PDA

View Full Version : 2004 F-350 vibration

Flastro
06-17-2004, 02:59 AM
Ford owners, with Auto tranny , I have noticed that with the rv hooked up, under a moderate to heavy acceleration that I get a "shudder" or vibration for a few seconds until the rig is moving. (in 1st gear) Im thinking its a result of driveline angle change due to the heavy pin weight. Anyone else experience this? I have been too much of a hurry or plain forget about it until Im already on the road. Just wondering if mine is the only one. Does not feel like tranny slippage. once the truck is rolling , its not an issue, even under hard downshifts and acceleration.

NJ Hillbilly
06-17-2004, 09:50 AM
GM had a similar problem and switched from 2 piece to single piece driveshafts.

John

vickster
06-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Kenny - Asked hubby (Ronnie) about your "shudder" problem. He says he has not noticed this. We are planning a 1600 mile trip next week and will report back when we return home. During this time we will pay attention if we notice anything in our F350.

sreigle
06-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Mine is an '03 model but doesn't do that. Should be the same engine and transmission. Yours should still be under warranty so maybe the dealer should check this out. I'd have to doublecheck but I think mine has a single piece driveshaft. I've heard of torque converters causing this as well as driveshaft carrier bearings. I would think what John said would be a possibility, also, assuming it's a two-piece driveshaft.

Our truck will be a year old this Sunday and will turn 39k miles this weekend. Poor thing never gets a rest.

Flastro
06-18-2004, 02:47 AM
Thanks folks! I work on these things for a living (trucks that is) But the old habits still apply, Techs will work on everyone elses stuff but usually hate working on their own *S* I have a friend thats a top notch roofer..he has needed a roof on his house for 10 years! Steve, your correct , its still under warranty, It just drives me nuts to have to drop the ole truck off and leave it for days. Then again, im too lazy to crawl under it. Was hoping others would say. Been there done that and make it easy for me *S*

Flastro
06-18-2004, 03:48 AM
OK, found this on dieselstop.com....maybe there is a simple fix, ill have to do some more digging, below are posts from other Ford owners

When pulling my 5th wheel and starting out on a hill, I feel a shudder or vibration in the drive shaft. It stops as we continue. I checked the "U" joints and they seem OK. I think it might be the carrier bearing in the middle of the drive shaft. Has anyone had this simular problem?

There is a TSB out on this involving shimming the carrier bearing. Check with you dealer for details

Roofcam
06-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Flastro...I had a similar problem with my 2001 F-250. The dealer did put shims in the driveshaft carrier and the problem was solved.

sreigle
06-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Here's another place to check. Dieselmann's site lists all the tech bulletins. If you take the tech bulletins link, there's another link for 6.0 TSB's. I try to keep an eye on this one.
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/home.html

Turn your sound down or off or you'll have to listen to an idling diesel.

Flastro
06-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Steve and Roofcam, thanks, I have the link you posted saved and have not checked it lately, (and your correct, gotta turn down the sound)guess I need to. I need to schedule the truck in for that problem as well as the A/C blowing warm air at idle,I found a TIB for that also.

Sue
06-26-2004, 04:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by Flastro

Ford owners, with Auto tranny , I have noticed that with the rv hooked up, under a moderate to heavy acceleration that I get a "shudder" or vibration for a few seconds until the rig is moving. (in 1st gear)

I get the same thing when pulling the horses!!!;)

Montana_213
06-27-2004, 04:25 AM
I had a similar problem with my 2003 F350. It would vibrate without the trailer attached. The vibration was worse when making turns. I could really feel it through the steering wheel. Dealer shimmed the carrier bearing and presto problem solved. :)