PDA

View Full Version : First Long Journey

gilljr
06-20-2013, 03:29 AM
Just returned after 6,900 mile trip. Last stop Reno, had to turn around after losing awning and Gill taking a nasty fall. Getting ready to head to Bear Creek in Ashville, N.C. Any MOC'S going there over 4th

moutard2
06-20-2013, 06:41 AM
Was your awning electric or manual?

DQDick
06-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems. Hope Gill is fine and this trip is a joy for you.

gilljr
06-20-2013, 08:17 AM
awning is electric, Gill is fine, looks like a 5 yr old with his banged up knee

Art-n-Marge
06-20-2013, 08:48 AM
I'll be in Reno without the rig around the 4th visiting my retired BIL, but you'll be in NC (beautiful country, too). That's a LOT of towing. Have fun and keep safe!

Sorry to hear about the mishaps, but it does sound like overall things are going well.

Regarding your MOC name. Are gilljr and Gill the same person? Only curious that it's not the son writing about banged up dad. :) I like both my knees but if I banged up my right knee things would be difficult since DW refuses to drive with the rig attached and there's just the two of us.

WeBeFulltime
06-20-2013, 09:24 AM
What do you mean about "losing" your electric awning?

gilljr
06-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Gill & gilljr are one and the same, electric awning blew off in a pop up storm

Rondo
06-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Apparently you had your awning out while stopped at a campground. I hope so anyway. That is one problem with the electric awnings and even the manual ones. If they are out and the wind comes up, they tend to act like a parachute and billow. I've seen several torn off during a storm and end up two or three campers over. Best bet is to retract if you even think there might be a storm. If it happened during driving down the road, you've got a problem!

Art-n-Marge
06-20-2013, 07:59 PM
I thought these automatic ones had a sensor that detected too much wind and would retract automatically. This sounds like a nice feature if it works reliably. You just have to remember not to attach anything to the awning so that it doesn't get rolled up in it.
Or maybe this is an optional feature.

When it's windy a manual awning will parachute and billow, too. That's what happens to mine. Because of this happenstance we no longer attach anything to the awning, because when the wind picks up, you wanna be able to retract it pretty quick.

richfaa
06-21-2013, 12:21 AM
No Art the new ones do not have the sensor and from what we have observed we would not rely on the sensors to prevent the awning from blowing away. When we leave the camper for a period of time we just push the rocker switch and retract the awning.
That method works best.

grayghost03
06-23-2013, 03:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

No Art the new ones do not have the sensor and from what we have observed we would not rely on the sensors to prevent the awning from blowing away. When we leave the camper for a period of time we just push the rocker switch and retract the awning.
That method works best.

X2 Always.