PDA

View Full Version : Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

David and Jo-Anna
12-11-2008, 03:27 PM
We arrived Dec 1 and will be here until March 31. What a beautiful, green desert. Come see us......................Tell the people at the campground kiosk you know us and they will let us know you are here.

HamRad
12-11-2008, 04:30 PM
David and Jo-Anna,

I so envy you. What a great time to be at that location. The sunshine, the clouds, the rain! You will get some great pictures. Our first visit was after a wet winter and the desert was an artist's pallet! The colors were astounding as was the volume of plant life.

Enjoy and I hope you are kept busy with visitors. We may end up coming down that way after Q.

Dennis and Mary Kay

simonsrf
12-12-2008, 03:36 AM
We've been there before, and what a beautiful place!

Nice having MOC camphosts with the inside scoop! We'll be there after Quartzsite, so please keep us informed about which campsites are the best! We'll give you plenty of notice.

BTW, there might be 50 of us, would that be a problem?:D[8D]:):D

BirdingRVer
12-12-2008, 06:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

We've been there before, and what a beautiful place!

Nice having MOC camphosts with the inside scoop! We'll be there after Quartzsite, so please keep us informed about which campsites are the best! We'll give you plenty of notice.

BTW, there might be 50 of us, would that be a problem?:D[8D]:):D
If there is a Progressive Spring Rally, why not a Progressive Quartzsite Circle with Organ Pipe as the second stop?

Right now we are planning to go to Organ Pipe after Q but, we do change plans on a daily basis.

Robbie, Are you thinking that there will be 50 people or 50 Montanas? :-)

David and Jo-Anna
12-12-2008, 07:20 AM
We'll be at Q......and look forward to having you all at OPCNM!!!

Actually, we are not campground hosts - we work in Resource Management doing surveys of exotic species and also removing buffelgrass which is threatening the park. We stay in the volunteer campground on the other side of the visitor's center.

simonsrf
12-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Jo-Anna,
Grant,

I was thinking there might be 50 rigs! Pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem now that we have connections!!:):D[8D][:p]:D:D

BirdingRVer
12-12-2008, 11:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Jo-Anna,
Grant,

I was thinking there might be 50 rigs! Pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem now that we have connections!!:):D[8D][:p]:D:D

With 50 rigs if each person volunteers 1 hour all on the same day then, David and Jo-Anna will be done with there entire volunteer commitment in one day. :D

Robbie & Dennis, Since we now know that the second stop of the Progressive Quartzsite Circle will be Organ Pipe. Where is the third stop going to be? ;)

Robbie, Are you still in Texas?

Grant aka BirdingRVer

David and Jo-Anna
12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey Grant that is a WONDERFUL idea - anyone wishing to volunteer to go into the desert and pull buffelgrass as a team just let me know and I'll arrange it.

50 rigs!!!! Really?????

Jo-Anna

Rondo
12-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Dave and JoAnna-- They are planting the buffalo grass up here in Nebraska. It's all over here and seems to be OK with our ag guys. Maybe they can make a deal with our Dept. of Agriculture and send it here! ;)

David and Jo-Anna
12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Rondo,

Buffalo grass and buffelgrass are not the same.

Rondo
12-12-2008, 12:15 PM
That's good! Hate to see all that good grass going to waste!:D I guess you could always roll it or twist it and burn it in your fire rings!

simonsrf
12-13-2008, 03:55 AM
We're still at Padre Island National Seashore, Texas. http://www.nps.gov/pais/

You should see what is right outside our back window!

Going to be here until the first of the year when we head back to Quartzsite.

Hope everyone is enjoying the same weather as us! 8:45 am, 70 degrees, slight warm breeze out of the south, supposed to get up to 73 today.

Last night, had a campfire down by the beach to enjoy the full moon, and roast a couple of wienies, and taste a few bottles of wine.

AAAAaaahhhhhhhh the sound of the surf....wish you were here!

This fulltiming thing is tough stuff!

