PDA

View Full Version : 4 x 2 or 4 x 4

Lady RV
02-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Which kind of vehicle do you use to pull your Montana?

Lady RV
02-09-2010, 05:57 AM
To those of you who posted on the other poll that was published earlier we apologize as we were experiencing technical difficulties and had to delete the original.

maphillips
02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
4X4 2010 F-350 6.4 SRW. Don't use the 4wheel drive alot but it's sure nice to have when you need it.

washley1
02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
You know, I have had my truck for 16 months now, and I don't even know if the 4 wheel drive works. I have never thrown the switch. But I would not leave home without it! There will come a day when I need the 4X to get that rig out of a camp site that's gotten too waterlogged.

RickW
02-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Uh.... neither .....

I went the HDT route for many different reasons, but if I was in the market for a new pickup it would be 4x4. While the 4x4 is not a feature I would use but maybe once a year, I do feel it would be well worth the expense if ever in a situation where it was needed.

boylanag
02-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Just brought home our 2005 Ford F250 FX4 PSD 6.0. We had less for years and always wanted the 4X4 because we have been trapped in wet sites before.

H. John Kohl
02-10-2010, 06:02 AM
I use the 4x4 low range with when backing up. It cuts the back up idle speed from 5 to 2.5 mph. Remember I am manual so I like to have the clutch fully engaged. Have used the 4x4 a couple times other than backing. As others have stated it is nice having the option if needed.

indy roadrunner
02-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Saved by behind when at St Andrews and backed off the main road into sand and the rear wheels buried. Front wheels still on pavement. Another time while trying to back uphill into a site and the rear wheels begin to spin - punched in 4 wheel and backed as if there was no hill. Yep I would do it again.

kdeiss
02-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Used 4X4 a few weeks back backing in to site in the sand.
In 1975 I said I would never own a 2 Wheel Drive pickup again

mojavemike
02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by washley1

You know, I have had my truck for 16 months now, and I don't even know if the 4 wheel drive works. I have never thrown the switch. But I would not leave home without it! There will come a day when I need the 4X to get that rig out of a camp site that's gotten too waterlogged.

I think it would be wise to give the 4x4 a little exercise periodically on a dirt road just to keep things lubed and know that it will work when needed. I think you have hubs on yours. All my parts turn all the time. Wish I had hubs but after market are $$$$$$. just my $.02

rames14
02-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Haven't used the 4x4 since this morning. We got a foot of snow and it's nice to have it before the snow plow comes through. Not everyone is in Florida or Texas.

clutch
02-10-2010, 05:01 PM
I have used two wheel drive trucks in the past and have been stuck several times. I have never been stuck with a 4x4. I do put it in four wheel drive at times just to keep everything lubed. I am thinking about getting a kit so I can use two wheel lo. That would be a nice feature to have.

NASCARon
02-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Like others have said, we used to pull with a 4x2 and have been stuck on level ground in wet grass trying to pull the Montana. We will always have 4x4.

richfaa
02-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Had the 05 F-350 2X4. It did not fare well careening around the AZ desert rock hunting. Went with the 4X4 in the 08. Have used it several times in mud at fairgrounds.

sreigle
02-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Awhile back I had to pull our Montana up onto a stack of leveling blocks, three blocks high. They were "stepped" so not damaging to the tires but a long ways up nonetheless. I put the Dodge in 4x4 Low Range and let it just idle the Montana up onto the blocks. Our neighbor came over later and started asking about the Dodge and whether it is chipped, etc. He mentioned how impressed he was the Cummins pulled all that weight up onto those blocks with the engine just idling. Since he was driving a competing brand I didn't tell him the low range is what does that. I've done the same thing with the Ford 4x4's we've had in the past and I'm sure GM would do the same in low range. I figure using low range makes it easier on the torque converter and maybe the engine and transmission, too.

Berry Patch
02-11-2010, 07:29 AM
I now have the 4X4 but previously had thee 2X4. I concur with all the advantages of having a 4X4. After having a hard time finding a buyer for my used 2X4, I know there are more prospects wanting the 4X4's. This is a good reason to buy the 4X4.

Art-n-Marge
02-11-2010, 09:22 AM
I had a 4x2 Ford Expedition and we drove on a long vacation. In the middle of it all I stopped by a drivethrough oil change truck place to have the oil changed as required by the mileage interval. The place was huge and set up so that a semi truck could drive right up on the supports and get serviced underneath, but they also serviced cars as well so I drove up on the bay as directed.

