PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Shores Area

jimcol
01-15-2012, 10:55 AM
We are planning a trip to the Gulf Shores area first couple of weeks in April. Would appreciate any recommendations on campgrounds in the area. Search showed some members high on Gulf Shores state park. Would appreciate current comments on this park as well as any others in the general area. Thanks, Jim

donr827
01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
We stayed at Anchors Away in Foley, Al. Very nice cg with all the amenities. It is a new cg with not a lot of mature trees or bushes. Just a short drive to the beaches.
Don

Mrs. CountryGuy
01-15-2012, 12:32 PM
The state park may or may not take reservations, CALL on the phone!!

We have full hookups, 50 AMP. Paved sites, paved roads.

Loads of hiking/walking and biking trails.

Bobcats (I saw one just 2 campsites down from ours very early one AM, no photos), armadillo, WITH photo op (http://reflectionsfloraandfauna.blogspot.com/2011/12/armadillo.html), lots of other birds, egrets, etc. The beach is about a mile?? give or take from here. It is CLEAN and I see evidence that BP is still out there looking for tar and such. We did have purple flags for a while, and there were some Portuguese man of war dead on the beach (http://reflectionsfloraandfauna.blogspot.com/2011/12/jellyfish-and-portuguese-man-of-war.html).

You can get packages delivered here via the brown truck, FedEx or US Mail (priority mail), but you cannot get individual envelopes delivered by US Mail.

There are TONS of fab restaurants (just ask AL, who loves seafood, he sees food and he loves it) and shopping (Tanger) and so many things to see you can keep busy for months. We kept busy for 5 months here 2 years ago. (My blog has reports about a lot of that, you can browse around by year and then month.)

Yes, I could go on and on, and I have, on my blog! LOL See my sig line for link to the blog.

There is also Gulf Breeze campground, CALL ahead. There are others around as well, type Gulf Shores campgrounds into a Google search, lots of names, these are the only ones I am familiar with. Anchors Away is about 6 miles north of the actual beach at the end of 59, per Microsoft Streets and Trips.

It is a fun place, and will be starting to get crowded in April, spring break and all.

RESERVATIONS, in my opinion, highly recommended.

HAVE FUN!!!

Champ_49
01-16-2012, 01:17 AM
I agree with Carol. She done a good job of explaining all there is to do in Gulf Shores. I highly recommend the state park, but as she says get reservations if possible. They are very busy that time of year.

Dave

pineranch
01-16-2012, 01:58 AM
I also suggest reservations. They will not assign you a specific spot at the State Park but will reserve a site. Usually not a problem after April 1 as all the snowbirds take off for the north near that day. Suck the leaves right off the trees they do.
Mike

Champ_49
01-16-2012, 04:02 AM
LOL Mike.......I didn't think of that. Your right them snowbirds will be leaving like flies that day. Should be plenty of sites available!!

Oh yea and think spring break, oops I'm not 21 no more............geesh!!!

Dave

indy roadrunner
01-16-2012, 06:06 AM
Champ - when did they raise the age limit to 21? From what I've heard it starts much younger than that if they don't get caught.

padredw
01-16-2012, 08:45 AM
We called a couple of weeks ago and found that they would not accept reservations for this week, but we drove up this morning around 10:30 and had no trouble getting a wonderful site in Gulf State Park. This may not be typical, but they do hold a certain number of sites for short term use. Maybe we were lucky, but we are certainly happy.

We will meet Montana Forum members here: Carol and Al(see above); and John (OntMont) and Donna. Wish we could stay for a month, but we have to get back by Sunday.

jimcol
01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks to all for responding. We were able to get reservations at the SP campground for the first week in April. I remembered someone was staying there but search didn't return useful info. Once I saw Carol's response I remembered it was her. Thanks for the very detailed reply. Still looking for info in New Orleans if anyone has additional recommendations Jim

Champ_49
01-18-2012, 12:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Champ - when did they raise the age limit to 21? From what I've heard it starts much younger than that if they don't get caught.

Yikes, I can't comment on that with her looking over my shoulder!!!! LOL

Waynem
01-21-2012, 06:09 AM
I promised to love, honor, and cherish.

I never said a darn thing about going blind.

We are probably going to get out of "Dodge" middle of end of Feb-Mar time frame. That may be a way we head, although I do prefer the military installations, who knows. Hmmm! Spring "chicken" break.

sreigle
01-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Jim, I think you and Linda will enjoy Gulf Shores SP. We spent a week there earlier this month and have decided one of these winters we'll stay much longer.

By the way, the SP has a really good wifi. We had were using it from our rig with no problem.

jimcol
01-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks Steve for your comments, and thanks to all who replied. We are really looking forward to it. Jim

Champ_49
01-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Dang Steve, we must have just missed you. We left GSP on the 6th of jan. where we stayed for 3 months this yr, and now in Crystal River FL. Would have been nice to have met you folks. Oh well, maybe sometime down the road.

Dave

sreigle
01-29-2012, 03:52 AM
Dave, I'm sorry we missed out on meeting you two, also. We were there from Jan 1 to Jan 8. So we were there when you were. We were in site 173 or 178. Something like that. It was on that street. South side, just west of the sidewalk leading to the bath house that's on the north side. Were you close to there? Seems like maybe Quail was the name of the street but I'm not sure. Darn CRS.

Champ_49
01-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Steve we were on Gator over by the lake, lot 255. Not to far from Al and Carol. Our travels will have us meet up some other time I am sure. Take care and enjoy.

Dave

sreigle
01-30-2012, 02:24 AM
We visited Al and Carol while there so probably drove right past your place. As you said, one of these days...

Bucky573
02-06-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm in Gulf Shores area now and have been here since 02Jan12. Try to get into "Lake Osprey RV Country Club". There are only 24 sites at present with plans for future. This place is GREAT. Beautiful park, large sites, fantastic clubhouse with GREAT staff. It's about 20 minutes to the beaches from here and kinda out of the way, but nice quiet setting.

jimcol
02-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Thanks Bucky573. We are already booked in the state park but will give it a look see why we are down there. Jim