PDA

View Full Version : Lost one of our Girls

seahunter
07-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Hello to all,

I have been out of touch with the forum for a couple months as I have had a couple surgeries, and actually have one more in about a week. So, I've been laying pretty low.

Anyway, enough about me... We never had children, and our pets have always been our "kids". Sophie, the one sitting in the avatar, started to act different a couple months ago. We treated for a couple symptoms which seemed to take care of things. Then she kept getting worse. Long story short, we took her in for an ultrasound about two weeks ago, and she had cancer. The darn cancer by the time we discovered it, took her health away extremely fast. We had to put her to sleep just a week ago. She was thirteen, and since I don't work, I have been with her and Carmen since they were both puppies. As all the pet people know, it really hurts to say goodbye, especially for me when we have to make that choice to euthanize.

I think Ron and Cathie (CATCRAW) are the only MOCers to have met Sophie, but we wanted to share this with the MOC family. We really miss our girl. It is also hard to see poor Carmen this past week. We can tell she misses her, and she has been just as sad and depressed as we have I think.

Greg and Kris

DQDick
07-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Will be praying for your upcoming surgery.

seahunter
07-09-2013, 12:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Sorry to hear about your loss. Will be praying for your upcoming surgery.

Thanks very much Dick, I appreciate it.

CORattler
07-09-2013, 03:02 PM
We understand your pain. We miss our "kids" terribly but now have a toy Aussie that keeps us both entertained and busy. You'll always have a hole in your soul that will never be filled but remember all the good times and love that you shared. It will bring you comfort and solace in the days ahead.
We wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

HamRad
07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Greg and Kris,
We are sorry to hear of your loss. It is tough anytime a pet is lost but must be especially rough in your situation. We wish you the best in your upcoming health issue. Dennis and Mary Kay

K0LCB
07-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Greg and Kris, you have my sympathy on the loss of your fur baby! Life is tough, but it goes on

seahunter
07-09-2013, 08:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

We understand your pain. We miss our "kids" terribly but now have a toy Aussie that keeps us both entertained and busy. You'll always have a hole in your soul that will never be filled but remember all the good times and love that you shared. It will bring you comfort and solace in the days ahead.
We wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Thanks Jay, I really appreciate the kind words.

seahunter
07-09-2013, 08:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Greg and Kris,
We are sorry to hear of your loss. It is tough anytime a pet is lost but must be especially rough in your situation. We wish you the best in your upcoming health issue. Dennis and Mary Kay

Thanks Dennis - Yeah, its been a rough few months with my issues and then Sophie. We haven't even been able to take the trailer out since December. I really wanted to take her to the beach one last time, but she went downhill so fast we just weren't able to make that happen.

seahunter
07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

Greg and Kris, you have my sympathy on the loss of your fur baby! Life is tough, but it goes on

Thank you Leonard. Wow, you got your hands full with three Yorkies! Notice we have the same trailer - how are you liking your front living room floor plan?

Mrs. CountryGuy
07-09-2013, 09:28 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. Our fur kids are so special to us. This has helped some of us through those tough times, maybe it will give you a bit of solace:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

BusyCarol
07-10-2013, 04:34 AM
I am still grieving the loss of my Gawain (I had him for 17 years) but know that he is in a better place! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

snfexpress
07-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Love that poem. Was helpful when I had to make the painful decision to euthanize Captain last year...

Sorry for your loss and wishing you luck in your upcoming surgery.

Parts Ed
07-10-2013, 05:37 AM
Greg, we will be making that travel to the vet clinic I imagine in the next 6 months with our oldest Doxie Madison. And have had to make that decision before and it is a hard thing to do. Our hearts go out to you and Kris.

seahunter
07-10-2013, 06:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

So sorry to hear of your loss. Our fur kids are so special to us. This has helped some of us through those tough times, maybe it will give you a bit of solace:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

Thanks Mrs. CountryGuy - that Rainbow Bridge is comforting. We've got a couple waiting for us now and I hope they are safe and healthy.

seahunter
07-10-2013, 06:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

I am still grieving the loss of my Gawain (I had him for 17 years) but know that he is in a better place! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Thank you Carol, we appreciate your support.

seahunter
07-10-2013, 06:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Love that poem. Was helpful when I had to make the painful decision to euthanize Captain last year...

Sorry for your loss and wishing you luck in your upcoming surgery.

Thank you Michael. Should be "routine", but it's always nice to have someone pulling for you!

seahunter
07-10-2013, 06:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by Parts Ed

Greg, we will be making that travel to the vet clinic I imagine in the next 6 months with our oldest Doxie Madison. And have had to make that decision before and it is a hard thing to do. Our hearts go out to you and Kris.

Thanks Ed and Rebecca. I'm really sorry you're facing the same situation. As you know, just love little Madison all you can, and enjoy your time together. We will be thinking of you.

Greg and Kris

jjackflash
07-10-2013, 09:22 AM
So sorry for your loss,we lost our second Lab Maggie last Oct. and the hardest thing to do was making that decision.
We had the vet. Come to the house And as I held Maggie in my lap and hugged her she was put to sleep.
This is something I'll always remember,I wanted to be with her the very last minute,she was always there for us.
Our prayers are with you and of course sweet Sophie.
Jack

seahunter
07-10-2013, 09:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

So sorry for your loss,we lost our second Lab Maggie last Oct. and the hardest thing to do was making that decision.
We had the vet. Come to the house And as I held Maggie in my lap and hugged her she was put to sleep.
This is something I'll always remember,I wanted to be with her the very last minute,she was always there for us.
Our prayers are with you and of course sweet Sophie.
Jack

Thanks Jack. Very sorry to hear about your Maggie too. We totally understand being with her until the end. I know some people just can't be a part of the final putting to sleep, but we felt just as you - she had always been there for us so we didn't want her to be alone and scared when it happened and we wanted and needed to be there for her. We too held her to the very end, knowing we had to do what was best for Sophie and not for us... Our long-time vet was so gentle and good with her which helped a lot. She also really helped Kris and I as she knew how hard it was on us. We felt she was just as sad as we were almost.

seahunter
07-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Here is our Sophie in her younger days. She used to run for fun and sport. Whippets are like sled dogs, they want to be doing what they were bred for, and for Whippets that was chasing anything that remotely resembled a bunny including a plastic bag!

Dreams on the Sofa, SC, FCh, SR, OTRM

"Sophie"

SC - Senior Courser
FCh - Field Champion
SR – Sprint Racer
OTRM - Oval Track Racer of Merit

...and of course best of all, a great little companion.

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_502776_0_59f2460b062aae1641d6afdcfaf975c9.jpeg

I wasn't going to open up the can of worms about my medical, so I won't... only to say the other reason this hurts so much is Sophie was not only our beautiful little Sophie... but for the last several years she also helped me out as a Service Dog. I just decided I would share that in honor of her because she was such a special dog.

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_502776_1_159a231a7a4923893b74b4716a8b543a.jpg

PatnRich
07-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Sorry for your loss. Our furkids are very much family.

jjackflash
07-11-2013, 06:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Here is our Sophie in her younger days. She used to run for fun and sport. Whippets are like sled dogs, they want to be doing what they were bred for, and for Whippets that was chasing anything that remotely resembled a bunny including a plastic bag!

Dreams on the Sofa, SC, FCh, SR, OTRM

"Sophie"

SC - Senior Courser
FCh - Field Champion
SR – Sprint Racer
OTRM - Oval Track Racer of Merit

...and of course best of all, a great little companion.

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_502955_0_59f2460b062aae1641d6afdcfaf975c9.jpeg

I wasn't going to open up the can of worms about my medical, so I won't... only to say the other reason this hurts so much is Sophie was not only our beautiful little Sophie... but for the last several years she also helped me out as a Service Dog. I just decided I would share that in honor of her because she was such a special dog.

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_502955_1_159a231a7a4923893b74b4716a8b543a.jpg

Beautiful girl Greg,so pretty !

seahunter
07-11-2013, 10:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by PatnRich

Sorry for your loss. Our furkids are very much family.

Thanks PatnRich, I appreciate it. That's a cute little girl you've got there!

seahunter
07-11-2013, 10:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

[quote]Originally posted by seahunter

Beautiful girl Greg,so pretty !

Thank you Jack - we sure thought so.... I've been looking at some photos and videos of her which of course is difficult, but just makes me realize how many great years of companionship she gave us.

kab449
07-14-2013, 05:19 PM
So sorry for your loss. Having a Yorkie and a Maltese I wonder occasionally how I will handle this situation. They are the only two dogs I have ever had and they are 7 years old now.
Are you planning to get another? I'm not sure if I will as I get too attached.
Hope everything goes ok with your surgery.

seahunter
07-15-2013, 08:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by kab449

So sorry for your loss. Having a Yorkie and a Maltese I wonder occasionally how I will handle this situation. They are the only two dogs I have ever had and they are 7 years old now.
Are you planning to get another? I'm not sure if I will as I get too attached.
Hope everything goes ok with your surgery.

Hi Keith, nice to hear from you. I hadn't had dogs since I was a kid, so it had been many years for me - and yes, you do definitely get attached. It is amazing how close you get. We have also had to put to sleep two wonderful cats and it was just as difficult. When I have gone through it with the cats, I think like many, you swear you will never get another one and go through the incredible pain again. With time, you never forget them, but you miss the great companionship of the little guys. So, over the years we did rescue two more cats and still have them.

Some people say they get another puppy or kitten right away to fill the hole. I know for me, it's just too soon. Even before Sophie got sick, we had talked about the possibility of another dog, so I'm sure down the road we will think about it again.

Rather than a puppy, we have also discussed rescuing a little older one that people may not want or be able to keep for some reason. As far as Whippets, which we would probably go with, people usually know what they're getting into as far as the breed, etc. - so luckily there are not that many in a rescue situation you hear about (so not a lot of unwanted dogs) and it is a small community.

Sorry, getting a bit long-winded. I guess I would sum up that yes the pain of losing a little companion is great, but the reward of having them is far greater. We will always be "animal people", and time will let us know when it's time to welcome in a new companion.

stiles watson
07-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Pets you love get under your skin. Losing them really hurts. Sorry, you're having to experience this inevitable loss. Memories keep them near.

seahunter
07-15-2013, 01:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Pets you love get under your skin. Losing them really hurts. Sorry, you're having to experience this inevitable loss. Memories keep them near.

Thank you Stiles, appreciate the kind words...

How are you liking that Platinum Eco? [:p]