on the inside and outside duals remaining on the outside- My tire of choice is the TransForce HD- The total cost is reasonable and cost effective for us- JMHO- Don

Trailer Trash 2
10-13-2014, 07:00 AM
hunts800 , this article might be helpful to you and any bodt else that's interested in tire rotation for a 6 wheel pick up.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=6+wheel+tire+rotation&qpvt=6+wheel+tire+rotation&FORM=IGRE

wal_mart
10-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Check with tire manufacturer to make sure warranty is not affected with not doing rotation.

hunts800
10-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Well, after reading all the input, guess I'll rotate per the manual. It Is included in the free maintenance program from Chevy for the first 24 months, so I'll insist on dismounting tires where required to complete a 6 wheel rotation. Will have to take a book with me as I suspect this will be a time consuming visit on oil change day! Given that they will be mounting and dismounting tires, I plan to discuss doing 7 tire rotation and bringing the spare into the mix.

I appreciate all the data.

sambam
10-13-2014, 03:48 PM
My manual has a diagram of the proper rotation. I've had my truck 7+ years and never rotated the tires. I replaced them all 2 years ago, however. BTW, my truck has less than 54k as I drive a small car for a daily driver.

Krease
10-17-2014, 03:00 PM
I do not rotate on my dually. I usually get about 50k out of the fronts and 75k out of the rears. They never last more than 8 months anyway...

farmall130
10-22-2014, 07:50 AM
I have a GM dually which has polished aluminum wheels. If you try to rotate the tires, the inside rear wheel is steel. If you put it on the front it will look pretty crappy. Also, I have been told the studs are not long enough if you were to try to put both aluminum wheels on the rear because they are thicker. I agree with everybody else, don't think it's worth the expense to dismount. In 10,250 miles I can see little or no wear on mine....

hunts800
10-22-2014, 09:29 AM
So, went for first oil change at my dealer at 5000 miles. Maintenance is free for first 24K, tire rotation included. They dismounted and remounted all six tires ( they would not include the spare as part of the free maintenance and I did not push it). Took them over two and a half hours to do the whole service, remount and balance tires, etc.

It was free - but kind of time consuming and I wonder how much stress/wear is put on the tires sidewalls by the mount/dismount routine.

Next time I will make an appointment which hopefully will reduce the time involved. I'm still not sure whether it might be better to just leave them alone.

Lenny K
10-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Had 6 tires balanced and rotated at Costco today which took 45 minutes. There was no unusual wear.

WaltBennett
10-29-2014, 04:06 PM
WHY IS THIS HERE?

dieselguy
10-30-2014, 06:48 AM
Why is "what" here?

Tom S.
10-30-2014, 11:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Why is "what" here?

He's referring to the fact that this section is for tires on the Montana's, not the ones on trucks. The thread belongs in the Tow Vehicle section, but there are lots of misplaced posts on this forum and no one seems to be interested in correcting them. :(

Virginia Young
10-30-2014, 11:53 AM
The heeding says "TIRES, Montana Tires." Doesn't that mean TIRES AND Montana Tires? Otherwise, it wouldn't just say "Montana Tires."

Eagleback
10-31-2014, 01:49 AM
Hello.

I have a dually and after talking to a few transporters that use heavy duty trucks with DRW for there jobs. All of them recommended using the steel wheels with or with out simulators so the rotating of the tires can happen to all 6 wheels they have also told me they do not like to even use the simulators in the steel rims because it causes a balancing issue. So when I bought my dually this is my first one and love it over my old 1 ton with SBW I had the dealer replace the premium wheels with steel and got the simulators for it.