PDA

View Full Version : switch to 7.5 16 tire from Marathons

Superdave
11-26-2013, 04:22 AM
Still dealing with a Marathon blowout. My research on the Montqna site shows that opinions are all over the place on what to use to replace them. My 3455Sa is a larger Montana and it makes sense to consider a G rated tire rather than go back to any E rated trailer tire.

My local trusted tire guy suggested going to a standard trailer tire size 7.5 x 16 as used on commercial hot shot haulers trailers. Now in
Texas we know how loaded and how fast these trailers are on the highways. The tire he sells to all the oil field service companies here in the Barnett Shale are G rated, 14 ply and about $ 170 each. They are a little under 1 inch taller in diameter and weigh a LOT more than a Marathon.

Why not use this type of tire rather than a light truck or G 614 ?
In dealing with Goodyear , I have been advised that I cannot buy a G 614 unless I go to a Big Truck specialty store in north Fort Worth. Regular goodyear stores can't sell them. And they are expensive.

Anybody else go to the 7.5 truck tire ?

K0LCB
11-26-2013, 04:34 AM
Will they fit your wheels?

Superdave
11-26-2013, 05:27 AM
Yes

DQDick
11-26-2013, 08:03 AM
That's funny, because my 614's came from a regular Goodyear store.

pineranch
11-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Are you positive those tires will fit your wheels. Some members have those tires and had to replace their wheels.
Mike

Superdave
11-26-2013, 11:15 AM
We had the wheel while we were looking at the tires . I guess we can double check.

Irlpguy
11-26-2013, 11:51 AM
My G614's came from a Goodyear tire dealer, although he does handle large truck tires his largest market is the car/truck market, they ordered them in from the warehouse and were here the next morning.

The rims on our Montana's are 16 x 6", the G614 is recommended for a 6.5 rim but will work fine on the 6" rim.

IMO I do not see how you could put a 7.5" wide tire on a 6" rim. I would be interested in the brand and actual size of the tire being recommended by your trusted tire guy. Are they LT tires or ST.

Superdave
11-26-2013, 12:38 PM
7.50 x 16 is vitually identical to a 235 / 85/ 16 which is what the G 614 s are . The 7.50 is the section width , not a rim measurement.

I guess my lack of u derstanding is coming from the practise of talking about how the E load rated tires are not sufficient for the heavier Montanas, yet people go and buy another E rated tire and put them back on.

When you get to G load rated 14 ply tires, you are getting into a smaller. Version of a big truck tire. The 7.50 will have a little narrower tread width , but other than that , about the same as the 235 metric's diameter . It will be a lot more tire the the lt e rated tires.

I will spend tomorrow on this and will advise if I hear or learn anything different.

hunts800
11-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I looked into both options and while the G614s would fit on my wheels, the 7.5 would require new wheels according to the dealer I was talking to. I got my 614s from a Goodyear truck tire dealer but only because of the price. They were available through several other car tire stores, including Camping World. I now have roughly 25K on the 614s and they still look like new.