PDA

View Full Version : Spare Tire Mount Loose

astrungis
06-13-2014, 06:44 AM
Just wanted all of you to know that the spare tire mount underneath is something you should check before going on the road. I had mine unloosen during a cross-country trip. Happen to walk up to my truck and trailer from a distance and noticed the spare close to the ground and tilted back. I went underneath and saw that it was about ready to come off with a couple more unspun revolutions. I turned it counter-clockwise until the top of the tire was tightened on the mount. And for good measure, tighten it again until it was wedged.

After another couple days, again it had loosened. So then I bought a ratchet strap, fed it through the wheel spoke and over the top of the mount, and tightened it to keep it from spinning off. I can't imagine the damage it would do if it came off and bounced off the pavement underneath.[:0]

bncinwv
06-13-2014, 06:47 AM
A long documented problem that one would think would have had a design fix by now. Your solution is the one commonly employed, strapping it up! A good reminder for those who have not heard of the problem before!
Bingo

jcurtis934
06-13-2014, 06:51 AM
And others have stopped carrying the spare tire under there like me. John

Irlpguy
06-13-2014, 07:06 AM
The common fix is to use a ratchet tie down, however some of us like John have removed the tire from under the trailer and mounted it elsewhere. Mine is in my truck bed behind the hitch. Who wants to crawl under the trailer to drag a heavy tire out when needed.
I am fortunate and have a long bed truck so what I did may not be feasible in a SB.

Stupid way to mount a tire, especially when the mount is so cheap, just another thing that could be greatly improved for a couple of extra bucks, but that would effect the bottom line wouldn't it. If you can't move it use the tie down method.

sambam
06-13-2014, 08:12 AM
This is the first I've heard of this problem. When I was doing my tire swap in March, I used the spare temporarily and while putting it back, was wondering how reliable the mount is. I'll be watching it for sure. Both ideas (strap and removal) are good options.

1retired06
06-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Guess we are just lucky, never been an issue in all the years We have had Montana units. Another thing to be aware of!

psomers
06-13-2014, 08:46 AM
I don't know the manufacture of Montana lifts but my previous SOB unit was manufactured in Dayton, Oh. Can't remember the name of company. SOB was a Sunnybrook and the spare tire lift had to be really tight. The instructions was to lift until resistance then with a lot of muscle continue until you heard it click. Very much like click torque wrench.

WeBeFulltime
06-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Two Montanas over a 7 year period and never this problem. Probably past due for this one. Will get ratchet strap for it tomorrow.

Art-n-Marge
06-13-2014, 04:31 PM
I've had my Monty for eight years and it's something I've been checking for the past three years or so, since I've heard others have had problems. So far, things are solid. Must be another one of those things that manufacturers cheapened up on things up on newer rigs to save a few more profits.

Last time I checked was April, since I just put all new Maxxis all around including the spare. Haven't done any trips since, but I'll be watching things.

mamestra
06-13-2014, 05:43 PM
I think that it depends on the type of road that you are driving on. Took my Montana across Canada then down to Texas and then back to BC no problem. Then going from Palm Springs to Yuma last winter and went over a lot of earthquake heaves where the trailer was literally going up and down and arrived to find my spare hanging just above the pavement. Since then I have more firmly attached it.

psomers
06-14-2014, 02:47 AM
another thing to be aware of is how tight the cable gets wound up. If you unwind a lot of cable don't wind any back up with out having some pull on the cable. Any of the first few turns being wound up loose will eventually slip and let tire drop.
The mechanism is a gear being driven by a worm gear. Worm gears will turn a gear but a gear has a had time turning a worm gear.
I've had to tighten ours a couple of times but stays tight now. My guess is loose wraps.

BB_TX
06-14-2014, 05:07 AM
I put a little extra "snug" on mine when I first read about this. But in 7 yrs has never loosened.

astrungis
06-17-2014, 02:57 AM
I am always surprised on just how different our experiences are with our Montanas. I, on one hand seem to be plagued with cabinet doors/drawers popping open, a spare tire loosening, dishes breaking yet others seem to have peaceful journeys with no ill-effects. Just to let you know, I travel at a speed of no more than 65 mph and don't aim for potholes. However, I have driven on my share of bad roads where my cavity fillings just about fall out. I travel back and forth across country every summer with a 1,500 mile winter trip every year. So I do use it extensively. Happy Traveling!

Krease
06-17-2014, 03:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by astrungis

I am always surprised on just how different our experiences are with our Montanas. I, on one hand seem to be plagued with cabinet doors/drawers popping open, a spare tire loosening, dishes breaking yet others seem to have peaceful journeys with no ill-effects. Just to let you know, I travel at a speed of no more than 65 mph and don't aim for potholes. However, I have driven on my share of bad roads where my cavity fillings just about fall out. I travel back and forth across country every summer with a 1,500 mile winter trip every year. So I do use it extensively. Happy Traveling!

I think one day you may find that the speed in which you take your corners is what causes your dishes to break and drawers to pop open. I'm no expert, but I learned quickly when I drove a beer delivery truck that if you didn't take your turns slow and steady(not jerking the wheel), you would be cleaning up broken beer that fell off carts/pallets. Just because you "can" take turns quickly, doesn't mean you should. But who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong.