PDA

View Full Version : uneven tire wear

edandjudyz
06-11-2014, 04:35 PM
We have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel, model 2955RL. Upon returning from Florida this spring, I noticed extreme tire wear on the inside of the rear tire on the left ( driver side ) of the unit. I have talked with a number of people about this. Some have suggested that I might have a bent axle, while others think it may be a camber issue. Can the camber be adjusted on this 5th wheel? I took a brief look underneath and couldn't seem to find a way this could be done. Any thoughts? Is it possible to adjust the alignment?

woodtic
06-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Could be alignment. First measure center to center the wheel hubs on each side. 1/4" differance is acceptable. If more than that you may want to measure the length of each of the 4 leaf springs. This will tell you if one or more of the springs have lost their arch causing the misalignment. If all that checks out then you may have a bent spindle or axle. Leaf springs are pretty cheap and simple to replace.

Also check your shackles and equalizer to make sure they are intact and opperation properly.

Hope this helps get you started...

rohrmann
06-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Another issue that was brought up a while back was the u-bolts connecting the axle to the springs coming loose because they weren't torqued properly. May be something to check also.

Phil P
06-11-2014, 11:48 PM
Hi

You adjust the Camber by bending the axel so the “bent” axel would change the Camber.

Phil P

pineranch
06-12-2014, 03:25 AM
Find a business that does big truck alignments, ask if they do RV's. They can tell if the problem can be corrected or new axles are in your future.
Mike

Carl n Susan
06-12-2014, 01:00 PM
You most likely have a bent spindle or axle.

Opinions vary on bending the axle back into spec. Some say no problem (assuming you can find someone to do it) and others say once they bend, they will just keep doing it.

You have a 2006 2955RL which came with 5,200 lb. axles. I had a 2005 2955RL. What I did was replace the axles with the 7,000 lbs ones Everything is the same *except* the wall thickness of the 7K axle is significantly thicker the the 5.2K one. You unbolt you backing plates/brakes for the old axles and bolt them on the new axles. The spindle sizes are all the same so your existing bearings and drums also work. Easy peasy!!! Shop around (not Lippert) for the Dexter axles. I think I paid (this was 4-5 years ago) about $130 each.

While you are at it, change over to wet bolts if you haven't already done this. Be sure to install them so the zerk is on the inside of the springs. It is much easier to lube that way.

Crossthread
06-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Another question. Is the tire wear even all the way around the tire? If not,it could be tire separation. you can remove the wheel and roll it on a smooth surface, If it doesn't tip over ,I'd bet on an alignment issue. Bill

Hooker
06-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Before you go checking axles, spindles, alignments, camber, U bolts, springs, etc...check the easiest thing first, the tire. I had your symptoms and it was a bad tire.

Dmax07
06-24-2014, 04:00 PM
I have a similar problem, 2006 3500RL both rear tires wear evenly on the inside edge. Front tires show no wear.
How do you check camber on axle? What should the measurement be?

dieselguy
06-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Unless you have the equipment to put on a wheel for alignment purposes ... you'll be hard pressed to check camber yourself. You can do a rough check with a carpenters level with your unit sitting on level ground. Place the level vertical on the outside of your tire ... you should be tilted out at the top around 3/4 of a degree on the street side and around 1/2 degree on the curb side. This is an extremely rough checking procedure, but if you find the tires tilted in at the top any at all ... you have a problem.

scattershot
06-26-2014, 07:32 AM
I have the same model, same year Montana, and I had the same problem. The axles were not properly aligned at the factory.

farmboy
06-28-2014, 12:03 PM
I have the same model but an '05. When it happened to mine it was the shackles and bolts all worn out. It also had to have new springs.

Overlord
06-28-2014, 03:56 PM
A combination of the brakes on one end of the axle are not working, and on the other end of the same axle they are working, and you also have worn shackles & bushings, it can cause this problem. Under strong braking, it will skew the axle and scruff off the tire.

mboys
08-15-2016, 07:04 AM
Exact same issue with us on a 2006 RK3000. Newer tires with extreme, I mean extreme wear on the left rear tire on the inside only. I was having brake wiring problems and the guy checking it out just happened to mention a had some wear to my rear tire. Well, his definition of some wear was WIRE SHOWING on the inside of the tire. Replaced tires in AK and now 2k miles later both rear leaf springs broke at the same time. Not sure if there is any relation the this but sure sounds like there could be something related to springs/or even the u-bolt issue.

Tfthorp
08-15-2016, 09:59 AM
I had same issue it was a broken leaf in the spring on the opposite side that caused the mis alignment. Severe wear on left tire not to bad on right side.