PDA

View Full Version : RV Tax & License

ileyld
01-23-2009, 05:39 AM
I am about to become a full time RVer. I need a tax base, and mail forwarding.Has anyone used rvtax.com in Montana? The letter I received from them was very impressive. I like what I see, but would like to hear from someone that uses them.
This forum is great.
Thank You
Lonnie&Linda

bsmeaton
01-23-2009, 07:00 AM
There are a 122 folks in Colorado paying $2.7 million in restitution to the State that are probably sorry they used them.

sorry people (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_9333908)

May or may not apply to your situation, but beware.

Bob & Lee
01-23-2009, 07:09 AM
We use this company now for 4 years and are very happy. You need to not just Reg. the RV but all. become a full SD resident no ties to property in another state. regardless of where you temp stay and have your mail Fwd to you, check the laws.

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/

bigmurf
01-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Go to escapees.com and become a Texan.

lasater
08-19-2009, 06:28 AM
I thought about using SKPs but since I am from Tennessee there are just too many Texans there. I use Americas-Mailbox in Rapid City. Been with them for over 4 years now with no complaints except one. After I listed with them, I got called for Jury Duty in Rapid City. Oh, well. Some bad with the good, huh.

nunya
08-20-2009, 02:32 AM
we use Americas Mailbox also and are very pleased with the service! we went and toured the place and met the crew when we were in Rapid City to do all the registration, DL and all that stuff. Don the owner is a great guy and the girls are all on the ball. They made the transition very easy!

dandt
08-20-2009, 02:58 AM
We also use americas mailbox in Rapid City SD. Very easy to use...you can even set up your mail on a reccuring system right on the internet. They are very prompt and if somthing happens like a snowstorm and they have to delay, they send out an e-mail so you are aware of delay. Very affordable 99$ year plus postage and $1.00 handling fee. And they will handle all your title changeover for a small fee, the only thing you must go to the state for is DL every five years. Good luck with full-timing you will LOVE it. Teresa

sreigle
08-22-2009, 12:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by lasater

I thought about using SKPs but since I am from Tennessee there are just too many Texans there. I use Americas-Mailbox in Rapid City. Been with them for over 4 years now with no complaints except one. After I listed with them, I got called for Jury Duty in Rapid City. Oh, well. Some bad with the good, huh.

Brad, you might call the courthouse about that jury duty notice. When I called the Minnehaha County (Sioux Falls) number listed on my jury duty notice the message said if we're fulltime rv'ers to write 'fulltime rv'er' on the back of the questionnaire, sign and date it, return it and they'd send me letter excusing me from jury duty. I did. They did. I'm happy. This was in the last couple of months. There's a thread on MOC I started to report about this. Good luck, I hope your county does the same.

Lonnie & Linda, if you have any interest in South Dakota, we use Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls. The url is www.alternativeresources.net . If I can answer any questions, don't hesitate to click the envelope icon above this post and email me. We've used them since Feb 2003.

Parrothead
08-22-2009, 01:22 PM
We second the motion of Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls. We've been with them two years now and have had great service. DL and tags were easy to get as well as insurance.
Happy trails..........................

David and Jo-Anna
08-22-2009, 02:44 PM
We've also used Alternative Resources for the last two years with good results.

FYI, when people look at the MOC license plate holder on our vehicles, they all think we have Montana license plates rather than South Dakota plates because the MOC holder obscures the South Dakota script on the license plates. Wating to see if and when we get ticketed for obscuring part of our license plates.

bob n pam
08-22-2009, 02:47 PM
We have used Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls for 6 years and have found them to be very good.

Pam

adelmoll
08-22-2009, 03:35 PM
First let me say that we also use Alternative Resources and are very happy with it....

Off the track just a bit is the maps I see of Steve/Vicki and Bob n Pam.... What do you have against North Dakota? It is a great state... (In the summer)

Helen

bob n pam
08-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Isn't that funny that we are so close yet so far away! We had intended to go to North Dakota on our way back from Alaska last summer, but it just didn't work out that way. It's on our "list".

Pam

sreigle
08-24-2009, 09:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

First let me say that we also use Alternative Resources and are very happy with it....

