PDA

View Full Version : Digital TV Replacement

ols1932
11-28-2009, 12:29 AM
We're getting ready to replace our TV set. I know there are a lot of different brands and every one of us has our own brand likes and dislikes. Is there a consensus on the brand that most people like? I've looked at Sharp and Vizio and both seem to be very good. What are your opinions? I know that we all think ours is the best, but I'm looking for a consensus.

Thanks, Orv

Champ_49
11-28-2009, 12:50 AM
I have the LG LCD and it is a very nice unit. Was a bit pricey at the time I bought. If I were to buy right now, thinking it would be the Samsung. Great picture and a good price.

Dave

Tom S.
11-28-2009, 01:00 AM
We have replaced 4 TV's in the past two years with HD units. After researching a bit, we decided on Samsung. The first two were 720 and the last two were 1040. The 720's looked good, the 1040's looked outstanding. Even after several months, when I see the 1040 in the living room I'm amazed by the picture. Of course the signal has to be in HD for you to notice a difference. When we replace the trailer TV's, it will be Samsung.

You need to be aware of one thing however! To get the most out of HD, you need to use a HDMI connection/cable. Unfortunately, someone in the industry failed to do their homework because HDMI does not support closed caption! I hope this gets 'fixed' and doesn't require new equipment other than the cable/satellite receiver, but for now it does not work.

deadeye
11-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Orv:

I have tried a couple of brands. I like the Sony systems best. We also have a Toshiba. The Sony is easy to program and when you change the channels to a higher or lower number, there is not a delay of a few seconds. The Toshiba has a delay between the channels. Another feature of the Sony that I like is the name of the program (program ID) that you will be watching comes on when you change the channel just for a few seconds. Both are good units, but I just like the Sony features better.... Another note as you probably know, being from the electronics field..... HD or Digital TV's do not like extreme tempertures (HOT or COLD). It cuts the life of the units considerably. I bring mine in to stick house during the winter months. You shouldn't have a problem being a full timer...JB in Iowa

William H. Collier
11-28-2009, 02:49 AM
Tom, I have 4 HD tv's hooked up to Direct TV via HDMI, 2 in the stick house and 2 in the Big Sky, and I dont have a problem with closed caption on any of them.
Bill

The last 2 I purchased were Samsung, they are excellant.

DarMar
11-28-2009, 03:04 AM
We have Panasonic tvs in the house, very nice, dependable and pricey too. This past summer we put a Sony in the RV and as I agree with Jack's thoughts I would buy another Sony in a heartbeat.

helmick
11-28-2009, 03:12 AM
We bought a cheap 32" Vizio at Walmart. It has been towed over 7,000 miles this year with no problems.

simonsrf
11-28-2009, 04:18 AM
Orv,

Last week we bought a 26" Samsung, Series 3 360 (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN26B360C5DUZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail). We paid $398 at WM, think they are cheaper today.

The best part is that it sits right on top of the DVR and fills the space perfectly without having to use a TV bracket.

Tom S.
11-28-2009, 05:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

Tom, I have 4 HD tv's hooked up to Direct TV via HDMI, 2 in the stick house and 2 in the Big Sky, and I dont have a problem with closed caption on any of them.
Bill

The last 2 I purchased were Samsung, they are excellant.

Bill - weird!? Neither ours or my dad's will display them, and there are numerous posts on the net about it. I wonder what makes yours work and ours not???? Can you shed any light?

PS, Sorry Orv, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread!

EDIT: I did some investigation via Google and here is what I found out. HDMI does not support the signal used for close captioning. However if your cable / satellite box has closed caption capabilities (apparently many do), you should be able to use it and display the captions with the HDMI setup. One complaint was noted in several places about the Comcast DVR box which requires turning the box off and on to reach the needed menu for CC each time you want to turn it on or off.

Hope this helps!

racerjoe
11-28-2009, 06:12 AM
we now have 3 visio's in the stick house, they all have been very good picture quality for the money. The only thing stuck in my mind would be the traveling, I don't know how you can research that,except here. there seems to be many that have changed out their sets and have traveled many miles. Thats what I would look for.

Delaine and Lindy
11-28-2009, 01:10 PM
We have 4 Samsungs, and are kinda thinking about a 24" Samsung to replace the 19" Sanmsung int he bedroom since we have a larger bedroom with the 2nd slide we will be getting a larger Tv. All our Samsungs are HD's. For those who haven't heard the LED's are out and will be replacing the LCD's will it ever end???? GBY.......

exav8tr
11-28-2009, 01:31 PM
QUOTE BY TOM S: We have replaced 4 TV's in the past two years with HD units. After researching a bit, we decided on Samsung. The first two were 720 and the last two were 1040. The 720's looked good, the 1040's looked outstanding. Even after several months, when I see the 1040 in the living room I'm amazed by the picture. Of course the signal has to be in HD for you to notice a difference. When we replace the trailer TV's, it will be Samsung.

Tom, you must be looking forward to Tax time as you refer to your 1080p TV's as the well known tax form 1040. You must be anxious to file this year. lol Just busting your chops!!!!! Phil

firetrucker
11-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Just got a Vizio model 320 (1080p, 32 inch) at Costco yesterday, brought it home and compared it side by side with our Samsung, took it back and got a Samsung 32 inch, 720p. Better picture, much friendlier remote control, and cheaper.

Bob

Tom S.
11-29-2009, 12:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

QUOTE BY TOM S: We have replaced 4 TV's in the past two years with HD units. After researching a bit, we decided on Samsung. The first two were 720 and the last two were 1040. The 720's looked good, the 1040's looked outstanding. Even after several months, when I see the 1040 in the living room I'm amazed by the picture. Of course the signal has to be in HD for you to notice a difference. When we replace the trailer TV's, it will be Samsung.

Tom, you must be looking forward to Tax time as you refer to your 1080p TV's as the well known tax form 1040. You must be anxious to file this year. lol Just busting your chops!!!!! Phil

Yeah, my 'uncle' has made sure he's always on my mind!!!! :D

EDIT: Let me add that I also researched the difference between LCD and Plasma and found out that LCD was best for under 50" and plasma was best for 50" and above. I'm not too sure anyone is going to put a 50" TV in their trailer, but my point is it's not worth paying extra for the plasma unless you're 'going big'.

simonsrf
11-29-2009, 02:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

Just got a Vizio model 320 (1080p, 32 inch) at Costco yesterday, brought it home and compared it side by side with our Samsung, took it back and got a Samsung 32 inch, 720p. Better picture, much friendlier remote control, and cheaper.

Bob

See what happens when you do REAL research? We like our new Samsung, too.

firetrucker
11-29-2009, 04:25 AM
The old theoretical and empirical research approach, Robbie. We always narrow down our choices before making a purchase, then, whenever possible, buy from Costco so we can get it home and try it out. What you see in the store or in the ads is seldom how things really work.

wingerphil
11-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Samsung 32" here. Purchased at Wal Mart and love it.

swanny
11-29-2009, 10:52 AM
I've been doing a lot of research for my next HDTV, about a month now. Started off looking to upgrade the Sylvania in the monty. Then somehow it switched to the tv in our house. Along the way i learned some things. I started off looking at LCD. Then found out there is LCD/LED. This is an LCD with LED backlight. This enhances the overall picture over fluorescent backlight.
Some companies place the LED around the edge and others across the whole background. Some even change colors to match the display colors. All making for a great picture. Then somehow I started reading about plasma. Plasmas are rated as good as LCD, in some cases better. Plasmas life span is equal to LCD. The refresh rate is better. Plasma have kept up with the times. Best of all plasmas are cheaper then LCD. I'm eyeing a 58" Samsung or Panasonic in the $1800 to $2000 price range. It seems the big players in HDTV are Samsung and Panasonic. From what I've read Pioneer is the best (KURO), but they are getting out of the TV business and sticking with audio. So for me I want the most bang for my buck and that will be plasma. The other thing i noticed is a lot the the tv's that are at great prices now are the older series models. If I remember correctly older series Panasonics are the S1,G10 newer V10. for Samsung older is 5 series and newest up to the 9 series. A good place to start your research is CNET and HDGURU, have fun.

PS If you want to wait lcd will go away to make room for the OLED. Right now you can but one for about $2000. For a 10" screen!!!!!!

Swanny

Rondo
11-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Swanny-- I was down in the electronics section of one large furniture stores here in Omaha and I asked about the difference between plasma, lcd and leds and was told the plasma is actually a projection tv and it projects the image onto a plasma screen where the lcd and the led, which is the newest, are liquid crystal and actually use the crystals to pick up the electrical charges and portray them within themselves on the screen. Now that's what they told me and who am I to doubt them when I'm just a retired mailman! [:o)]

simonsrf
11-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Well, with all of that said, we sure like our $398.00 HDTV LCD SAMSUNG 26" television from WalMart. When this one breaks, we'll do some more research and buy what we need, 'cause I'm just an old retired IT guy who knows nothing about TV's.

exav8tr
11-29-2009, 12:32 PM
WHAT???? STOP THE PRESSES!!!!! Robbie admits he's old!!! What a day!!!! Actually, I would look at the new slimline LED's from Samsung (or whoever). I will be looking for a smaller TV to fit the bedroom space since I burned up the analog monstrosity that is in there now.

swanny
11-29-2009, 12:51 PM
If I understand it correctly plasma is electrically charge gas between layer of glass. I have a rear projection tv now and it has 3 CRT's that project onto a (could be wrong) phosphor coated screen. I'm not trying to tell anybody what's the best or what to buy. Just do whatever it is before you spend your hard earned money on something. For me i researched, I watch them both side by side. plasma is giving me more tv. JMHO

wingerphil
11-29-2009, 12:59 PM
quote:Actually, I would look at the new slimline LED's from Samsung (or whoever). I will be looking for a smaller TV to fit the bedroom space since I burned up the analog monstrosity that is in there now

Phil,

Let me know what you end up with for the bedroom TV. We are talking about replacing ours as well.

Phil

exav8tr
11-29-2009, 01:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by wingerphil

quote:Actually, I would look at the new slimline LED's from Samsung (or whoever). I will be looking for a smaller TV to fit the bedroom space since I burned up the analog monstrosity that is in there now

Phil,

Let me know what you end up with for the bedroom TV. We are talking about replacing ours as well.

Phil

Will do, Phil Phil

simonsrf
11-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Back in the olden days when I was working (Phil), we used plasma screens in the federal courtrooms. I am not sure if they have fixed the problem of "burn-in", but I can attest to a not-so-smart lawyer who didn't follow instructions, and cost the taxpayers lots of money for not moving the screen.

We pause our TV viewing all the time while using the DVR. I would suggest caution with the plasma screens if you view TV using this technique.

scductman
11-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Phil keep us all posted. I want to replace both of mine in my 3650. I have been to wally but I have got to measure my openings to see what will fit. Mine are still analog and cant use them without cable so I am going to replace both.
bobby

swanny
11-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Reviews say burn-in is" almost" a non issue with the new technology. burn-in can happen more with video games. Just reporting on what I've been reading.

simonsrf
11-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Swanny, that is good to know, it only takes once to ruin the TV in the olden days.

Bobby, our 26" Samsung sitting on top of the DVR, fits the opening perfectly.

swanny
11-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Here a pretty good myth buster of HDTV's
www.pcworld.com/article/122629/ten_hdtv_myths.htm

swanny
11-29-2009, 02:11 PM
well that didn't work

Carl n Susan
11-29-2009, 02:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by swanny

Here a pretty good myth buster of HDTV's
www.pcworld.com/article/122629/ten_hdtv_myths.htm

You are missing an "l" at the end. it should be

http://www.pcworld.com/article/122629/ten_hdtv_myths.html

swanny
11-29-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/
ok when you get to the site search" HDTV myths"

swanny
11-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks, When I did the hyperlink that l was outside the bracket. Sooooooooo i deleted it. DOH

swanny
11-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Carl n Susan, that is an awesome reflection photo! I got some this fall that came out pretty nice. Check the link out in my signature. should be in the first group of photos. where is that photo take?

simonsrf
11-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Swanny,

I found this very interesting....thought the LED technology would be superior in energy use....as boondockers, we watch energy use, carefully.

From your link:
However, the coming generation of LCDs that use LED backlighting, while expected to deliver significantly better color, will consume roughly twice as much power as traditional LCDs of the same size.

Thanks for the information.

swanny
11-29-2009, 02:51 PM
That bugs me too, and I'm putting it in our stick house. I try to have energy saving everything. Although that's pretty tough pulling a 38 footer down the road. Maybe that's why I drive a 4 cly. Honda everywhere else. I also read some plasmas get very hot, the reviewer said one could watch tv and heat the room at the same time.

firetrucker
11-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I haven't researched some of the power claims, but after reading the article, I noticed that it was written four years ago, and I expect some things have improved by now.

Bob

Carl n Susan
11-29-2009, 03:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by swanny

Carl n Susan, that is an awesome reflection photo! I got some this fall that came out pretty nice. Check the link out in my signature. should be in the first group of photos. where is that photo take?

You have some beauties in your collection!

My picture was taken on Hwy-542 (the Mt. Baker highway) in northern WA. Near the end of the road is a popular photo opp location. Lots of camera geeks sit there for hours waiting for just the right light, clouds, reflection, etc. The mountain is Mt. Shuksan and I believe the lake is named Mirror Pond. We were visiting RLWHIT, who lives nearby, and they took us to the location. As I recall it is just before the end of the road at Mt. Baker. I tried to find it on Google Earth but all the images were taken in the winter - lots of snow covering the landscape.

firetrucker
11-29-2009, 03:32 PM
I just did some checking on Samsung LED LCD tv's, and they claim up to 40% less power consumption. Taking that with a grain of salt, it probably means less than a standard LCD. It could be measured when you're looking at a standard definition picture and the black areas are dimmed, which a standard LCD can't do. In any case, I'd guess the LED versions don't consume any more than the current versions. More research will tell the apples from the oranges.

Bob

firetrucker
11-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I just checked 3 Sharp 32" LCD's: two standard, one LED. The standard units are rated at 125 W, while the LED unit is rated at 55 W. Significant power savings there.

Bob

DarMar
11-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Swanny, IMHO there is no definate answer as to which is better plasma or lcd, it depends on the application. From my experience the very best for movie viewing in darker lit rooms and typically nite time viewing is a plasma tv hands down. Now when it comes to daylight lit rooms for normal daytime viewing I find the lcd will kick the butt of the plasma. So simply put my next basement tv will definately be the Panasonic plasma but for upstairs daytime use and in the house & monty I will stick with a Sony, Samsung or LG lcd/tv. JMHO.

swanny
11-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Makes sense to me DarMar.

Delaine and Lindy
12-01-2009, 03:57 AM
We have been blessed to have owned both the Plasma and the LCD's. As for energy use I don't have a clue, its just what you pay to have entertainment. We had the Panasonic 50" in our stick house, but it was before we got HDTV, the Picture was great but it was hooked to a Bose speaker system. We have 4 Samsungs 46" down to a 19", we are reseaching a 24" Samsung to replace the 19" in the 5er we we aren't sure if we can get a LED vs LCD. But we may also upgrade our 32" Samsung to a 40" in the 5th wheel also (LED) . Delaine just check you can't get a 19" in LED yet but its coming. Our research seems to indicate that they start with the large screens first and yes they do have the LED's in 40" the price on the Samsung site is $2,000 but to compare price she went to NexTag site and do a search and the price on a 40" is $1,200 to $1,800. The NexTag gives different sites (Stores) for the best price. We have bought form this site, and they do have reviews. I do recomend the LCD's or LED's. We were told several months ago the plasma are being discontinued? You do have to be very careful when buying Samsungs, there are difference. GBY ...