After driving in and getting out to pay for the service with the service manager behind the counter, the young service guy rushed in and asked me, "What happened to your truck?". Puzzled, I asked him to explain why he thought there was something wrong. He said I was missing the front gear box. The guy behind the desk laughed and said, "He's from California, they don't have those down there, cuz they don't go anywhere that needs them". Touche, he was sorta right. I didn't ski or go muddin' so I didn't need it and any snow trips were done when the weather was good and I had chains just in case (In all those years I only needed the chains once for about 5 miles).

Now with towing a trailer, I went the 4x4 route and have needed it at least 3 times and it wasn't ever about snow and ice and only once because of mud. You won't ever catch me with a truck or SUV without 4x4 any more. I also find I am braver about going riskier places since I have it and would never had tried with any 4x2 I had.

bncinwv
02-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Tow Vehicle = 4WD Silverado 3500
Work Vehicle = 4WD Silverado 1500
Home Vehicle = 4WD Suburban

Hmmmm.... I think I see a pattern developing here. I would much rather have it and never use it, than not have it and need it. Of course, where we live, they are used regularly!!

Bingo

Delaine and Lindy
02-11-2010, 10:05 AM
We have always had a 4x4 except with the Chevy Kodiak 4500 and the Freightliner. The major reason I would buy 4x4's is because very few 2 wheel drive Trucks were on the dealer lots. GM Trucks were mostly ordered with the 4x4 option. I must say I never engaged the 4x4 option while RVing. But each none 4x4 Truck did have a limited slip differential, which is a must have option. Is a 4x4 a nessary option, in my opinion it isn't. It really depends on what type of RVing a person does. We have never been in a RV park were a 4x4 is needed and try very hard not to go into cold weather so we want be in snow if at all possible. The price difference and the extra upkeep on owning a 4x4 would be the major reason I would not need a 4x4. And a person can always call for a wrecker service if you get stuck and can do that many time for the price difference of a 4x4 vs 2 wheel drive. But again its just another want or need but the choice is there. GBY....

P.S. Resale is always better with a 4x4, there are many Ranchers and Farmers that will buy a used Truck that was used for RVing. Most are in excellent shape because of the way RVers use a 1 ton Truck.

Clemson1881
02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I had to pull out a buddy's camper once. He had a 2WD Dodge and was stuck. His truck pulled out fine once he unhooked, but it wouldn't budge his camper. He had thrown mud all over his camper front. In 4WD my truck didn't spin a tire pulling out his rig. 4WD is one of those things that if you need it you need it. And if you don't have it and end up needing it..............................

mhs4771
02-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Wouldn't be without 4x4. We live on a deadend dirt road here in Western NY and wouldn't be able to get home half the time in the winter without it. Also use low range all the time for backing into spots, Put it in low range reverse and just idle into just about any spot. Saves gunning the engine and lurching backwards. Have 6 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on the TV, very aggressive tread patern and are wearing great.

Bill-N-Donna
02-11-2010, 02:41 PM
We now have three 4X4 vehicles in our household. The other morning after work I had to take the grand-daughter to her day care. Well her day care is about 5 miles out of town and there is one steep hill and narrow roads to navigate. With about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground & a 5 or 6 foot drop on one side to a creek, it was a good feeling to have the 4X4 for navigating through that mess. Although I was really enjoying it, I was tired and didnít want any problems.

With the long wheel base and dually wheels I notice you can loose traction very easily. There isnít much weight for traction over the axles. I have used the 4X4 several times since Iíve had one and I donít think I could get along without it now.

Art-n-Marge
02-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I think 4x4 is even more important in a dually. The only thing worse than two wheels not being able to gain traction because of no weight in the rear drive wheels, is four wheels not being able to gain traction. The drive in the front of the truck will definitely help since that's where the weight will be.

Reminder, I have read too many times that a dually 4x4 will pull a rig out of mud very easy but one must remember to pull straight out. I read that trying to pull this out on a turn won't work since the RV wheels and tires become sleds on a turn and the turn should only occur after the RV gets going. Just what I've read and makes a lot of sense. I try to avoid mud as much as I try to avoid snow and ice. Too much Southern California in me.

RCN.Stoker
02-12-2010, 09:02 AM
4X4. Got caught in deep gravel and tires of trailer on one side went to rim edge. Put it in 4 low and it pretty well idled out of the gravel. I am also in a snow belt area and two wheels just spin unless I load back end down with weight. Put it in 4 hi and I am solid on the road without the extra weight. Bit more costly and reduces cargo capacity of truck but worth it IMHO.

Champ_49
02-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Pretty interesting post. When I was looking for my tv, my 1st thought was 4 wheel drive. But then I said, why do I need 4 wheel drive for Rving. I will be full timing and never in the cold again. So no snow. Never even thought about the mud, sand etc. Also said I don't want 4 wheel drive due to maintenance on it. After reading this thread I am a bit disappointed in my choice now. Will just have to pay attention where I am going. Also starting to consider the MDT, or bigger. But what do you do with them, there not 4 wheel drive?

Dave

Steve and Brenda
02-14-2010, 03:27 AM
4x4 because you never know when you're gonne need it - and this is from a Texan who had to look up the word "snow" recently.

RickW
02-14-2010, 04:36 AM
As I stated in a previous post if I was to go back to a P/U I would get 4x4. While I consider it a plus for RVing, I do not consider it a must have. In the 9 years I have been driving my 4x2 F250, I have got it stuck 3 times and never in the 5 years I have been RVing. (2 times were when responding to Fire Calls and I had to move the truck off the road in wet weather to let other Fire equipment by on small 2 lane roads). I do have a limited slip rear end and that does help in low traction situations.

Now if 4x4 gives your Peace of mind then yes it is worth the expense, but don't think just because you bought a 4x2 truck that you have bought the wrong truck. MDT & HDT trucks are becoming more common for pulling 5th wheels as the trailers are getting heavier. 4x4 is rare in them and I have only seen 1 RVer who has 4x4 in a MDT. None in HDT. Also keep in mind how many Class A & Class C RV's are out there. How many of those do you see in all wheel drive?

I guess what I am trying to say the 4x4 or 4x2 argument is much like the 3/4 ton, 1 ton, MDT or HDT arguments. At the end of the day you have to make a decision based on what you are comfortable with. There is no right or wrong answer.

danandbetty
02-16-2010, 01:38 PM
No doubt in my mind after about 45 years of driving...even if I were not living in Alaska I'd still buy 4X4. I almost never use my insurance coverage but I keep it up to date - same thing to me.

jackel1959
02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
4X4....I engage it for about 10 miles around the beginning of each month to keep everything lubed and working properly. Like others have said....you never know when you might need it and it is good to have when you do:D I too like using low range when backing in at home as my parking area is slightly uphill. I installed the "Full Pull Towing Mod" a while back and it works well for backing in low range and keeps the front end locked out.
Jack

kountry traveler
02-17-2010, 04:37 PM
WE have a 4x2 cummins Dodge that has worked out well for us and have two insurance policies with good towing benefits that I think I could use if needed. I've always said if I can't there with a two wheel drive I'm not going.
It is my thought the upkeep on a 4x4 will be somewhat higher then a 2x4 and you will lose a few mpg also. I know everyone has different needs and opinions on many subjects and whatever works for you is fine.
Just wanted to comment on the 4x4's and really feel for me it would be a waste of money.

5rvers
02-18-2010, 10:33 AM
I too have a 4X2 and in the 5 years I've owned my truck and towed the Monty I have not been stuck (knock on wood). I do have 2 other vehicles that are 4x4 just not my towing vehicle.

sreigle
02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't think there's necessarily a right or wrong choice on this topic. If we didn't have 4x4 we could probably get towed out by a neighbor, friend, or commercial operator if needed.

However, we have been in situations where I had no expectation that I'd need 4x4 to get out of. One was a few years ago when on the road driving a two-laner in South Carolina. For a long forgotten why reason I pulled over onto the grass shoulder. Probably a potty stop or something. I did not realize how much rain they'd had in that area. The grass was beautiful, the shoulder smooth and level. But darned if we didn't just spin rear wheels when we went to take off again. 4x4 got us out of there but I'm sure the SC highway dept was not happy with what we did to the shoulder.

Another time, in Virginia, we set up for a month in a very nice site. The site was gravel but the access to the backin site was grass. We got so much rain that month that when we went to leave, you guessed it, nothing but spinning rear tires until we put it in 4x4. We stopped at the office and let them know we tore up that section. They said they were planning to gravel it because that's not the first time it's happened.

