PDA

View Full Version : Load star tires

TAKPAK
01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
In "stumbling" around on the internet, I came across a trailer supply site that sells Goodyears and also noticed a trailer tire called "Load Star" tire. It is a ST235/85/16 F tire, and as indicated, is an F rated tire, with loading of up to 3960 pounds each. Anyone heard of these, or used them?

bncinwv
01-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Here is what I could find, I assume since some sizes are the same, that it is the same tire, but not sure:

Complaint Listing (http://www.vehicletire.com/Complaint/Kenda/Karrier+ST+Radial)

I think they have those infamous words "Made in China" on the side, but I did read where they could also be made in Taiwan. Internet research yielded mixed reviews, which can be troublesome to me. Think I will stick with "Made in USA" but that is just my opinions.

Bingo

steelpony5555
01-22-2014, 04:23 PM
If it is truly an F rated tire can you imagine how hard that tire must be..

DQDick
01-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Don't know about their history, but did see the damage one caused on a rig at the Elkhart Campground. They're expensive, but I'll be sticking with my G614's. Sometimes price is for a reason.

Irlpguy
01-22-2014, 06:15 PM
You need to pay attention to the load rating of 3960 lbs at 110 psi. This is a higher load rating than the G614 and yet it is only rated as a "F" or 12 ply tire.

They are made offshore and sometimes have the Karrier name as well. I think I will also stick to the Goodyear G614, there is lots of proof of the quality of these tires.

I think they are on my buddies new SOB and he had one blow out and damage the side of his new unit, I have not seen it yet but will in a weeks time when I arrive in Yuma.

Besides they are still an ST tire and only rated for 65 mph.

steelpony5555
01-23-2014, 03:03 AM
In searching the internet it does seem they have their share of blowouts and makes you wonder. Here is a tire that is now well within the weight of most 5ers and is F rated 12 ply and should handle anything... But it's still failing. I know a lot depends on owner maintenance, but you don't see the number of failures with LT or G614's. I'm sure there are lots of owners of those tires that do not check pressures and dates, and I for one do not stay under 65 mph. May be an indication to stick with the proven. I think too if you put that tire on a lighter trailer you are gonna shake it apart. The more plys and higher weight ratings means a stiffer harder tire. I believe in overkill too but sometimes it can be a bad thing.

Hooker
01-23-2014, 09:34 AM
As as soon as I saw "Made In China" my decision would be made.

fauch
01-23-2014, 04:42 PM
ST tires: speed rating limited at 65 mph. ST tires also get hot if not kept at max pressure.