PDA

View Full Version : Marathons

daily double
09-16-2014, 03:42 AM
We toured the Arctic Fox factory yesterday looking at a truck camper when I noticed they were putting Goodyear marathons on their trailers. I asked about that and they seemed to be pretty proud of that!

DQDick
09-16-2014, 03:53 AM
Probably not as heavy a trailer.

8.1al
09-16-2014, 04:01 AM
If the trailer is lighter they will use smaller tires with a lower load rating.

Looked at their website and they use the 235/80x16 Marathon on a 10,400 lb trailer

rafael33155
09-16-2014, 04:22 AM
i'm proud i got rid of my marathon tires

davidaf
09-16-2014, 06:17 AM
Aside from the Marathon's what was your overall impression? Not that I want to drive anybody to another brand or site. They were one of the SOBs that we seriously considered but dealer support and lack of room for stacked W/D removed them from the list but they have a very good reputation.

BTW, I like their TCs too but dealer support pushed us to Lance who's factory is a relatively short drive from us.

Art-n-Marge
09-16-2014, 12:56 PM
When I briefly towed trailers commercially, one of the trailers I picked up was an Arctic fox travel trailer (under 10000 GTWR) and during the pre-trip inspection, I checked the torque and inflation and saw Marathons... hmmm. All seemed good, filed the paperwork and went underway. It was getting late and I was running out of "duty hours" so we (DW was with me) only went 100 miles and spent the night at a motel along the route. (Nope, transporters are NOT allowed to camp in the customer's unit).

The next morning, on the pre-trip inspection, one of the tires had a softball sized protrusion! I contacted Arctic Fox for their recommendation (I had already changed out the spare) and they said, "Good Job on catching that and putting on the spare. It's the first failure they had ever had from their factory and you must proceed to the destination". Even my wife didn't believe them but that's what we did. We were able to travel from the motel down to the destination near Sacramento. While DW and I nervous the whole way, we did make it to the target dealer without incident (stayed under 65mph, etc). The dealer that ordered the unit was gonna work out the replacement of the Marathon, i.e. it was no longer my problem and they sent me on my way.

So Marathons can be problematic right from the factory and I'm guessing these were brand new tires that had never been on a rig and the one that failed was only driven 100 miles. I will note that the post-inspection when we parked at the motel, the bulge was NOT there.

daily double
09-17-2014, 02:47 PM
We were looking at truck campers and we did walk through the plant where the 5ers were made. I was disappointed in the TC . I too had heard rave reviews from Arctic Fox owners, but I'll just say they were not up to what I expected. They said the 5ers and TCs were made the same way, with the same materials.

HOOK
09-18-2014, 12:14 AM
My son had them on a boat trailer, less than 4,000 lbs, they failed. Just saying!

richfaa
09-18-2014, 12:50 PM
We hade marathons on two of our TT's of course they were both much lighter than the Montana's and back then they were made in the USA. Did not have a problem.