My point is we can easily avoid situations where it's obvious 4x4 is or will be required. The value of the 4x4 to us is for those times we were caught unexpectedly in those situations. Maybe others are better at figuring that out in advance.

In any case, I don't think 4x4 is an absolute necessity. There's always another way out. It may just not be as convenient as having 4x4. Just my opinion, anyhow.

On edit, I neglected to mention the many terrific experiences we've had and scenery we've seen simply because we could take some of the backroads and easier 4x4 roads. We do not have a dually, which would have somewhat limited that.

mwmemt
02-20-2010, 07:23 AM
This is our 1st Montana, 10 year Anniversary. We love it. We have a 4x4 and have to use it a couple of times getting out of the sand. Never would of made it with out it.

5ER
03-26-2010, 01:52 AM
I was surprised to see so many 4x4's and so few 2x4's in this poll. I lived in Pittsburgh for 50 years and never owned a 4x4 and got around. We have had a fifth wheel since 03 and have yet had a reason to require a 4x4. I always figured if all the semis on the road haul all over the country with out requiring 4 wheel drive I should be able to tow without it also. Maybe I am too thrifty to spend the extra $$cash. I look at it as just more weight to add to my already 22K pound load and I have better pin and tow capacity.

sola123
03-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Having to cross the back 40 acres to get to the road requires a 4x4 for us...cannot enter into the driveway..have used a couple of times in campgrds when on soft ground/grassy areas etc to keep from damaging the turf....use it on the farm as well..

CamillaMichael
04-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Our tow vehicle has 4x4 capability and hope we never need it, but there have been a couple of campgrounds we have stayed at when we had our TT that would have required 4x4 to haul the larger fifth wheel we now own back to the highway. One of these was in Tenn and was located in such dificult terrain that our SUV was spinning its tires on the PAVED access road out of the site! Like other folks commenting on this subject, we are glad to have it just in case....

Jdrobone
05-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah,
I gotta four-wheel drive dually (guess that's six-wheel drive). I've only had this bad boy six months but already had to use the front end to "push" the RV into a tight slippery site. I probably could have continued to use just the rear wheels but they were spinning a little and I wanted a more controlled back up - u never know when they might grab and you're already applying more power than u really need so . . . "be careful out there"
Jerry

gypsies2
05-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Thought long and hard about 2WD before buying my latest 350. Liked the idea of having less weight to service and haul around, less initial cost, and I'm old enough to remember when the only 4WDs available were war surplus jeeps and dodge power wagons. All 1/2 tons were 2WD in spite of long hard winters.
However, to get one meant special order as no one up here brings in 2WD. Short story, bought another 4WD (#4). Like the 4WD for all the reasons mentioned in earlier posts. Great insurance when you do find that slippery spot, really like the 4WD low for backing into rough or tight spots because you just idle in.
The final reason for me was that when I get too feeble to crawl back to hook up I have a better chance of selling a 4WD in this part of the country where you have 4 months of winter and 3 months of "bad sledding"

DonandJudy_12
05-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Just rejoined the 4x4 brotherhood- Traded Ol Dusty (95 F350 CC Drw) for 05 3500 GMC CC Drw- Had a 4x4 Chevvy back in the day we played in the mud and snow- Couldn't find a 2x4, so got a 4x4 (really a 6x6)- I am sure it will be needed sooner or later- Good to be back in the "club"- JMHO- Don

tjuhl
05-26-2010, 03:43 AM
I have a 4WD Dodge and have pulled a travel trailer and then the Monty about 25000 miles and have never needed the 4wd, but I'm not sorry I have it. I do, however, wonder how much always driving the front axle and driveshaft may hurt fuel mileage.

KathyandDave
05-31-2010, 12:57 PM
We have used the 4WD a couple of times, so we're glad to have it. The downside is the weight it adds to the front axle.

Fire1
07-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Use the low range on the Dodge every time I back into grassy sites and in the case of Florida sites sandy. would not have a tow without the 4X4.

PowellsMonty
07-22-2010, 06:18 AM
I wouldn't be without 4x4 even if I din't have a 5er. It is there when I need it, and you get most of the cost back when you resell it.

