PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Tomorrow..the easy way!

RKassl
07-20-2010, 01:46 PM
We had planned a 9000 mile trip in detail from Wisconsin to Homer, AK, for several years now. Well, after our 6000 mile trip out West last year with all the driving, we are still going to Alaska but by plane, ship, train and motor-coach.

Flying to Vancouver tomorrow, catching the Celebrity Millennium up the Inside passage ending the cruise in Seward, then by train and bus all the way to Fairbanks and back to Minneapolis. Our RV trip would have been about 3 months, this will be 16 day and no driving this time.

We made it up the Inside Passage the cruise was 7 days and we disembarked in Seward. Right now the wife and I are sitting in The Talkeetna Alaska Lodge looking toward Denali. We took the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Talkeetna, tomorrow back on the train to Denali for two nights. Then up to Fairbanks for two more nights. Alaska so far is a big rain forest with super thick clouds and rain, the locals say this is normal?!

Actually the wife and I are happy we cruised here rather than RV it. The campgrounds are not what we have in the lower 48, basically gravels and a place to park and most seem rather small.

Diesel ranges from 3.55 to 4.00 per gallon.

See ya later

See ya later!

Yamaha_Mama
07-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Have a wonderful time. We are doing a similar trip in September!!

CamillaMichael
07-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Have a happy and safe trip.

exav8tr
07-20-2010, 03:10 PM
AND, You get to miss all those frost heaves.......... Enjoy the trip. I spent 14 years in Anchorage and loved it. Too long of winters finally chased us out........

BB_TX
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
I would love to tow the Monty to Alaska. But I don't think I would want to have to turn around and tow it all the way back again.
We did not take the cruise, but did fly to Fairbanks and took the train from Fairbanks to Denali NP to Anchorage. Then rented a car and drove to Seward and back. And a glacier viewing cruise on Prince William Sound. Flew back from Anchorage. Awesome country. Would love to go back and do it again.

DHenry
07-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Have a great time.

Tfthorp
07-20-2010, 05:34 PM
We left Long Island on June 14 and have been in AK since 6/30.The roads havent been anywhere near as bad as I was anticipating but the TV did come out of the cabinet. Unfortunately it didn't break, my way of getting a flat screen!!!! We are in Ninilichik now it has been great. As for the trip back we now have places that we saw that we'll stop at. Its worth the trip at least once.

washley1
07-20-2010, 06:10 PM
I spent 18 months up there with Uncle in '71 and '72. We went up on a Holland America cruise 5 years ago, Vancouver to Seward, then train to Denali and Fairbanks. Absolutely loved the trip! I want to go back with the rig and spend some time.

PapaBeav
07-22-2010, 09:05 AM
We also did it the easy way a few years ago when we took a 14 day cruise out of SF. The most beautiful place in the US, you will just love it. But we are still planning an RV trip up there some day. Have fun and stay safe.

busterwms
07-23-2010, 04:46 AM
Enjoy the trip! I believe once you have been there you will want to go again and stay longer. We took our 2980RL all the way from FL and back and never regreted the trip (at least one time anyway). The rig gave us the chance to stay the whole summer before getting rushed out by the cold. Enjoy!

Bruce Lenhardt
07-24-2010, 02:55 AM
We took the same trip in early June of this year on the Millenium. It was a wonderful trip. Everything great. I would suggest taking the train trip out of Skagway. A little pricy but great scenary. Also if you want a thrill, try the Zip Line when in Icy Strait Point. Billed as the longest in the world, a mile long, and up to 60 MPH. Have a great time. We are glad we took this trip and not the Montana. I do see however that having the Montans up there for a longer time would be fun.

rames14
08-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Enjoy your trip. We went the easy way once. The next time will be the long way - I hope. Best of luck.