PDA

View Full Version : internet access on the road

richard66
03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Which carriers and what devices are being used/recommended to access the internet by our members?

Gkerlin
03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
I use Verizon. I'm currently using a mifi 4510L.

I also have AT&T on one of my iPads. The other is Verizon.

I work full time from the camper and travel 6 months out of the year so connectivity to me is not a convenience - it is critical.

I've been very happy with Verizon. This winter I've had 4g most of the time. I have an external antenna plug 3 and 4g boosters in case they are needed.

AT&T is awful. Many times I have no connectivity or phone on AT&T but my Verizon is about 98% reliable. We spend a lot of time boon docking in out of the way places and still have good signals.

drsmart
03-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Depending on your needs, we use Internet on the go.
$45 provides 4Gig use whenever or 8Gig use within 30 days.
Wifi card is about $80.

Internet-go.com

No contract.

Dave

DonandBonnie
03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Been using Verizon for about five years now. Had it in the stick house where we had no cable or land line and now in the Big Sky. We used the MiFi until last week when we were due for our bi-annual upgrade. Now we have a 890L. While we loved the MiFi this new gizmo has far better connectivity and speed. As I type this we are in rural Georgia with two bars on the cell phones. The performance is the same as four bars on the MiFi.

ols1932
03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Yes, depending on what you want to spend, that's the answer. There are a lot of good systems available. We have our own High Speed Internet Satellite System. It's Starband with a rolling 5 GB 7-day rolling bandwidth. System cost us $1,900 for equipment in 2008 and $106 a month for usage. It gives us our own secure Wi-Fi system.

Orv

8.1al
03-22-2013, 04:53 PM
We use Millenicom, $69.99/month for 20GB. No contract and this is a flat fee,no extras,taxes,etc. It uses the Verizon network countrywide

Mrs. CountryGuy
03-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Use the same as 8.1. Pretty much has kept us connected except for Death Valley and this canyon we ended up camped in near Calico the Ghost Town.

We have Sprint iPhones and those connected in the canyon. I have an iPad with 1 gig of Verizon (pure Verizon) on it, after 1.5 days in the canyon, it sorta connected to the net.

For us, it has worked well to have some Verizon and some Sprint, seems if there is an issue with one, there is not with the other.

We run the Millenicom with a router to talk to both computers, and anything else wifi, like the Wii or other devices. And, we use a cheap plastic tiny antenna that we put in Tana's windows.

Unlike many other MOC members, we have had no luck with Wilson antenna. For us, it is a Fail. I have NO idea why, just don't seem right! LOL

I am totally addicted to the internet, blogging, social media, the MOC, I don't do "no connectivity" well at all. Like I said, except for the rare ocassion, I am on the net and chattering and working away with this set up.

Recumbent
03-22-2013, 06:07 PM
We have Verizon Hotspot with 5 Gig data and pay $50 per month with which we use HP laptop and Ipad. Also, have Droid with unlimited Verizon phone and internet use, and a two flip phones(one is stick house number at $19 per month) for talking and texting. The entire package cost $251 per month and seems on the high end for cost. Contract ends in June 2013 and we plan to drop one flip phone and hopefully find a plan that is a bit less costly. We have been pleased with the connectivity using Verizon.

DQDick
03-22-2013, 07:41 PM
We used Mellenicom until we became convinced that in some of the very rural areas we spend a lot of time in that Verizon was throttling us when their towers became crowded with their regular customers. We went to a Verizon Jet Pack and whether we were correct or not we are now twice as fast sitting in the same locations and no more freezing on a particular website. Not saying we're right, it's just how it works for us and we are normally on the far end of Verizon 3G coverage.

WeBeFulltime
03-23-2013, 01:50 AM
We are also very happy with our Verizon Jetpack Mifi 4620L. Has worked great for a year now.

Larry-P
03-23-2013, 04:14 AM
We have the latest Verizon JETPACK MIFI5510L 4G.
Works great & much better than any of the previous Verizon
hotspots.