SKOOBDO
07-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I've had to use the 4x4 option 3 times while hooked up to the 5er. Came in handy.

pineranch
08-16-2010, 02:09 AM
At one time I believed the only thing a 4X4 would do is leave you stuck farther out in the sticks. When I became a boat owner and now RV owner (sold the boat), I am a firm believer in a 4X4 for all the reasons previously given. You only need to be stuck in sandy soil once to come to the embarrassing conclusion you really need a 4X4.
Mike

Dogman131
03-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Wouldn't tow with anything but a 4x4. I needed one time to get out of the campground at Zion National Park. There was already several inches of snow on the ground and they were getting ready to close the roads. I got out with no problem. I don't know if I would of had the same result with 2 wheel drive. We also like to go exploring in the mountains looking for ghost towns. Another thing I learned is to use 4 low when backing up the 5th wheel. Especially on any type of incline. It takes the load off the transmission. The transmission guy told me that after I burnt mine up backing up my driveway one too many times.

KathyandDave
03-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Once again, the MOC has taught me something - backing up in 4-Low. Never woulda thunk it myself. Thank you, all.

DQDick
08-29-2011, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't be without a 4x4. I hardly ever use mine, but when I do we, or someone I pulled out of the ditch, would have been in real trouble without it. Peace of mind is worth the related costs.

Gorgeguy
08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
My driveway is about 150 yards long, uphill and gravel. When I slow down to open the power gate, I would not get rolling again without the 4x4. It is not a luxury, it is a necessity.

Waynem
08-29-2011, 06:16 PM
I didn't vote because I don't tow (SOB remember) but when I did tow the 3400RL it was with a 4x4. There were a couple CG that were open fields and it rained. I was glad I had it. Pluse, in Texas, there are beach areas where you can drive on the beach. A 4x4 is the only way to go (or AWD)and is a nice scenic experience. Also, as John stated, it made it easier for backing, even with the automatic transmission.

Lambchop
09-04-2011, 03:23 AM
I was hesitant when we bought this truck 4 X 2. Never had a problem not having 4 X 4. It's a dually with limited slip diff. We have very good low engine torque since it's a 8.1 gasser with a Allison. Pulls our 39" Montana out or into soft sand or wet grass. We are never in ice or snow since we leave WI in Oct.
Maybe just lucky?:D

Roy

Jay Bird
09-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Everything we own is 4X4 just like Bingo. TV, Expedition, and Hunting/yard truck. I wouldn't be without them.

RonD
09-18-2011, 05:16 PM
I just sold my 2005 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 2 days ago, I have a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW 2x4 on the way. I don't require a 4x4, never used the 4x4 for towing, I prefer less upkeep, and rack and pinion steering, no wandering that the solid front axle causes, if I get stuck I have a tow rope, and will find someone to help, or call AAA.

TYR
09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
We bought our truck off the dealer lot and did not intentionally get 4x4, but it certainly came in handy when we ended being up North during last Winter. Used it quite a bit, both with the Monty and on its own.

Delaine and Lindy
09-24-2011, 06:40 AM
Its just a choice, there is no right or wrong!

Ken Ralston
11-06-2011, 10:04 AM
As a new owner of a 4x2 I feel it is like a motorcycle, if you fall over once in sand or off road once, your a little more cafeful where your going next time. I guess I bought the 3500 Dodge 4x2 because after having a 4x4 and the ride,steering, and milage I hope will be better. I drove a 2 wheel drive for years in the dead of winter thur middle of the nite blizzards for 27 miles and open roads but was careful of what and where I went. Having a 4x4 doesn't exempt you from getting in over your head it just makes it deeper to get out of when you do I know i have been there too.

calvin
11-07-2011, 02:35 AM
I have been in several places, if I had a 2 wheel drive I would have not been able to stay there. Rain, Sand and other factors made it impossibe without 4 wheel.

tim43
11-07-2011, 02:58 AM
Just got a new 2011 Chevy 3500HD SRW 4X4 to replace my 04 2500HD 2X4 and it is good to have a 4X4 again. I park the rig on grass in my yard and the area is on a slight incline and the ability to pull out of that area after /during a rain is made easier by the 4X4 capability. As others have said, it is each individual's choice.

gmstrom
11-14-2011, 01:01 PM
4x4. Like the other comments, I haven't used it much but it did come in very handy last spring when I had to pull the Monty out of a campsite that became water logged during our stay. The tires slipped in 2WD but was a piece of cake in 4WD.

