PDA

View Full Version : tire stems

HamRad
05-20-2014, 11:23 PM
As we were leaving our house today a couple of my trailer tires were low. A Les Schwab just opened around the corner from us so I pulled in and asked them to air up the tires. When they finished the airing we listened and you could hear a small hiss coming from the area of the stem. So off came the wheels and new metal valve stems were installed. So far so good.

I know it is heresy to run the Marathons but I've inspected the very closely and I do have a TPMS. Hopefully they will last me for a while. Happy Travels, Dennis and Mary K

bncinwv
05-21-2014, 02:19 AM
A brave man, truly a brave man!!;);):D
Bingo

nosticks
05-21-2014, 02:39 AM
Running Marathons with a TPMS proves, against scientific evidence to the contrary, that the speed of sound is faster than that of light. You hear the explosion and seconds later the TPMS lights up telling you which tire, this time.

HamRad
05-21-2014, 03:06 AM
Bingo and Dave,
Thanks for the words of "encouragement". I suspect somewhere down the road I will pay the price so many others have. But then I've always been a "beater of dead horses". :) Dennis

sambam
05-21-2014, 03:23 AM
Caveat emptor. Your Montana is one of the heavier ones. Some others here use the Marathons without problems. Maybe you'll be one of them. I just don't like the odds that someday, somewhere.... Good luck.

DQDick
05-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Actually, when you consider the number of Marathons out there on Monty's and other heavy trailers, it's probably a good bet that properly cared for they will last. That said, I have enough problems watching the road in front of me without looking every few seconds behind me and I enjoy worrying about what's going on on the Nascar channel much moe than worrying about my tires while I'm going down the road. Good luck and to each his own.

richfaa
05-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Three of the 4 OEM valve stems on our 13 Big Sky failed in the first 1500 miles. Replaced all of them with quality stems the TPMS saved our butts in every case.

mtpocket2
05-21-2014, 12:00 PM
When you look in the mirror and see that pretty trail of plastic, sheet metal, misc hardware and cars swerving to avoid your debris trail you will wish you had better tires. When you get out to look where there is hardly any shoulder and 18 wheelers are passing by you at 70 mph less than 24 inches away you will KNOW you should have bought new tires. Wont even get into the insurance troubles. Got to agree with Bingo. Brave, very brave.

WaltBennett
05-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Had Marathons on our old TT for over five years and they were fine (it only grossed at 10k though). When we bought our '10 Montana, I found the dates on the tires were all in 2008, so they got replaced right away. IMHO the problems many have reported are a combination of tire age and the heavy weight of our Montys. I'll bet your tires are at least four years old now and I'll also bet you're looking for trouble.

richfaa
05-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Remember the Missions. We had them on our 06 3400 that we put a lot of miles on. We ran them over 10K miles then chickened out and got better tires. Friend with a boat and trailer bought them and ran them for a few more years without issue although he was somewhat lighter than us.
One of the reasons we got the Big Sky was the OEM G614 tires.

Dennis old friend you have had those tires long enough...get some better tires. We would like the pleasure of getting together with you again.