PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday in Florida

bncinwv
11-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Here I am sitting at an outlet mall in the middle of the northern panhandle of Florida, catching up on the MOC thanks to free wi-fi at Panera Bread. The women are starting early on the Christmas shopping, no way Dear old Dad is getting out of the truck!!!! Now who else is this dedicated?????
Bingo

Emmel
11-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Bingo, a couple years ago, we were at one of those big malls in Pensacola and the guys were doing the same thing, only it was about 11am. We did separate from the women and then met then at Hooters :Dfor lunch. My kind of shopping trip when you can get the dw in a Hooters:D for lunch!

indy roadrunner
11-28-2008, 03:24 AM
Bingo, if I am not mistaken there is a Bass Pro Shop right close to you. Drop the DW off at Outlet and tell her when you will pick her up that is if you have room left in the Pickup after shopping at Bass Pro.

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
11-28-2008, 04:50 AM
Another good place to hang out while someone is shopping is at the new Cabela's in Post Falls, Idaho, on I-90 (Exit 2, I think), just east of Spokane and west of Coeur d'Alene. Getting to it is not the easiest thing to do; you can see it looming on the horizon as you get near it, but you have to exit well before or well after it, and then creep around through a little business/residential area to actually get to the parking lot. The aggravation is worth the trip, however. My grandkids loved the huge indoor mountain decorated with appropriate vegetation and tress and covered with full-size mounts of everything from moose to mountain goats to beaver. There's also a running stream at the base of it, complete with a pond containing real fish (rainbows, I think). In little caves and crevices on the mountain, the kids spotted other animals. That alone entertained them for a long time. There's a candy/sweets room, too, which I should have saved for last, or at least for after lunch. (Cabela's has a nice place to eat a buffalo-burger lunch during a shopping break); standard beef burgers are available, too, along with many other choices.)

My grandkids also enjoyed the "shooting range" located in one part of the store. It was a pretty fancy setup, far more realistic than any others I'd seen.

Best of all, Cabela's provided many benches scattered throughout the store for sitters and people-watchers. My grown kids and grandkids could have spent half a day in the store just looking at everything, so I enjoyed sitting and watching everyone else gawk at all the neat displays.

I've done my time at outlet malls in Texas and Colorado, which was fun except that no wi-fi was available at either when I was there. Maybe next time . . .

Carolyn

jackandh2o
11-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Bingo, did you bring the Monty with you. My geography isn't real good but that's a long way from your home base isn't it.

Ray

bncinwv
11-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Ray,
We spent the week in Destin for Thanksgiving and yes the Monty was pulled for 15 hours non-stop to and fro. We have returned safely after driving through fifteen hours of non-stop rain. The suggestions from others were nice, but I don't think anyone looked at the post time. The outlet mall had one of them midnight Black Friday deals and Dear Old Dad took the women-folk for a trip that lasted from about 11:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Nothing else in the entire town was open!! Someone in the area should have stopped by the truck and slapped me upside the head!!! There was no way I was getting out of that truck at that time of night and having to face thousands (yes there were thousands there, the parking lots were completely full and cars overflowed across RT 98 and people then walked to this event) of bargain seeking, pumpkin pie filled energetic women. Absolutely insane!!!
Bingo

Jay Bird
11-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Bingo,
You guys do alot for us women. I had George out at the Military PX at 2am. I wanted a 32 inch tv for the monty and the price was right. The store open up 10 minutes early, we were one of the first 100 people in line and was given each a 20.00 gift card which we used on the tv, also George had an additional 10.00 coupon which brought the tv down even further. We were finished and out the store by 4:15 am. That is good since the store was to open at 4am. Had breakfast went home and to bed. Tell Cathy and the girls hi for me. You guys are great.
Rosetta