PDA

View Full Version : Diabeties? - Diet & Exercise may be an option

BB_TX
09-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Last year, both my wife and I were started on Metformin (popular medication for diabeties) when elevated blood sugar levels began showing up in lab tests. I was over normal on the glucose level and just under on the A1C. My wife was over on both.
After retiring at the end of March and taking COBRA for interim insurance (I am 62/Dw is 60), we spoke to an insurance agent about insurance when COBRA expires and until we reach 65. She said that with us taking Metformin, some insurance companies would not take us and those that did would have higher premiums. On our next doctor visit, we discussed getting off Metformin and trying diet and exercise. He agreed to let us give it a try until our next visit in 3 months. We also went to a diabetic education class (actually 3 2 hour classes) and really learned a lot about how diabeties works and about what, how, and when we should eat. We also began walking 2 miles a day, 5-6 days a week.
Well after 3 months, both of our blood glucose and A1C levels are down to or near normal without medication, our cholestrol levels are down significantly from our last visit (well into the normal range), and both of our blood pressures were down (where both had often been a little high before). Doc reduced DW's blood pressure medicine.
The exercise (while a pain doing it) actually makes us both feel better afterward and more energy during the day. And it is a time we can just be together and talk, or not. And we found we can eat anything anyone else eats, we just have to watch portion sizes. Neither of us are overweight and are not on a diet calorie-wise, just a diet carb-wise. Volume-wise, we can eat as much as ever if we are careful about the types of food we eat.
We both used to be physically active, but became more sedentary over the years. Looks this will give us some incentive to get back there.
Kind of a long post, but I found this experience to be very educational.

rps
09-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Congratulations - I know how tough it is !

Last Winter before my wife and I left for Florida - I had a wake-up visit to my Family Dr -- I have been struggling with Adult onset Type II diabetes for the past 6 years.

My A1C was 8.6, I was getting Fasting Blood Sugars of 180 + and she was contemplating the need to put me on insulin for my type 2 diabetes - something I do not want --

She knew my wife & I were going to Florida for the winter and agreed to give me "one last chance", which I graciuosly accepted --

She recommended I consider the South Beach Diet and add some exercise (walking) to my daily regimen.

After a few weeks in Florida - I finally got serious about what needed to happen, we bought the South Beach Diet book and a cook book from the American Diabetes Association and my wife and I started on what I now call a modified South Beach Diet --

I figured out "how many carbs I could consume on a daily basis and stay within the recommended dietary guidlines", I allocated 25% of the carbs per meal and the other 25% I split between 3 snacks - In my case this allowed me approximately 240 grams of carb - staying at about 80% of my daily allowance, so I could lose weight as well.

We changed our eating habits and for the 1st time in my 50 plus years, I started reading the nutrition labeling while shopping.

I gave up a few bad foods (white bread and rolls) and have added a few heathy ones to my daily diet. My wife has found some healthy ways of cooking some of my favorite meals.

I did have success with this and have managed to bring my Type II diabetes under control, my A1C is now 5.8, and most of my FBS are 95, and have had a net weight loss of 22 pounds --

I still have more to do to get entirely off medication - but I am making strides and I do not consider myself as being on a diet -- just eating "healthy" and getting needed exercise.

We leave for Florida in 116 days and it is my goal for this winter hope to finish what I started and then stay there -- wish me luck

In Health ..

blarkman
09-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Ya I went through the same thing. The doctors now have woken up and checking everyone. My blood sugar was over 400,but by eating better, try to stay away from the white stuff, and do some exercise. The food in Yuma didn't help either. Probaly the best hint is to push away from the table and I have lost 20 # so now am down to 158. Was funny when we went in to see the doctor Carol said "well he sure going to have to quit drinking" Doctor said "carol we don't want to kill him!!' just get him back in line>. Keep up the good work and a good long walk before the bloodwork helps too.
bob

Waynem
09-04-2008, 02:32 AM
In 2003 they said I was diabetic and the GTT came back with 6.2 with a glucose of138. Now that is really boarder line, but it does indicate something is wrong. I also lost weight, 80 pounds, (Put 50 back on) and loosing that weight,l along with exercise put all my levels back to the normal range. I also did the push-away method.

We go out to eat every Friday night, and typically for Mexican food. I would order my full plate of food, eat it, and then help DW finish her plate. Sound familiar. When the told me I had diabetes we still went out on Friday, but I immediately asked for a to-go-box and put half of my food in there before I started to eat. At that crucial time in my life I learned to eat to live instead of living to eat. My entire body felt better because of the exercise and lose of weight.

I have bad knees also, and the reduction of weight helped them because for every 1 pound of weight one has above the knees, there is 3 pounds of pressure on the knees. I was 270 pounds and went to 190 pounds. At 270 pounds people would ask me to hold out my arms when I was moving to see if I was rolling or waddling!!!

Bill, (BB_TX) thanks for this post. It is very educational and maybe, just maybe, someone is lurking on here, read it, and said, "I can do that." You just may have saved a life, besides your own.

Thanks.

49merc
09-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Folks, one of the best things you can do is go to a class (which your insurance should pay for) with your signifcant other and follow their suggestions. Usually you would see a dietician prior to that who will recomend how many carbs per meal and per day. You will be greatly rewarded for your effort as the previous posters have stated. I have been able to hold off medications for several years now because of that.
Bob