richfaa
11-14-2011, 02:58 PM
This is the first 4X4 we have owned and we ordered the truck with 4X4 after we got stuck in the desert in AZ rock hunting with our 2X4. We used the 4X4 the 4th of July weekend getting into a small C.G in Ohio. The entrance road was gravel and a very steep grade. This @ 23,000lbs broke loose in 2X4 and we had to go to4X4 high to get in. We have used it many times since we got the truck in muddy fairgrounds.

mboys
12-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Please excuse my ignorance. I would like to take this a step or two furhter if some of you don't mind. We just purchased a 2006 3000RK (34')one owner in immaculate condition. Couldn't pass up the deal but we're a year pre-mature with regard to our retirement plans and hitting the road. Ironically, we don't have a rig big enough to pull it with yet. We would appreciate any input on Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy and 3/4 vs 1 ton. I agree with having a 4x4 living in the mountains of AZ. We had 18" a couple of days ago. I know this may open up a can of worms but any info would be very helpful to us. Our unit has approx. 2,00 tounge weight and weighs approx. 10,000. We have heard many recommendations. Just wanting to hear from the ones that know. Thanks to all.

Wiesehan
12-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I am on my 4th Dodge 4x4. There are too many times that due to wet grass, sand or mud that you can't get into or out of some of the RV sites. Add in some bad unexpected weather or some reason to leave the pavement and two wheel drives just don't cut it in my book.
Don

snfexpress
12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Here's a reason for having 4WD...When trying to level your rig on those orange plastic blocks, we have found that at times it was beneficial to put our truck in 4WD-low. This way I could feather the throttle and gently ease up onto the blocks without having to us a slew of them and make a ramp. In fact I have "rocked and blocked" to get to the right height.

Pugtracker
01-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Us eto have a dually now have a single rear wheel 4x4 biggest difference lower tolls other wise tows just as good

denandannie
02-02-2012, 04:21 PM
I have a 4WD out of necessity. I live 1 mile up a dirt road off the main paved highway. While I don't need the 4WD to get up the road (I generally do not winter camp) I do use it to back up the rig. I live in the forest of northeastern California, so none of my property is paved. There is a slight incline where I need to back up the rig. The 4WD is an asset. One final thought. If I ever come home from a camping trip and find its snowed, the 4WD will get me to my front door.

JNG3455SA
03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
I have owned 4x4s for year because I needed it to go where I needed to go. Now I just drive them for the occasional need, but still wouldn't be without it. To my point, I engage the high range 4x with some regularity on a dirt road and put her in 4x low for a 1/4 mile or so exercise the system and keep things lubed up. I think the factory recommends that you do so, but check your manual. My thinking, if you don't use it, you will loose it. Sure comes in handy when you need it. Not much sacrifice in towing capacity (GCVW) and you will eventually find yourself in a situation where you will wish you had it.

steelpony5555
03-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Havn't had a 4x4 since I left Pa. 4 years ago. And didn't have 4x4 the last year I lived in Pa. either, but I was retired and didn't need to go anywhere in a storm. Once the roads got plowed I did just fine. No I could not go off road or pull cars outa ditchs, but I did ok on the roads. But never needed a 4x4 living in Texas even when it rains. Just make sure you get a 4x2 with a locking differential.

Snowman8wa
08-19-2012, 01:56 PM
4 X 4 all the way! Had several occasions where having the 4WD has made it easier to park my Colorado when we had it and now the Montana. At our base camp I turn downhill and then back up uphill until at driveway and pad. You won't regret it.

Recumbent
08-19-2012, 06:05 PM
All but one were 4X4 trucks and SUVs since 1989 for both work and play, Work: 6 4X4 trucks and 1 car (changed every 60-70K), Personal: 4 trucks and 2 SUVs, still have 89 F150 and of course the 2012 F350. Uhh, the DW has had only 3 cars during this time period, two were very high milage when sold and one still here getting 32 mpg.

warren0620
12-08-2012, 03:30 PM
4x4 Comes in handy!

PackerFan
12-09-2012, 10:43 AM
All of my trucks have been 4x4. Never be without it and have used it several times when pulling the Montana. Real life saver!

RJI47
12-10-2012, 01:19 AM
My first truck was a 4x2, but ever since then, I've gone with the 4x4. Even my cars are AWD which comes in quite handy in the snow.

michael346LBQ
01-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Same with me pickup will always be a 4x4 the Suv will have Awd.
Altho if i was always in a warm area a dual wheel with full locking posi rear end would get me by.

You know its funny with no wieght on a 2 wheel drive truck and a little water to make the grass greasey 2 wheel drives dont like to move.

With 4 wheel drive you can buy a less agressive tire that runs smooth down the hwy yet they will get you thru what Mother nature throws your way.

rames14
01-14-2013, 01:43 AM
The drive onto our property is so steep we need 4x4 with any rain or snow. With Monty pulling out, it's 4x4 low in 1st gear.

Chiplynne
01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Used once to back into a muddy campsite and also to get out. Sure was wet along the Northern CA coastlast summer!!

rames14
01-30-2013, 05:54 AM
I just reviewed my answer from 2010 - "Not everyone lives in Florida or Texas". Now I live in Texas. Go figure. Soon to be Colorado.

scductman
01-30-2013, 04:20 PM
I sold the 96 dodge 2wh drive and bought a 09 3500 DRW 4wh drive. This is the first 4x4 I have ever owned so I will have to see how they work. Never thought about the backing in a site. With the old truck It was alittle hard on it sometimes but would always get it there. I will go with the 4 low now since I have tryed it and it is something else in that gear!!
Bobby

Denfinger
03-06-2013, 08:35 AM
I consider my 4X4 on my 2012 F250 to be insurance. There when I need it. Yes I run mine periodically to keep it lubricated mostly while it is raining so it is less streess on everything. But nice to know it is there when I need it or I need to be a good samaritan to someone else in need. :-)

FLtravelers
03-20-2013, 04:49 PM
We've got a 4X4 in Florida, where you need it. It doesn't just get you out of snow. It also gets you out of sand, whether we're pulling or just driving. And Florida has plenty of sand roads - or maybe we're just good at finding them.:D

I've pulled a UPS truck out that was in sand up to his axle. Popped out like it was a Toyota.

DQDick
03-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Have used my 4X4 three times this winter just to get from our campsite to the road. They're installing a new parking lot and it's been total mud on three occasions so far this winter and none of the Class A's have been able to get their toads out on those occasions.

GreatWhite
03-30-2013, 10:07 AM
The only time I ever need a 4x4 is backing up my steep driveway. About 100 feet of steep grade before it levels to the parking area. It will NOT push a 5er up that hill without it. Put it in 4x4 Low and it climbs like a monkey.

laverdur
04-14-2013, 02:04 PM
4x2 is OK if you never get off pavement. 4x4 is a must in dirt sites if it is wet or on wet grassy sites. My rig would still be stuck in Miles City, MT if it were not for 4x4.

K0LCB
05-26-2013, 05:11 AM
4 X 4 is nice in loose gravel. It prevents throwing a lot of rocks

Rainer
05-26-2013, 06:11 AM
When I bought my first 4x4 (I've had four),I was told that a 4x4 just allows you to get stuck further off of the main road...!

sreigle
05-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Never been stuck with my 4x4. Never got stuck with our 4x2, either. Probably because I was more careful to avoid situations where I might get stuck with the 4x2. But with the 4x4 I don't worry so much about it.

That said, we've had several times where we would have had to call for a tow if we were towing with a 4x2. One, we pulled onto a grassy shoulder in South Carolina to make some gps changes. Went to start out again and the rear wheels just spun. I was unaware of all the rain they'd had in that area. Sure couldn't tell it from the grass we pulled onto. Put it in 4x4 and walked right out of there.

Another, we were in a gravel site in an rv park near Staunton, VA, the one where the east rally has been held. This site was gravel but the approach to the site was dirt, between our site and the access road. It was only maybe 20 feet but.... We had lots and lots of rain before our month was up and 4x2 wasn't getting it done to get hitched up, not to mention pulling the rig out of there. Used 4x4 and it was fine. The truck and rig were muddy, but we were out of there. On our own.

I don't think 4x4 is required, by any means. but with 4x2 I'd be a whole lot more picky about where I put the truck and the rig.

Also, we like to do a lot of backroad exploring and geocaching. Sometimes we're on roads that are more like cowpaths where 4x4 is essential.

But most of all I think this is a decision that should be based on personal preferences.

swinters
02-02-2014, 05:19 AM
All of my tow vehicles have always been 4X4. I haven't needed it much but when I have it has been critical. Like the time I stayed in a city owned park while visiting relatives in Iowa. They had real nice compacted, leveled crushed gravel pads but you drove across lawn to get to them. We were there for about a week and it started raining the day after we got there. Rained the whole time, turning the ground under the grass to mush. Soft even to walk on. When we were getting ready to leave the manager said he'd go get his tractor but I told him I'd try it first and see what happened. Put it in 4 wheel drive and went for it. Made a heck of a mess but walked right out of there. Manager said "now maybe they'll give me the money to put in gravel to the pads".

