PDA

View Full Version : Buying larger tires

mdgear
08-06-2014, 04:20 AM
After hearing from several of you, we plan to replace our Marathon ST 235/80/R16 with BF Goodrich Commercial T/A LT235/85/R16.
Now the question is what adjustments (if any) will we need to make so it will tow level after installing the taller tires.
And do we need to buy a 5th tire so the spare will be the exact same size as the other 4?
This forum is an invaluable resource and I really appreciate all those who take time to respond. We look forward to meeting some of you at the Goshen Rally - it will be our 1st
Thanks in advance,
Dwayne & Margaret Gearhart

Joe in Texas
08-06-2014, 05:33 AM
I did the same thing four years ago. The only problem is they will leave marks on the side molding of the trailer at times.

dieselguy
08-06-2014, 05:52 AM
If the tires are but an inch taller, I'd not worry about it, but as said ... they may scuff your plastic fenders a bit on tight turns. There was an incredibly heated debate on the MOC a year or so ago about whether one has to buy a spare the exact same as the four on the ground. I look at a spare as just that ... a tire meant to get you out of a jamb until you can get the damaged tire fixed or replaced. I went with Uniroyal LT's for the four on the ground, but kept the ole Marabomb for the spare as like I said ... I consider it a "spare". The argument of "well the spare will be shorter or taller" holds no weight in agrument with me as each wheel spins independently from one another on our trailers and it just won't matter.

tomNtrisha
08-06-2014, 06:17 AM
I have heard that some road service people will not put a spare on your trailer if it is a different size than other tires on your trailer Tom

dieselguy
08-06-2014, 09:08 AM
I've heard that issue as well, but the discussion seemed isolated to the west coast. I'd simply ask why today's car manufacturers stash one of those "weinie tires" for a spare in your trunk. Will they not put them on either???

DQDick
08-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Great point, be interesting to see what the tow driver says about that. The G614's are a bigger tire and many of us have gone that way without any problems. In my case I have a 614 as the spare for two reasons. First I go places where 614's aren't readily available and so I can put the spare on and wait till I get home to solve the problem. Second, If I have to replace a tire the last thing I want to do is head down the road with a Marathon on there. I'll have already have had a stressful enough day without that worry.

1retired06
08-06-2014, 12:56 PM
We have always gone with the 85 vs 80 and have not had any issues.

Mudchief
08-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Like Dick I have always purchased a spare the same as the other 4 for the same reason he stated.

sambam
08-06-2014, 07:11 PM
I kept one of the Marathons like dieselguy. At about 4 bills a pop, I don't choose to afford the luxury of a 5th G614.

mazboy
08-07-2014, 02:44 AM
I was wondering what the difference was and came across this interesting tire website.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=235-80r16-235-85r16

jcurtis934
08-08-2014, 09:03 AM
When you select your tires, look at the overall diameter of the tire...as well as the load rating. If the overall diameter isn't way off, there shouldn't be any issues. I did buy a new wheel and new tire that matched what I was putting on...because IF I have a problem on the road, I want to have that same level of comfort and not worry about things like exploding tires. John

jlb27537
08-09-2014, 04:51 AM
I replaced my Marathon's 235/80/16 with Duravis R250 235/85/16 and have no rubbing issues.

My spare is still a original Marathon. The difference is size will not matter on a trailer.

waynemoore
08-09-2014, 06:11 AM
Yep I did the same as jib27537. Took delivery on Thursday had the new tires put on on Saturday. Nice to not have to worry about tires.

mdgear
08-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded. It must be true God takes care of fools & small children. When we had Discount Tire install our new BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires on Wednesday (several of you had recommended that tire) there was a diagonal bald spot across the tire. Looking inside after the rims were removed we could see 2 separate oval shaped bubbles about 6-8" long. And yet we made it home from our last trip without incident.

Then, with the new tires mounted, we drove Montana 6 miles to storage. Earlier today - 1 tire completely flat!! So tomorrow we'll be back at Discount Tire and the saga continues.
So, no peace of mind yet, but we're getting there. :)

catskiner
08-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Did you get the metal valve stems?

mdgear
08-11-2014, 04:16 PM
And we did get the metal valve stems. Thanks for checking Catskinner. We're slow, but we are learning

rohrmann
08-12-2014, 06:01 AM
We had a couple of issues with metal stems, the rubber gaskets were not sealing correctly. After replacing, have had no issues.