PDA

View Full Version : Tire Wear

bennettommyd
08-14-2014, 08:35 AM
OK, I'm going to spring for the new tires. I noticed the original tires on our Monty have no wheel weights. I have a weird wear pattern on 2 tires, front drivers side & rear curb side. It's like a cupping on part of the tire, outside, not all around. RV repair place says it could be alignment or shocks and want to sell me some kind of new system. I'm thinking the out of balance could be the biggest issue?
Thoughts???

rohrmann
08-14-2014, 10:35 AM
All of our Chinabombs, which were not balanced, did the same thing. If it was alignment, it would be pretty consistent all the way around. New tires, balanced, no weird wear patterns now.

DQDick
08-14-2014, 02:12 PM
I'd start with new balanced tires and then watch them closely for a few hundred miles.

Carole
08-14-2014, 04:46 PM
I never thought that new tires (G614's) balanced could give anyone such peace of mind, but it certainly did for me.

jlb27537
08-15-2014, 04:43 AM
Tom I would do 2 things. Balance the new tires and check the adjustment of the wheel bearings.

Trailer tires do strange things.

Bradley Dighton
01-30-2015, 08:20 AM
I just had to replace all four tires because of cupping. Took it to Chasis Dynamics in Yuma, AZ and had an alignment done. The front was 1/4 inch out of alignment and the rear was 3/8 inch out of alignment. They also said the U bolts were loose and so were the bearings. Hopefully this will make the new tires last longer than 10,000 miles.

HOOK
01-30-2015, 10:09 AM
If they are Marathons, they very likely have broken belts.

clarkandsheila
01-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Out of balance will result in cupping of any tire. When the heavy spot comes around to the road surface it slams
onto the pavement.
Ever hear a transport truck pass which gives off a whump, whump, whump as it goes by. That's an out of balance tire
usually and really does slam.
On your truck or car you would feel and hear it. On the trailer you can't but the imbalance will wreck a tire if bad enough.

There can be other causes or contributing causes of course but this is one that is easy to remedy and should be done for ANY tire.

First thing though is ensure the tires/wheels are balanced and as mentioned keep an eye on them for odd wear patterns.

Phil P
01-31-2015, 12:32 AM
Hi

Find a tractor trailer shop that works on semi trailer suspension and they can check your alignment. It isnít extremely costly but if they need to correct alignment make sure they talk to the axel manufacture about how to do it first.

Cupping is commonly cause by balance.

Phil P