8.1al
03-23-2013, 05:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

We used Mellenicom until we became convinced that in some of the very rural areas we spend a lot of time in that Verizon was throttling us when their towers became crowded with their regular customers. We went to a Verizon Jet Pack and whether we were correct or not we are now twice as fast sitting in the same locations and no more freezing on a particular website. Not saying we're right, it's just how it works for us and we are normally on the far end of Verizon 3G coverage.

That's interesting Dick, I wonder if there is any way to find out what their policy is regarding bandwith purchased from them like Millenicom does

CATCRAW
03-23-2013, 07:25 AM
We use Verizon - our cell phone and Tablet act as Mobile Hotspots so we can connect our computers and use the data plan from our phone and tablet when WiFi is not available. Works pretty well for us... I like that I can control the data plan and add and suspend whenever we don't need it. I usually keep my data full time on the phone and suspend the tablet when we aren't traveling and use it on my home Wifi.

JandC
03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
We have been using Verizon MiFi for a couple of years and had great luck with it. We liked it because it worked good with our wireless printer and we could travel with it prior to getting the Montana. We have now switched to the Verizon "share" package with our I-phones but kept MiFi for laptops. Moving into Montana full time in 33 days (whos counting) so this set up should continue to work great.

HOOK
03-24-2013, 06:23 PM
We use Verizon and are very satisfied.

Art-n-Marge
03-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Same as WeBeFulltime... Verizon 4620 HotSpot, same dataplan, same cost bur we've only had ours for eight months. We connect 2 laptops and a wireless multifunction printer (and can support 1 or 2 more devices). We have a MagicJack plugged into either laptop then connect a phone wire to the printer as well and can send or receive faxes over the internet. Yup we've done that with great success.

Have had no connection problems with non-availability but with finding 4G everywhere (but 3G is okay). While we might not like the speed we end up with, we've been able to connect everywhere which has surprised us. We used this in all parts of the Western States.

Combined with our two cellphones and our comprehensive in-cab nav system we can do pretty much everything and no one can say they can't find us (if we let them) and we can certainly find them. We've used the hotspot and laptops and MFP so DW can email and surf the net while we're driving or towing. I've been known to pull over and do the same (look for campgrounds, hotels, restaurants, roads, etc.) before arrival to an area. Knowing stuff in advance is a great advantage and a great way to pass some time during long drives.

We have heard of others who've had problems with AT&T or T-mobile. No word on the any others. We're happy with Verizon.

DonandJudy_12
03-30-2013, 07:06 PM
We had a Verizon broadband stick first but upgraded to the Mifi when it became available- You can count us among the very satisfied customers- the nationwide coverage is excellent- JMHO-Don

subra1228
03-31-2013, 01:38 AM
We've been very happy with Verizon via our cell phone. Have occasionally needed a (Wilson) booster in remote areas.

danandbetty
04-01-2013, 02:42 PM
We use a MiFi2200 mobile hot spot that can support up to 3 devices at once (works perfectly and rarely are in a non covered area. Ours is from Alaska Communication Systems because they are in kahoots with Verision while we're roaming in the lower 48. As far as I know Verison doesn't currently provide services in Alaska so we can't use them all the time - the only company in Alaska that also currently serves the lower 48 is AT&T which I've vowed to never again use. I have no complaints with ACS MiFi mobile broadbanc.

HOOK
04-02-2013, 02:44 AM
Verizon offers "Hotspot" for I phone. Works great. They probably offer it for I Pad.

steelpony5555
04-02-2013, 03:05 AM
We tried the pay as you go plan thru T-Mobile and found it was about worthless. No access in most all places unless you were in a city. Broke down and went to Verizon and now we have service everywhere. Have not been to a place yet where we didn't. We use a Jet Pack and even going down the hwy use a tablet to check for campgrounds, truck stops etc or just for the wife to pass time and surf the web lol.

Champ_49
04-03-2013, 02:19 AM
I do have a concern with the JetPack. I seen one the other day and they don't support an external antenna. In one location that I stay during the summer months I need an external antenna? We are down in a hole at the lake we stay at and have always needed the antenna for the Novatel 760 with 3G only. Do you think the JetPack needs one?