Off the track just a bit is the maps I see of Steve/Vicki and Bob n Pam.... What do you have against North Dakota? It is a great state... (In the summer)

Helen

ND is high on my list to get to yet, Helen. Especially TR NP. I recently requested and received a ND vacation guide. Next year or the one after...

pms2554
12-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Check this artical from associte press dated 12/11/09
http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/apArticle/id/D9CGP1503/
This is what maybe required to renew your South Dakota driver licenses in the future.

nunya
12-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Now that is a very interesting article, something for all to look at close. May have to follow up on this to see how it does affect so many of us full-timers. Nothin good lasts forever

adelmoll
12-12-2009, 01:08 AM
All of us that use Alternative Resources received instructions for this change and it does not look like it will be a problem at all. The State is very good to RV'ers. I just received an extension on my renewal of my license in the form of a temporary permit to my current one until we get back there in May. I will not have to take the test over again.

I have to bring the receipt of the campground we stay at while there and my passport or birth certificate. Not a problem for me.

richfaa
12-12-2009, 03:22 AM
The Montana LLC is NOT a good idea. We have run across several folks on the road who are now in big trouble.

ols1932
12-12-2009, 06:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The Montana LLC is NOT a good idea. We have run across several folks on the road who are now in big trouble.

Yes Rich, and I'd venture to guess that these same people were warned about the Montana LLC thing not being good for us who are full timers. The only way it works is if you are using Montana as a domicile. Sometimes people don't listen, or don't want to hear. My mother, bless her heart, used to say, "I buy you books and buy you books and all you do is chew the covers off." In other words, people do their own thing anyway.

Orv

richfaa
12-17-2009, 02:43 AM
Right Orv.. I guess I should have added...do your homework first. met a full timer in a huge MH who well knew he was doing wrong but was interested in saving a few bucks....he lost.. Others were advised by "experts" that it was legal... I still see those miss leading ad's.

Since we are not full timers but long timers we are able to maintain Ohio residence and use USPS mail fowarding or mail holding when needed. That works for us...thus far...

7.3Ford
04-02-2010, 02:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Rich, Dumb question... what is Montana LLC.

richfaa
04-03-2010, 03:30 AM
LLC = limited liability Corporation. The Montana LLC(The state) works fine IF you follow the law in regards to the Montana LLC. If one does not follow the law and uses the LLC to avoid paying sales tax you do so at your own risk.

lasater
04-03-2010, 04:46 AM
sreigle,
That jury duty was back in 2006. I did get a delay since I had signed up with Tracks to Adventure for their Baja tour. I have spent a lot of time working up there at the Former Badlands Bombing Range on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation (I am a retired Explosive Ordnance Disposal Tech [military] and a retired Unexploded Ordnance Tech [civilian]). The jury duty was with Pennington County and was actually interesting. We stayed at the Berry Patch Campground that is now a mall at exit 60 IH-90.

DonandJudy_12
04-03-2010, 06:39 AM
We have used Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls for 10+ years- Have not had any big problems- The staff is very knowledgable and helpful- Renewing drivers licences now requires a passport or birth certificate, 2 pieces of mail showing your mailing address ( Insurance policy and vehicle registration worked for us ), a current receipt from your campground or motel and your current South Dakota drivers license- You must renew in person on or before your birthday or take THE test again- My DW renewed her license 180 days before her birthday on the same day I renewed mine 1 day before mine expired- As a real native South Dakotan, I am probably prejudiced (sp)- It is unlikely we will retire there but it will always be "home"- Don

adelmoll
04-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Good link to read and very timely...
http://rvnewsservice.com/http:/rvnewsservice.com/massachusetts-cracks-down-on-montana-llc-rv-tax-savings-plan.html

Helen

hamcamper
05-26-2010, 03:52 PM
We've used Alternative Resources since 2005 and have a very good relationship with them. The only difference between them and the one in Rapid City (I think) is that Minehaha county has a wheel tax of $4.00 a wheel.

dreamers2010
06-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I would be interested in finding out the costs for South Dakota Domicile. We will soon be going FT and had thought we would keep our residency here using a UPS Store. But, when I bought the tag for the 5er yesterday was "shocked". Decided I might want to look around.

Thanks, Judy

mazboy
07-09-2010, 01:24 PM
kinda late but when i purchased another truck and the new 5th wheel i became a south dakota resident.
1. cheap insurance
2. don't have to get a vehicle inspection
3. 3% sales tax
4. on truck only the difference of the trade in was taxed.
5. registered to vote

so, i'd just as soon go with south dakota.