WaltBennett
02-17-2014, 01:18 AM
4 x 4 Not only do we get on dirt and gravel every now and again, there's also snow.

kampincrazy
02-17-2014, 10:25 AM
05 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4X4 have had to use the 4X4 a couple times because of parking on a grassy site that went to mud after a heavy morning rain when we were getting to leave

farmall130
02-26-2014, 12:39 PM
It especially comes in handy on a rough or uphill campsite when leaving. Much better easing out of a place than having to go quick and hard to be sure and get out.

DonandBonnie
02-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Have had to use 4x4 three times since the first of the year to maneuver into or out of sites. Been lots of rain and wet grass.

Virginia Young
06-16-2014, 03:27 PM
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4.

jfaberna
06-18-2014, 06:11 AM
4X2 DRW. I think you have to take DRW vs. SRW into account when you compare traction issues. On gravel I have no issues, but I imagine I could in wet grass, which I will not go in.

Edgardewey
07-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Watched a fellow Montana owner pull his 40' off the pad in pouring rain in NC and buried it to the belly. His 4◊4 Chevy dually wouldn't budge it...Not sure the 4◊4 option is really worth the extra cost for towing. There are just some places a big rig is not destined to go.

richfaa
07-05-2019, 02:19 PM
4X4 does not mean you can take it anywhere. We were bogged down in a mud field at a rally in Missouri a few years ago along with hundreds of others. We have used the 4X4 function maybe 8 or 10 times since 2008 in our F-350 Tow Vehicle and needed it every time. It did get us out of that Mud bog in Missouri only because we were able to move a few feet and got the front wheels on a paved surface which then gave us the traction to get moving.

The desert in AZ was bad and we bogged down twice both my bad but it did yank us out.

Daryles
07-05-2019, 08:16 PM
F350, DRW, 4x4. Lock in 4x4 and use it to back rv into home parking (uphill on grass).

DQDick
07-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Seldom have a use for the four wheel drive, but about once a year I'm real glad I have it.

waynemoore
07-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Have to use 4 wheel to get into my home parking spot.

Starman
02-08-2020, 03:22 PM
Had to use 4x4 a couple times while towing my trailer.

mtlakejim
02-08-2020, 06:06 PM
Where can you tell how old a thread is? I'm thinking this one is ancient?

mhs4771
02-08-2020, 06:15 PM
I have a date and time at the top of each post, the last post on this thread was:
07-06-2019, 12:01 PM

mtlakejim
02-08-2020, 06:20 PM
I have a date and time at the top of each post, the last post on this thread was:
07-06-2019, 12:01 PM

Your right I missed that. OMG the original post was in 2010??

Daryles
02-08-2020, 06:53 PM
Yup, started 2-9-2010

Goliath-goes
02-08-2020, 06:56 PM
F350 6.7 powerstroke deisel

jeffba
02-08-2020, 07:27 PM
Some threads never die

G & S Russell
02-18-2020, 07:50 AM
Wouldn’t a Dually technically be a 4 wheel drive vehicle? Always wondered how to answer the question, “is it 4 wheel drive?” at the parts house. So it would be a 6x4? Keepin the tread alive.

mhs4771
02-18-2020, 08:47 AM
Wouldn't a 4 wheel drive Dually actually be a "6 X 6"??

G & S Russell
02-18-2020, 10:20 AM
Exactly! That’s what I’m saying!! Every Dually is 4 wheel drive.

Carl n Susan
02-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Not all duallys have front wheel drive. But 4 of the tires are always driven.

allmi958
02-20-2020, 08:16 AM
in my case dually and both ends driven so 6x6

Renegade1LI
03-12-2020, 08:45 PM
We have always had 4wd, but more importantly I always have tire chains. Saved us quite a few times not to mention the down hill braking with chains. They're like studs on a sled.

Camp CA
03-13-2020, 09:37 AM
Which kind of vehicle do you use to pull your Montana?

Drove a 4 x 4 for 17+ years and only used it twice pulling my skiboat trailer up a slippery boat ramp and never while towing my fifth wheel. Now own a 4 x 2 and love the lower ride and ease of getting into the truck.