PDA

View Full Version : Ticks on poodle while camping

TerryClaudia
03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
We are going on the road for a couple of months in May up north. In the past our poodle has gotten a few ticks even though she is on advantage which does not protect her against them. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to prevent them getting on our pets?
I'm thinking of buying a pet collar.

DQDick
03-13-2012, 01:59 PM
We use Front Line on our animals. Our stick home is in the woods and ticks are everywhere. It keeps the ticks off as well as the fleas. You have to apply it monthly. This year we were gone for January and February, normally not a problem, but when we got home our German Shepard had a couple of ticks on her. The kids took care of her, but no one thought to put the Front Line on her since it was supposedly winter. We put the front line on and they dropped off after a couple of days.

Waynem
03-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Miya is on Sentinel but when we know we are going into wooded areas we purchase Frontline and apply it. They can be used simultaneously.

Check with your Vet for meds your pooch is on and see if there are any problems.

jjackflash
03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
We have a large Lab and use K9 Advantix II It's good for various types of Ticks. We go up to Oregon quite often and never had a problem.
Jack

HOOK
03-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Put garlic in their food in addition to collars and Frontline.

bncinwv
03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
As others, we use Frontline on the cat and the dog (not the same type though) and have never had a problem.
Bingo

CORattler
03-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Wow! Ultra doggie breath!! :D[:p][:p][:p]
No wonder the ticks fall off ...[:0]

quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Put garlic in their food in addition to collars and Frontline.

WaltandLynne
03-13-2012, 04:08 PM
It is important to understand how the chemicals work. Plese do not overlap treatments as they can overpower your dog and cause real complications. Some meds go well together and some don't. Talk with your vet about what is right for your dog. Even the breed of dog can make a difference.

This site compares products.
http://www.healthypets.com/compare.html

This site explains what the individual ingredients do. Be sure to scroll down on the page.
http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/dog-health-nutrition-faqs-reference-guides/7266893-flea-tick-control-compare-products-understand-ingredients.html

Good luck controlling these little devils!

Lynne

HamRad
03-13-2012, 09:08 PM
When we know we're in a tick area we simply start scanning the guys very closely. We've found 2 or 3 on them in the last couple of years. Even with their back colors it is fairly easy to spot the ticks. We then just pluck them off and dab the area with some oinment. We used to do the chemical collar type thing but gave up on that. It did not seem to work too well and I started to worry about what effects the various chemicals might have on the little guys. So far it has worked great just doing the close inspection. Good luck. Dennis and Mary Kay and the Boys

seahunter
03-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Haven't tried it yet, but have heard good things about cedarcide:

http://www.cedarcide.com/

One of their products is a natural tick repellant, hate to use the chemicals on the little guys.

CamillaMichael
03-14-2012, 04:31 AM
We have our vet give Abby a shot to deal with lyme disease, associated with tick bites.

Mrs. CountryGuy
03-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Ok, I know my fur kids do not walk in the woods, they go out to their crated area, go potty, go back in Tana. They rarely are walked in campgrounds. One reason, other big dogs that are not restrained and charge and chase us. Another reason, they have weak immune systems, they are old, they are both in pre-heart and pre-renal failure health conditions.

I cannot use the chemicals on them due to their weak immune systems. I have found ticks on them, or fleas. Mr. G must be allergic to fleas cause that poor dog will go ballistic if there is a flea on him.

My vet tech suggested I wash them with Pert human hair shampoo, green bottle. She said they use it on very young kittens and puppies, even fur kids that are sickish.

It works for us. What a nice surprise. I don't remember seeing another tick or flea since I started using the Pert.

Not guaranteed to work on your field running fur kid, has been pretty successful on my house bound old sickly ones.

TerryClaudia
03-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Ali is taking advantage multi because frontline didn't work as well. This also has heartworm control in it. Talked to Vet she reccommended a tick collar for a mear $45.00. Thanks for everyones help, will do more research on everyone's suggestions. Thank goodness she's white so those ticks can be seen pretty easy.

CamillaMichael
03-15-2012, 04:01 AM
The way I understand it, the standard flea and tick meds work by putting a chemical in the animal's blood...the tick/flea bites/draws the treated blood and then dies. If the insect was carrying a disease, like lyme disease, the animal may now be infected. A couple years ago we were alerted that ticks in Maine (up north?) were noted to be carrying lyme disease. We now have Abby treated every year prior to our trip up north.

subra1228
03-15-2012, 04:12 AM
We use Frontline Plus and (crossing fingers) have never had a problem with fleas or ticks. Good luck & have fun! :)

Captain Joe
03-15-2012, 05:06 AM
Frontline every month and never had a problem with fleas or ticks and we live in MO. Wish they had something for me and my loving CHIGGERS!

Art-n-Marge
03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
While Lyme disease started in Maine and eventually made its way to other Northeastern U.S. states, this was decades ago. We checked with several vets and they all admitted that Lyme disease has been found in victims (human and animal) in all lower 48 states. For that reason one of the regular shots we were giving to our fur kid is a Lyme disease shot. We no longer have our pet, but if we get another, that one will get the shot too. As for us humans, we are still taking our chances, but we are pretty good at communicating and knowing where we've been to help with any issues we might have while our pet is not as good at doing those things.