PDA

View Full Version : Best Friends Animal Sanctuary

Flymutt
07-01-2013, 08:36 AM
I recently posted this as a follow up in the Campground section but decided that it really fit better here since it ended up being more about animals than the actual camping spot.
Thanks

Update on our visit:
We spent three nights at one of the two (that's right only two) full hook-up RV spaces. It was very quiet and the fist night there was no one in the other RV site. The first day we went on a tour of the 3500 (+/-)acre sanctuary. Wow! what a place! They have horses, pigs, cats, dogs, birds and other woodland creatures. This isn't your typical rescue center with just one or two buildings. In Cat World, where we volunteered, there were 10 buildings and the Dog area was just as large. Some pets are adoptable but for some/most this is the "place of last resort". We volunteered the second day and should have stayed for at least two more days. They get a lot of volunteers here and treated us with a huge amount of respect and appreciation. If you are ever near this place I would highly recommend taking a tour and/or possibly volunteering. It will be worth your time

subra1228
07-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the update - Best Friends is definitely on our list of places to visit.

halfwright
07-02-2013, 03:37 AM
When you are voluteering there, do you still pay for the RV site? We will be going through there in September and it looks like an interesting place.

DQDick
07-02-2013, 04:02 AM
I guess I'm out of it, where exactly is it located?

jjackflash
07-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Here ya go Dick. http://bestfriends.org

DQDick
07-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Cool! Thanks.

Flymutt
07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by halfwright

When you are voluteering there, do you still pay for the RV site? We will be going through there in September and it looks like an interesting place.

Yes, you do. If you join BFAS the campsite runs $35/night (full hook-ups) but all proceeds go to the shelter. I think the minimum to join is $25. They have cats there that like to go for walks! It was a new experience walking a cat on a leash :).

Icehouse
07-02-2013, 04:11 PM
We have a very dear friend who used to work at Best Friends. Amazing organization!