And to stay on topic:

There are only 35 days, 2 hours, 56 minutes and 23 seconds (CST), until the Quartzsite Rally!!

Rondo
12-13-2008, 04:08 AM
You don't have to rub it in! It's 35 here right now and suppose to get into the mid 40's today--HEAT WAVE!! Problem is the high on Monday is suppose to be 19 with a low of 2. A few days ago the temp in a small town north of Omaha hit -1! I need to head South!!!

David and Jo-Anna
12-13-2008, 04:32 AM
It's been in the 70s here this week - next week it will get a little cooler, maybe as low as 65!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, life can be tough sometimes.

simonsrf
12-13-2008, 04:42 AM
Ron, I do feel your pain. Well, not really, but it is a nice saying and hope it makes you feel like someone cares.:D:D

BRB, have to put more suntan lotion on.

Jo-Anna, I think it would be a great thing if we could all volunteer to help you with the buffelgrass. We should put a discussion on the rigorous Q agenda!

David and Jo-Anna
12-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Robbie - I think that would be great too - plus we get to hike into areas most people don't get to see.

8.1al
12-13-2008, 05:20 AM
We will be in Organ Pipe on Jan. 30 after a detour to Algodones

David and Jo-Anna
12-13-2008, 05:28 AM
Charlie and Nila,

That's GREAT!!!!!

8.1al
12-15-2008, 05:12 AM
We would also be glad to spend some time helping with the Bufflegrass

49merc
12-15-2008, 07:10 AM
So Robbie, where is the picture of what is out your window?
Bob

simonsrf
12-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Oh Bob, you're going to make me hijack Jo-Anna's topic!
:D
http://i35.tinypic.com/m0pog.jpg

Just guessing, but are you in Yuma and starving for scenery?:D:D

49merc
12-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Robbie, that is a beautiful view! No, unfortunately were are still home in Oregon with about 4 inches of snow yesterday. Down in the teens for temp. Wish you were here? Hope to get to Yuma the middle of January. Jan had total knee replacement so that delayed us a little. She's doing great! Enjoy that view. (sorry to hijack the topic)
Bob

David and Jo-Anna
12-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Thought you'd like to see a picture of David while he was locating buffelgrass today:

http://i41.tinypic.com/nl4opx.jpg

Come on down!!!!!

HamRad
12-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Jo-Anna,

Nice photo. But looks like way too much work is going on down that way! What a nice day you appear to be having.

Dennis

8.1al
12-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Thanks Jo-Anna, I especially like the caption under the photo

49merc
12-21-2008, 07:51 AM
8.1al, that picture in your signature is quite interesting. Where might that be?
Bob

8.1al
12-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks Bob,
I took that at the sand dunes in Death Valley when we were there in November for the 49ers encampment

rldriver
01-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Jo-Anna,
If it's OK with David we would like to be the 51st rig to come and visit after Q. You guys will be so busy you won't have time to pull grass.:D

Dick & Jackie

simonsrf
01-04-2009, 02:47 PM
We're getting closer, made it to Benson, AZ.

If Charlie and Nila think pulling bufflegrass would be fun, count us in!

We'll see about trying to convince a few more MOC friends.

49merc
01-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey Robbie, While your in Benson take a little trip up to Gamins Gulch if you have time. It's just north of Benson not too far. It's a reassembled ghost town and the couple that run it are very enjoyable. He was an actor in some of John Wayne's movies and has all kinds of old stuff and there. Jan and I had a great time there.
Bob

simonsrf
01-04-2009, 03:31 PM
We're running out of things to do....thanks!:D

Isn't it amazing how busy you get when you're retired?

No wonder the later years of life go by so quickly.

Thanks, Bob, we'll see if we can get everything done and go see it, before heading to Q.

49merc
01-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I think you'll really enjoy it. They are great people to visit with and when your done you can relax and have a sarsaparilla in the old bar.
Bob

PS That's Gamins Gulch, I was just corrected by my DW.