Reason I ask is I might be getting to a point where I need to replace this one I have, it seems to be getting slower all the time.

Dave

steelpony5555
04-03-2013, 04:07 AM
I think the Jet Pack I have does have an external antenna, I know the clerk asked us if we wanted one. I chose to try working with out it and if need buy it later. So far I havn't needed the external antenna.

8.1al
04-03-2013, 04:16 AM
You may have seen an older Jetpack as the new ones do have a antenna connection

Mel B.
03-06-2017, 09:21 AM
We have property in northern Washington, I was just reading up on the MYFI I've had verizon for 20 plus years. Anyway we were up there for a month last August and we had no Verizon phone coverage. MYFI says it will work anywhere If I have phone coverage So I guess since We don't have phone coverage then no internet?????
Thanks, Mel

Beau2010
03-24-2017, 10:07 AM
We have ATT phones and got really tired of the overages in campgrounds that either had no wifi or really crummy wifi. Now have 4G Community hotspot that operates off Sprint towers. Original cost was $265 first year with annual renewal of $120. Supposed to be 30 G per month but even though they keep track of usage, you don't get charged for overages. We have used it from South Carolina to Arizona and never found a place it did not work well. Obviously works better around cities and along the interstates but we never found a place where it doesn't work.

richfaa
03-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Verizon for everything including the Verizon Mi Fi7730. We are all over the country and so far it works everywhere.

jcurtis934
03-30-2017, 07:28 PM
Use a jetpack as well. Got new one because battery on old one swelled up and wasn't safe. New mifi unit not as good on reception here in florida farm country, so we recently got a pepwave surf on the go and it corrected a lot of the issue with poor cell tower location here. And while we couldn't get reliable park wifi connectivity before, the pepwave works with the parks system and allows multiple devices which appear as one login on the system. We have to pay 40 month for hispeed park service, but it is faster than the mifi. This will give use a lot of flexibility in our fulltiming lives.

Todd727
03-30-2017, 07:56 PM
It depends a lot on where you are going to be. Around Memphis, Verizon sucks and AT&T is outstanding. Other places, it can be reversed. If you can have two carriers, that is the best situation. When one won't work, chances are the other one will. Seems the South East has very good AT&T. Part of that is because they bought Bell South 20 years ago.

richfaa
04-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Verizon Jet pack. We just upgraded to the Mi Fi 7730 from the 890 and went to the Verizon unlimited plan. We are long timers and all over the country. We have always had good Verizon service everywhere. We have not seen throttling yet on the unlimited plan with 30 Gig used. We are near Disney World which is a high use area.

fatcatzzz
04-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Just want to interject something I have been following on another forum. $20 a month for 22 GB, a long but interesting read. $ 99 to purchase a outright. No activation fee.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/126694-20-a-month-standalone-unlimited-att-hotspot-plan/&

Carl n Susan
04-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Just want to interject something I have been following on another forum. $20 a month for 22 GB, a long but interesting read. $ 99 to purchase a outright. No activation fee.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/126694-20-a-month-standalone-unlimited-att-hotspot-plan/&
This is the Connected Car Plan from AT&T using a Mobley router. The Mobley is designed to plug into the OBDII port on your vehicle. Add a 120V to 12V OBDII cable (available from Amazon) and you have a device suitable for use in the RV or home.

Mine has been running for 2 weeks without a problem.

fatcatzzz
04-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Glad to hear that all is well with the Mobley. Mine is on order and should be here Friday. Have you checked the UP and Down speeds? Can't wait to try it. I think it will solve a lot of problems for me and SAVE a few $$$.

