PDA

View Full Version : Good Sam's Club - Alaska Caraventure

mainer
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
We are considering going to Alaska in 2011. Would love to go this year, but need to save a bit more for that adventure.
Has anyone been on this trip with Good Sam, and if so, what is your opinion? It's for 43 days and the itinerary looks good. Was it worth the cost, or if you had to do it over would you prefer not to go in a group?
Jim & I have never travelled with a group so I'm not too sure about that.
Thanks,
Marge

twindman
01-20-2011, 06:22 PM
I am not sure about organized tours- I am too cheap! So I printed off the itinerary of a tour and pretty much followed the route. I went for about 43 days from Dawson Creek. I took an extra trailer tire and truck tire but had no problems.
Well, not quite! The stretch thru destruction bay is aptly named. I took 3 hours and 20 minutes to go about 100 miles - on a paved road! I think I shook several things loose - a hanger for the electrical wires on a slide, some items inside, etc. I saw another Monty at Tok that had come up from Dawson City thru the dirt road. They took 1 1/2 hours washing the mud off the rig. So there is no nice way thru there.
We had bad weather the whole month of July in Alaska. Even the locals were complaining about the clouds and rain. I briefly saw the top of Redoubt volcano for a few seconds. That was pretty much the only mountain top we saw in a month.
Oh, by the way - the road to Prudhoe Bay is way, way smoother than the stretch thru Destruction Bay. We did a fly/drive to Coldfoot. I would now just drive it myself instead.
Oh, some advice - if you can arrange it be in Yukon/Alaska in August. The salmon were 2 weeks late and we never saw a one in July.
But it is a great trip.

adelmoll
01-21-2011, 02:41 AM
There are many that love traveling in a large group and that is the only way they would go... For us, there is no way we could travel like that.. The main reason is that you are always on a schedule. That would never work for us since many times we stop for a night and wind up staying for a week etc... We found that we met up with several MOC'ers along the way and since there aren't that many roads around Alaska, we ran into them several times.. We became great friends and still get together often.

We spent four months and still did not have enough time..

Helen

CamillaMichael
01-21-2011, 06:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

There are many that love traveling in a large group and that is the only way they would go... For us, there is no way we could travel like that.. The main reason is that you are always on a schedule. That would never work for us since many times we stop for a night and wind up staying for a week etc... We found that we met up with several MOC'ers along the way and since there aren't that many roads around Alaska, we ran into them several times.. We became great friends and still get together often.

We spent four months and still did not have enough time..

Helen
We feel pretty much the same way...we like our freedom of movement on our own schedule. Having said that, one of the best things of going in a group is being able to find/see those things you may never discover on your own. Relative to going to Alaska, I visited Alaska many years ago and have since thought many times about returning in an RV. However, from the accounts of those who have taken their RVs to Alaska, I think I will pass...roads just sound to tough on the coach. For those who have no problem dealing with the roads, have a wonderful time!

lawrenceb42106
01-21-2011, 08:39 AM
We have been to Alaska twice. Each time we went were with another couple. my way of thinking is to find someone who travels like you do and not in a hurry is the way to go. We don't want to be on a fixed time. Buy the Milepost and study it and have a good time. The roads are not real bad if you slow down for conditions of the road.

Wild Horse
01-23-2011, 08:06 AM
I saw the ad for that...7 or 8 grand, right? When we do Alaska, I'm allowing for a departure a week earlier than planned, and allowing for a return 2-3 weeks later than planned. There's no way I'd do a place like that with a group and on a schedule...and there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on something I could do probably as well myself with a little research.
But to each their own, as someone said earlier it works for some and not for others.

mainer
01-23-2011, 08:31 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Wild Horse

I saw the ad for that...7 or 8 grand, right? When we do Alaska, I'm allowing for a departure a week earlier than planned, and allowing for a return 2-3 weeks later than planned. There's no way I'd do a place like that with a group and on a schedule...and there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on something I could do probably as well myself with a little research.
But to each their own, as someone said earlier it works for some and not for others.

[
In response to Bill (Wild Horse), your price is right, it's very expensive and that's not including your "fuel" or food. I just wasn't sure about going thru Alaska by ourselves was a good idea or not. Of course my husband doesn't mind, it's the wife (me) that questions. From the responses that I have received it seems quite a few folks do it alone.
Last year we took a 3 month trip to the Southwest from our home in Maine and we had a great time. I did all the research and planning for that trip and I would have plenty of time to check out Alaska.
Thanks for your insight, who knows maybe we'll wind up running into each other in Alaska.

timandsusan
01-31-2011, 10:49 AM
We traveled with another couple who had there own 5th wheel in 2007 but returned on our own. Traveling alone is best for us. If the weather is bad or the fishing great--change your plans--you are in control. As far a meeting people--no problem. We met great RVers all along the Alaska Highway and in Alaska. We were in Alaska about 8 weeks-late June to late August. Next time I would stay later but arrive about the same time. If you want to salmon fish--check the average run dates--remember these are just averages and be flexible. Frankly the best eating fish is halibut--more of a job to catch them. The most fun fish to catch is northern pike--great fighters and not to bad in the skillet. Salmon are in the middle. Check out our trip journal or Bill and Helen Molls Trip Journal to see what to expect. or send an email.

jsmitfl
02-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Just start researching it and you can get all kinds of travel stuff from the state. Get the Mile post and another one good to read is Rving Alaska by land and sea. You can also got to some diffrent forums and get good ideas. Theres a lot of trip journals also if you search for them. Take notes and then plan your own trip. You will be fine.

Art-n-Marge
02-03-2011, 07:46 AM
I've read success stories of people doing caravans. They were willing to pay for others to plan and set things up and they would follow the leader. There are plenty of people like that. They are of the "safety in numbers" mentality.

But if you are of the more independent type and like to plan on your own and want some flexibility to change things on the fly, or are pretty confident in resolving a possible problem, then this may not be what you want.

I wouldn't like the caravan. Possibly too many people, too regimented, too inflexible and especially too expensive for me. However, I have plotted a trip using their agenda for when we get up the courage and money to try it. We've been on about 50% of it using other means. I might even consider one or two companion rigs with some of my friends or family we know real well.