PDA

View Full Version : Not a Ghost Town yet

Ozz
08-01-2011, 03:02 AM
160 miles from the border we found our little, and I mean little town.
A gas station/RV Park office/convenience store in a 100 year-old building, a U.S. Post office, and a old bar in the tiny town is all you get. Oh, it has a multitude of empty buildings along the main drag, some pretty well kept up, a couple restored. It doesn’t take long for me to bike the length of town down to the railroad tracks.
The old bar is the show here, like an old time saloon, complete with the large wood-burner and cattle dog laying on the floor. I can sit in there and imagine the dead of winter here, cowboys and ranchers coming in the front door, stomping the snow off their boots, rubbing their hands together and heading straight for the 6’ tall glowing wood stove. Above, there are hand-cut wooden beams and posts, carved and written on by the thousands of visitors and tourists over time.
If you had to come up with everyone’s idea of a small town country bar, this would be it. Glad we found Reed Point Montana.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/20110731ReedPointMontana?authuser=0&feat=directlink

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zqdczs.jpg

sfish
08-01-2011, 04:03 AM
Looks like a movie set for one of those biker movies.

helmick
08-01-2011, 04:30 AM
OZZ
What a great time you must be having, so many enteresting places to see.

HOOK
08-01-2011, 04:54 AM
Again ,you gotta love those quaint places.

bigmurf
08-01-2011, 07:04 AM
OZZ: If you stay for the "running of the sheep" be sure you find a cute one. g

BTW: You may want to take a side trip into Big Timber and Livingston on your way West. Several big names with places just South of Livingston in the Paradise Valley.

Art-n-Marge
08-01-2011, 07:15 AM
When we travel and are not in a hurry, we like to drive off the main Interstates. This is one reason why. The real jewels are off the Interstate. Keep them small town pictures coming Ozz!

bigmurf, that was hilarious! One's ability to picture funny comments has a lot to do with how the humor affects you. Having just seen quite a few pictures of the running of the Bulls recently, this sure hit the funny bone real good. That coupled with an old Scottish joke from years back, sure provided a good LOL! If you aren't familiar with the joke PM me, cuz I'm not sure it wouldn't be censured.

bigmurf
08-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Art: We don't make jokes about our sheep out here.g

http://visitmt.com/categories/moreinfo.asp?IDRRecordID=8886&siteid=1

Ozz
08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
I read that and was going to post something about it, but I thought... Naaaaa [:I]

8.1al
08-01-2011, 10:36 AM
I love places like this, thanks for sharing Jim

Ozz
08-01-2011, 01:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

OZZ: If you stay for the "running of the sheep" be sure you find a cute one. g

BTW: You may want to take a side trip into Big Timber and Livingston on your way West. Several big names with places just South of Livingston in the Paradise Valley.

We have a RV site reserved in Livinston, on my list [8D]

bigmurf
08-01-2011, 02:54 PM
OZZ: Which park?

PatnRich
08-02-2011, 12:41 AM
One stop shopping. Early version of the "Big Box" store concept.

bigmurf
08-02-2011, 11:52 AM
OZZ: Bet you are going down to Red Lodge and maybe the Beartooth Highway (NO rig). You may want to drive over to Bearcreek,Mt (just East of Red Lodge) and see if they still have the pig races out back on the race track.

BTW: Notice that a lot of things include ANIMALS up there.g