Carl n Susan
04-04-2017, 09:58 PM
<snip>
.... Have you checked the UP and Down speeds?
</snip>

I did a n umber of Speedtests while I was Phoenix. Of course it varied depending on time of day and what others in the area were doing to the
AT&T tower. But generally I saw speeds in the neighborhood of 20 Mbps (both up and down). Not too shabby.

fatcatzzz
04-05-2017, 07:59 AM
Great news. That would be adequate for us. Now if I can get my hands on one. Mine was supposed to be here Friday, but I checked this mourning and it's backordered. Now it's next week.

cw3jason
04-05-2017, 08:01 AM
I just use my phone. smart phones have a feature to turn them into a hot spot. I turn that on and my computer can use my 4G data same as a Verizon jet pack without the cost.

fatcatzzz
04-05-2017, 08:14 AM
22 GB for $20 a month. To use my phone as a hot spot is a lot more $$

Mel B.
04-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Whats out there for just internet? we mostly Boondock. I love Verizon they are the only phone that works in my boat 40-60 miles off the west coast. But in the 5th wheel all we want is internet. A few months out of every summer we go to our property and we have no bars. Now according to the nieghbors none of the cell carrier's work there. I just want internet, we can check in with the kids and grandkids without driving 45 Minutes one way to make a call. And my wife doesn't want phone service, she likes not having a phone ring. Internet seems the only way to go
Mel

Carl n Susan
04-05-2017, 12:02 PM
The Mobley plan is an UNLIMITED data one. Like most of the other unlimited plans, after 22GB you *MAY* be throttled to a slower speed depending on the congestion on the tower you are connected to. There have been no reports of this happening yet in the forums I follow. But I bet January in Quartzsite will be the test. The tower there does get saturated.

Oh yea, this is for $20 per month. Try and match that with any other plan.

Mel B.
04-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Carl n Susan,
Does this work even if you have no bars on your cell phone? We spend a couple months a year near the Canadian Border in Wash. Our Verizon phones won't get out at all, and the nieghbors say no cell phones will work there. So if this would pick up the internet even though we are in a dead spot for cell, thats what we want. Also do you know how much power it pulls? were mostly boon docking so I'll be using solar to run it.
Thanks, Me & Shelley

Carl n Susan
04-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Mel B. - Quick answer = No!!!

You have to have a cell tower nearby to get phone reception and the data signal is in addition to the phone one. I have never seen a Verizon tower with only data, but you used to see a lot of them with phone only (no data). The advent of 4G LTE motivated Verizon to add data signals to most of their towers.

Cell internet is not going to be available to you apparently, but have you considered satellite internet? HughesNet is a vendor which will install an antenna for you (they do not lend themselves to being moved around but are fine for a permanent location) which will give you up to 25Mbps service although most users see something (a lot) slower.

HughesNet Web Site (http://www.satelliteinternet.com/hughesnet?kbid=79726&gclid=CjwKEAjwq5LHBRCN0YLf9-GyywYSJAAhOw6mMRboCHKAaWrn7eAJAWxddIriTy4Mzag88Y36 z85lLRoCHkDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Mel B.
04-06-2017, 06:36 AM
Yeah Hughs.net is the only Co. up there, But you have to pay for the full year. Were not ready to stay there year round yet. Even other places where I can get internet on my phone, but I don't know how to get it to my lap top. I'll go to the verizon store and if I can get someone over 12 maybe I'll get help. Might even look into a cheap smart phone with AT&T. Anyway I guess I better finish installing my solar system first.
Thanks, Mel & Shelley

richfaa
04-06-2017, 07:52 AM
Yeah Hughs.net is the only Co. up there, But you have to pay for the full year. Were not ready to stay there year round yet. Even other places where I can get internet on my phone, but I don't know how to get it to my lap top. I'll go to the verizon store and if I can get someone over 12 maybe I'll get help. Might even look into a cheap smart phone with AT&T. Anyway I guess I better finish installing my solar system first.
Thanks, Mel & Shelley

Go to a company Verizon store not best buy or Wal-Mart,etc.The folks at the company stores are a bit more knowledgeable.

fatcatzzz
04-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Carl n Susan,
A quick question, have you had the case off the Mobley to see where the Ext. antenna port is located? Seems like it would be easy to drill a hole in the case so you can access the port. External antenna has got to increase speed as well as increase range from cell tower.

Carl n Susan
04-06-2017, 11:29 AM
No fatcatzz, I haven't even looked at it. I think I read that the internal antenna connections are just solder points on the circuit board. I am not brave enough to to try soldering in there with my solder gun.

