PDA

View Full Version : Health risk assessment

Ozz
04-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Heart scan, hardening of the arteries
I got a heart scan about 7 years ago, had plaque build-up in one artery, (also called hardening of the arteries)
I figured 7 years had gone by, and it was time to get it done again, so I paid the $199.00 for a CT scan utilizing a MDCT imagery and got it done. No insurance involved, not covered by my policy.
Glad I did, because I now have a much higher score, part of this is attributed to my age, An example; score of 150 for a man of 40 would be high, a man of 70, it would be low. I will alter my diet and get more exercise.
A lifestyle change is never easy, and the older we get, the harder it is to change....anything.
I had two tests planned for this month, this heart scan and a ultrasound artery check. This will check the flow of blood through my veins. That test is next week.
If you have a certain amount of plaque in your arteries and you have large arteries, (like water pipes) you will have good blood flow, smaller arteries will be much worse for blood flow. I figured both tests would give me a better picture of what condition my circulation system is.
My physical, just a few weeks ago showed good results for all my blood tests, cholesterol and such.
Get yourselves checked, monitor your blood pressure, heart disease is a silent killer.

ols1932
04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Ozz,
I firmly believe that the RVing lifestyle lends itself to better health. I don't know if it's because a person is outside more or is just generally more active.

Orv

stiles watson
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Good for you, Oz. Keeping track of what is going on is wise. I don't expect to have the quality of life of a thirty year-old, but I want the highest quality available to me. To get this I had to make some diet and behavioral changes. Easy? Not really, but easier once I decided not to do so would show that I was letting appetites and habits control me instead of me controlling them. Well wishes.