BucBuckeye
04-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Verizon Jet pack. We just upgraded to the Mi Fi 7730 from the 890 and went to the Verizon unlimited plan. We are long timers and all over the country. We have always had good Verizon service everywhere. We have not seen throttling yet on the unlimited plan with 30 Gig used. We are near Disney World which is a high use area.

This is interesting - what is the cost of the equipment and unlimited data plan? We currently live near Tampa, but my wife and I just bought a used (2008) Montana that we'll be parking on our land in northern Michigan. We are currently happy Verizon customers as I travel for business and have never had a connectivity issue.

I also carry a Verizon MiFi (just below a JetPack) for work in case I am traveling through an area without a decent internet connection (nothing worse than needing to send a spreadsheet or document to close an imminent deal, only to find that your promised internet connection either doesn't have enough bandwidth or isn't fast enough to maintain a connection).

However, once during a vacation we discovered the promised internet connection was non-existent. I hooked up my MiFi and jumped online to do some work and left my computer connected. Later, my son used his AppleTV to connect the laptop to the cabins large flatscreen - which we thought was really cool - and we watched a movie.

When I returned home I discovered how much that movie cost me (because my son had streamed the movie via the MiFi) - I discovered it had a MASSIVE impact on my data plan - and the price for that (I did NOT have an unlimited data plan) was astronomical...

So I'm wondering if the unlimited data plan utilizing a JetPak to maximize mobility - also carries an astronomical price tag - or has advancing technology (i.e., 4G LTE effectively turned every cell phone tower into a data tower) shrunk the cost somewhat?

If it's reasonable - upgrading my MiFi to a JetPak with an unlimited data plan will be my answer.

You see, my wife and I just recently became "cable-cutters." We no longer have cable of ANY kind. We utilize free digital TV for local stations, bought a Roku device for $100 which allows us to use our AmazonPrime account (that offers streaming content). We also spent another $100 for an AppleTV, which in addition to delivering their own content, bundles Netflix (that account costs $5/month). AppleTV additionally gives us access to a peer-to-peer movie app called "Plex" (it's actually my son's account) which allows you to share your "friends" libraries of digitally purchased movies - for free (think Napster, only instead of music, you get movies) as well as several other media apps like The Weather Channel, etc., NFLive, etc.,

When traveling and desiring to keep track of our local news/weather - we simply log onto their website and select a "livestream" of the broadcast, or of specific stored content. Because my son works for Apple - we've all migrated to Apple products - MacBook laptops, iPads, iPhones - our AppleTV device allows you to select "Airplay" from any device and "throw" it to a large screen TV...no more old eye's squinting at too-tiny screens!!

It's liberating!

The one thing still bugging me has been the DIFFICULTY in finding "internet only providers. The cable and satellite providers have used government "donations" to limit competition (and consumers rights) in government protected "territories" to the ISP's who donate. If we could buy internet ONLY package it would allow us to manage the programming content WE want. Unfortunately, the lack of "choice" forces us to use their pre-packaged programming that THEY think you should be allowed to see for the price THEY want to sell it to you, reserving the right to throttle you when they experience periods of high use).

Yes, like I said, if the JetPak via Verizon unlimited data plan allows me the ability to determine my OWN programming options - for a reasonable price - it will solve several problems...

cpaulsen
04-16-2017, 05:57 PM
We have the latest Verizon JETPACK MIFI5510L 4G.
Works great & much better than any of the previous Verizon
hotspots.

Same here and put our Jetpack in a WeBoost cradle.....and use an external antenna. No problems with Verizon.

cpaulsen
04-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Also we have the Verizon Unlimited plan for our 2 iPhones...2 Pads and 2 laptops....runs about 45.00 per month.

mlh
04-16-2017, 06:17 PM
cpaulsun. I have 5 devices 2 phones, home phone connect, IPad, and a MIFI. It cost $180+ per month. How did you get 6 for $45.
Lynwood

cpaulsen
04-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Mis-it wrote........runs 165.00 per month.